F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > DINANTRONICS tune now available for 335i, 435i, 535i Electronic Wastegate
Extreme Powerhouse

09-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #45
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Great job Dinan. Loving my m5 tune. Quality product for sure.
      09-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #46
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrito007 View Post
Will this work with an E70 X5?
The E70 X5 utilizes a flash tune and will not work with the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner. I suggest you peruse our website and look at what gains can be acquired for your particular version of the E70 X5 and its associated software.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 05:45 PM   #47
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Short answer is no.

Long answer is it wasn't designed to clear codes. One of the largest differences between a Dinan tune and most others is we don't create faults/codes so there is no reason to integrate the functionality to clear them. Just like software in previous generations we are after factory like drivability just with more 'oomph' and full integration with BMW parts and software is paramount in accomplishing that. Most other tunes rely on targeting specific signals related to boost pressure and alter those specific signals ONLY, thereby setting off codes/faults and letting the factory ECU adjust every other related parameter accordingly. We would argue that this 'reactive' adjustment hinders the drivability of a BMW that they are known for. While drivability is a subjective term a smooth delivery of increased power throughout the RPM range is nearly always the first comment someone who drives a Dinan vehicle mentions and in essence is what drivability is all about. Usable power with no hiccups, stutters, lurches or anything of that sort; just smooth power that seemingly keeps going. While the 'reactive' method works the fact remains that we see drivability suffering in addition to codes/faults constantly being set and then cleared so no CEL is given even though there is one. This is unacceptable to Dinan as it is basically skirting factory safeguards that has been put in place by BMW. Dinan on the other hand takes a 'proactive' approach and looks at / or interfaces with all related signals so no faults/codes are ever set so that the previously mentioned drivability can be given. This also ensures no CEL's will be given (visible or hidden) and the factory safeguards are still in place and usable.
These are great ideas in theory, but can you at least elaborate on how these talking points are executed? The product is tapping into the same sensors and connecting to the same points as "most others." There's a lot of talk about what it does and nothing about how it does it.

Also, if the device doesn't create faults/codes, why is there a need to clear codes upon install as you mentioned above? This isn't protocol for the other piggybacks on the market.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #48
F82FTW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17' M3 ZCP, 88' M5 Blk/Blk US

Quote:
Actually, the numbers have changed slightly just just due to getting further in the development cycle. We are fine tuning things as we go and finding new ways to eek a bit of extra power out of the engines safely. The best part is those that early adopt our product are not penalized for it. If we have an update, just like in the past with software, it will be a free update.

Short answer is no. Our goal is to be completely emissions legal company so a DP application is not in our future. Will our product work with a DP, yes, but it will not be designed specifically with a DP in mind (and thus removing the CEL).

And yes, we connect directly into the BMW ECU via OE plugs. This offers us the most versatility in future upgrades since we are now tapped directly into the signals coming and going from the ECU.

Rest assured if we do in fact stack the tune and MPPK that a graph will be supplied like the ones currently given that will yield all the data that has been requested. Basically there would be a stock line, MPPK line, and a MPPK+Dinan line. Again, this assumes we go the stacking route which has not been determined yet.

No wire splicing is involved at all. We use OE plugs coupled with a high quality/durable wiring harness that plugs directly into the BMW ECU. See above for a bit more info.

Question of the day...when are you releasing an S55 tune?????
F80 M3 ZCP - Current...E28 M5 1/30 Blk/Blk US Spec - Current...17' 911 - SOLD...E90 M3 - Sold...F82 M4 - SOLD...F02 750Li - SOLD...Austin MINI - SOLD...E82 135is - SOLD...E89 Z4 - SOLD...F10 535i - SOLD...E30 325is - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #49
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82FTW View Post
Question of the day...when are you releasing an S55 tune?????
Thread has just ballooned into a catch all for everything hasn't it?

Stay tuned for the S55 (M3/M4). There will be news on it in the next week or 2. Sign up for the newsletter on our website and you will be one of the first to know. That's usually the first line of marketing that goes out. Or you can simply wait for the post that will happen on the these forums. Whichever is more convenient for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #50
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Brilliant work Dinan...and whoever you are your posts/responses are as eloquent as the company. I'm a firm believer in the quality of Dinan products as is my dealer who doesn't hesitate to perform Dinan mods and make any issues absolutely seamless to resolve....if there are issues that is, I had none.

