F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Anyone been to Iceland?
proTUNING Freaks

11-29-2021, 07:01 AM   #1
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Anyone been to Iceland?

TG last night made me think about this.....

It's my 60th next October, and one of the places on me & Mrs BT's bucket list is Iceland. Has anyone on here visited, and if so, what would you recommend seeing/doing?

I guess some things will be very weather dependent, but I'd like to do as much as we can over 5-7 days - assuming of course that we're able to travel at all and the 'Thanos' variant of COVID hasn't surfaced.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 08:04 AM   #2
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

I went in February a few years ago. The wife wanted to see the Northern Lights, which we did on a few nights.
Stayed in a flat about an hours drive from Reykjavik on the south of the island. Cosy and warm.
Even with everything white, the scenery was mind blowing.
Hired an Outlander bit didn't need the 4x4 for 90% of the time. Roads kept fairly clear, but even the snow roads had fair grip. Interior of the island was completely no go in February. Websites tell you which roads are closed and the traffic volume on the main roads that aren't.
To do.
Northern lights - don't need a tour guide, just go out somewhere where there's no houses!
Blue Lagoon - half a day getting par boiled in hot water
Various frozen waterfalls and rivers.
Geysers here and there. Hot springs too if you want outdoor dip.
The continental divide between Europe and America is on the island, so you can go and stand with one leg in Europe, the other in America.

It's quite expensive although petrol was cheaper there than at home....hire companies may give you a loyalty card for discount on fuel. There are a few VERY cheap fuel stations dotted about - usually at the far end of a shopping centre car park. Unmanned. Weird really!
I wouldn't bother with organised stuff - hire a car and accommodation yourself. There's enough info out there.
5 to 7 days is about right - gives you options if the weather is garbage for the Northern lights.
If you need drink, you have to go to State booze shops (or bars!)
I seem to recall that you can get Duty Free at Reykjavic Airport inbound, so you can pick up spirits there.
Didn't use cash at all in the week I was there. Changed the money at the airport at a better rate I bought it at!

Seeing TG there last night made me want to go back.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2021, 08:06 AM   #3
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

I would recommend the ice cream isle............

Ill get my coat.
Appreciate 3
mcoops1757.00
JustChris17487.50
      11-29-2021, 09:04 AM   #4
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Yes been there, hired a VW golf and did the golden circle, blue lagoon, imagine peace tower.

It's an interesting place, incredibly expensive, we paid 11 quid for a cone of chips...

Stayed in the capital which was a good base.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2021, 09:50 AM   #5
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335d

Visited a few years back and absolutely loved it.

It is expensive, but you can get around that with some research on places to eat, happy hours etc. Or just prepare to spend.

Northern Lights - book for early in your stay as you will get to rebook at no cost if you don't see them. We saw them on our third attempt on our last night, returned to the hotel 4 hours before we left for the airport!

Blue Lagoon

Golden circle - takes in waterfalls, glaciers, geysers and the continental divide.

Some really good restaurants in reykjavik itself. Whale watching is supposed to be pretty good, but didn't get round to that.

Don't do a skidoo ride across the the glacier, the going is slow due to guided groups and H&S and all you see is white; Clouds, snow(falling and fallen) and scenery, wasn't the best experience. It seems a given that things will be white, but snow blindness is a thing, if you like to stare at the back of another skidoo with strangers on it, then you'll enjoy it.

We used guided tours which were all well run and organised, but seemed to easy enough to do your own thing. A lot of roads and paths are heated due to the abundance of geothermal energy.

Availability of all the trips will depend on time of year, we went in March, it was great, we loved it.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2021, 09:50 AM   #6
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
I went in February a few years ago. The wife wanted to see the Northern Lights, which we did on a few nights.
Stayed in a flat about an hours drive from Reykjavik on the south of the island. Cosy and warm.
Even with everything white, the scenery was mind blowing.
Hired an Outlander bit didn't need the 4x4 for 90% of the time. Roads kept fairly clear, but even the snow roads had fair grip. Interior of the island was completely no go in February. Websites tell you which roads are closed and the traffic volume on the main roads that aren't.
To do.
Northern lights - don't need a tour guide, just go out somewhere where there's no houses!
Blue Lagoon - half a day getting par boiled in hot water
Various frozen waterfalls and rivers.
Geysers here and there. Hot springs too if you want outdoor dip.
The continental divide between Europe and America is on the island, so you can go and stand with one leg in Europe, the other in America.

