F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Tyres - RFT/non-RFT?
Studio RSR

02-25-2021, 01:10 PM   #45
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubado View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PX3 View Post
Let us know how you get on with the Kwik Fit mobile fitter (out of interest), as well as the Michelin RFT's (interested to know if these are any good).

Thanks
Will do. As with anything like this I always make sure the kettle is boiled and a choice of beverage is available. Normally find that a little kindness and courtesy goes a long way.

I’ll definitely report back on the tyres 👍
Do me a favour and ask what pressures to put in compared to RFT? Seems to be a raft of different opinion on the matter so I'm curious what they'd recommend
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 01:18 PM   #46
Scubado
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 430d Gran Coupe xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaEugence View Post
Do me a favour and ask what pressures to put in compared to RFT? Seems to be a raft of different opinion on the matter so I'm curious what they'd recommend
Sorry mate, he’d been and gone before I saw this.

Very efficient was only here about a hour. Clean and tidy job, refused a hot beverage. Was very complimentary about the new tyres, recons they’re very good. Couldn’t fault the guy at all.

Took the car out for a drive down the dual carriageway after, all felt good but didn’t take it to warp speed as you’re supposed to take it easy for a bit on new tyres 😉😇
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 02:47 AM   #47
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubado View Post
Sorry mate, he’d been and gone before I saw this.

Very efficient was only here about a hour. Clean and tidy job, refused a hot beverage. Was very complimentary about the new tyres, recons they’re very good. Couldn’t fault the guy at all.

Took the car out for a drive down the dual carriageway after, all felt good but didn’t take it to warp speed as you’re supposed to take it easy for a bit on new tyres 😉😇
I realise it all depends on what fitter you get, but its good to hear yours went without any issue.

Once you have been out and about a bit more, maybe you can feedback on whether you have noticed any benefits i.e. general comfort, grip etc.
Again, I realise its difficult when you buy new tyres, as the extra tread etc can make it feel completely different, but once you lose some of that over the years / miles, the dreaded RFT characteristics return!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 02:16 PM   #48
nascot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

The rears on mine are due a replacement so weighing up what to get next. I'm keen to get rid of the runflats and go for some MPS4. I've looked through lots of threads but not found (or have probably missed) a defintive answer for a) what should the pressures be if different from RFTS and b) does it mess up the TPMS? Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 03:50 AM   #49
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascot View Post
The rears on mine are due a replacement so weighing up what to get next. I'm keen to get rid of the runflats and go for some MPS4. I've looked through lots of threads but not found (or have probably missed) a defintive answer for a) what should the pressures be if different from RFTS and b) does it mess up the TPMS? Cheers
A: Ive had a few cars where i've gone from RFT to normal tyres. The M cars are usually a good indication of tyre pressures to head for as they are a similar weight with regular tyres.

You will need to reduce pressure as RFT's need a higher pressure to keep the cars weight off the sidewalls. I've found the sweet spot for my 430dX with MPS4S is 34/34 F/R. Standard 19's with RFT's is 38/38 i think.

B: TPMS are unaffected.
Appreciate 1
nascot124.50
      03-12-2021, 05:56 AM   #50
dave550i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 640D Vert Melbourne Red

Sorry to sort of hijack the thread but im thinking of going the non runflat route also but what do we do when we are on the M1 smart motor way for example with no hard shoulder and we get a instant flat tyre? this is what worries me and makes me think to stick with run flats just for piece of mind especially if you have family with you, very frightening
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 08:52 AM   #51
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave550i View Post
Sorry to sort of hijack the thread but im thinking of going the non runflat route also but what do we do when we are on the M1 smart motor way for example with no hard shoulder and we get a instant flat tyre? this is what worries me and makes me think to stick with run flats just for piece of mind especially if you have family with you, very frightening
Balance of probability... it's extremely unlikely to get an instant blowout flat rather than a slow puncture, especially if you look after your car.

If your tyres are in good condition, tread above minimum limits, no damage/bulges/cracks to sidewalls etc... it's not likely to be a rapid puncture... nails or bolts in the tyre can still hold pressure very well.

So, it depends which side of the line of risk/benefit you lie.
Me, I'm firmly in the non-runflats.
They're cheaper, far more comfortable, better quality, less likely to get damaged (or cause damage... runflat + pothole can be extremely traumatic for the car).
The downside is that you cannot run when they are flat.

But then only once have I had a puncture I couldn't drive on, out of 3. The other 2 were slow punctures so could keep them topped up. The 3rd was a shattered wheel which even a runflat wouldn't have been able to drive on.