Looking forward to repeat business with Dinan as there aren't any other tunes or tuners that I'd let near my BMW's.
      09-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #51
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Also, if the device doesn't create faults/codes, why is there a need to clear codes upon install as you mentioned above? This isn't protocol for the other piggybacks on the market.
Let me clarify the fault clearing requirement on installation... If you follow install instructions EXACTLY (disconnect battery, remove connections in the correct order, etc) there will be no reason to clear codes on install as none will be thrown. However, in real world applications there is a tendency to not follow instructions exactly. When this is not done the act of removing the existing plugs from the factory ECU can create faults because the ECU is expecting data. When it can't get a response / send a signal to a system because it is not visible to it, it may throw a code. Airing on the side of caution we implemented the code clearing step in case these instructions were not followed precisely. We would hate for someone in the UK for example where no dealer is present to install the unit incorrectly, albeit by mistake, and then not have the ability to correct the error.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 06:46 PM   #52
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M View Post
Brilliant work Dinan...and whoever you are your posts/responses are as eloquent as the company. I'm a firm believer in the quality of Dinan products as is my dealer who doesn't hesitate to perform Dinan mods and make any issues absolutely seamless to resolve....if there are issues that is, I had none.

Looking forward to repeat business with Dinan as there aren't any other tunes or tuners that I'd let near my BMW's.
Why thank you kind stranger, that actually means a lot to me. Gives some credence to my insistence on having a forum presence.

The bottom line is we stand behind our products, hence the warranty, and only wish to make our customers happy with their purchases. If there is a problem you can be assured we will try everything in our power to resolve the issue.

Our goal here is simply if anyone has questions they are free to ask them and I will answer the best I can or direct you to those that can. If you are in northern California I also encourage anyone to swing by and get a brief tour at our facilities. For most it is an eye opening event and we like to show off what we have / can do.

O, and thanks for being a Dinan customer; keeps me employed. =)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #53
Jacob@NAL
Banned
Rep
Drives: EB 435i MSport/Factory 5 Cobra

I'd be interested to see an install guide, for example for an f30 335i or M235i.

Do you think you could attach one or two on here so people can see how easy/difficult the install is?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #54
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Anything for F25 X3 with N55?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #55
nrrm1127
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i SG/SB

Garage List
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering
We're really happy to be back on the Bimmerpost forum and also are excited to announce new applications for the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner, with the goal of having the majority of the BMW lineup covered by year's end.

Our latest releases are the DINANTRONICS for the F32/F33/F36 435i and the wastegate compatible versions for the F30 335i and the F10 535i. These applications join the growing list of vehicles already in the DINANTRONICS compatible stable that include the F22 M235i, F30 335i, F07/10 550i, F06/12/13 650i, F01/02 750i, F10 M5 (STD & Competition Package), and the F06/12/13 M6 (STD & Competition Package).

You can find more info along with horsepower and torque numbers here: http://dinancars.com/product/d440-16...ries&mid=1205/

Please let us know if you have any questions!
Largely interested in this for my F25 X3 35i - what's the good word on applications for F25 N55 guys? Feel like we're getting short changed a bit in general.
      09-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #56
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92LNGCGY View Post
Anything for F25 X3 with N55?
Not at this time. We typically only work with the X5 and X6 for the SUV line but if we get a development vehicle it would only need a week or so to test fit and tweak since it is the same engine as the 335/435. Not a huge demand vehicle but if one happened to land in our lap then so be it. Always looking for development vehicles so if anyone wants to donate check out our website and submit the request through the development cars page.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #57
Whateva
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
"Warrantied cars, come out and play-ay"
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #58
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Trails View Post
Dinan,

I'm impressed your taking the time to field these questions. I have an m4 and I look forward to seeing a setup for that! Good luck and thanks for the info!
Tis what the forums are for. I am about to leave for the day but I will attempt to hop on a bit later and answer any other questions that may come up tonight.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #59
atopa2002
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3M, 2013 e92 M3, F15 X5

F15/F16

Any applications for F15 X5 and F16 X6 35i/50i engines?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #60
mhaghighi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition package

I have 2014 M6 GC with competition package. I want to add this. I live in jacksonville Florida. Our dealer is certified. Anything I need to know about it on my car? Besides horse power boast to 666. Any new 0-60 times with this stage 1?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #61
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by atopa2002
i'd also like to know when you'd expect to have a solution for the f15 35i. thx.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #62
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Dear Dinan keyboard warrior

The question regarding EU spec models which include the F20 M135i has been answered. That said, will you sell me a piece of your lovely hardware for my 8/2012 M135i (has the pneumatic wastegate) with full warranty support? Do you forsee any issues in combination with the F20 M135i (meaning - if you will not support the warranty and I decide to buy anyway - will I have any problems)?

