F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Will I get adaptive suspension by replacing stock suspension with KW DDC w/ ECU
Studio RSR

12-09-2019, 04:50 PM   #1
sinopath
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i(x) convertible

Will I get adaptive suspension by replacing stock suspension with KW DDC w/ ECU

Hi All, I've read a lot of threads in the forum, but just want to clarify. I think the answer is NO. Because I don't have the factory adaptive system, no suspension height sensor to provide feedback, therefore the shocks cannot respond to the road condition, hence the ride will not be more comfortable in "comfort" setting.

However, the description on KW's website states "In Comfort mode, the suspension adjusts automatically to the respective driving situation" (under the section of KW DDC ECU). So I'm confused whether this suspension is truely adaptive or merely a passive suspension with a remote control (via a button or App on your phone).
https://www.kwsuspensions.com/products/coilovers/ddc

Anyone with knowledge on this issue please help, much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 05:18 PM   #2
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

F30 adaptive suspension is not variably adaptive. There are 2 stages only.

Cars with ARS (variable sway bars) utilizes vertical chassis dynamics, but even then those cars do not adapt the absorber rate outside of the 2 absorber settings. Think 5,6,7 series and X5-7 cars as having ARS available.
Edit, not sure the ARS bit was 100% correct about its damper ability. (DHP 5,6,7)

Last edited by AlpineX; 12-10-2019 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 07:08 PM   #3
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

How much?

I read the website.... it's more like Tein adjustable rebound and dampening. Just app, not a wired box on cabin

Last edited by Gen13 F36; 12-09-2019 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 12:48 PM   #4
sinopath
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineX View Post
F30 adaptive suspension is not variably adaptive. There are 2 stages only.

Cars with ARS (variable sway bars) utilizes vertical chassis dynamics, but even then those cars do not adapt the absorber rate outside of the 2 absorber settings. Think 5,6,7 series and X5-7 cars as having ARS available.
Thanks buddy, from my reading of the threads it seems like the consensus of the adaptive M suspension is that the comfort mode is more comfort than the passive stock suspension, while Sport mode is stiffer than the stock, which basically renders stock suspensions inferior in both driving conditions. And the "more comfort" is also backed up by BMW's own videos:

But anyway, I will look into the ARS system.

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 12:55 PM   #5
sinopath
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
How much?

I read the website.... it's more like Tein adjustable rebound and dampening. Just app, not a wired box on cabin
I'm assuming with all the labour and parts it's gonna be 6000-7000 USD. Here is a complete installation that replaces the stock suspension. Please note that the ECU package comes with a button that can be put in the place of the cigarette litter (refer to page 7 of the link). The LED on the button changes color in different modes, as shown on KW's webpage under the title "The KW DDC button - One Button, Three Times the Experience!"

https://motoiq.com/tested-kw-suspens...le-suspension/

Last edited by sinopath; 12-10-2019 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 01:34 PM   #6
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinopath View Post
Thanks buddy, from my reading of the threads it seems like the consensus of the adaptive M suspension is that the comfort mode is more comfort than the passive stock suspension, while Sport mode is stiffer than the stock, which basically renders stock suspensions inferior in both driving conditions. And the "more comfort" is also backed up by BMW's own videos:
I think the comfort mode on adaptive xdrive F30 is quite comparable to standard xdrive suspension.

I havent driven many rwd f30, I would not be surprised if there is a bigger difference between base suspension and comfort adaptive in that configuration.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #7
sinopath
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I came across this article, basically confirms my assumption: the dampers will respond within milliseconds to YOUR COMMAND either through the button or the App. So if you keep your eyes out for the road condition ahead of you and press the button quickly, the car will have an adaptive damper control with your eyes as the sensor.

http://blog-int.kwautomotive.net/tec...-coilover-kit/

For anyone who wonders what the three settings from the KW DDC ECU look like, here is a video, basically Comfort/Sport/Sport+ = Bouncy/Not that bouncy/Very not bouncy

Essentially a passive suspension with three settings from a button or gradual adjustment from your phone.

https://www.facebook.com/KWsuspensio...8782580190571/
Appreciate 0