It's quite expensive although petrol was cheaper there than at home....hire companies may give you a loyalty card for discount on fuel. There are a few VERY cheap fuel stations dotted about - usually at the far end of a shopping centre car park. Unmanned. Weird really!
I wouldn't bother with organised stuff - hire a car and accommodation yourself. There's enough info out there.
5 to 7 days is about right - gives you options if the weather is garbage for the Northern lights.
If you need drink, you have to go to State booze shops (or bars!)
I seem to recall that you can get Duty Free at Reykjavic Airport inbound, so you can pick up spirits there.
Didn't use cash at all in the week I was there. Changed the money at the airport at a better rate I bought it at!

Seeing TG there last night made me want to go back.
Cheers Mike, lots of really useful stuff there.

I'd had a brief look at some of the organised tours, but like you say it's better doing it yourself. Don't really like the whole tour bus vibe, and have been used (pre-COVID) to organising our own hiking tours in Europe, mostly the Alps & Pyrenees so happy to do the same for here.

Under no illusions about the cost of many things in Iceland, but I'll only do this once, and as they say there's no pockets in a shroud....
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 10:04 AM   #7
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Iceland is absolutely stunning! I went in 2018 and loved every moment of it.

Some photos here..

https://jetone.co.uk/iceland-2018-fr...ar-tomato-farm

https://jetone.co.uk/iceland-2018-ge...eothermal-area

https://jetone.co.uk/iceland-2018-gullfoss-waterfall

https://jetone.co.uk/iceland-2018-th...-national-park

https://jetone.co.uk/iceland-2018-skogafoss-waterfall

https://jetone.co.uk/iceland-2018-reynisfjara-beach

https://jetone.co.uk/iceland-2018-se...foss-waterfall

https://jetone.co.uk/iceland-2018-kerid-crater

https://jetone.co.uk/iceland-2018-reykjavik-city

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2021, 10:18 AM   #8
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

If a sighting of the Northern Lights is a priority, chances of seeing them this winter is looking pretty good. Solar activity is picking up now as we are well past Solar Minimum and there are some really big and active Sunspots in the offing.
We've already had some good displays here in north-east Scotland, and looking forward to plenty more through until Spring.
I took this one at our local beach at the end of September.
Attached Images

11-29-2021, 11:35 AM   #9
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post

Ill get my coat.
Not myself, but Mum's just been

Appreciate 1
      11-29-2021, 01:50 PM   #10
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoops View Post

Only the two of you took the bait..... disappointing
Appreciate 1
mcoops1757.00
      11-30-2021, 06:25 AM   #11
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Mum
      11-30-2021, 06:27 AM   #12
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
Quote:

Only the two of you took the bait..... disappointing
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post

Ill get my coat.
Dammit too late

That's why Mums gone to Iceland.
Attached Images

11-30-2021, 07:54 AM   #13
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

I think Dad might've gone to Iceland as well.....

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      11-30-2021, 02:52 PM   #14
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Xdrive with ACS Springs

Been a few times, albeit not for several years now and may try and organise a trip back next year as I’ve not yet ventured to the North of the Island.

Golden Circle tour, Snowmobiling across the Glacier and the ubiquitous Blue Lagoon all worth doing. Some good restaurants as well albeit eating and drinking out is very expensive.

Stayed here a couple of times: https://www.roomwithaview.is/
Really central - more so than several of the hotels - and a good base to get around from.

People are really friendly and, whilst guessing not part of the plans for your 60th, I’ve had some of my best partying nights out in Reykjavik. The women there really do live up to the picture above - probably the highest proportion of attractive women I’ve seen before and the time I went there when single will be one I remember for a very long time!
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2021, 02:59 AM   #15
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
People are really friendly and, whilst guessing not part of the plans for your 60th, I’ve had some of my best partying nights out in Reykjavik. The women there really do live up to the picture above - probably the highest proportion of attractive women I’ve seen before and the time I went there when single will be one I remember for a very long time!
One is never too old to party...... or to trade in for a newer model

(And I have Mrs BT's permission to say that)
Appreciate 2
allachie91334.00
G50954.50
      12-01-2021, 04:31 AM   #16
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Me - 440i , Dog - Cayenne

Life Beyond the Lobby last night featured a hotel in Iceland :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...-hotel-iceland

K
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2021, 05:57 AM   #17
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo67 View Post
Life Beyond the Lobby last night featured a hotel in Iceland :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...-hotel-iceland

K
Yes, watched that. It's the first one I think that has spent so little time in the hotel itself and concentrated on the external activities.

Really want to do the snorkelling in the tectonic gorge, looks fantastic but not sure if it'll be do-able in late October.

Interesting point about wanting people to come and see the glaciers, and understand the impact of climate change, and yet flying to Iceland is contributing to their demise.
Appreciate 0