F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Brake Fluid Change
proTUNING Freaks

06-16-2020, 07:28 AM   #1
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Brake Fluid Change

I have a F32 with the M Performance brakes and need to do a brake fluid change.
How much brake fluid do I need and do I just reset the brake fluid reminder in the idrive?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 07:55 AM   #2
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Great Question. I think my car is about to this point and I really don't want to go to my dealer for the work.

Our faithful indy mechanic will do the work if I provide the fluid I want, just don't know how much to buy. The closest indy BMW shop is an hour way and not really an option.
      06-16-2020, 10:23 AM   #3
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

Any chain brake/lube place can do a brake fluid change for pretty cheap if you are in a pinch. Plus they tend to have the machines to make the job go faster.

Personally I bought a brake fluid tester for about $8 off Amazon. A fluid change every 2 years seems a tad excessive.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 11:17 AM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmonkey8 View Post
How much brake fluid do I need and do I just reset the brake fluid reminder in the idrive?
Yes you can just reset the reminder in iDrive after doing the change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Index
0:39 Amount of fluid for change
1:05 Bleeding tools I like using
2:28 Getting to the brake fluid reservoir
2:59 Brake fluid reservoir overview
3:17 Pressure bleeder installation and operation
3:59 Bleed nipple overview
4:42 Bleeding the brakes
5:14 Refilling the brake fluid reservoir mid-bleed
6:15 Bleeding the rest of the corners
6:41 Closing up the brake fluid reservoir and engine compartment
7:23 Brake fluid disposal

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 2
      06-16-2020, 06:07 PM   #5
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exE36M3 View Post
Any chain brake/lube place can do a brake fluid change for pretty cheap if you are in a pinch. Plus they tend to have the machines to make the job go faster.

Personally I bought a brake fluid tester for about $8 off Amazon. A fluid change every 2 years seems a tad excessive.
I have a brake fluid tester but haven't actually checked it. I have my car booked in for a service at the dealer and they highlighted it needs a brake fluid change. Also when I checked the idrive service status it is coming up as requiring a service.
I will inspect the fluid and use the tester to check it. I think you might be right as I have another car that had the brake fluid done about 2 yrs ago. I was about to do the fluid change on that but when I checked the fluid it was still clean and when I used the checker it read as ok.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 06:39 PM   #6
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Highly recommend a tester. I'm at 4 years since last change and the fluid still tests at 1%. Check my wife's 2010 Ford Edge and it's at 1 to 2%. Will change mine this summer when I do a brake job (136,400 on original OEM rotors and pads) and install braided lines.

Last edited by Orion4; 06-18-2020 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 09:12 PM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The dash warning is mileage based, because the car has no way to measure the moisture content of the fluid. If it tests OK reset the counter and that will be the end of that. You should check it on a regular basis just to be safe, say every six months. It's critical that you do an actual moisture content test, you can't tell by looking at it.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2020, 07:43 AM   #8
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:

I don't know about your area, but around me most brake/oil change places don't carry the DOT4 brake fluid used in many European cars (the parts stores don't stock it either the last time I looked). If I want something with a higher boiling point for track days, it's a total no-go. You talk boiling points with the brake/lube places and you get a blank stare.

I either have to get the fluid myself and go to our trusty indy mechanic, take a road trip to a BMW indy, or get robbed by the dealership.

It's interesting to hear folks saying the moisture levels were still good after four years. I was under the impression with DOT4 fluids and others with a higher boiling point, that two years was about the maximum they would be effective before the moisture levels got too high.
      06-17-2020, 09:39 AM   #9
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
Quote:

I don't know about your area, but around me most brake/oil change places don't carry the DOT4 brake fluid used in many European cars (the parts stores don't stock it either the last time I looked). If I want something with a higher boiling point for track days, it's a total no-go. You talk boiling points with the brake/lube places and you get a blank stare.

I either have to get the fluid myself and go to our trusty indy mechanic, take a road trip to a BMW indy, or get robbed by the dealership.

It's interesting to hear folks saying the moisture levels were still good after four years. I was under the impression with DOT4 fluids and others with a higher boiling point, that two years was about the maximum they would be effective before the moisture levels got too high.
The two year interval is probably excessive but a good catch-all for high road-salt marine environments. Plus a two year interval also allows for brake inspection which could address other issues such as leaking seals.

Dot 4 Wet Boiling point is 155C.

Wet: 3.7% moisture.

I would not be surprised if you could go 4 or more yrs in a relatively dry environment.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #10
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
I don't know about your area, but around me most brake/oil change places don't carry the DOT4 brake fluid used in many European cars
Around me you can't find anywhere that doesn't have it.
https://www.autozone.com/brake-and-p..._0?spps.s=3456
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BFR4...ng_dcoe_google
Appreciate 2
johnung4526.50
328iX785.50
      06-17-2020, 10:49 AM   #11
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

Good discussion. FWIW - I don't NOT change out my fluid (or any other services) because I am cheap, I'm kind of a closet environmentalist. If I can put less toxic stuff out there or delay doing so I will.

