F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Fully tuned F36 gave Eco Pro a purpose
ARMA SPEED

04-08-2021, 09:32 PM   #1
Juice247
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW 440xi Gran Coupe

Fully tuned F36 gave Eco Pro a purpose

I finally completed all my planned upgrades for my F36 just a few days ago.

MPPSK Exhaust
AA Catted DP
Dinan CAI
TU HPFP
BM3 Stage 2+
XHP

My previous F36 only had MPPSK with the factory tune, and I drove it in Sport/+ all the time. I'd rev it to get the exhaust to open up and wake up all the horses just about every time I got in the car. It was quieter in Comfort, but in sport, it really wasn't all that loud.

Now, with my new F36 with the full exhaust and tune, the power is ferocious! The car absolutely rips and the exhaust sounds like a true racer! It's absolutely intoxicating to open her up! However, the whole allure of the MPPSK originally was the Dr. Jekyll & Mr Hyde switch. Put it in sport +, it opens up, put it in comfort and it's stealthy. Now with the full exhaust/dp and the tune, this difference is FAR more pronounced! Even in comfort, if I get into the revs, the flaps open and she screams away. In Eco Pro, the revs never get up there and she's stealthy quiet. I find myself leaving the house in Eco Pro, then once I'm out of the neighborhood, I flip the switch and let her rip!

I never in a million years, thought I'd use Eco Pro. Comfort was always quiet enough, but now, Eco Pro exists for a reason. To top this all off, I thought I'd check my MPG on the highway. Under significant restraint, while driving the speed limit of 70 on my Michigan trip, I eeked out 38 MPG! Way better than I ever got on my stock or MPPSK car!

Trust me, this car will never see 38 MPG ever again, but to have such an increase in performance AND get that kind of mileage blew my mind.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-09-2021, 02:17 AM   #2
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

I actually use EcoPro more often than I thought I would. When I cruise on long trips, where there is simply no way or no point of driving dynamically, when we have our pet with us in the car (which really dislikes travelling, even more - noise).... I don't care about the fuel economy, but since I am anyway driving like an 80-year old... why not get that as a bonus. Besides that, once you get used to EcoPro for some hundred km, switching back to Comfort gives you the same feeling as switching from Comfort to Sport Suddenly in Comfort you are driving a sports car
      04-09-2021, 06:30 AM   #3
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

Holy crap my bmw has Eco Pro mode?
      04-09-2021, 09:29 AM   #4
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
I actually use EcoPro more often than I thought I would. When I cruise on long trips, where there is simply no way or no point of driving dynamically...
Same here. When I'm faced with hundreds of miles of arrow-straight, flat highway which is heavily patrolled by law enforcement, Eco-Pro has it's uses.

The only caveat is the outside temperature. If temps are over about 80F I can't use Eco-Pro because the car gets too hot with the A/C only working at half strength.
      04-09-2021, 09:41 AM   #5
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by f32spaceship View Post
I used Eco Mode a couple of times, I hated the pedal feel, the lack of power and pretty much everything about it. Then the stupid start stop engaged...

I might use it (maybe) when I do very long trips of more than 2 hours on the highway.

Maybe it might work better with Stage 2 tune??? Is it being remapped?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 09:52 AM   #6
jnj2455
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i 6MT/RWD/MPPSK/2VF

Am I the only one who likes the stop/starts? I see no point in idling the car when I'm just sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. Of course there comes a point in stop/go where cycling the engine repeatedly as I inch forward can't be good for the car.

It is a bit weird in a manual though. One time I released the clutch too quickly as the engine refired up and caused it to unnecessarily bog.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 10:17 AM   #7
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnj2455 View Post
Am I the only one who likes the stop/starts? I see no point in idling the car when I'm just sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. Of course there comes a point in stop/go where cycling the engine repeatedly as I inch forward can't be good for the car.

It is a bit weird in a manual though. One time I released the clutch too quickly as the engine refired up and caused it to unnecessarily bog.

I don't mind it at all. The least intrusive Start/Stop I have ever driven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frchdragon View Post
Quote:
I used Eco Mode a couple of times, I hated the pedal feel, the lack of power and pretty much everything about it. Then the stupid start stop engaged...

