F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Unichip CarPlay
proTUNING Freaks

06-19-2018, 05:31 AM   #199
Phoenixcat
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M-Sport F31

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmunky View Post
Just order direct

http://www.unichip-tec.com/
I'd also like to know why codemybimmer stopped stocking it though. It seems like a brilliant unit and I'm really tempted to order one. I contacted unichip on Friday to verify which one is compatible with my car but they've not responded yet.
[QUOTE=mrsimes;23340638][QUOTE=madmunky;23327237]

I contacted unichip 2 weeks ago with no response. Doesn't bode well!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 07:02 AM   #200
mrsimes
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

They must have been at an expo or something - got a reply yesterday and very responsive now.

I've taken the plunge and ordered. I'm told that they are actively developing for IOS12 and when released there will be an update which can be applied via USB stick to the USB port (which I'll attempt to run to the armrest storage!).

Looking forward to checking this out and just hope the main issues reported on the forum here have been ironed out.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 03:39 AM   #201
Phoenixcat
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M-Sport F31

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmunky View Post
I would hold fire for a month or two, I was speaking with them (UniChip) today and they will have a wireless version coming out next month hopefully.

Watched the same WWDC and very good news Waze and Google Maps are finally going to be useable.
Who did you speak to at unichip?

I made an enquiry via their website and after a month I finally got a reply from their European sales rep, Stella Guo who quoted $439 plus free shipping direct.
I asked about wireless and he said he had no idea when they are releasing the wireless version.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 04:24 AM   #202
madmax2003
Rep
Drives: F31

Yesterday the whole media system was down, no radio, no carplay, black screen.
Today I removed the unichip box and everything was back to normal.

Does somebody of you had already such a problem?
It looks like the box doesn't get power (or is broken) and so also the default radio isn't working.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 03:23 PM   #203
mrsimes
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax2003 View Post
Yesterday the whole media system was down, no radio, no carplay, black screen.
Today I removed the unichip box and everything was back to normal.

Does somebody of you had already such a problem?
It looks like the box doesn't get power (or is broken) and so also the default radio isn't working.
Interesting you should mention this.

My smart box arrived on Friday and I've just fitted it this afternoon.

They'd apparently already configured the box for my model (based on photos and the VIN that I sent them).

Got it all installed (it was a pig to position the harness behind the headunit, but got there in the end), ran the audio and USB cable (with an extension) to the armrest, ran the mic up to the roof, all good. Put it all back together and started ignition - BLACK SCREEN!!! No radio, no nothing. Pulled it all back out, re-checked connections, fiddled with dipswitches, nothing.

The smartbox is however doing something as if I plug my iPhone into the USB, the phone recognises a CarPlay device. Also if I short press '8' i hear the smart box click.

Anyhow, in the end I had to disconnect the harness and plug the original back in, so I'm back to square one at the moment. Have contacted their support for some help.

You're saying that you've had yours working and it suddenly died temporarily taking out the screen and audio until you disconnected it?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 12:29 AM   #204
madmax2003
Rep

Quote:
Interesting you should mention this.

You're saying that you've had yours working and it suddenly died temporarily taking out the screen and audio until you disconnected it?
Yes, all was working fine for about 2 months or so. Then suddenly a black screen and nothing worked, also usb of the carplay box was dead.

So after opening all up again, i saw that there was no red light and removed the carplay box. After that, everything was back to normal agin..

So I wrote the support and the answer I got, was checking if the cable is broken... and I got an update file also, but I am pretty sure that there is something broken.

Will try to check the cable with multimeter and see if I find somethimg out, as there is no documentation on the wiring itself.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 06:00 AM   #205
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

I wonder if the unit is overheating... Do keep us informed, I really want Carplay and your experience will help us decide...

The unichip box would be ideal since I got quoted £1.6K to retrofit a new ID6 unit.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 01:56 PM   #206
madmax2003
Rep

Well yes, the unit is getting pretty hot.
But I checked pins on the cable, and 2 of them had no contact.
So I asked unichip if that's the problem or if they have a wiring diagram for me, but they just said, that they will send a new cable for 25$ shipping ...

So I hope that will fix the problem..