Being a car guy, there's that balance of practical/needful maintenance to performance to cost.

Last check of my fluid was 1%. Norcal is a fairy arid place. MY wife's 2013 CX-9 fluid was at 2% this year. I only changed that because her brakes were wearing enough to warrant replacement.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 05:02 PM   #12
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

BMW specify DOT-4 LV
http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/Pentosin_Dot4_LV.pdf
I usually get mine at NAPA
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 07:48 AM   #13
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by montr View Post
BMW specify DOT-4 LV
http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/Pentosin_Dot4_LV.pdf
I usually get mine at NAPA
Products can always be ordered, but I was referring to what is actually stocked on shelves. You can't walk in and buy things like DOT 4 fluid or even the OEM Pentosin coolant equivalent many car use/need.

Its a regional influence I'm sure. Around here, despite having both a VW and BMW dealerships near by, European cars are not very common on the road. It doesn't make any sense for stores to stock products which won't sell.
      06-18-2020, 09:24 PM   #14
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Moisture isn't the only factor, there's contaminants that accumulate in the fluid even in a "sealed" system. I'd stick to 2 years /30k. It really shouldn't be more than $100 or $200 at an Indy, or $10 if you do it on your own haha..

But then again there's people who never change it and are fine, so what do I know
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 06:44 PM   #15
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iX View Post
Moisture isn't the only factor, there's contaminants that accumulate in the fluid even in a "sealed" system. I'd stick to 2 years /30k. It really shouldn't be more than $100 or $200 at an Indy, or $10 if you do it on your own haha..

But then again there's people who never change it and are fine, so what do I know
When it goes bad you can see the dirt and colour change in the fluid. You probably won't really notice it in the brake pedal unless it's really bad. Fresh fluid also prevents corrosion in the system.
I bought a hand vacuum pump but if the old fluid is clean it may be difficult to know when you have reached the fresh new fluid.
I watched them do it at a indie garage on my old car and they did it the old method and had a guy pumping at the brake pedal.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 06:56 PM   #16
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Quote:
When it goes bad you can see the dirt and colour change in the fluid. You probably won't really notice it in the brake pedal unless it's really bad. Fresh fluid also prevents corrosion in the system.
I bought a hand vacuum pump but if the old fluid is clean it may be difficult to know when you have reached the fresh new fluid.
I watched them do it at a indie garage on my old car and they did it the old method and had a guy pumping at the brake pedal.
Yeah any method works on the car, you can do it without messing with the ABS system.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 08:42 AM   #17
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

There is a method for cars with DSC that requires pressure bleeder and ISTA sequence to cycle the pump - that takes about 2.5 L of brake fluid. I did mine without that cycling at the 3-year mark. The fluid in the rear calipers was greenish looking despite the one in the master cylinder being pretty golden-yellow. I send the fluid back for recycling, part of trying my best with environmental protection, however saving money on brake fluid ($3 per 300mL of OEM DOT4) is not worth it vs possibility of either fluid boiling with too much moisture or more likely corroding components over time. Cheap insurance as basic flush only takes 1L of fluid. I am sorry, but I don't buy environmental excuse for something that is this crucial. If you are worried about the environment, I am sure oil changes every 10K miles does more harm, as it takes much more fluid more frequently. Just do your part in recycling it, so it can have a second life.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 10:20 AM   #18
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Recycling is a given, with any fluid other than water. All of the auto parts stores around me will take in oil, ATF, brake fluid, antifreeze at no charge. Just put it in the container that the new fluid came in so they know what it is, and don't mix different fluids.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 10:17 PM   #19
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Recycling is a given, with any fluid other than water. All of the auto parts stores around me will take in oil, ATF, brake fluid, antifreeze at no charge. Just put it in the container that the new fluid came in so they know what it is, and don't mix different fluids.
Completely agree! With FCP Euro, I recycle back to them and get my money back as part of their warranty replacement program. Still can't believe how they can offer that, but that is an extra benefit to doing all maintenance DIY.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 10:34 PM   #20
learntocode
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I think similar to the F30, I used three bottles with a little left over. Afterwards, could reset the brake service reminder on the iDrive.

DOT 4 Brake Fluid, BMW part# 81-22-0-142-156

Each bottle is 12 fl oz, or 355 mL
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #21
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
I just did mine. Lots of bubbles.

I bought a 1 liter bottle of Pentosin DOT 4 LV.

I still have a little leftover. It’s been a day and no need to top off. Master cylinder is showing just below max. Going to pour the old brake fluid into the bottle and drop off at a recycling place.
Appreciate 0