F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 2016 NA GPS Update - 1 USB drive?
Studio RSR

02-20-2016, 09:03 PM   #1
rwmorey
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Convertible

2016 NA GPS Update - 1 USB drive?

Hi --

I have purchased the North America 2016 GPS update along with an FSC code. My question is - can I put all the files on the drive at the same time so I don't have to swap out USB sticks? I only have one big USB stick and so it would mean copying DISK 1 to the drive, doing the update, coming back inside, copying DISK 2 to the drive, etc.

I experimented by putting all the data on the drive and the car recognized that there was an update for GPS available but then I got a message that said "please connect the usb device 1 to start the update" with a spinning indicator and a "Cancel" option.

When I did the install initially (before I had the FSC code) with disk 1 stuff on the USB drive it prompted me almost immediately for the FSC code so I was thinking it would work that quickly again.

Anyway, if anyone has done this without the need to "swap" USB devices for each disc and could tell me how they did it that would be great!

Thanks

Rich
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 10:04 PM   #2
nhinnhuckyduc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328D

That is correct all you would need is a 32gb or greater. The whole file is about 25gb
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 10:08 PM   #3
rwmorey
Rep

How do I do it? As I said initially

I experimented by putting all the data on the drive and the car recognized that there was an update for GPS available but then I got a message that said "please connect the usb device 1 to start the update" with a spinning indicator and a "Cancel" option.

So was I on the right track as far as just dumping everything into one directory? Or is there a certain folder structure it expects?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 09:52 PM   #4
nhinnhuckyduc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmorey
How do I do it? As I said initially

So was I on the right track as far as just dumping everything into one directory? Or is there a certain folder structure it expects?
Inside the NAVD folder, copy the 3 files, and the 4 folders named 1-4 as is and complete to the USB Drive
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 01:19 PM   #5
rwmorey
Rep

Hi --

I already did it "manually" with the three disk method. However, others may be interested so if you can explain in a little more detail although perhaps you are speaking of an update for the NBT version? I have the older GPS and it was only 3 discs not 4 so that's why I'm thinking you are referring to the newer GPS update.

Either way, can you detail the directory structure.. Is it
{root}
NAVD
Or is the NAVD directory not needed?

What 3 files go inside the NAVD (or root) directory?

Thanks

Rich
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 01:11 PM   #6
F80_BK
M3MBER
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 -Yas Marina/Silverstone

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
There will be 3 folders on the 32GB USB stick like so:

Root
USB1 (directory)
USB2 (directory)
USB3 (directory)
Copy the entire contents of USB1 to the root of the USB stick, should only be the following:

config.nfm
pkgdb (directory)

Once uploaded to the car, the car will ask for USB2. Delete both the config.fm and pkgdb from the root or move them back into USB1 directory.

Repeat the same steps with USB2, moving its contents to the root, upload to car, remove contents from root when finished or place back into USB2... and repeat the steps again with USB3. All 3 USB directories will contain the same file names (config.nfm & pkgdb), but they all contain different information. So just make you sure you place them into the root in the correct order during the update process and remove them before adding the next ones to the root.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 04:06 PM   #7
MPavlis76
Registered
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW 540d xDrive Touring G31

Angry Same problem..

rwmorey> Please, how did you resolve issue with "Please connect the USB device 1 to start the update."?

I'm in exact same situation with "BMW USB Update Road Map Europe NEXT 2016-2" downloaded files (with folders 1, 2, 3, 4 and files config.nfm, NBT_ECE_101153.3.111.pkg and NBT_ECE_101153.3.111.pkg.sig).

Or anybody else could help me please?
Thanks a lot in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 04:08 AM   #8
blackhawk_down2002
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanF30 View Post
There will be 3 folders on the 32GB USB stick like so:

Root
USB1 (directory)
USB2 (directory)
USB3 (directory)
Copy the entire contents of USB1 to the root of the USB stick, should only be the following:

config.nfm
pkgdb (directory)

Once uploaded to the car, the car will ask for USB2. Delete both the config.fm and pkgdb from the root or move them back into USB1 directory.

Repeat the same steps with USB2, moving its contents to the root, upload to car, remove contents from root when finished or place back into USB2... and repeat the steps again with USB3. All 3 USB directories will contain the same file names (config.nfm & pkgdb), but they all contain different information. So just make you sure you place them into the root in the correct order during the update process and remove them before adding the next ones to the root.
Is there a way to have the install go automatically from one file to the next the same way the NBT system does?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 07:04 PM   #9
mikimedic
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPavlis76 View Post
rwmorey> Please, how did you resolve issue with "Please connect the USB device 1 to start the update."?

I'm in exact same situation with "BMW USB Update Road Map Europe NEXT 2016-2" downloaded files (with folders 1, 2, 3, 4 and files config.nfm, NBT_ECE_101153.3.111.pkg and NBT_ECE_101153.3.111.pkg.sig).

Or anybody else could help me please?
Thanks a lot in advance!
Were you able to resolve the issue? I am also in the same situation with Europe NEXT 2017 - 1, downloaded through connected drive services.

Must say that Connected Drive support in Switzerland is useless and clueless. The whole concept of connected drive is such a disappointment for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 06:57 AM   #10
mikimedic
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d xdrive

UPDATE: Just received an email from BMW connected drive Switzerland, saying they are unable to solve the problem and that I should go back to ordinary manual way through a dealer.

So much for the Connected Drive... plain useless.
Appreciate 0