Last edited by madmax2003; 07-05-2018 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      07-05-2018, 04:45 PM   #207
mrsimes
Private
Rep

Fingers crossed the new cable sorts you out.

I've got mine sorted now. Despite the time difference, their support is very responsive and helpful.

They asked me to send a video of me connecting everything up. They then observed from the video that I had not moved the fibre optic cable from the original connection block to the new one - easily overlooked as this is done very quickly in their installation video. As soon as I did this, it all sprang to life and is working now!

First impressions of the unit are great and the audio quality is fine through aux (had to lower the output slightly under the smartbox setup menu), however, I notice that if you control the CarPlay via the idrive dial it's actually also navigating menus and selecting stuff underneath in the native CIC interface at the same time without you realising. Is this preventable or should I stick to controlling via the iPhone/siri only?

It should be really great once IOS 12 is released and we get more development for CarPlay

Last edited by mrsimes; 07-09-2018 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      07-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #208
mrsimes
Private
Rep

Quote:
I notice that if you control the CarPlay via the idrive dial it's actually also navigating menus and selecting stuff underneath in the native CIC interface at the same time without you realising. Is this preventable or should I stick to controlling via the iPhone/siri only?
I figured out a workaround for this. The BMW Assist -> Available services screen is just a list of services with nothing selectable within it, therefore set a shortcut to the BMW Assist menu on one of your number buttons, then before switching to CarPlay, simply press your shortcut, jog down one step to Available Services and select, then switch screen to CarPlay.

Now, if you move around using the idrive dial in CarPlay, it doesn't select anything "underneath" in CIC as there's nothing there to select.

All that said, the Siri integration with the supplied mic seems to work beautifully too if you prefer voice commands.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 10:04 AM   #209
madmax2003
Rep

Quote:
Fingers crossed the new cable sorts you out.
Nope, didn't fix it.
Seems the box is broken itself. But it seems unichip doesn't know how to debug this and they are just replacing the cheapest parts first and then look if it got fixed
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 05:04 PM   #210
mrsimes
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax2003 View Post
Nope, didn't fix it.
Seems the box is broken itself. But it seems unichip doesn't know how to debug this and they are just replacing the cheapest parts first and then look if it got fixed
Oh man, that's a shame. Replacement box next then - I hope you don't get stung for import tax a second time, let us know.

I wonder if you were just unlucky or whether the box overheated. I notice that mine remains cool as long as it's not having to charge the connected phone. If you plug a phone in that's not already full of charge, it gets very hot, very quickly. With my box in the glove compartment there's no air circulation so I have to be careful of this.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 05:02 AM   #211
schooleydoo
Rep
Drives: 2012 320D Sport

Morning all,

I bought a 2012 F30 yesterday with 6.5" HU_ENTRY, CIC, basic bluetooth (phone only) and no Combox.

I'd like Carplay ASAP and trying to decide between a Unichip and a Ugode.

The Ugode is similar money and provides a nice 10.25" display. On paper it seems the obvious answer. But I'm not interested in any of the Android functionality - everything I need from my HU will be through Carplay and from what I've read, it has some reliability issues and you can't use the iDrive controller to click with the Ugode.

I have some questions that hopefully someone can help answer:
Does the iDrive function fully with the Unibox? Centre click also?
Can I install it without a combox?
Do I need to do any coding changes?
Would you say its as reliable as an OEM carplay app?
Do I need to make any changes to my USB port?
Is wireless carplay an option or USB only?
Any UK suppliers known?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 07:37 AM   #212
madmax2003
Rep

Quote:
I wonder if you were just unlucky or whether the box overheated.
Yep, I noticed that too. Gets really hot.
But at least the new cable I got, looked much better made than the first one.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 10:12 AM   #213
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I found this Uk provider - chatting with them today I understand their solution uses the car's microphone for siri:

https://unique-ad.co.uk/product-cate...-carplay-kits/
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 10:13 AM   #214
J_Tremain
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
I found this Uk provider - chatting with them today I understand their solution uses the car's microphone for siri:

https://unique-ad.co.uk/product-cate...-carplay-kits/
Heard anything back from them as of yet?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #215
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Tremain View Post
Heard anything back from them as of yet?
I used the live chat link on their website, from there I understand that they can install Monday to Friday and have the rear parking camera for the F30.