- Thanks, Niels

Update: Just read the header...ELECTRONIC wastegate

Last edited by harkes; 09-11-2014 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 10:35 PM   #63
Webic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Why thank you kind stranger, that actually means a lot to me. Gives some credence to my insistence on having a forum presence.
Forum presence directly contributed to my cancellation of my MPPK and purchase of this product for my 435. So consider that a win.

Hopefully the dealer has already ordered it, but I pick up my car tomorrow so I get to butt dyno for a bit before I get the install.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #64
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atopa2002 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalaReagan View Post
i'd also like to know when you'd expect to have a solution for the f15 35i. thx.
Not yet but they are planned. The currently scheduled order for release of tunes specifically is as follows: M3/M4, 328 and any other 4 cylinder (N20/N26) we can test fit. Followed by the new X6M, X5M, X6 and X5 in no particular order. In theory you will see something by the end of the year. Other applications could sneak in at various places in that mix depending on when development vehicles become available. A lot of the order of tune release hinges on what cars we have access too. Again, if anyone wants a particular model covered and you are willing to loan it to us as a development vehicle that model will get released much faster. We own an M4, and 328i amongst others so that is why they are in the front of the list not to mention they pose the best ROI.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 11:12 PM   #65
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaghighi View Post
I have 2014 M6 GC with competition package. I want to add this. I live in jacksonville Florida. Our dealer is certified. Anything I need to know about it on my car? Besides horse power boast to 666. Any new 0-60 times with this stage 1?
I assume you are going to Tom Bush BMW. They JUST re-signed so I believe their DINANTRONICS stock is on the way to them and should be there early next week. I would call to confirm that but I believe that is accurate.

We don't release any 0-60 times just because there are so many variables involved with it (driver, weather, tires, road surface, etc) that we don't believe it provides a real meaningful measurement. If one variable is off, for instance, if the driver has a bad launch that could mean the difference of 0.2 seconds which might as well be the difference between a Smart Car and a McClaren (exaggerated but you get the point). That said there has been a decent somef independent tests done on such matters on various M5's in these 2 threads that you can get some of that information from.

wrsbmw
Hawkeye59

Again, keep in mind results will vary but it gets you the idea.

Outside of that I would say that you have to realize that you are dealing with a 500+ HP car to begin with. A bump of roughly 60 HP 80 lb-ft of torque, while significant, may not be easily felt on a car with such a starting power number unless you know what you are looking for (roughly 10% increase in MAX power) or actually push the car to its limits where it is obvious. While that same 60 HP on a 300 HP vehicle would feel like you were shot out of a cannon (roughly 20% increase in MAX power) and you hit the max power much more often since the cap is lower. Assuming you like to go fast though and depress that gas pedal often the only other thing to be said is "enjoy;" you won't miss the old M6 GC CP you had before.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 11:20 PM   #66
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Dear Dinan keyboard warrior

The question regarding EU spec models which include the F20 M135i has been answered. That said, will you sell me a piece of your lovely hardware for my 8/2012 M135i (has the pneumatic wastegate) with full warranty support? Do you forsee any issues in combination with the F20 M135i (meaning - if you will not support the warranty and I decide to buy anyway - will I have any problems)?

- Thanks, Niels

Update: Just read the header...ELECTRONIC wastegate
The mechanical wastegate has been available for months. This release just finally addressed the newer vehicles with electronic wastegate so in theory your car would be eligible, IN THEORY.

That said we don't get the 1 series in the states so it would be a complete guess as to whether it would function properly. My gut says it would but there may be some weird variable I am not thinking of. In terms of the warranty it is a slippery slope, and honestly I am not really sure of the international warranty guidelines. I will send you a PM of the individual you should contact at Dinan that would be able to answer those questions.
Appreciate 0