F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Anti-roll (Sway) Bars Options study
ARMA SPEED

12-29-2021, 03:23 PM   #155
mixmastermike
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Xdrive

New to the forum...

I have to say this forum is a real treasure.

I studied the information in here and picked up a used 15mm rear sway bar and installed it on my 2016 340i Xdrive - it's really made a big difference to the handling. The rear end feels a lot more planted and the car has less tendency to understeer

I'm also currently experimenting with different springs on my B8's - f80 Emmanuel Design lowering springs right now and prior to that H&R Sports.

Unfortunately Colorado roads seem to be a bit too bumpy for these set ups with a 6 Cylinder - too much bottoming out, so ZCP f80's might be next.

If anyone is still lurking around this thread I'm wondering if its possible to source a stiffer BMW front sway bar for Xdrive vehicles? I was searching RealOEM and stumbled across a discontinued 27mm bar however I cant find it again maybe it was RWD.... any thoughts are certainly welcome!
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      12-31-2021, 01:36 PM   #156
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328dx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixmastermike View Post

If anyone is still lurking around this thread I'm wondering if its possible to source a stiffer BMW front sway bar for Xdrive vehicles? I was searching RealOEM and stumbled across a discontinued 27mm bar however I cant find it again maybe it was RWD.... any thoughts are certainly welcome!

I have been on a quest myself but can't really find any options other than the H&R springs which seem to be too stiff. This was a great source of info to start looking. Helped me understand some of the differences in the Xdrive front ARB.

The Eibach kit has been somewhat confusing for me. One shop called Eibach-shop had them listed available for the Xdrive but the actual Eibach catalog didn't verify it. The front ARB is for RWD only. Almost got duped on an official looking Eibach store.

I think I've settled on the OEM BMW 15MM bar (part num 33556853476) for the rear. I'm not quite sure about the front. I'm not even sure what the diameter is for my front ARB now on the F31 328d Xdrive (part num 31306869971) It doesn't seem list the diameter anywhere. For the front ARB I'm looking at the European F31 340iX ARB which is one listed on here for the 320iX (part num 31356792138)

Last edited by shiftdnb; 12-31-2021 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 11:32 AM   #157
Tommi_Mav
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: F32 435dx

Garage List
I don't know if this helps, but I found in a Greek forum this table regarding ARB's...

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 08:43 AM   #158
gds
gds
Greece
Rep
Drives: bmw 320i ed 2016

This table is on the first page of this thread (anti roll bar option study)
By the way ,Eibach sway bars are hollow too.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 12:51 PM   #159
Tommi_Mav
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: F32 435dx

Garage List
oops.
Didn't remember it was there...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 03:34 PM   #160
mixmastermike
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdnb View Post
I have been on a quest myself but can't really find any options other than the H&R springs which seem to be too stiff. This was a great source of info to start looking. Helped me understand some of the differences in the Xdrive front ARB.

The Eibach kit has been somewhat confusing for me. One shop called Eibach-shop had them listed available for the Xdrive but the actual Eibach catalog didn't verify it. The front ARB is for RWD only. Almost got duped on an official looking Eibach store.

I think I've settled on the OEM BMW 15MM bar (part num 33556853476) for the rear. I'm not quite sure about the front. I'm not even sure what the diameter is for my front ARB now on the F31 328d Xdrive (part num 31306869971) It doesn't seem list the diameter anywhere. For the front ARB I'm looking at the European F31 340iX ARB which is one listed on here for the 320iX (part num 31356792138)
I noticed that Dinan lists their Sway bars as compatible with the f30 and G20 - this has me wondering if the bars are interchangeable
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 01:51 AM   #161
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I noticed that Dinan lists their Sway bars as compatible with the f30 and G20 - this has me wondering if the bars are interchangeable
Interesting, where are you seeing that? I checked out the Dinan page and their set says it isn't for RWD or Wagons. Wonder why wagons. I checked and I didn't see they had a set for the G20. Are you sure you're not selecting the 20-21 230ix? Those seem to be compatible and is the F22.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 05:36 AM   #162
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

FYI- the US Eibach catalog is limited. The Eibach catalog from Germany lists all of the springs in greater detail. It even provides which front and rear springs are in each kit.

The Tunershop website sells most of the Eibach springs that aren't widely available in the US. Their tech support has been helpful too.

https://www.eibach.de/en/
Tips: look for the English translation choice. Pay close attention to the years, engines, model choices to drill down to the car model that you wish

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 05:55 AM   #163
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have to say this forum is a real treasure.

