F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Stupid idea to swap my lease?
Studio RSR

06-25-2018, 07:57 PM   #23
SoFlo3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantdieselx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlo3 View Post
Fair point, I should stick it out and reassess my options at lease-end.

I just used to lust over the 340i with my last F30, and I found myself doing it again this time around, although I do still love my car.

Thanks for the insight!
I've been in your shoes. Leased a 13' 328i and regretted every minute of it. In the end I stuck it out for 30 months. I was able to use the pull ahead program along with payment incentives to get out of it 6 months early. I made damn sure I got the car I wanted this time. Financially I couldn't justify the kind of hit I would have taken getting rid of it.

I did tune it which made the car more enjoyable but and helped to alleviate my buyers remorse though. I say go with a JB+ or Dinan and see what you think. They're both pretty cheap so if you change your mind you can sell it and get some of your money back. Good luck.
Yup, I'm definitely gonna use pull-ahead to my advantage next time around and get myself into something a little more exciting.

Still loving my car in the mean time
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 08:57 PM   #24
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
I've been in your shoes. Leased a 13' 328i and regretted every minute of it. In the end I stuck it out for 30 months. I was able to use the pull ahead program along with payment incentives to get out of it 6 months early. I made damn sure I got the car I wanted this time. Financially I couldn't justify the kind of hit I would have taken getting rid of it.

I did tune it which made the car more enjoyable but and helped to alleviate my buyers remorse though. I say go with a JB+ or Dinan and see what you think. They're both pretty cheap so if you change your mind you can sell it and get some of your money back. Good luck.
I had a '13 328i but I actually loved it! That being said, why didn't you just do a lease swap?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 10:40 PM   #25
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I had a '13 328i but I actually loved it! That being said, why didn't you just do a lease swap?
maybe you had a 6MT sport package with PSS and he had the non sport 8AT with base suspension and all seasons RFT

Might as well be 2 different cars
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 11:16 PM   #26
SoFlo3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Quote:
maybe you had a 6MT sport package with PSS and he had the non sport 8AT with base suspension and all seasons RFT

My last F30 was '15 6MT w Sport package and it was a lot of fun for what it was.

Now I'm in an automatic and it suits me better for the driving I have to do, but it's not as fun obviously. Paddles help though.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 11:35 PM   #27
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post

I had a ZF8 with Sport Package (non-M Sport) on RFTs. I didn't get it to go fast though, it was purely a commuter, and it did a pretty decent job at it. I've posted before how the 330i loaner I got was lightly disappointing considering how much I thought the 328i was a good commuter. Torque on the N20 comes a hair sooner, but maybe it's just my rose colored nostalgia glasses and maybe the loaner was a base model with base suspension.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 01:21 AM   #28
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

aI didn't read the whole thread, but you have a few options...

(1) you can try to throw the car on swapalease or lease trader or something and see if someone will assume the lease. BMW is very lenient with this and makes it pretty painless. I don't know what kind of deal you got on the 330 but if it is a really good deal, this might be possible. If you just got some run of the mill deal, it prob won't be very enticing to anyone except they wouldn't have to eat the drive-off fees that you did when you got the car. I understand buyer's remorse with a car, I've been there but lets move to option 2 because I think you are overblowing this a little...

(2) keep the car and throw a JB+ or JB4 tune on it. Problem solved. I am going on my 2nd year in my 328i M sport with JB+ and I love the car. The JB+ puts it very close to 335i stock power, its lighter weight and gets 35-37MPG highway. I have spent some seat time in a friends 340i and I walked away rather underwhelmed. I thought it felt heavy, not much more powerful than my car and basically exact the same platform - an F30 with the same interior and the same annoying buzzes and rattles. People go on and on about the turbo 6 cyl engine but its honestly so quiet, its hard to even tell unless you are at WOT. Yes, its a better car. I just don't think its that much better.

