F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New tyres - just two new S001s or full set of non-RFT?
GetBMWParts

12-03-2021, 09:48 AM   #1
Racing Teatray
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i GC

New tyres - just two new S001s or full set of non-RFT?

Dropped my car off for its MoT and seasonal wheel change, only for the dealer to inform me that one of my rear summer tyres has a deep cut in the centre of the tread down to the cords, which was an MoT fail.

Now obviously that was fixed by simply fitting the winter wheel set.

But now I have to think about what to do with summer set - they are still the original staggered 19" Bridgestone RFT fitment that it left the factory with five years ago. They seem to have the most remarkably low wear rate because even after 41k miles (at least half of which was on this summer set), they are still at 6mm.

I would always replace tyres in pairs and I do prefer to have a matching set all around. The question is whether to just buy two new Bridgestones (255/35R19) or take the view that the front tyres are also not in the first flush of youth, and buy a full new set of, say, Michelin PS4s (I'm not fussed about RFTs)?

The other factor to consider is that I probably won't keep the car more than another 12 months, as I'll have had it six years at that point and have my eye on getting a new car.

Current: Macan GTS
Previous: 440i GC, M135i, E60 M5, Z1, 330d, 135i, Alfa 156 GTA, Mercedes 500E, Audi S3, Audi A3 quattro, VW Golf GTI 16v

Last edited by Racing Teatray; 04-04-2022 at 07:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 10:05 AM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Teatray View Post
Dropped my car off for its MoT and seasonal wheel change, only for the dealer to inform me that one of my rear summer tyres has a deep cut in the centre of the tread down to the cords, which was an MoT fail.

But now I have to think about what to do with summer set - they are still the original staggered 19" Bridgestone RFT fitment that it left the factory with five years ago. They seem to have the most remarkably low wear rate because even after 41k miles (at least half of which was on this summer set), they are still at 6mm.

I would always replace tyres in pairs and I do prefer to have a matching set all around. The question is whether to just buy two new Bridgestones or take the view that the front tyres are also not in the first flush of youth, and buy a full new set of, say, Michelin PS4s (I'm not fussed about RFTs)?

The other factor to consider is that I probably won't keep the car more than another 12 months, as I'll have had it six years at that point and have my eye on getting a new car.
If you replace just two tires always put the new tires on the rear. On the front makes car more susceptible to spinning out.

I highly recommend the summer Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Best tire in both dry and rain that I've ever driven.

I also recommend upgrading tire size. For instance I upgraded from stock runflat 225/45-18 to 245/40-18 MPS4S on my stock 400M 8.0"x 18" ET34 wheels. Tremendous difference in handling.

You have the entire winter driving on your winter tires to car shop to decide when/if you might get another car. Then you can make a tire decision. I've had friends who evaluated current used and new cars, decided price and availability were poor, so they decided to keep their current car longer than expected.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 11:52 AM   #3
Kermit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive Shadow Edition

How old are the tyres? Black circles just replaced three of mine under their warranty for the exact same reason. Might be worth exploring with whoever you got you tyres from. It's a sliding scale... >6mm tread left equals full cost covered usually.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 01:07 PM   #4
Racing Teatray
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Five years old - they are the set it left the factory with.

Previous: 440i GC, M135i, E60 M5, Z1, 330d, 135i, Alfa 156 GTA, Mercedes 500E, Audi S3, Audi A3 quattro, VW Golf GTI 16v
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 02:27 PM   #5
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

I'd consider the fact they're 5 years old, the slash and the fact they are Bridgestone runflats(the worst of the runflats) as 3 great reasons to get a full set of Ps4s. They are excellent compared to most tyres, but as an upgrade from the bridgestones the difference will be huge in all tyre metrics.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 03:01 PM   #6
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:

I would always replace tyres in pairs and I do prefer to have a matching set all around. The question is whether to just buy two new Bridgestones (255/35R19) or take the view that the front tyres are also not in the first flush of youth, and buy a full new set of, say, Michelin PS4s (I'm not fussed about RFTs)?

