F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Burger Stage 1 N55 installed!!!
Studio RSR

02-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
stom_m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sequoia

Burger Stage 1 N55 installed!!!

Just installed the Burger Stage 1 N55 over the weekend! The installation was very stupid simple. 2 connectors, shove the box under the paneling. It would be nice if the cable was 2" longer. It would lay in the cubby hole a little easier. Regardless, the install took all of 5 minutes if that. The great thing about it is being able to uninstall it prior to taking it in. No fault codes or knocking. Car started without a hiccup.

As for the power, there's plenty of it. When WOT, the shifting seems to take longer than previous but I'll have to compare with and without the harness. I believe it's because of the extra power that the transmission needs the extra time. This could also be why you see the Hartge video shifting at 6k. I'll have to try and do a few more WOT runs and play with different shift points. I don't have a g meter so it will all be based on feeling.

That said, can anyone recommend a g meter or whatever those timing things are called.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Vbox Performancebox
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
stom_m3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
Vbox Performancebox
Thanks! Have you used the Vbox for lap timing? Does it graph it out and show data at that various parts of the track?

Has anyone tried the GTech Pro RR? How does it compare to the Vbox?

Last edited by stom_m3; 02-04-2013 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
bosz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
Just installed the Burger Stage 1 N55 over the weekend! The installation was very stupid simple. 2 connectors, shove the box under the paneling. It would be nice if the cable was 2" longer. It would lay in the cubby hole a little easier. Regardless, the install took all of 5 minutes if that. The great thing about it is being able to uninstall it prior to taking it in. No fault codes or knocking. Car started without a hiccup.

As for the power, there's plenty of it. When WOT, the shifting seems to take longer than previous but I'll have to compare with and without the harness. I believe it's because of the extra power that the transmission needs the extra time. This could also be why you see the Hartge video shifting at 6k. I'll have to try and do a few more WOT runs and play with different shift points. I don't have a g meter so it will all be based on feeling.

That said, can anyone recommend a g meter or whatever those timing things are called.
pls take some videos (with no music in background).. PLS!
      02-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
stom_m3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosz View Post
No problem. I'll take some pics later tonight.

Funny, I can actually get the traction nannies to kick on in a straight line WOT. Damn my tires are going to wear out fast...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! Have you used the Vbox for lap timing? Does it graph it out and show data at that various parts of the track?

Has anyone tried the GTech Pro RR? How does it compare to the Vbox?
The Vbox is the standard. its what all the magazines and web outlets use to test cars now. i wouldnt waste any money on a Gtech as they have always made crap products.

The Vbox can also overlap data over google maps and much more. Also you will never have a problem selling it if you decide as they hold there value and sell fast.

I have seen cheaper products that are for dedicated to laptiming but the Vbox does it all. I am waiting for a group buy so I can get it for around $440.00
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
stom_m3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The Vbox is the standard. its what all the magazines and web outlets use to test cars now. i wouldnt waste any money on a Gtech as they have always made crap products.

The Vbox can also overlap data over google maps and much more. Also you will never have a problem selling it if you decide as they hold there value and sell fast.

I have seen cheaper products that are for dedicated to laptiming but the Vbox does it all. I am waiting for a group buy so I can get it for around $440.00
Good info. Thanks. I did start reading about some issues about the GTech. I saw that GT-R forum had a group buy last year for $400 + $15 shipping. The price has increased since than. Let me know if you find one. I'll get it too! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #8
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Vbox Performancebox
+1

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:

DO you have the Sport Transmission or Regular?

The extra time required worries me...I have the regular transmission and it shifts amazingly fast, would hate to lose that.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
stom_m3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
DO you have the Sport Transmission or Regular?

The extra time required worries me...I have the regular transmission and it shifts amazingly fast, would hate to lose that.
I have the sport transmission. I only noticed the longer shifts when shifting at 6500rpm though I admit, I never really paid much attention previously. My car only has 1200 miles on it so I haven't driven it hard much. I still need to try it with and without stg 1 and see what it feels like shifting above 6500rpms. Possibly there's no difference. The shifting does feel the same below 6000rpm though. Still surprisingly quick for an auto tranny.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #12
nsquared
[Versatile]
Rep
Drives: (S)LOW.

How much power is produced?

How does the tune affect ECO/Comfort and Sport?
'20 AW F87 X3MC - Sold
Current: `23 Chalk G80 M3CX | Ordered: '24 M3CS - Week37 build.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #13
stom_m3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsquared View Post
How much power is produced?

How does the tune affect ECO/Comfort and Sport?
Take this in reference that I only have driven the car for 50 miles since tune installed. I don't drive in ECO mode much so can't comment on that yet but I will try it and get back to you.