I studied the information in here and picked up a used 15mm rear sway bar and installed it on my 2016 340i Xdrive - it's really made a big difference to the handling. The rear end feels a lot more planted and the car has less tendency to understeer

I'm also currently experimenting with different springs on my B8's - f80 Emmanuel Design lowering springs right now and prior to that H&R Sports.

Unfortunately Colorado roads seem to be a bit too bumpy for these set ups with a 6 Cylinder - too much bottoming out, so ZCP f80's might be next.

I have a solid 28mm H&R front sway bar on my 2015 335i XDrive. My car corners flat without the typical excessive body roll.

Now I have Eibach (-06) XDrive springs which are about 10% stiffer than stock. It's very important before you start messing with sway bar changes on a car to settle on a spring choice first.

For example H&R and Dinan springs can be about 30% stiffer, which I consider teeth rattling on rough roads with a daily driver. I'd never put stiff springs like that on and then add the 28mm H&R sway bar. That would be excessive.

A common mistake that guys make too is to lower the car but not replace/modify the stock bump stops. The bump stops are a high tech way of cushioning before a damper actually would bottom out. So it's like a secondary damper. Read posts from FaRKle! on this subject.

If a car is lowered but the stock bump stops are left then the car could be prematurely bottoming out on the stock bump stops causing what appears to be a rough ride. A good solution is often to replace the stock bump stops with shorter F80 bump stops. See photo.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      01-14-2022, 11:25 AM   #164
mixmastermike
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I have a solid 28mm H&R front sway bar on my 2015 335i XDrive. My car corners flat without the typical excessive body roll.

Now I have Eibach (-06) XDrive springs which are about 10% stiffer than stock. It's very important before you start messing with sway bar changes on a car to settle on a spring choice first.

For example H&R and Dinan springs can be about 30% stiffer, which I consider teeth rattling on rough roads with a daily driver. I'd never put stiff springs like that one and then add the 28mm H&R sway bar. That would be excessive.

A common mistake that guys make too is to lower the car but not replace/modify the stock bump stops. The bump stops are a high tech way of cushioning before a damper actually would bottom out. So it's like a secondary damper. Read posts from FaRKle! on this subject.

If a car is lowered but the stock bump stops are left then the car could be prematurely bottoming out on the stock bump stops causing what appears to be a rough ride. A good solution is often to replace the stock bump stops with shorter F80 bump stops. See photo.

Hope this helps!
That does help....

Interesting on the H&R front sway bar - I wasn't aware that they made sway bars that were compatible with X-drive? I'll Have to do some research....

I'm currently running B8 Dampers that I really like however curing the front body roll and getting spring rates that work for a DD is the real challenge.

I've followed FaRKle's Posts on F80 Springs on F30 vehicles and I've really enjoyed playing around with the different options. H&R Sports were awful on my 340i - they bottomed out all too often. Then I experimented with some F80 ED springs, these guys are really nice but a little too low and like you say a bit too jarring on uneven surfaces.

I recall that FaRKle went with the Eibach (-06) XDrive springs. Maybe I'll pick some up and give them a try.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 11:31 AM   #165
mixmastermike
Private
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, where are you seeing that? I checked out the Dinan page and their set says it isn't for RWD or Wagons. Wonder why wagons. I checked and I didn't see they had a set for the G20. Are you sure you're not selecting the 20-21 230ix? Those seem to be compatible and is the F22.
My bad, I just rechecked their site. I looked at the production dates listed and didn't confirm the chassis numbers. fug.... finding an upgraded sway bar for the front is really something with Xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 12:59 PM   #166
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
FYI- the US Eibach catalog is limited. The Eibach catalog from Germany lists all of the springs in greater detail. It even provides which front and rear springs are in each kit.

The Tunershop website sells most of the Eibach springs that aren't widely available in the US. Their tech support has been helpful too.

Tips: look for the English translation choice. Pay close attention to the years, engines, model choices to drill down to the car model that you wish

Hope this helps!
Yeah, I know about the Eibach front and rear strut springs. I have the Eibach Pro Kit from Europe for my wagon as they don't sell them in the states. This however is for the sway bars and it looks like their kit only supports the RWD even in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 01:24 PM   #167
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
That does help....

Interesting on the H&R front sway bar - I wasn't aware that they made sway bars that were compatible with X-drive? I'll Have to do some research....

I'm currently running B8 Dampers that I really like however curing the front body roll and getting spring rates that work for a DD is the real challenge.

