F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Car becomes shaky at around 80+ MPH
GetBMWParts

01-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
E90ROXS
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Car becomes shaky at around 80+ MPH

I noticed that the car became shaky at 80+ MPH. Recent mods I did are downpipe, wheels, dinan springs, JB4, and intake. Could it be the tires are not balanced correctly. The wheels were taken from my 328i which was involved in an accident. However if it's the wheels then the shaking should always be there regardless of the speed. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
Roki187
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rocket :-)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ROXS View Post
I noticed that the car became shaky at 80+ MPH. Recent mods I did are downpipe, wheels, dinan springs, JB4, and intake. Could it be the tires are not balanced correctly. The wheels were taken from my 328i which was involved in an accident. However if it's the wheels then the shaking should always be there regardless of the speed. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
Go to a reputable shop and have the wheels road force balanced. That should fix the inbalance or find the issue if there is one.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #3
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Did you have the suspension realigned after springs?
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 1
MaximusJ300.00
      01-10-2017, 06:06 PM   #4
BASELINE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A few...

All of the above. Also if you live in cold climate and just had snowfall, check for ice buildup in the wheel barrels
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 06:23 PM   #5
PeterA90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340xi

Car needs an ailment and proper corner balance
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #6
E90ROXS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
No the guy at the shop told me I didn't need to. Maybe I should.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 06:43 PM   #7
E90ROXS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki187 View Post
Go to a reputable shop and have the wheels road force balanced. That should fix the inbalance or find the issue if there is one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASELINE View Post
All of the above. Also if you live in cold climate and just had snowfall, check for ice buildup in the wheel barrels
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterA90 View Post
Car needs an ailment and proper corner balance

Thank you all!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 07:20 PM   #8
KD07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
No the guy at the shop told me I didn't need to. Maybe I should.
Alignment should be done anytime your car is raised or lowered in any way. I think it's safe to say this is probably the culprit to your shakiness at high speeds.

I would take care of that asap to avoid premature tire wear
      01-10-2017, 10:19 PM   #9
E90ROXS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD07 View Post
Alignment should be done anytime your car is raised or lowered in any way. I think it's safe to say this is probably the culprit to your shakiness at high speeds.

I would take care of that asap to avoid premature tire wear
Will do thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #10
carguy19
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340

The other very common thing on our cars, is that the wheels get bent fairly easily. if you steering wheel shakes back and forth quickly, left to right when going 70 and above, its likely a bent wheel or wheel balance off.

definitely get the wheel straightened or replaced if its bent. It will vibrate all the time and will actually cause premature suspension wear, plus the tire isn't flush with the outer part of the wheel if it's bent. Thats usually not an issue but you dont want to have the bead of the tire break loose while doing some spirited driving.

Your shop with a balancer can tell in 2 seconds when they spin the wheel if its bent. If you can go in the back of your shop to look at the machine when they are spinning your wheels it would be nice to see with your own eyes so you know what to look for in the future.

Whatever you do, don't let your shop convince you to leave the bend and just add weight to counterbalance the bend. Thats just a band aide and a bent wheel is a safety concern in my opinion.

Please post back your findings, I think I can speak for the guys on this thread to say that we are all curious what it is that's causing it.

Best of luck with it. If you have any questions feel free to PM or email me.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 10:24 PM   #11
SingleturboVert
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Well if the car was involved in an accident, there might be flat spots on the tires if they were locked up at all. Also, you could have very small dents in the wheels. Additionally, under a lot of force(Going over a curb, etc) even if there are no flat spots or dents in the wheels, you can damage the cords inside and without a trained eye, your tires might be out of shape on the inside. I'd put your old wheels back on and see what happens.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2017, 09:40 AM   #12
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
However if it's the wheels then the shaking should always be there regardless of the speed. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
Not necessarily! When out of balance vibration tends to only occur at certain speeds. My last experience with wheel imbalance only caused vibrations at 80mph +
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 11:22 PM   #13
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

have the wheels rebalanced and carefully check for any damage
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 08:39 AM   #14
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASELINE View Post
All great suggestions..

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #15
carguy19
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340

I still bet on the bent wheel or maybe a bubble in the sidewall of the tire (possibly on the inner part of the tire since its not visible unless you're looking for it under the car, they are sometimes hard to see).

Especially if it just started happening one day. Tire wear, balancing going out, and alignment and flat spots happen over time. The bent wheel would be something that would be felt immediately after it happened.