As for comfort and sport, both seemed to be affected the same amount. In part throttle or what I would consider normal driving, the tune provides a little more push back in the seat which is noticeable at RPMS's higher than 3k. At WOT, everything is more noticeable across the entire rev range. The car pulls really hard. There's no thought of "well maybe I can feel the extra power." You can definitely feel the power. I'm actually surprised at how hard the car pulls. My previous car was an '06 997S and the amount of torque generated from the F30 at 3.5k is amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if the F30 stg 1 wasn't faster than the 997S in a straight line. I can't wait to get it on the track. Though, I am worried about the over boosted brakes and suspension which seems to be way undersprung and underdamped.

I'm driving the car today and I'll have to pay more attention to the power and where it's felt in different driving situations. I have to admit at $379 for the stage 1 tune, it's worth a try. I'm totally convinced. I was a little apprehensive reading some things on the other boards but my car idles fine, I don't have any knocking or odd behavior. Of course, that could change. But after I installed the harness, the car fired right up without any hiccups or change in idle. Call me a happy customer. All that with the crappy California gas!

I just ordered my track tires and rims so I'll have to look for an upcoming autox or track day. I may take out the harness as it will bump me up in class at an autox. Possibly try it on a fun run.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #14
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Take this in reference that I only have driven the car for 50 miles since tune installed. I don't drive in ECO mode much so can't comment on that yet but I will try it and get back to you.

As for comfort and sport, both seemed to be affected the same amount. In part throttle or what I would consider normal driving, the tune provides a little more push back in the seat which is noticeable at RPMS's higher than 3k. At WOT, everything is more noticeable across the entire rev range. The car pulls really hard. There's no thought of "well maybe I can feel the extra power." You can definitely feel the power. I'm actually surprised at how hard the car pulls. My previous car was an '06 997S and the amount of torque generated from the F30 at 3.5k is amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if the F30 stg 1 wasn't faster than the 997S in a straight line. I can't wait to get it on the track. Though, I am worried about the over boosted brakes and suspension which seems to be way undersprung and underdamped.

I'm driving the car today and I'll have to pay more attention to the power and where it's felt in different driving situations. I have to admit at $379 for the stage 1 tune, it's worth a try. I'm totally convinced. I was a little apprehensive reading some things on the other boards but my car idles fine, I don't have any knocking or odd behavior. Of course, that could change. But after I installed the harness, the car fired right up without any hiccups or change in idle. Call me a happy customer. All that with the crappy California gas!

I just ordered my track tires and rims so I'll have to look for an upcoming autox or track day. I may take out the harness as it will bump me up in class at an autox. Possibly try it on a fun run.
Nice write up. My only concern was with the note earlier about the shifting. I love the way it shifts now and wouldnt want to change a thing (one of the reasons buying an auto makes so much sense in these cars).

That and the elephant in the room about, what if something goes wrong will BMW try to say it was caused by the tune...

I'm leaning towards getting one when the spring weather hits, which may also be around the time BMW finally puts the PPK for sale.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #15
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Nice write up. My only concern was with the note earlier about the shifting. I love the way it shifts now and wouldnt want to change a thing (one of the reasons buying an auto makes so much sense in these cars).

That and the elephant in the room about, what if something goes wrong will BMW try to say it was caused by the tune...

I'm leaning towards getting one when the spring weather hits, which may also be around the time BMW finally puts the PPK for sale.
That's whats great about piggybacks you take it out clear the codes before taking it to the dealership. So far no one has reported a problem. Remember BMS has been doing this a long time and has thousands of customers.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #16
stom_m3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosz View Post
Ok, well I didn't take video but here are some pics. It's so easy I think you can do it without the video.

Showing TMap1 connector.

Showing TMap2 connector. It's hidden under the thick rubber molding.

Showing the routing under the panel. I shoved the loose connectors under and along the other convuluted tube routing. The cover hides all of it well. Hope that helps.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #17
stom_m3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post

Ok, so tonight i was able to do a couple of 0-60mph runs with and without the stage 1 harness. I downloaded a $0.99 app called Speedometer Pro. Good, bad, ugly, the app was cheap and seemed to do what I needed it to do in the 5 seconds it took me to find an app and download it.

Keep in mind that this was not done scientifically whatsoever. Once I figured out how the program worked, I did only one hard run with and without the harness. Could I have refined and quickened my times? Yes, but I didn't have all night and I didn't want to piss all the neighbors off while I wore out my tires.

Also, I wouldn't really look at the times as end all be all numbers. I would say that achieving a quicker time was a whole lot easier with the harness than without. And, yes the harness is that easy to plug in and out. Between runs was about 3 minutes.

