F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Resetting Transmission Adaptation?
proTUNING Freaks

10-10-2015, 12:57 PM   #1
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Resetting Transmission Adaptation?

Hi all-
I've been researching this a bit, and can't find a clear answer...at least for F30 with 8AT. Is there a way to rest the adaptation myself?

Recently got the car back from service where they fixed a few things, including loose trim, etc. I also had them check for cold startup "lag". In the first few minutes of driving, when I pull away from a stop, it feels like nothing happens for the first 1/4 inch or so of pedal travel...then the car accelerates. This does not happen when the car is fully warm. It's kind of annoying, so had them look at it.

After having a couple people drive it over 3 different mornings (including shop foreman), they are basically saying nothing is wrong. He did say he reset the adaptation, as sometimes this helps "smoothness" of shifting. This is actually the 3rd time I've had this dealer shop tell me they reset the adaptation. The first 2 times were for a lag in between shifts, very noticeable in lower gears (slower speeds). After adaptation reset, it would be OK, but eventually would lag in between up-shifts again.

After 2nd trip for the shift lag issue in spring of 2015, they agreed it wasn't right, and replaced the mechatronic (basically, the heart of the transmission). I've not had any shift lag since this time. It's very crisp now.

Back to current cold start lag issue...after the dealer "reset the adaptation", the accelerator lag is a bit better. Plus, although I can't explain it real well, the car overall just feels more responsive.

I read thru a few other threads, including this one: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ght=adaptation
...and have tried a couple different variations of the process where you turn on the car (without starting), and press accelerator to the floor for 30-40 seconds, but this doesn't appear to do anything. No beeps, clicks or anything, and the car seems the same.

I asked the SA, he said he talked to the shop foreman, and they know of no way for customer to do it themselves. Has to be done thru their computer talking to the DME. He said he would do it for me at no charge whenever I ask. Nice, but taking all the time to make appointment, drive there, etc...is a pain.

I'd like to periodically reset it myself. Anyone know how?

FYI, here's BMW's explanation of ATM: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ans_management

BTW, I wish I woulda waited for a manual.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 03:10 PM   #2
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

The search function is your friend

This should do the trick...

* Press the start button once to turn on power (Don't start the engine)
* Press the accelerator down to the floor for at least 5 sec.
* Hit start button once to turn off power
* Remove foot from accelerator
* Wait for min. 2 minutes
* Start the engine and drive
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 05:32 PM   #3
otay
Major
United_States
Rep

Thx. Does it beep or anything? Didn't try this exact combination, but will do so soonest and report back...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
otay
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
The search function is your friend

This should do the trick...

* Press the start button once to turn on power (Don't start the engine)
* Press the accelerator down to the floor for at least 5 sec.
* Hit start button once to turn off power
* Remove foot from accelerator
* Wait for min. 2 minutes
* Start the engine and drive
Did this exact thing, no difference that I can tell. No clicks, beep or anything and drives the same.

I've searched multiple forums, and some say it works and some say nonsense. Also, everything I've found has been prior to F30.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 12:39 PM   #5
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

I notice a very distinct difference in immediate torque and faster shifting every time I do the transmission reset, which I do about every two weeks or whenever I sense a laggy transmission response.
haagm58809.50
      10-12-2015, 05:21 PM   #6
otay
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwi54 View Post
I notice a very distinct difference in immediate torque and faster shifting every time I do the transmission reset, which I do about every two weeks or whenever I sense a laggy transmission response.
Thx. Do you do it same way as above? Does anything happen immediately after reset procedure?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 07:32 PM   #7
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwi54 View Post
Thx. Do you do it same way as above? Does anything happen immediately after reset procedure?
Yes, except I hold the gas pedal down for 30 seconds. I do notice an immediate difference.
      10-13-2015, 12:38 AM   #8
stanleyy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 328i xDrive

guys, you can use the chinese tool "BMWAI coder" to do that..
http://cartechnology.co.uk/showthrea...ighlight=bmwai

it will even show you all the adaptation parameters! It is an excellent coding tool and in most cases it can completely replace Esys for simple coding tasks (and FSC Map code calculation

All you need is a cheap ENET coding cable. Give it a try...
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2015, 07:06 PM   #9
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyy View Post
guys, you can use the chinese tool "BMWAI coder" to do that..
http://cartechnology.co.uk/showthrea...ighlight=bmwai

it will even show you all the adaptation parameters! It is an excellent coding tool and in most cases it can completely replace Esys for simple coding tasks (and FSC Map code calculation

All you need is a cheap ENET coding cable. Give it a try...
That site made my head hurt.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2015, 10:57 PM   #10
shadowyman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AY F82 MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post
Totally agree!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 11:03 PM   #11
stanleyy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post
why? too much interesting stuff to read?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 03:53 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post
Did this exact thing, no difference that I can tell. No clicks, beep or anything and drives the same.

