F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Paddles....
proTUNING Freaks

01-16-2019, 01:01 PM   #1
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
Paddles....

After a trip to Bath yesterday taking in some great driving roads through the Cotswolds I put the car into sport and box into manual and used the paddles.

Is it me or are the stock paddles on the Msport steering wheel a bit short. I have had a look online and seen a whole load of various stock on extenders (has anyone got any good photos of these fitted & any decent looking recommendations) also how hard is it to retrofit the paddles which (look better & are longer)from the M2/3/4 to the Msport steering wheel or is it just better to do the full M sport to M wheel swap out.
      01-16-2019, 01:12 PM   #2
RickLS7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435D, Boxster 981S

There are all manner of extensions on Ebay, here's some but there are loads more:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Steeri...-/172917763511

I use the paddles all the time, quite often in comfort when I want a bit more engine braking, a quick overtake or whatever. Auto is more enjoyable when you quickly grab a different gear rather than waiting.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 01:16 PM   #3
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLS7 View Post
There are all manner of extensions on Ebay, here's some but there are loads more:

I use the paddles all the time, quite often in comfort when I want a bit more engine braking, a quick overtake or whatever. Auto is more enjoyable when you quickly grab a different gear rather than waiting.
Thanks, yes I had seen there were loads just really wanted to see what others had gone for and any pics of them fitted, and if the M ones were a better no extension needed nicer OEM+ mod to the Msport wheel for a more factory look.
      01-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #4
Iyrix
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d & 335i

Quote:

I've looked at these before, but was unsure on how they'd feel and the looks.

Anyone with them and pics?

I do use the paddles everyday. Love it!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:24 PM   #5
RickLS7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I've always thought the ebay extensions look nasty:

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:28 PM   #6
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:

Yuk
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2019, 02:34 PM   #7
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post
Quote:

Yuk
Just like something out of max power I thought the carbon would look ok but not seen any decent pics of them fitted.
      01-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #8
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

The OEM non-M paddles are nasty little things - too short (for my finger reach anyway) and no real lip for your fingertips to engage with. I fitted M3/4 paddles to my MSport Steering wheel and massively prefer them. They're just a bit nearer my fingertips and have a better angled profile which makes their action much better.

Bought from ebay, genuine BMW units for £100. The only tricky bit was getting the airbag out of the steering wheel boss - you can't see into the boss, the catch design has varied over the years that the F3X has been in production, and it can be a shit of a job poking around with a tool wondering whether you are wrecking the catches, wiring or the airbag itself.

If I was doing it again it'd be a much easier job as I now have a good mind's eye view of what I need the tool to press against. Once you've released the catches the airbag just pops out and you can then get to the paddles retaining screws.

Fitting the new paddles is a doddle, as is the rest of the wheel rebuild.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #9
RickLS7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

If you can source the shifter modules cheaply off an M3 (F80), they are a straight swap. I looked at doing this a while ago but got distracted by other things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=ZFqOCkXsiyc

Edit: Watsey beat me to it!
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #10
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
The OEM non-M paddles are nasty little things - too short (for my finger reach anyway) and no real lip for your fingertips to engage with. I fitted M3/4 paddles to my MSport Steering wheel and massively prefer them. They're just a bit nearer my fingertips and have a better angled profile which makes their action much better.

Bought from ebay, genuine BMW units for £100. The only tricky bit was getting the airbag out of the steering wheel boss - you can't see into the boss, the catch design has varied over the years that the F3X has been in production, and it can be a shit of a job poking around with a tool wondering whether you are wrecking the catches, wiring or the airbag itself.

If I was doing it again it'd be a much easier job as I now have a good mind's eye view of what I need the tool to press against. Once you've released the catches the airbag just pops out and you can then get to the paddles retaining screws.

Thanks for your reply, do you have a pic of these on the Msport wheel. Thinking this might be the best option
      01-16-2019, 03:43 PM   #11
SW6Steve
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

I almost went with these, https://paddleshifterz.com, but ended up using the m paddle shifters. Decided on oem!
They're not cheep, although plain colours are not much more than a secondhand set of M ones. Ive not seen any M paddles for £100, more like £150!
There is also a good video that shows you how to, including what you need to do to remove the airbag!
For a picture of factory paddles, any F* M car interior shot shows how they look.