These cars are more how you option them in my opinion. Suspension, trim, options, tech, etc. I know there are guys on there who think there is some miraculous difference between the turbo 4 and the turbo 6, but there just isn't. Yes, you can tune a 340 as well. Yes its faster. This is obvious. The 340 comes with more standard features. Its also like, what are you looking for? More fun? I guarantee a 228i with a 6 speed manual and sport suspension will be more fun than any 340i, ever. Its a smaller, more tossable car, its lighter weight with a shorter wheel base and the turbo 4, especially tuned is a little rocket.

Perspective.

end of the day, the 340 will be a faster car that looks and feels exactly the same, except its heavier, gets worse MPG and costs more to drive and insure. And low $400's per month? Doubtful. Lets call it $500 and change, plus whatever you eat to get out of the 330. If you want to be aggressive about getting out of the 330 you will need to put up cash incentive to get someone to assume the lease. then you'll be back where you started and will have to drop another $1500-2000 to get into another F30 BMW, a 340i, with a higher payment and then you'll probably feel buyers remorse about that because its just an F30 with a bigger engine.

My 2 cents, keep the 330 and make it the best it can be.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1

Last edited by Kafkaesque328; 06-26-2018 at 01:26 AM..
Appreciate 2
      06-26-2018, 01:14 PM   #29
kalien34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e CB M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post

(2) keep the car and throw a JB+ or JB4 tune on it. Problem solved. I am going on my 2nd year in my 328i M sport with JB+ and I love the car. The JB+ puts it very close to 335i stock power
Surprised to see this comment. I am leasing a 430 GC and had similar buyer's remorse. I also have the JB+ installed but I've never test driven a 440 so can't compare. What I can tell is that I am already very much used to the power even with the JB+, and I drive it in Sport mode basically always.
With the JB+ is it really that close to the i6 engine already??
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 04:00 PM   #30
TCZ4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Convertible

I'll be honest, I was/am in the same boat as you. I bought a CPO 428i recently and almost instantly wished I had just paid a few grand more and bought a CPO 435i. Even tried to swap it out a few days later, but dealer paperwork was done and couldn't be reversed. That being said with an MPE and JB+, I'm much happier with my car now, as I've got a little more of the sound I wanted and the additional power to fill in the power difference between the two. I also test drove the new 440i at the recent BMW performance driving event in SF and didn't think there was a huge difference in feel to justify taking a substantial hit on equity. The new X3 M40i however, man I think that is way more fun than the 340i/440i. The torque in that car is insane for a crossover suv. I'm satisfied enough, and will most likely upgrade in a few years to an M3 or an X3 M and just "skip" the 340i when I want a slightly bigger car.
      06-26-2018, 04:06 PM   #31
SoFlo3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCZ4 View Post
I'll be honest, I was/am in the same boat as you. I bought a CPO 428i recently and almost instantly wished I had just paid a few grand more and bought a CPO 435i. Even tried to swap it out a few days later, but dealer paperwork was done and couldn't be reversed. That being said with an MPE and JB+, I'm much happier with my car now, as I've got a little more of the sound I wanted and the additional power to fill in the power difference between the two. I also test drove the new 440i at the recent BMW performance driving event in SF and didn't think there was a huge difference in feel to justify taking a substantial hit on equity. The new X3 M40i however, man I think that is way more fun than the 340i/440i. The torque in that car is insane for a crossover suv. I'm satisfied enough, and will most likely upgrade in a few years to an M3 or an X3 M and just "skip" the 340i when I want a slightly bigger car.
Thanks for your insight as well! I've always been curious on the JB4 but am hesitant as it's a lease. Would rather avoid headache while servicing the car/returning.

But now that I have you, how has your CPO experience been? I'm considering going that route at the end of this current lease. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 04:12 PM   #32
SoFlo3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
aI didn't read the whole thread, but you have a few options...

(1) you can try to throw the car on swapalease or lease trader or something and see if someone will assume the lease. BMW is very lenient with this and makes it pretty painless. I don't know what kind of deal you got on the 330 but if it is a really good deal, this might be possible. If you just got some run of the mill deal, it prob won't be very enticing to anyone except they wouldn't have to eat the drive-off fees that you did when you got the car. I understand buyer's remorse with a car, I've been there but lets move to option 2 because I think you are overblowing this a little...