My progress thread
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 04:20 PM   #52
DJ340
Rep
Drives: F31 340i mPerformance

Hi, I'm also looking to swop out my 20" p zero rfts on the F31 340 and considering the Michelin PS4 or Goodyear Eagle AS3. Any thoughts on which is the better option and do either have any rim protection?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 05:12 PM   #53
cramsnik
Crustacean denier
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Are the AS3's not being phased out? I have Asy 5 on my 335, they have a reasonable lip as protection.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 06:50 PM   #54
DJ340
Rep
Drives: F31 340i mPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramsnik View Post
Are the AS3's not being phased out? I have Asy 5 on my 335, they have a reasonable lip as protection.
Thanks, will check out the AS5, the lip protection is important too. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 03:13 AM   #55
nascot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well I took the plunge and replaced the RFTs with a set of MPS4. For me I notice quite a big difference; the ride is noticeably quieter, there's less crashing over bumps or potholes and less 'skipping' in corners. Worth noting I also have Eibach springs so coupled with the new tyres perhaps this has helped with cornering.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 03:48 AM   #56
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Quote:
Well I took the plunge and replaced the RFTs with a set of MPS4. For me I notice quite a big difference; the ride is noticeably quieter, there's less crashing over bumps or potholes and less 'skipping' in corners. Worth noting I also have Eibach springs so coupled with the new tyres perhaps this has helped with cornering.
What brand/model were your old tyres?
      04-15-2021, 03:49 AM   #57
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Eibachs + non-RTF is much better ride than stock suspension and RTFs IMO.

It's about the crashing over bumps and skipping on corners. The normal tyres can absorb a lot of that in their sidewall that the standard springs cannot.

I don't know anyone who made the switch and said it was a bad decision.

My progress thread
Appreciate 1
nascot124.50
      04-15-2021, 06:36 AM   #58
nascot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
What brand/model were your old tyres?
Bridgestones that came with the car from new. Can't remember the exact model but I'm sure there's plenty on here who've had the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 06:42 AM   #59
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Bridgestone Potenza S001?

Just curious what your basis for comparison is. I have been looking at upgrading to the PS4S but my Bridgestone S001s are too new to just throw away and I don't have a buyer for them yet...

(I'm already on ACS Springs)
      04-15-2021, 10:25 AM   #60
cramsnik
Crustacean denier
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Quote:
Bridgestone Potenza S001?

Just curious what your basis for comparison is. I have been looking at upgrading to the PS4S but my Bridgestone S001s are too new to just throw away and I don't have a buyer for them yet...

(I'm already on ACS Springs)
I ended putting my S001's on eBay, eventually went after a couple of attempts.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 08:36 AM   #61
vooheese
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F20-120i

Quote:
This feedback is extremely valuable for me, as I am currently on Bridgestone Potenza S001 (from factory) and considering PS4. I reckon you are also on 19"? What suspension do you have? Would you say the PS4 are less noisy and less "nervous"? Is the increase of comfort really obvious?

Bottom line - if you have perfectly good Potenza S001 RFTs as I do, which can be driven a few more years (since I also don't drive much with the BMW, it is not a daily ride), is it worth spending the money to go over to PS4?
I am looking for a bit more comfort (mainly noise!) but also better traction during acceleration and sporty driving, combined with I assume reduced weight.

Noting that in the States, the so called Track Handling Package you can order the car to come with includes non-RFT PS4 tires, instead of the standard RFTs BMWs come with. There must be a reason......
PS4 is quiter than RFT (s001,etc), but it is not quite.

And PS4 makes the steering feeling not "BMW", make it slow. I don't like it. Because the side wall of PS4 is too soft.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 10:19 AM   #62
hdaskalov
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G11 730d Xdrive

BMW G11 730d Xdrive tires

Hello. I just want some advice about the tires. The car came with Michelin Primacy 3 ZP runflat from factory. When the worn out last summer I decided to change to non runflat tires without the BMW star homologation. I bought Michelin Pilot Sport 5 with the same size as original tires were - front 245 45 19, rear 275 40 19
The difference of comfort between runflat and non runflat tire was not noticeable. I suggest this is due to the Air suspension of the car.

The problem was that the front Michelin Pilot Sport 5 were 2 cm lower than the rear and the size didn't match that of the original tires. The xdrive error appear and had to sold them. Now I am considering between Michelin Primacy 3 runflat (which the car originally was fitted) with BMW star and Pirelli P zero PZ4 non runflat with BMW star.

The attachment is photo of Michelin PS5 and the tire difference between front and rear.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 11:22 AM   #63
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdaskalov View Post
Hello. I just want some advice about the tires. The car came with Michelin Primacy 3 ZP runflat from factory. When the worn out last summer I decided to change to non runflat tires without the BMW star homologation. I bought Michelin Pilot Sport 5 with the same size as original tires were - front 245 45 19, rear 275 40 19
The difference of comfort between runflat and non runflat tire was not noticeable. I suggest this is due to the Air suspension of the car.

The problem was that the front Michelin Pilot Sport 5 were 2 cm lower than the rear and the size didn't match that of the original tires. The xdrive error appear and had to sold them. Now I am considering between Michelin Primacy 3 runflat (which the car originally was fitted) with BMW star and Pirelli P zero PZ4 non runflat with BMW star.

The attachment is photo of Michelin PS5 and the tire difference between front and rear.
You've posted this in a UK section of the forums; related to 3 & 4 series cars..............
      03-17-2024, 01:19 PM   #64
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Air suspension…!? In an F3x!?
      03-17-2024, 01:57 PM   #65
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Quote:
Air suspension…!? In an F3x!?
No; the title of his post is: "BMW G11 730d Xdrive tires"
      03-20-2024, 09:51 AM   #66
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:

Blimey, that's bad. If you input the sizes here https://alloywheels.com/tyreCalculatorResults2

It shows just a 0.07% circumference & 0.5mm difference in diameter. Guess they were both manufacturered at the opposite extremes allowed under the ETRTO -2.5% and +1.5%
Appreciate 0