I might use it (maybe) when I do very long trips of more than 2 hours on the highway.

Maybe it might work better with Stage 2 tune??? Is it being remapped?
No it is not.
And you get used to it pretty quickly if what you want is to just cruise on a long haul! If not - EcoPro is not the right mode to be in to start with. But there is nothing wrong with it. I like the coasting function which you don't get in Comfort.
      04-09-2021, 10:19 AM   #8
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:
It also has turn signals!
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2021, 12:46 PM   #9
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
Quote:
It also has turn signals!
:
      04-09-2021, 01:10 PM   #10
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnj2455 View Post
Am I the only one who likes the stop/starts?
Possibly!

I've tried it a total of one time since I bought the car and that was because I accidentally turned it on while wiping down the interior. Hated it, and have left it off ever since.

I also have a manual, which might make a difference. It could be implemented better on an auto.
      04-09-2021, 03:53 PM   #11
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

There is no one will ever convince me to drive in eco pro. I didn't bought this car for eco friendly purpose.

If your concern about police. Then just shift up before the car gets loud.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 10:22 AM   #12
Juice247
Private First Class
Rep

I never used Eco Pro mostly because MPPSK alone isn't that loud in sport anyways. With the cat & the exhaust & the flaps open, it's super loud leaving the house at 7am. It's not the police I'm concerned with, it's annoying as hell for my neighbors. A few blocks out, and it's back in Sport so she can breathe.

Pedal feel in Eco is terrible though, no doubt about it!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 03:08 PM   #13
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Nice list of mods you got. What do you think your HP and TQ are? Ever run the 1/4 or 1/8th?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 01:27 PM   #14
Juice247
Private First Class
Rep

My next step is to book a dyno and a tune at a shop around Chicago. If anyone has any recommendations for a shop that works with BM3 and x-drive. According to other people's results I should be around 440whp/500+tq on pump gas. Might want to wait for flex fuel support before I finalize the tune.

The hardest part by far is effectively putting that power on the ground.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 01:58 PM   #15
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Since you already went offtopic - may I ask how many km / miles do you have in this "fully tuned" state, how hard you push it and whether you regret any of the decisions...?

Bottom-line - I am still hesitant whether it is worth going for a third party tune in the long run... (currently MPPSK + catted DP)! I am planning to keep the vehicle longer. The last thing I want ever is an engine failure... or gearbox failure. (I know - you pay to play, but just interested in specific long-term experiences). I am not going to be pushing it hard often, neither to be tracking it.
      04-11-2021, 02:42 PM   #16
Juice247
Private First Class
Rep

I've had it fully tuned for about 700 miles,and in various stages up to this for about 1000 miles before this. Had my last car with MPPSK only for 25k miles.

The jump from MPPSK to BM3 Stage 1 is enormous. The subsequent jump to stage 2+ is not quite as significant until you get it over 80 mph. I find myself well over 100mph with just the slightest push. Where it took forever to get MPPSK to 130mph, this tune gets there before you realize you're going that fast. It's louder, more raw, and very dramatic.

With that said, I don't like the burbles as much. They're way too loud for my taste, and even on a low aggression setting, they're a bit too "boy racer" for a daily driver street car. There's also far more power than grip down low, so I dialed the boost back 20% in 1st and 10% in 2nd in an effort to save some rubber. The stage 2+ OTS tune still needs some refinement.

I absolutely love the sound in sport with the valves open. It just rips with the sound of true aggression. In comfort/eco pro, the car is quiet and subdued as it should be.

Stage 2+ really starts to show off some of the weaknesses of the f36's chassis/suspension. Where I didn't feel this was the case with my last car (standard suspension, 18" go flats) and MPPSK. Even the adaptive suspension is a bit too soft to keep the car planted during higher speed maneuvers.

All in all, would I do it again? Hells yes. The only thing I miss is a 6MT, but it's not an option on the F36, and I need the room for work and family. When the flex fuel option comes around, I'll be done with power and sound upgrades. Now to get the chassis sorted.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 03:01 PM   #17
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

I sincerely hope and wish you to be able to repeat the same satisfaction in 7000 miles and in 70000