(2) keep the car and throw a JB+ or JB4 tune on it. Problem solved. I am going on my 2nd year in my 328i M sport with JB+ and I love the car. The JB+ puts it very close to 335i stock power, its lighter weight and gets 35-37MPG highway. I have spent some seat time in a friends 340i and I walked away rather underwhelmed. I thought it felt heavy, not much more powerful than my car and basically exact the same platform - an F30 with the same interior and the same annoying buzzes and rattles. People go on and on about the turbo 6 cyl engine but its honestly so quiet, its hard to even tell unless you are at WOT. Yes, its a better car. I just don't think its that much better.

These cars are more how you option them in my opinion. Suspension, trim, options, tech, etc. I know there are guys on there who think there is some miraculous difference between the turbo 4 and the turbo 6, but there just isn't. Yes, you can tune a 340 as well. Yes its faster. This is obvious. The 340 comes with more standard features. Its also like, what are you looking for? More fun? I guarantee a 228i with a 6 speed manual and sport suspension will be more fun than any 340i, ever. Its a smaller, more tossable car, its lighter weight with a shorter wheel base and the turbo 4, especially tuned is a little rocket.

Perspective.

end of the day, the 340 will be a faster car that looks and feels exactly the same, except its heavier, gets worse MPG and costs more to drive and insure. And low $400's per month? Doubtful. Lets call it $500 and change, plus whatever you eat to get out of the 330. If you want to be aggressive about getting out of the 330 you will need to put up cash incentive to get someone to assume the lease. then you'll be back where you started and will have to drop another $1500-2000 to get into another F30 BMW, a 340i, with a higher payment and then you'll probably feel buyers remorse about that because its just an F30 with a bigger engine.

My 2 cents, keep the 330 and make it the best it can be.
In regards to lease swapping, I put $0 down and pay $410/month. So for my market, South FL, I think this is an attractive enough lease for someone to assume.

I'm going to put more research into a JB4. I l feel bad now seeing the "remorse" word thrown around so much!

I'm really happy to be in another BMW for the next 3 years, and my car does everything I need it to do. The extra speed won't hurt, just wanna be sure my dealer won't pester me about a tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 04:19 PM   #33
TCZ4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Convertible

Quote:
Thanks for your insight as well! I've always been curious on the JB4 but am hesitant as it's a lease. Would rather avoid headache while servicing the car/returning.

But now that I have you, how has your CPO experience been? I'm considering going that route at the end of this current lease. Thanks!
I went with the JB+ because of the ease of installation/removal if I ever need to take it in for servicing. I would simply remove it if I ever needed to bring it in for warranty work. The main reason I chose not to go with a JB4 (well that and I don't plan to mod it beyond the MPE, and maybe an intake). Not planning to do a DP or anything like that. Honestly at $200, and as conservative as a "tune" it is, I wouldn't worry on a leased car. It's one simple plug. If you can plug in a socket into the wall, you can install a JB+. Haven't had a need to take in my car for any service yet, so can't say I've had good or bad experience on that front.
      06-26-2018, 04:29 PM   #34
SoFlo3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I went with the JB+ because of the ease of installation/removal if I ever need to take it in for servicing. I would simply remove it if I ever needed to bring it in for warranty work. The main reason I chose not to go with a JB4 (well that and I don't plan to mod it beyond the MPE, and maybe an intake). Not planning to do a DP or anything like that. Honestly at $200, and as conservative as a "tune" it is, I wouldn't worry on a leased car. It's one simple plug. If you can plug in a socket into the wall, you can install a JB+. Haven't had a need to take in my car for any service yet, so can't say I've had good or bad experience on that front.
Ok, so my knowledge on these tunes is obviously dated. I wasn't aware of a "JB+" and definitely didnt know it was only $200. I'm gonna do more research on that front.

In regards to CPO, I guess I just worry because I'm so used to signing receipts for $0.00 at the dealer...having less of a warranty scares me.

