F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Road bike advice
Extreme Powerhouse

05-17-2020, 04:35 PM   #287
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1664 View Post
Did it in a rented Corsa with the missus and three kids back in the early 2000's. Recall we stopped at a lake and then some view point over Soller before it went seriously downhill. I got nowhere near your speed, it must have been well out of the tourist season as it was rammed back then.
It was a closed-road event - the Mallorca 312 - so no traffic. The hill from the top of Puig is 15km at (I think) an average of 7.5% do you can really pick up speed, particularly on the first stretch down from the view point.
Appreciate 1
JR16641146.50
      05-18-2020, 03:45 AM   #288
Ridg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
^Chasing Strava segments really is a great fun and judge where you are with your fitness.
I think this depends on the type of segment, targeting specific segments only really works IMO for TT sections and actual hill climbs; there are so many variables around the rest of the sections that you can't compare apples to apples and so many people that exploit the system for example sites that tell you which section to ride based on the tailwind or people that get a mate to drive in front so they can slip steam the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 03:53 AM   #289
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Strava Segments.

Rocky Ground.

Only thing worth comparing is your own prior times in segments. Might be where @gangzoom is going with his comment. Comparing Vs Joe Public is a whole minefield.
      05-18-2020, 04:15 AM   #290
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Strava Segments.

Rocky Ground.

Only thing worth comparing is your own prior times in segments. Might be where @gangzoom is going with his comment. Comparing Vs Joe Public is a whole minefield.
Agreed. Especially when an increasing proportion of Joe Public is younger then me, and too many of them are lighter

Own time comparisons always interesting though.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
JustChris17549.00
      05-18-2020, 04:58 AM   #291
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Bit of advice required guys, on readying/using a bike that's been laid up.

It's a 2017 Equilibrium with Ultegra, including shimano hydraulic discs. Got it as a warranty replacement and it's arrival coincided with me pretty much stopping cycling.

According to Garmin Connect, the bike has done 700km over ten rides since I got it in November 2016, the last being in June 2018.

Other than air in the tyres, a quick spin to check gear alignment (adjust cables) and chain lubrication, anything to be concerned about. Not used hydraulic brakes before this, but I assume with light usage they won't need a service yet even though the fluid is a little old? Don't fancy finding out I'm wrong on a Cotswold descent though, as I descend like a girl.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 05:10 AM   #292
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Best advice is to give it a go over very short distance really.

I'd fully inflate the tyres to about 90% pressure, then let them almost all the way down and back up to pressure. Lets the tubes settle.
      05-18-2020, 05:17 AM   #293
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Quote:
Strava Segments.

Rocky Ground.

Agreed. Especially when an increasing proportion of Joe Public is younger then me, and too many of them are lighter

I just compete against myself l

Like you said, a lot of the guys at the top are younger, lighter and take their cycling a lot more seriously than me!

Plus you get the guys who go chasing segments, their computer shows them where they are and they target them. I've known guys who go out and see where the wind is and target segments where the wind will be behind them, sometimes doing the same segment again and again on the same ride.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2020, 05:45 AM   #294
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Strava Segments.

Rocky Ground.

I just compete against myself l

Like you said, a lot of the guys at the top are younger, lighter and take their cycling a lot more seriously than me!

Plus you get the guys who go chasing segments, their computer shows them where they are and they target them. I've known guys who go out and see where the wind is and target segments where the wind will be behind them, sometimes doing the same segment again and again on the same ride.
Attached Images

05-18-2020, 06:21 AM   #295
Ridg
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

It's a 2017 Equilibrium with Ultegra, including shimano hydraulic discs. Got it as a warranty replacement and it's arrival coincided with me pretty much stopping cycling.

According to Garmin Connect, the bike has done 700km over ten rides since I got it in November 2016, the last being in June 2018.

Other than air in the tyres, a quick spin to check gear alignment (adjust cables) and chain lubrication, anything to be concerned about. Not used hydraulic brakes before this, but I assume with light usage they won't need a service yet even though the fluid is a little old? Don't fancy finding out I'm wrong on a Cotswold descent though, as I descend like a girl.
700km is hardly run in, I think quite a few of us on here have done 700Km in lockdown.

Main thing to keep in good order is the chain and running gear, give it a good degrease and then lube i.e. don't just oil a dirty chain

Shimano hydraulic brakes use mineral oil, this isn't hygroscopic so is generally lower maintenance than dot 4 but does get dirty over time; maintenance is the same as your car brakes but on a smaller scale.