Ok, so enough with all of the non-scientific dummy statements already. I put the car in sports + mode and recorded my time. My 0-60 time without the stage 1 harness was 6.3s and with the stage 1 harness was 5.2s. I didn't throttle brake the car either. From a stop, I stomped on the gas and shifted with the paddles at 6-6.5k rpm's. I'm sure these numbers are well off what the car can do but same for same, it was easier to achieve a quicker time with the harness.

As for the shifting, the shifting is still quick with the stage 1 harness but I would say that the car has an easier time shifting with less power. When not WOT the shifting is the same. Possibly someone else can comment on the shifting who has the stage 1 tune.

Showing the app with the stage 1 harness time.

Showing the two times. The time #1 was with the stage 1 harness, time #2 was without the harness. I'm a believer. The tune works.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 11:33 PM   #18
nsquared
[Versatile]
Rep

Quote:

Good read-up but the idea that the power delivery is the same in sport/comfort isn't good lol.

How much is the advertised power increase?
'20 AW F87 X3MC - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #19
stom_m3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsquared View Post
Good read-up but the idea that the power delivery is the same in sport/comfort isn't good lol.

How much is the advertised power increase?
Possibly you misunderstood my statement. The throttle mapping is still different between the two different modes but the resultant urgency in speed as a result of the tune is proportional in either mode.

As for the power increase, the Burger Tuning website says 50hp and 60ft-lbs of torque or something close to that. I believe it based on the butt dyno.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 11:59 PM   #20
nsquared
[Versatile]
Rep

Quote:
Possibly you misunderstood my statement. The throttle mapping is still different between the two different modes but the resultant urgency in speed as a result of the tune is proportional in either mode.

As for the power increase, the Burger Tuning website says 50hp and 60ft-lbs of torque or something close to that. I believe it based on the butt dyno.
Okay that makes sense. Did you install the harness yourself or?
'20 AW F87 X3MC - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #21
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Ok, so tonight i was able to do a couple of 0-60mph runs with and without the stage 1 harness. I downloaded a $0.99 app called Speedometer Pro. Good, bad, ugly, the app was cheap and seemed to do what I needed it to do in the 5 seconds it took me to find an app and download it.

Keep in mind that this was not done scientifically whatsoever. Once I figured out how the program worked, I did only one hard run with and without the harness. Could I have refined and quickened my times? Yes, but I didn't have all night and I didn't want to piss all the neighbors off while I wore out my tires.

Also, I wouldn't really look at the times as end all be all numbers. I would say that achieving a quicker time was a whole lot easier with the harness than without. And, yes the harness is that easy to plug in and out. Between runs was about 3 minutes.

Ok, so enough with all of the non-scientific dummy statements already. I put the car in sports + mode and recorded my time. My 0-60 time without the stage 1 harness was 6.3s and with the stage 1 harness was 5.2s. I didn't throttle brake the car either. From a stop, I stomped on the gas and shifted with the paddles at 6-6.5k rpm's. I'm sure these numbers are well off what the car can do but same for same, it was easier to achieve a quicker time with the harness.

As for the shifting, the shifting is still quick with the stage 1 harness but I would say that the car has an easier time shifting with less power. When not WOT the shifting is the same. Possibly someone else can comment on the shifting who has the stage 1 tune.

Showing the two times. The time #1 was with the stage 1 harness, time #2 was without the harness. I'm a believer. The tune works.
I'm guessing that thing is quite a bit off, but still shows that there is noticeable difference with the tune. I think most magazines are showing sub 5 second 0-60 runs, and BMW claims low 5 seconds? That's what you're showing after the tune with that app.

I think I personally got around 5.3 without brake boosting (using the very scientific method of recording the speedo and whipping out a stop watch). I think I got 5.1ish with minimal brake boosting to 2k RPM.

I'd expect real world to see 4.7 or so with the tune and brake boosting?

I guess what matters more is 40-70 or something like that where traction and having to worry about brake boosting, etc comes into play.

But you said you weren't really trying to get the best times so that and the probably inaccuracy of the app is probably why the times seem slow (especially the first time without the tune). Good display in showing the pretty huge difference with and without though. ALthough, I dont think we should expect to get a 1 second difference 0-60 while giving it maximum effort in both cases (the car would be putting down 4 second flat 0-60s or less)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #22
NateDog07V
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M235i BSM Auto

Thanks for the info! does anyone know what the projected gains are for the Stage 2 tune that is in development, and will it require any supporting mods (e.g. DP, Intake, etc.)? I've looked on the n54tech forum but don't find much related to the F30 tunes
Appreciate 0