F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Failing Steering Rack
Extreme Powerhouse

12-14-2021, 10:10 AM   #1
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Failing Steering Rack

A few weeks ago I started to hear a creaking noise coming from the front of my car in low speed, high steering angle situation like pulling in/out of parking spots or a driveway. With a routine service appointment on the calendar, I just waited until the next dealer visit for them to take a look.

I was hoping for something simply like tie rod or control arm bushings going bad, but after the dealership put a series of chassis ears on the car and took it for a test drive they found the noise to be coming from inside the steering rack.

As if a steering rack going out on a car with only 54K miles isn't bad enough, the estimated $4K repair cost just made it that much worse. Of course I'm now beyond both the factory and the CPO warranty, so I'm on my own.

At this point the noise is minor and the steering doesn't feel any different, but I'm looking for options.

- Is it work a reputable indy BMW shop can handle? I've seen there is specific programming required after installation.

- Are refurbished racks even a thing? I've found a few new racks at places like Turner Motorsports and FCP Euro (though none seem to list a VSS rack like my car will need)

Thanks.
      12-15-2021, 09:16 AM   #2
Stucks
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
A few weeks ago I started to hear a creaking noise coming from the front of my car in low speed, high steering angle situation like pulling in/out of parking spots or a driveway. With a routine service appointment on the calendar, I just waited until the next dealer visit for them to take a look.

I was hoping for something simply like tie rod or control arm bushings going bad, but after the dealership put a series of chassis ears on the car and took it for a test drive they found the noise to be coming from inside the steering rack.

As if a steering rack going out on a car with only 54K miles isn't bad enough, the estimated $4K repair cost just made it that much worse. Of course I'm now beyond both the factory and the CPO warranty, so I'm on my own.

At this point the noise is minor and the steering doesn't feel any different, but I'm looking for options.

- Is it work a reputable indy BMW shop can handle? I've seen there is specific programming required after installation.

- Are refurbished racks even a thing? I've found a few new racks at places like Turner Motorsports and FCP Euro (though none seem to list a VSS rack like my car will need)

Thanks.
Check out the steering rack repair kit that bmw has. 30 bucks or so. might solve your issue for much less than you think if you can get an indy shop to install.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...waAn_3EALw_wcB
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2021, 10:32 AM   #3
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Thanks!

I've been reading up on that. Everyone there describes a "clunking" noise. I wouldn't call my noise a "clunk", but noises are so subjective depending on who hears them.

I will look into it and give the indy a call.