The brakes should be firm, if they aren't e.g. are spongy then they probably have air in the system and need to be bleed.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2020, 06:30 AM   #296
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridg View Post
Quote:

700km is hardly run in, I think quite a few of us on here have done 700Km in lockdown.

Main thing to keep in good order is the chain and running gear, give it a good degrease and then lube i.e. don't just oil a dirty chain

Shimano hydraulic brakes use mineral oil, this isn't hygroscopic so is generally lower maintenance than dot 4 but does get dirty over time; maintenance is the same as your car brakes but on a smaller scale.

The brakes should be firm, if they aren't e.g. are spongy then they probably have air in the system and need to be bleed.
Thanks very much Yeah, appreciate the mileage is pretty much zero - it's predecessor bike was doing that per month the previous summer - the extended inactivity was the concern. Especially on the brakes! I will get some degreaser....

JustChris thanks as well for the inner tube settling tip, good idea that I'd not heard of before.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 08:26 AM   #297
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks very much Yeah, appreciate the mileage is pretty much zero - it's predecessor bike was doing that per month the previous summer - the extended inactivity was the concern. Especially on the brakes! I will get some degreaser....

JustChris thanks as well for the inner tube settling tip, good idea that I'd not heard of before.
Whenever you change a tube do this to make sure it's not pinched on your rim* worst time to do this is when miles from home with 1 spare tube that you FUBAR within 30 seconds on changing your flat

* Nasty
      05-18-2020, 02:26 PM   #298
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Some changes coming up for those of us on Strava

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/8195/...stolen-our-kom
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 02:33 PM   #299
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Haha bye bye Strava then for me. Not really fussed was good for tracking but Garmin Connect does that all for me and I support that with my Fenix purchases.

Fair play to them, little goldmine awaits I'm sure but I'm not into it enough to pay.
      05-18-2020, 02:35 PM   #300
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Haha bye bye Strava then for me. Not really fussed was good for tracking but Garmin Connect does that all for me and I support that with my Fenix purchases.

Fair play to them, little goldmine awaits I'm sure but I'm not into it enough to pay.
For £4 a month I'll stick with it.

The only other technology I use is my Apple Watch.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17549.00
      05-19-2020, 01:54 AM   #301
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

What's going on here then? The longest lap, haha the start looks hilarious and just reminds me of traffic lights on the road. (I unclip but see so many rivers try to balance for the red).

05-19-2020, 05:02 AM   #302
Ridg
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Other than some nuances with routing Garmin connect is a better training tool than strava IMO, strava is the better social platform but really depends on your goals.

If I was going to pay for a platform it would be training peaks over strava any day of the week.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17549.00
      05-19-2020, 05:18 AM   #303
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:

What's going on here then? The longest lap, haha the start looks hilarious and just reminds me of traffic lights on the road. (I unclip but see so many rivers try to balance for the red).

Can anyone here track stand??

I've been practicing last few days, my wife says I look like a fool, and point out the effort needed is far more than just stopping and putting one foot on the ground.......Rubbish I say trying to track stand in front of cars at a busy junction with everyone watching as you fail and fall flat on your backside is much more fun
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 05:48 AM   #304
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
For £4 a month I'll stick with it.

The only other technology I use is my Apple Watch.
Yeah saw this earlier today. Seems fair enough to me for £4 which is a price reduction depending how you view the service. Having not knowing anything about Strava until recently I'm happy to stick with it and enjoy the service so far..
Have to agree with most of the article which is well balanced imo..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 01:28 PM   #305
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Can anyone here track stand??

I've been practicing last few days, my wife says I look like a fool, and point out the effort needed is far more than just stopping and putting one foot on the ground.......Rubbish I say trying to track stand in front of cars at a busy junction with everyone watching as you fail and fall flat on your backside is much more fun
Only on a track bike or fixie - it takes special powers to do it on a normal road bike....
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:30 AM   #306
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Hopefully a rescue for Mavic...

https://road.cc/content/news/mavic-w...cue-bid-273651
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 10:32 AM   #307
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
Keeping the wheels turning....

05-21-2020, 10:45 AM   #308
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

So I bonked this afternoon.

I was doing a ride I've done many times before, 43km.

I had breakfast and I had a couple of bread rolls with chicken in for lunch. Maybe it was the heat (25 degrees here today) but whatever it was I got to 37km and felt dizzy, couldn't stay in a straight line, was all over the road. If it had been flat I'd have probably been ok to get home but still had one significant hill to go and knew I'd never make it. Plus I was worried about falling over in the road.

Luckily Mr TP is still working from home so he could come and collect me.
Appreciate 0