But something tells me 3 years from now I'm gonna want a fully loaded F30 340i
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 07:13 PM   #35
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalien34 View Post
Surprised to see this comment. I am leasing a 430 GC and had similar buyer's remorse. I also have the JB+ installed but I've never test driven a 440 so can't compare. What I can tell is that I am already very much used to the power even with the JB+, and I drive it in Sport mode basically always.
With the JB+ is it really that close to the i6 engine already??
Yes. 258HP/303TQ at the wheels shown on this dyno. That is Pretty damn close. Again, you can tun a 335/340 as well but what Im saying is the gap isn't THAT major.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 07:46 PM   #36
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Quote:

Mine was xDrive and between the Lexus suspension and diesel clatter from the N20 it was night and day from the E92 I had prior. I also got taken to the cleaners by not doing my homework prior to leasing. Let say no one was biting on a $650+ tax lease payment for a 328.

Even with a hefty incentive I couldn't get out of it with getting forking over a bunch of cash. So I just decided to keep it and drive it. Sucks to lust after other cars when you know your stuck in one you can't get out of. Hey but it's my mistake and I just had to ride it out.

I have a 16' M235i which has been hands down the best BMW I've ever owned. My lease is up next March and for once I'm really torn. It's got low miles, it's mint, I special ordered it so it's exactly what I wanted but I find myself longing for an M3.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 08:04 PM   #37
SoFlo3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mine was xDrive and between the Lexus suspension and diesel clatter from the N20 it was night and day from the E92 I had prior. I also got taken to the cleaners by not doing my homework prior to leasing. Let say no one was biting on a $650+ tax lease payment for a 328.

Even with a hefty incentive I couldn't get out of it with getting forking over a bunch of cash. So I just decided to keep it and drive it. Sucks to lust after other cars when you know your stuck in one you can't get out of. Hey but it's my mistake and I just had to ride it out.

I have a 16' M235i which has been hands down the best BMW I've ever owned. My lease is up next March and for once I'm really torn. It's got low miles, it's mint, I special ordered it so it's exactly what I wanted but I find myself longing for an M3.
wow they sure made their money on that 328!

At least you're in a better car now and if you're considering the M3...DO IT. I'll live vicariously through you :
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 09:31 PM   #38
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's the progression. Don't fool yourselves into thinking you're going to be satisfied with a 240 or 340i or whatever. It'll scratch the itch for about 3-6 months or so, but then you'll be constantly day dreaming about an M-car or rough equivalent. It's the slippery slope that most of us are on.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 11:18 PM   #39
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When I bring the car in for regular service, I leave it on. Otherwise, you can remove it in like 3 minutes and reinstall in the same amount of time. Reliable and significant power bump - pretty drastic form stock. I wasn't interested in DP or anything like that either. I like the OEM feel and quietness with the added power. No detriment to MPG that I can see.

I don't really know what it is but I don't really care about the M cars. I mean, sure, it would be cool, although if I was into M3 money, I would be looking at Porsche, not a BMW. But anyway, I am pretty happy with the 328 and JB+. But I agree with what others said that it is potentially a slippery slope, but it doesn't have to be. And I realize I am blatantly stereotyping here, but it is extremely rare that I see someone in an M3 that is not driving like a complete and total dickhead. Riding everyone's ass, driving aggressively, weaving in and out of traffic, usually some punk ass mid 20's Aremnian guy in an Adidas track suit.. Its just kind of an asshole car. Too bad the asshole's taint the car, but at least around these parts, I don't think you can roll in an M3 without being a complete douchebag. No offense to M3 owners, I am sure there some out there that aren't as I describe and literally witness on a daily basis.

Its kind of like, ofcourse an m3 would be better than a 3 series... It better be for like $35,000 more!

Last edited by Kafkaesque328; 06-26-2018 at 11:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 03:01 AM   #40
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
When I bring the car in for regular service, I leave it on. Otherwise, you can remove it in like 3 minutes and reinstall in the same amount of time. Reliable and significant power bump - pretty drastic form stock. I wasn't interested in DP or anything like that either. I like the OEM feel and quietness with the added power. No detriment to MPG that I can see.

