F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Steering Wheel Click at Low Speeds
Extreme Powerhouse

07-10-2017, 05:47 PM   #1
aban
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive Sport Line

Steering Wheel Click at Low Speeds

I have a 2014 328xi, and a couple days ago I noticed that at low speeds when turning the wheel there is an audible click noise as the wheel passes the center position. I can't seem to see any plastic pieces or anything that would be making this noise (at least from my cursory external inspection).

Has anyone had a similar issue or have any suggestions for what it might be?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Are you under warranty? I'd have an SA take a look at it.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 07:02 PM   #3
Redpit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xdrive

Sounds like the most likely suspect is a clock spring to me. Check out YouTube for examples of the sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 01:42 AM   #4
aban
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive Sport Line

I am still under warranty, but the SA at my local dealership has been less than accommodating with other issues in the past that they deem to not be "safety related".

I think I will end up taking it in, but just wanted to see if it was something simple to save time.

I watched a couple videos on youtube showing the clock spring noise and mine is quite a bit different from that sound, pretty much a short individual click every 180-ish degrees rather than the squeek/grind noise that the clock spring videos showed.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 04:33 AM   #5
Aaroona
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aban View Post
I am still under warranty, but the SA at my local dealership has been less than accommodating with other issues in the past that they deem to not be "safety related".

I think I will end up taking it in, but just wanted to see if it was something simple to save time.

I watched a couple videos on youtube showing the clock spring noise and mine is quite a bit different from that sound, pretty much a short individual click every 180-ish degrees rather than the squeek/grind noise that the clock spring videos showed.
Is it by chance this type of sound?
Appreciate 0