Edit: If using oem M paddles, they are a direct replacement for the originals. No splitting paddles needed!

Last edited by SW6Steve; 01-16-2019 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2019, 04:33 PM   #12
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENT-A-GOAT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post

Thanks for your reply, do you have a pic of these on the Msport wheel. Thinking this might be the best option
Here you go :
Attached Images

Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2019, 10:27 PM   #13
dirkules88
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Get proper aluminium ones from MMR performance, I love mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 02:29 AM   #14
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

The M paddles are far far nicer but they dont actually stick out any further than before. I took before and after shots when I fitted mine and I was shocked and confused to see they didnt stick out further.

They are FAR FAR better and they feel like they stick out more but somehow they dont. They are much better to use in day to day driving and you dont feel like you're constantly reaching a full hand behind the wheel.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2019, 03:20 AM   #15
Abzynthe
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Gran Coupe LCI

I've never found my paddles to be a problem. Maybe I have long fingers. When I drove an M4 last year on track, it may have just been as I was concentrating on driving, but I didn't feel any considerable difference between mine and the M paddles.

When driving on track, you usually always drive at 9 and 3, so paddle reach is always available. Its better than some cars where the paddles are static, meaning the wheel has to be in the right position for you to be able to reach the paddles.
      01-17-2019, 04:48 AM   #16
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 2017 335d black

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW6Steve View Post
I almost went with these, https://paddleshifterz.com, but ended up using the m paddle shifters. Decided on oem!
They're not cheep, although plain colours are not much more than a secondhand set of M ones. Ive not seen any M paddles for £100, more like £150!
There is also a good video that shows you how to, including what you need to do to remove the airbag!
For a picture of factory paddles, any F* M car interior shot shows how they look.

Edit: If using oem M paddles, they are a direct replacement for the originals. No splitting paddles needed!
https://www.mmrperformance.co.uk/pro...ift-paddle-set

Id normally choose OEM every time but.....

I like these and the MMR ones as the seem to be longer and come lower down the wheel and a touch higher up then the OEM M ones?
Only in black or dark grey though nothing that looks likes its from Max Power!

Last edited by flashollie; 01-17-2019 at 04:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #17
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Orange F33 435dx Convertible

Are they that small? Not found them to be an issue but hey I have long fingers! To be fair I don't use them that much but they are fun but so is just pushing the gear lever to the left and using manual mode.
      01-17-2019, 02:17 PM   #18
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-c View Post
The M paddles are far far nicer but they dont actually stick out any further than before. I took before and after shots when I fitted mine and I was shocked and confused to see they didnt stick out further.

They are FAR FAR better and they feel like they stick out more but somehow they dont. They are much better to use in day to day driving and you dont feel like you're constantly reaching a full hand behind the wheel.
The M Paddles are closer to the edge of the wheel, so even though they don't stick out any further, they are in a better position for ease of use.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #19
Ads4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MPPSK 340i with MP Bodykit

M3/4 paddles for me too, love them. Look thinner and neater and a much better reach/grab.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2019, 02:45 PM   #20
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Had a quick nip into my local dealers (screen wash run) and whilst there I got chance to get sat behind the wheel in the showroom M4 and yes the M paddles are just nicer and felt a lot better than the Msport just got to decide to either find a set of paddles and retrofit to my wheel or find a complete minus airbag M3/4 wheel and do a complete retrofit with the nicer covers etc.
      01-18-2019, 06:15 PM   #21
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

I wish you hadn’t posted this. I ended up ordering a set of M3 paddles for mine.

I’ve got quite small hands, and the standard paddles never felt quite long enough.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2019, 02:55 AM   #22
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 2017 335d black

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENT-A-GOAT View Post
Had a quick nip into my local dealers (screen wash run) and whilst there I got chance to get sat behind the wheel in the showroom M4 and yes the M paddles are just nicer and felt a lot better than the Msport just got to decide to either find a set of paddles and retrofit to my wheel or find a complete minus airbag M3/4 wheel and do a complete retrofit with the nicer covers etc.
I thought about changing the whole for an M3 or 4. But what's the difference between the Msport on my 335d and the standard M3 wheel.
There's the Uber fancy one with revs displayed in the wheel but mostly they look the same but for a split in the bottom spoke?
Appreciate 0