I don't really know what it is but I don't really care about the M cars. I mean, sure, it would be cool, although if I was into M3 money, I would be looking at Porsche, not a BMW. But anyway, I am pretty happy with the 328 and JB+. But I agree with what others said that it is potentially a slippery slope, but it doesn't have to be. And I realize I am blatantly stereotyping here, but it is extremely rare that I see someone in an M3 that is not driving like a complete and total dickhead. Riding everyone's ass, driving aggressively, weaving in and out of traffic, usually some punk ass mid 20's Aremnian guy in an Adidas track suit.. Its just kind of an asshole car. Too bad the asshole's taint the car, but at least around these parts, I don't think you can roll in an M3 without being a complete douchebag. No offense to M3 owners, I am sure there some out there that aren't as I describe and literally witness on a daily basis.

Its kind of like, ofcourse an m3 would be better than a 3 series... It better be for like $35,000 more!
I drive an F80. Admittedly, it is much harder to go at a slow pace because the car wants to go fast and it handles dramatically better than an F30 but my driving habits haven't changed much from when I drove a 328i or a 340i. I don't tailgate and I don't act a fool.

M3's range from $65k-$90k. A 911 starts at $90k. The leases on an M3/4 are much more attractive (inflated residual = less depreciation) than a 911 or Cayman They aren't even in the same class. I'm not Armenian, and I'm certainly not in my 20's anymore. It's funny that other M3/4 drivers don't act up and rev and try to instigate a "race" on the highways, but young 335i and 340i drivers do, especially modified E90 drivers. The aggressive ones have something to prove.

Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      06-27-2018, 08:15 AM   #41
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:

The allure with the m3/4 is that it offers high performance with the practicality you get from a sedan or large coupe. In order to get this from a comparably optioned Porsche (comparing new or similarly used), you'll need to spend much more than you will for an m3. I believe maintenance and repair/running costs are also that much more.

It's funny, but I can't remember ever seeing an m-car around here being driven douchey or aggressively. Actually, what I find interesting is that almost every m car I've seen around here seemed to be driving very conservatively. In fact, the same can be said for most high end performance cars I see in this area. Instead, most asshole drivers I see around here are typically in a garden variety cross-over or suv. I've also seen some mustangs and Dodge Challengers driving like asshats, drag racing on busy public roads, honking for other motorists to move out of the way etc. Anyway, that's just what I've witnessed here in the northeast.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 02:54 PM   #42
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
The allure with the m3/4 is that it offers high performance with the practicality you get from a sedan or large coupe. In order to get this from a comparably optioned Porsche (comparing new or similarly used), you'll need to spend much more than you will for an m3. I believe maintenance and repair/running costs are also that much more.

It's funny, but I can't remember ever seeing an m-car around here being driven douchey or aggressively. Actually, what I find interesting is that almost every m car I've seen around here seemed to be driving very conservatively. In fact, the same can be said for most high end performance cars I see in this area. Instead, most asshole drivers I see around here are typically in a garden variety cross-over or suv. I've also seen some mustangs and Dodge Challengers driving like asshats, drag racing on busy public roads, honking for other motorists to move out of the way etc. Anyway, that's just what I've witnessed here in the northeast.
Cuz you're in MA. I am in Glendale CA. A-hole Armenian driver capital of the world and the M3 or M4 is the car of choice.

You guys' comments re: the Porsche noted though, I had no idea there was such a price gap. Porsche are just crazy expensive

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 04:04 PM   #43
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Cuz you're in MA. I am in Glendale CA. A-hole Armenian driver capital of the world and the M3 or M4 is the car of choice.

You guys' comments re: the Porsche noted though, I had no idea there was such a price gap. Porsche are just crazy expensive
Well if your in a large Armenian community then your going to notice more Armenian a-holes. Just like if I'm in a largely white community I'm going to notice more white a-holes.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 06:18 PM   #44
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

wow they sure made their money on that 328!

At least you're in a better car now and if you're considering the M3...DO IT. I'll live vicariously through you :
Lol!! Believe me I'm tempted. Stalking Autotrader every night lol.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0