I see they also have an eBay store with tons of positive feedback.

UPDATE: they are going to fit it for me this week - I will keep you all posted.

Last edited by x-m4n; 07-30-2018 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 05:13 AM   #216
marcuslee2032
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535d

Quote:
however, I notice that if you control the CarPlay via the idrive dial it's actually also navigating menus and selecting stuff underneath in the native CIC interface at the same time without you realising. Is this preventable or should I stick to controlling via the iPhone/siri only?
As I'm considering purchasing (thanks for your insight), I ended up emailing UniChip to ask about this, and they replied with "please let us know your software OS and MCU version, we will send you upgrade version to test."

Would you be interested, I can add you to the email thread I have with them?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 04:32 PM   #217
schooleydoo
Rep
Drives: 2012 320D Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooleydoo View Post
Morning all,

I bought a 2012 F30 yesterday with 6.5" HU_ENTRY, CIC, basic bluetooth (phone only) and no Combox.

I'd like Carplay ASAP and trying to decide between a Unichip and a Ugode.

The Ugode is similar money and provides a nice 10.25" display. On paper it seems the obvious answer. But I'm not interested in any of the Android functionality - everything I need from my HU will be through Carplay and from what I've read, it has some reliability issues and you can't use the iDrive controller to click with the Ugode.

I have some questions that hopefully someone can help answer:
Does the iDrive function fully with the Unibox? Centre click also?
Can I install it without a combox?
Do I need to do any coding changes?
Would you say its as reliable as an OEM carplay app?
Do I need to make any changes to my USB port?
Is wireless carplay an option or USB only?
Any UK suppliers known?

Thanks.
Surprised all existing users were unable or unwilling to offer an opinion on any the above... So I'll answer my own questions here, for future interested people.

iDrive is fully functional, inc click. As others have mentioned, does seem to navigate the native BMW iDrive interface in parallel with Carplay.

No combox or coding changes required.

So far seems reliable but when switching between iDrive and Carplay i get a brief hiccup with a blank flashing screen. Not sure if this is normal.

USB port comes hardwired into the Unichip harness, but can be extended with a male/female usb cable and brought out into the armrest.

USB only but the manufacturer is considering wireless also.

For the UK Motormax in Birmingham may shortly be distributing and John Kleis in Reading offers installations.

I've just finished my install tonight and so far so good, had one query during install, for which they offered facetime support and all email communication has been very fast. I ordered and paid at 4pm Friday and had it in my hands by 2pm Monday (although did have to pay a £22 customs charge to DHL).
Appreciate 2
x-m4n148.00
mrsimes18.00
      07-26-2018, 12:30 AM   #218
madmax2003
Rep

So for me, I didn‘t hear anything back from unichip...
I told them that I won‘t open the car again to just make a video of a not working system.
I told them that they can habe their box back to look into it and send me a replacement.
But as stated, no reply back ...
Does not look good...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 04:08 PM   #219
skierrob
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW F30 White

I bought and had to return a unit to a vendor several months ago as it stopped working about three days after installation. But while it worked, here were my headaches....

You couldn't have Bluetooth enabled in your BMW for phone calls -- if you did, CarPlay audio wouldn't work.

When listening to music through CarPlay for longer than about five minutes, there were lots of audio dropouts that were really annoying.

Sometimes it would switch to CarPlay when I pressed the preset 8 button, other times it would refuse to switch over.

Sometimes audio would work. Other times, audio wouldn't work at all even if I was in aux mode.

My final straw was when my entire iDrive system displayed "no source" when I turned on the car after about three days and I had to remove the Car Play box for my iDrive system to start working again.

Maybe other vendors have a better solution. But I'd be wary. I'm asking Bimmer Tech for their experiences with their box right now in a different post.

Thanks,
Robert
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 04:48 PM   #220
marcuslee2032
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooleydoo View Post
iDrive is fully functional, inc click. As others have mentioned, does seem to navigate the native BMW iDrive interface in parallel with Carplay.
Thanks for feedback!

But also as per my conversation with UniChip, were you interested in their offer to "please let us know your software OS and MCU version, we will send you upgrade version to test." to overcome the parallel issue?
Appreciate 0