F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Online entertainment expiry
proTUNING Freaks

12-12-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
DaveH28
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f31 335d estoril blue

Online entertainment expiry

But of a surprise this week, I genuinely thought online entertainment was 3 years along with RTTI and online services etc..

I didn't spec online entertainment option, but when I got this car I decided it's there so I'll try it..
Actually to my surprise I have ended up using it and now a bit miffed it's expiring.

More miffed because it's £179 for a year..
I could revert back to using my phone for music, but this version of nbt seems to go back to the first song every time I connect...
It worked better back in 2013 on my first f30..

Anyway, cutting to the chase, is there any lifetime fix for online entertainment, like CarPlay etc..
I'll do without at £179 a year, but something cheaper and more longevity I would consider.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Get Carplay, it makes online entertainment completely obsolete.
Appreciate 1
Pequin230.00
      12-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #3
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH28 View Post
But of a surprise this week, I genuinely thought online entertainment was 3 years along with RTTI and online services etc..

I didn't spec online entertainment option, but when I got this car I decided it's there so I'll try it..
Actually to my surprise I have ended up using it and now a bit miffed it's expiring.

I could revert back to using my phone for music, but this version of nbt seems to go back to the first song every time I connect...

Anyway, cutting to the chase, is there any lifetime fix for online entertainment, like CarPlay etc..
I'll do without at £179 a year, but something cheaper and more longevity I would consider.

Thanks in advance.
I've just sacked it off for Apple Music
      12-13-2019, 05:17 AM   #4
Gaz330d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F40 M135i xDrive

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
It was around £125 on Black Friday a few weeks ago. I bought it again for my M140i as I couldn't get on with the bluetooth connection everytime.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 05:23 AM   #5
Abzynthe
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Gran Coupe LCI

Since getting carplay, I now use Amazon Music. The one feature I miss from Online Entertainment is the ability to search for music or songs. Amazon you can only search playlists or music you have selected to 'Follow'
      12-13-2019, 07:56 AM   #6
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Get Carplay, it makes online entertainment completely obsolete.

+1 - Also try Tidal which is Carplay friendly.
      12-13-2019, 08:35 AM   #7
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz330d View Post
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
It was around £125 on Black Friday a few weeks ago. I bought it again for my M140i as I couldn't get on with the bluetooth connection everytime.
Have you got the latest Bluetooth software? It should never, never drop out.
I've got CarPlay, but can't seem to get on with it tbh. So I stream by Bluetooth. All your music is still searchable from the idrive menu.
      12-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #8
DaveH28
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Personally CarPlay not for me,

I used to work in Infotainment for Bentley and genuinely believe the BMW system is by far the best, the level of engineering and money that goes into is quite unbelievable.

Not really wanting to override with a one size fits all... this is my personal feelings,
I understand CarPlay to and is a great idea to standardise, especially on older cars.. if upgrading the stereo for example..

I have ITunes Match, and all my music is on the cloud anyway and accessed just via iPhone music, have always used that...
just a quirk on id5/6 that seems to reset to the first track in my library... just annoying, so went with the convenience of online entertainment... because it was there.

Bluetooth itself is fine, it's the way music library functionality works that has been updated since the last incarnation of nbt I had in the 440i

Was wondering if I'd missed a coding solution like free map updates etc...

Not to worry, I may have to slum it using the deezer app integration or back to my iPhone library..

Thanks for the replies
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 03:25 PM   #9
L9JVV
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D M Sport xDrive

Am I the only one who hates listening to music via Bluetooth? The sound quality is always worse and the volume is quieter than any other method.

I normally just plug my iPhone in via usb and use the Spotify app. Now the app isn’t perfect but I can play and search for any song I want and it picks up where it last left off.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 05:05 PM   #10
DaveH28
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by L9JVV View Post
Am I the only one who hates listening to music via Bluetooth? The sound quality is always worse and the volume is quieter than any other method.

I normally just plug my iPhone in via usb and use the Spotify app. Now the app isn’t perfect but I can play and search for any song I want and it picks up where it last left off.
I tend to plug my phone in to be honest, the car chooses whether to play as Bluetooth or usb, but I have noticed on the ID5/6 it tends to choose Bluetooth over USB even if plugged in.
There will be logic behind this, but I haven't bothered to work it out yet.

It's as loud if Bluetooth is turned up on phone, caught myself and other people out many times.. default is about 3/4 volume, you have to manually turn it up..
if phone has been restarted if reverts back to default..

I use Bluetooth for convenience, I.e short journeys and not unplugging phone etc..
The old version used to always start where left... on one of the IOS updates Apple made a massive change to how music is played.. how all the apps share the resource etc. This buggered up the working functionality of the cars system, and never seem to have got it right since..

I will add, I do think the ex-infotainment engineer in me stills tests and assesses the functionality too much..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 08:15 AM   #11
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Quote:

I normally just plug my iPhone in via usb and use the Spotify app. Now the app isn't perfect but I can play and search for any song I want and it picks up where it last left off.
I tend to plug my phone in to be honest, the car chooses whether to play as Bluetooth or usb, but I have noticed on the ID5/6 it tends to choose Bluetooth over USB even if plugged in.
There will be logic behind this, but I haven't bothered to work it out yet.

It's as loud if Bluetooth is turned up on phone, caught myself and other people out many times.. default is about 3/4 volume, you have to manually turn it up..
if phone has been restarted if reverts back to default..

I use Bluetooth for convenience, I.e short journeys and not unplugging phone etc..
The old version used to always start where left... on one of the IOS updates Apple made a massive change to how music is played.. how all the apps share the resource etc. This buggered up the working functionality of the cars system, and never seem to have got it right since..

I will add, I do think the ex-infotainment engineer in me stills tests and assesses the functionality too much..
Quote:
Personally CarPlay not for me,

I used to work in Infotainment for Bentley and genuinely believe the BMW system is by far the best, the level of engineering and money that goes into is quite unbelievable.

Not really wanting to override with a one size fits all... this is my personal feelings,
I understand CarPlay to and is a great idea to standardise, especially on older cars.. if upgrading the stereo for example..

I have ITunes Match, and all my music is on the cloud anyway and accessed just via iPhone music, have always used that...
just a quirk on id5/6 that seems to reset to the first track in my library... just annoying, so went with the convenience of online entertainment... because it was there.

Bluetooth itself is fine, it's the way music library functionality works that has been updated since the last incarnation of nbt I had in the 440i

Was wondering if I'd missed a coding solution like free map updates etc...

Not to worry, I may have to slum it using the deezer app integration or back to my iPhone library..

Thanks for the replies
Quote:

I normally just plug my iPhone in via usb and use the Spotify app. Now the app isn't perfect but I can play and search for any song I want and it picks up where it last left off.
Carplay streams to the car via wifi, so it has great sound quality, and it always starts playing from where you left off, although sometimes you do have to press play on the car or phone.
Appreciate 0