I've searched multiple forums, and some say it works and some say nonsense. Also, everything I've found has been prior to F30.
I understand the reset procedure is for the throttle adaptations. The fact manual transmission users also use this procedure to get a more responsive throttle and say it works, indicate this is the case.

Have just been reading an article in the UK's BMWCar magazine on buying a used F13 640d. Under the Transmission and Drivetrain heading it mentions the hesitation and jerky low speed changes, evident in some examples. Goes on to say it is most likely the throttle adaptions, as the self-learning program works with the gearbox to learn you personal driving traits. Suggests the reset, (describes the procedure) and then states waiting a couple of minutes before going for a drive.

Personally my example of N55 and ZF 8-speed combination has no such issues, has not deteriorated in 3-years of driving. Certainly adapts to driving conditions, but change the driving style and I get back to square one.

Same with my previous E91 330d auto, consistent over 6-years of use. I tried the throttle adaption procedure, but it never changed how the 330d gearbox worked.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 05:15 AM   #13
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I did the reset after reading the beginning of this thread and it did make a significant difference. I think it wouldn't have last year at this time, but over the last 8 months my commute has changed significantly 4 times (work hours changed twice and my route changed twice). I went from stop-and-go traffic, to worse, to better, to relatively clear traffic at higher speeds. The hesitation and rough low-speed gear changes were starting to bug me but it hadn't occurred to me that the car was getting confused over the changes to my routine. In the few weeks preceding doing the reset, I was jumping into Sport mode more just to get the car to behave.

After the reset, the transmission is much happier and comfort mode is back to being useful. I think if there isn't a reason that the transmission learning program might have gotten a bit confused, the reset likely wouldn't do much.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 05:47 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
After the reset, the transmission is much happier and comfort mode is back to being useful. I think if there isn't a reason that the transmission learning program might have gotten a bit confused, the reset likely wouldn't do much.
That is my conclusion.

There does appear to be some confusion with "driver influenced" adaptations and gearbox adaptation. BMW have always claimed that there is a clean start with driver influenced adaptations from start up. There is no memory for that function, that is well documented over the years. Gearbox adaptations are a different issue altogether and there is reason to and restriction on modifying/resetting them.

All BMW models with driver influenced adaptation which I've owned (5,6 & 8-speed) have worked well, driving style and gearbox 'real time' adaption easy to feel and recognise over different driving conditions, but always back to a baseline start for each day's driving.

My experience has always fitted with this sort of statement from BMW technical data, (this example for the ZF 6HP gearbox).

The driver-type adaptation is restarted each time the vehicle pulls away from a standstill.

I use this example as we have the same hesitation and jerky low speed changes with some of those gearboxes.

This is another reason why I see the throttle adaption values being the part that can mess with the learning process. To me, it is as if adaptations are not being measured against the threshold values correctly on the fly.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 2
VikH11.50
      10-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #15
otay
Major
United_States
Rep

Good info. Thanks, everyone.
Quote:
I understand the reset procedure is for the throttle adaptations. The fact manual transmission users also use this procedure to get a more responsive throttle and say it works, indicate this is the case.
Pete, can you clarify which reset procedure you're referring to? The one we are attempting to do with the ignition switch and pedal?

My daily drive hasn't changed, but it does include a good amount of variety, including some nice highway on & off ramps where I'm often pushing the limits. Some days I take it easy overall, and other days...I'm hammering it. I would think the damn adaptation would be able to figure this out. Otherwise...why have it? Yeah, I can already see the response posts here, "just hammer it all the time". That ain't reasonable, especially when others (like my family) are in the car.

As others have noted, they can tell a difference when doing a reset. So can I. My overall impression is that I either want to disable it, or trade for a 6-speed manual. If some owners have to do this reset (or have it done) repeatedly, that means there is a difference between cars, and it can be "fixed".