If you've been reasonably happy with the Bridgestones - and don't intend to keep the car for more than another 12 months - I'd take the line of least resistance (and lowest cost!) and just get two new Bridgestones.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 08:31 AM   #7
Racing Teatray
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks. I don't have to resolve this problem until whenever the winter wheels come back off - so circa end of March.

Another question - the alloys could do with some refurbing - nothing major - just a couple of small scrapes on the outer edges. Better before fitting new tyres or after? Am guessing after...

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 10:53 AM   #8
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

The option you don't mention is 'new tyres at the point of refurbishment'.
My prefered wheel refinisher is happy to take delivery from Blackcircles* and fit them to the refinished wheels. No one else to blame / worry about that way.

*Other tyre suppliers are available!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 11:10 AM   #9
Racing Teatray
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that - thanks!

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 06:57 AM   #10
Racing Teatray
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Any further thoughts on this. The daffodils are out, it's warm outside and I ought the get the winters off...

My query is whether, if I'm just changing the two 255/35/19s on the back, to just grab another pair of Potenza S001s (on the premise that better for all four tyres to match, although it's a RWD car) or get a pair of better tyres - there's very little in it, costs-wise.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 07:42 AM   #11
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Any further thoughts on this. The daffodils are out, it's warm outside and I ought the get the winters off...

My query is whether, if I'm just changing the two 255/35/19s on the back, to just grab another pair of Potenza S001s (on the premise that better for all four tyres to match, although it's a RWD car) or get a pair of better tyres - there's very little in it, costs-wise.

Buy a full set of Goodyear AS 5’s and thank me later.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 08:25 AM   #12
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Quote:

If you aren't fussed about RFT, it would be time to ditch them IMO.

Michelin PS4 or PS4S all round.

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 06:45 AM   #13
Racing Teatray
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaan View Post

Armaan
Blackcircles were doing a deal on PS4S, so went for those. There was only £300 in it between a full set of new PS4S and two new S001s, so thought I might as well treat the car to a new set. After all the current tyres are what it left the factory with in 2016 - I've been amazed at how well they've lasted.

Should be going on tomorrow - I shall be interested to see if the car feels different. I mean it obviously will versus the 18" Pirelli Sottozero winters that are currently on the car, but whether it feels better than I recall with the Bridgestones on.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 08:01 AM   #14
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
....... but whether it feels better than I recall with the Bridgestones on.
It will
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 10:16 AM   #15
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaan View Post

Armaan
Blackcircles were doing a deal on PS4S, so went for those. There was only £300 in it between a full set of new PS4S and two new S001s, so thought I might as well treat the car to a new set. After all the current tyres are what it left the factory with in 2016 - I've been amazed at how well they've lasted.

Should be going on tomorrow - I shall be interested to see if the car feels different. I mean it obviously will versus the 18" Pirelli Sottozero winters that are currently on the car, but whether it feels better than I recall with the Bridgestones on.
Do let us know how you get on, I'll definitely be ditching my RFT when the time comes - problem is that my mileage is about 5k per year, so they have some life left, rears being new in 2019 when I bought it.

Night and day from most on here.

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 05:51 AM   #16
Michealog
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 M Sport

It's the same old nugget...Run-Flats or non-RF's...but what about a spare ? There's certainly a nicer ambiance in the car without the RF's. 4 no. Goodyears get my vote !
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 06:07 AM   #17
Racing Teatray
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michealog View Post
It's the same old nugget...Run-Flats or non-RF's...but what about a spare ? There's certainly a nicer ambiance in the car without the RF's. 4 no. Goodyears get my vote !
Can of Holts...I had the Super Sports on my previous M135i, which equally didn't have a spare.

I went for the XL versions on the basis that it's a pretty fast and reasonably heavy car, and they should be sturdier than the normal versions.

So far, I haven't detected any particularly noticeable difference in ride quality or tyre noise (albeit I've had the winters on for the last three months so not a back-to-back comparison and possibly because they are XLs), but at the first roundabout on a dual carriageway (ie the sort that is well-sighted and you take with a degree of speed if no-one is coming the other way) the positive difference in turn-in and bite was enough to make me sit up and think "oh yes, that's much better". Just felt crisper and keener - like HD versus normal TV.

Appreciate 0