If you just spin the wheels on a balancer you will see if they are out of balance and any bents would be clearly evident while the wheel spins.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 09:26 PM   #16
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog View Post
Not necessarily! When out of balance vibration tends to only occur at certain speeds. My last experience with wheel imbalance only caused vibrations at 80mph +
+1 on that one. Sometimes it just starts showing up at the higher highway speeds.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 05:52 PM   #17
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Just from my own experience,
Out of round tire/s will have an odd vibration/oscillation at any speed, even at 10mph, that gets worse as speed increased as the oscillation increase.
Sometimes it's not the wheel but the tire that it out of round.

Bent wheel, same basically. You will feel and odd vibration at any speed that gets worse.

Out of round tires, tires with shifted belts, bent wheels, these are BAD because they should NOT be "balanced" out. The balancing may quell some vibes at certain speeds, but due to the nature of being out of round or bent, oscillation can set up intermittently, meaning, even when traveling at the same speed, 80mph for example, all will feel calm and smooth for a few miles, and then the vibe/oscillation will start and build, crescendo, and then feel smooth again. This is all not good, and as mentioned above, not good for the life of steering components that have to deal with this.

Out of balance is not that bad as that is a minor issue that should be easily managed by proper weight addition. If done correctly, and that's all the issue is, the driver should never feel an odd vibration at any speed and especially approaching 55-60mph where many of the balancing machines spin up to.

A bad damper/shock can also be a cause for higher speed vibration as it's not able to dampen/control the motions of the wheel and tire as they move vertically up and down.
And as the speed increased the frequency of the oscillation increases and becomes stronger.

Some have said they have had experience with vibration with car where the alignment is out. I've never had that experience, and I'd need a better explanation as to how that could set up an oscillation to occur. I've had odd handling with bad alignment but not vibration.

When a vibration is felt stronger in the steering wheel or dash/cowl it tends to indicate that issue is at the front end. If the vibration is felt stronger in the seat, you butt, or you see the passenger seat vibrating, or even feel some vibes on the floor, it tends to indicate that the issue is likely in the back.

A quick tire swap front to rear, and a change in how the vibration feels can help point to the area front to back and side to side.

If you have the stock wheels and tires, put them on and you'll quickly know something.
From what you wrote, I'm first suspicion is wheels and tires.
Appreciate 2
BMWILUVU809.00
aps334.00
      08-05-2019, 09:51 AM   #18
jbshaps466
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

I realize this is an old post, but having this issue

I bought this vehicle used. It made this vibration after hitting 80 mph, but only upon slowing down, not when accelerating. Now it pretty much vibrates at 75 all the time. I checked all the tires and filled them to their right psi, and the vibrations have diminished, but still vibrates on the drivers side at 75 mph +. But still vibrates more violently when decelerating at 85mph or more.

I would like to know some idea of what might be wrong before I take it to a mechanic. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 05:59 PM   #19
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbshaps466 View Post
I bought this vehicle used. It made this vibration after hitting 80 mph, but only upon slowing down, not when accelerating. Now it pretty much vibrates at 75 all the time. I checked all the tires and filled them to their right psi, and the vibrations have diminished, but still vibrates on the drivers side at 75 mph +. But still vibrates more violently when decelerating at 85mph or more.

I would like to know some idea of what might be wrong before I take it to a mechanic. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
Did you find out what was wrong? Could be the bushings.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 08:37 PM   #20
M3berk
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Did you find out what was wrong? Could be the bushings.
Bump

Just started having this issue on my 2017 340i xdrive.
Car starts to shake 60-70+ mph. Vibration is much worse on decel than accelerating. Only have 17k miles
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 01:59 PM   #21
M3berk
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3berk View Post
Bump

Just started having this issue on my 2017 340i xdrive.
Car starts to shake 60-70+ mph. Vibration is much worse on decel than accelerating. Only have 17k miles
Update: I put new rims and tires on, and I still have the same issue. I cleaned the hubs and rim surfaces with a wire brush and I am sure they sit flush. Tires balanced on hunter road force and no bends in the rims. At a loss on this one
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 02:07 PM   #22
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3berk View Post
Update: I put new rims and tires on, and I still have the same issue. I cleaned the hubs and rim surfaces with a wire brush and I am sure they sit flush. Tires balanced on hunter road force and no bends in the rims. At a loss on this one
Have the drive shaft(s) checked.
Appreciate 0