I do agree that me trying to do a manual reset 3-4 days after the dealer did it probably would not make a difference. So, I'll wait a bit and try again. Will also look into the BMW AI tool mentioned here...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 12:23 PM   #16
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Good info. Thanks, everyone.

Pete, can you clarify which reset procedure you're referring to? The one we are attempting to do with the ignition switch and pedal?...
Yes the very one. It is the same reset that BMWCar refer to in the example I gave with the F13 640d.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 05:25 PM   #17
otay
Major
United_States
Rep

Well, tried the procedure again today, and...it worked!
- Foot off brake
- Press start to turn on car (but not start)
- Press accelerator for about 30-40 seconds
- Press start to turn off car
- Release accelerator
- Waited about 3 minutes, then started normally and drove off

No laggy accelerator pedal and it felt significantly better. I was kinda amazed, because it didn't do anything last time I tried this.

I'll see how long it lasts...maybe try it again in a few days.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 06:20 PM   #18
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Well, tried the procedure again today, and...it worked!
- Foot off brake
- Press start to turn on car (but not start)
- Press accelerator for about 30-40 seconds
- Press start to turn off car
- Release accelerator
- Waited about 3 minutes, then started normally and drove off

No laggy accelerator pedal and it felt significantly better. I was kinda amazed, because it didn't do anything last time I tried this.

I'll see how long it lasts...maybe try it again in a few days.
Interestingly, the system is "adaptive", meaning that the system "learns" and "adapts" as the driver drives so that the system can help give that drivers driving style a better response to how he drives.

So, if one resets the system, then it goes back to a preset table of parameters that are factory default.
Thus, the system is not ready to "learn" and "adapt".
Great.
However, why the need to reset it at all?
If the system is continuously learning and adapting, then given some driving time the system should have adjusted to the way you, or any other driver, is driving.
If a reset gives you a certain performance that you prefer, but then the performance changes such that you don't like it, then a reset is not the answer to the problem you are having.
It would suggest that there is something wrong with how the system is learning and or adapting to your driving style.

Let us know if you recent reset holds and your expectations are met.
If the performance and/or response goes away from how you want it to respond, then your BMW tech needs to find out what is really wrong and why the system is changing things such that you don't like how it drives.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2015, 05:46 AM   #19
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
However, why the need to reset it at all?
If the system is continuously learning and adapting, then given some driving time the system should have adjusted to the way you, or any other driver, is driving.
If a reset gives you a certain performance that you prefer, but then the performance changes such that you don't like it, then a reset is not the answer to the problem you are having.
It would suggest that there is something wrong with how the system is learning and or adapting to your driving style.
There's another angle on this, users like the way the reset parameters drive, then it adapts to their driving style, result... the hesitant, jerky responses. Say the users have a different driving style, (or a different driver) maybe the adaptations would never become hesitant and jerky. The driver may be his own worst enemy.

This is not saying there isn't an issue somewhere in software or hardware. But often even hardware changes and software updates still don't sort the issue.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 03:43 PM   #20
otay
Major
United_States
Rep

This is definitely a puzzle, and I'm determined to figure it out.

This morning, upon first start, it was back to it's sluggish ways. Most noticeable in low speed situations, like when pulling away from a stop. This is a mere 24 hours later.

So, did the reset procedure when going out for lunch. Sure enough, I could immediately tell the difference. No lag anywhere. Could even tell the the upshifts and downshifts were quicker. I think I've got the reset procedure down well now.

I'm going to do this a few more times and take very good notes before I go back to the dealer.

It's not my driving style. I've owned other performance oriented cars and would suggest I'm a "spirited" driver...with a tendency towards "aggressive" (but I can usually keep that in check ). Plus, how could my driving style make it revert back to sluggishness in less than 24 hours / less than 30 mins of driving?

Also, just received my Enet to OBD cable...gonna see what BMWAi shows (if anything).
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 03:45 PM   #21
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

Does anyone know if coding SAT also resets transmission adaptation?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 04:45 PM   #22
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
This is definitely a puzzle, and I'm determined to figure it out.

I'm going to do this a few more times and take very good notes before I go back to the dealer.
Are you going to try different driving styles between resets to see if it returns to the exact same sluggish pattern each time?

Remember adaptations from driver input are pretty much in real time, so it is possible to get back to square one in relatively short time, but I'm not sure it is definitely due to driver influenced adaptations.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0