I've followed FaRKle's Posts on F80 Springs on F30 vehicles and I've really enjoyed playing around with the different options. H&R Sports were awful on my 340i - they bottomed out all too often. Then I experimented with some F80 ED springs, these guys are really nice but a little too low and like you say a bit too jarring on uneven surfaces.

I recall that FaRKle went with the Eibach (-06) XDrive springs. Maybe I'll pick some up and give them a try.
I have the H&R xDrive front sway bar if anyone wants to buy it . It was too stiff for my setup.

The last "conventional" spring setup I settled on before moving to a coilover front and going to higher spring rates was F80 manual trans springs in front, and 650lbs/in springs in the rear (DIY HAS).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
gds4.50
      01-14-2022, 05:48 PM   #168
mixmastermike
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
I have the H&R xDrive front sway bar if anyone wants to buy it . It was too stiff for my setup.

The last "conventional" spring setup I settled on before moving to a coilover front and going to higher spring rates was F80 manual trans springs in front, and 650lbs/in springs in the rear (DIY HAS).
I PM'd you about the sway bar.

Don't suppose that you still have the ZCP manual front springs?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 08:14 PM   #169
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

For example H&R and Dinan springs can be about 30% stiffer, which I consider teeth rattling on rough roads with a daily driver. I'd never put stiff springs like that one and then add the 28mm H&R sway bar. That would be excessive.

Hope this helps!
That does help....

Actually another choice is the European Eibach Xdrive spring kit. The US kit E10-20-031-06-22 typically lowers Front 0.8"/Rear 0.6".

The European kit E10-20-031-05-22 uses front springs with the same spring rate but it lowers about 1.2"-1.3", and the rear springs are the same 0.6" drop.

Make sure to use the shorter F80 bump stops

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 4
      01-18-2022, 06:32 AM   #170
gds
gds
Greece
Rep

Quote:

I am very interested in what coilovers are you on...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 08:38 AM   #171
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps!
Yeah, I know about the Eibach front and rear strut springs. I have the Eibach Pro Kit from Europe for my wagon as they don't sell them in the states. This however is for the sway bars and it looks like their kit only supports the RWD even in Europe.
FYI- the H&R part number for their 28mm front sway bar is 70878-3. Many US retailers sell it.

There are a few different reasons why manufacturers don't make XDrive front sway bars. For example KC Designs in Taiwan said that XDrives aren't sold in Taiwan so they can't obtain a test vehicle to fit/develop an xDrive bar.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 10:54 AM   #172
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds View Post
I am very interested in what coilovers are you on...
The "body" of my coilovers are a Bilstein B14 kit, but the internals have been completely changed (piston, shim stack, added blow off valve) by Fat Cat Motorsports. For the springs I'm using a KW 265lbs/in spring in front and 900lbs/in spring in the rear (my DIY HAS method).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 2
shiftdnb376.50
gds4.50
      01-20-2022, 03:11 AM   #173
gds
gds
Greece
Rep

Quote:
The "body" of my coilovers are a Bilstein B14 kit, but the internals have been completely changed (piston, shim stack, added blow off valve) by Fat Cat Motorsports. For the springs I'm using a KW 265lbs/in spring in front and 900lbs/in spring in the rear (my DIY HAS method).
Thanks for the response, I appreciate all the useful info/experiences you are sharing with us. Blow off valve in a b8!! Sounds impressive. Are the spring rates ok for daily driving?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 11:53 AM   #174
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds View Post
Thanks for the response, I appreciate all the useful info/experiences you are sharing with us. Blow off valve in a b8!! Sounds impressive. Are the spring rates ok for daily driving?
The spring rates are just fine for daily driving. Despite my F31 having higher spring rates and ride frequencies than my M2C (on stock springs/dampers), it's a lot more comfortable due to the more ideal damping curves.

Appreciate 1
johnung4526.50
      01-20-2022, 12:40 PM   #175
gds
gds
Greece
Rep

Quote:
The spring rates are just fine for daily driving. Despite my F31 having higher spring rates and ride frequencies than my M2C (on stock springs/dampers), it's a lot more comfortable due to the more ideal damping curves.
Understood. Finally, the quality of the dampers makes all the difference. I am sure Shaikh has done a great job . My indie mechanic says that he(Shaikh) is the only one he trusts. The major problem is that we are on the other side of the Atlantic...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 06:05 PM   #176
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

Anyone on b14 coilovers paired with eibach sways?
Thinking of pulling the trigger on some Eibach based on them being a little more compliant on bumps etc.
Appreciate 0