F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Resetting Transmission Adaptation?
ARMA SPEED

11-24-2015, 11:03 PM   #45
Bob@NC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport, MPPK, MPE

Otay-

I have a 2014 335i (July 2013 build) that has the same problem you describe. I'm in Cary, near you. My main problem is that lower gear shifts in Comfort Mode are laggy and drawn out, not crisp and smoothy. The car seems to pause in the middle of shifts, to the point where I feel my head lightly jerking forward as the car pauses in the middle of a shift and then backward as the shift completes. This doesn't happen in the top gears, nor in Sport mode. Does this describe the problem you are having? I've driven a 328i, which did not have this problem. My wife's X-5 does not have this either. It's really irritating.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 07:56 AM   #46
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob@NC View Post
Otay-

I have a 2014 335i (July 2013 build) that has the same problem you describe. I'm in Cary, near you. My main problem is that lower gear shifts in Comfort Mode are laggy and drawn out, not crisp and smoothy. The car seems to pause in the middle of shifts, to the point where I feel my head lightly jerking forward as the car pauses in the middle of a shift and then backward as the shift completes. This doesn't happen in the top gears, nor in Sport mode. Does this describe the problem you are having? I've driven a 328i, which did not have this problem. My wife's X-5 does not have this either. It's really irritating.
Sounds the same. But I could also get it to do it in Sport mode, when rapidly accelerating (didn't have to floor it). If you try a few different levels of acceleration in Sport, you may notice it there, too.

The dealer I've used is Performance BMW in Chapel Hill. I don't fault them (too much), as it's a weird problem. The 328i loaner I had recently shifted so much better, it was actually more fun to drive than the 335i.

After 14 days, finally got the car back yesterday, and it's definitely better with the new transmission, but only have driven it once, so time will tell. I'm going to detail it Friday to make sure nothing is amiss (yeah, I'm weird that way).

Take it back, be persistent, and use the description you have above. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 10:18 AM   #47
LIVY435IGC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Garage List
I think i am having the samw issue.
Had the dealer install the dinan intake and cp. I have had the same hesitations in eco/comfort/sport.
Also have the mppk so sport should just take off, but it doesnt.
Anyone know the method to reset a 15 435gc? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 11:24 PM   #48
Bob@NC
Private
Rep

Thanks Otay. Performance BMW is where I go as well. Which service advisor did you work with? I don't use Sport Mode much so I could have the problem you describe there as well and just not know it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 11:37 PM   #49
Bob@NC
Private
Rep

Otay-

Please post again after a few days to let us know more about whether the problem is fixed fully.

Thanks,
Bob
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 11:14 AM   #50
otay
Major
United_States
Rep

Update: with new tranny, performance is much improved. It's almost like having a new car. Also, haven't noticed any issues related to the swap.

Still waiting for BMWNA to get back to me. I had been pressing to get them to buy it back, but now I'm not so sure...

(Bob@NC: sent you a PM)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 01:31 PM   #51
Alano_Mpower
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post
Sounds the same. But I could also get it to do it in Sport mode, when rapidly accelerating (didn't have to floor it). If you try a few different levels of acceleration in Sport, you may notice it there, too.

The dealer I've used is Performance BMW in Chapel Hill. I don't fault them (too much), as it's a weird problem. The 328i loaner I had recently shifted so much better, it was actually more fun to drive than the 335i.

After 14 days, finally got the car back yesterday, and it's definitely better with the new transmission, but only have driven it once, so time will tell. I'm going to detail it Friday to make sure nothing is amiss (yeah, I'm weird that way).

Take it back, be persistent, and use the description you have above. Good luck!

i have the same problem as u guys and will leave my car at bmw on mondey
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #52
x986
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 340, ex e92 335, ex e46 M3

Garage List
One of the best things about BMW - The quality and knowledge of its 'online support'.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 01:41 AM   #53
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB-II/CR 228i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
My transmission shifts exactly how I want, when I want, every single time. No "adaptations" required!
I'm with you, this whole thread is bizarre. In sport mode the tranny purposefully holds onto gears to have more available and immediate power without upshifting. When I am in sport mode and let off the accelerator abruptly my head and body shift forward because I am in such a low gear. Any adaptive transmission capability I have ever ran into is coupled with the wear of the transmission through the break-in period and in accordance with the owner's driving style. Of course, this is totally old school, but it sounds exactly like what these people are describing. When I read the first reply, I literally thought the dude was joking. They're suggesting that the parameters of the driving modes are somehow adapted to how the main driver uses the accelerator across time and miles with the vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 01:44 AM   #54
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

What everyone is describing is exactly how the F30 ZF 8AT is programmed to run in each respective driving mode... These aren't M cars for Christ's sake. The dealer replaced this dude's tranny because it's getting paid the big bucks to do so. Good luck.

Last edited by pjohns21; 02-20-2016 at 02:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 01:49 AM   #55
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

"Whether driving in city traffic or coming out of a curve at speed: Adaptive Transmission Management (ATM) recognises your individual driving style and automatically selects the right gear at the right moment, eliminating unnecessary shifts.

ATM integrates data input from the accelerator pedal and the engine management system. By analysing the timing and manner that the driver applies the accelerator, ATM autonomously learns the driver's style - noting, for example, whether the engine brake is often used, or if a gear is downshifted to accelerate out of curves. This pattern is continuously monitored, so that ATM always adapts to the style of the current driver.
In addition to the driver's individual style, ATM analyses the prevailing driving conditions: driving in winter or in mountainous areas, ATM shifts gears differently to driving in normal conditions. Stop-and-go traffic or winding roads are recognised. This results in fewer and more precise gear shifts, letting you fully focus on the dynamic performance of your BMW."

All this means is that the harder one presses on the pedal, the more reactive the transmission is going to be. It also reacts more readily when atmospheric/weather/elevation level conditions change compared to other automatic transmissions, because this ZF is the best. Every car made by GM has pretty much the exact same info in their respective owner's manuals. The above quote is pure marketing jargon.

Last edited by pjohns21; 02-20-2016 at 02:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 02:03 AM   #56
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

Is this the April fools thread?

"...that is the reset..." "...that's how you reset your transmission adaptation reset..."

Last edited by pjohns21; 02-20-2016 at 02:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 10:50 AM   #57
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns21 View Post
I'm with you, this whole thread is bizarre. In sport mode the tranny purposefully holds onto gears to have more available and immediate power without upshifting. When I am in sport mode and let off the accelerator abruptly my head and body shift forward because I am in such a low gear. Any adaptive transmission capability I have ever ran into is coupled with the wear of the transmission through the break-in period and in accordance with the owner's driving style. Of course, this is totally old school, but it sounds exactly like what these people are describing. When I read the first reply, I literally thought the dude was joking. They're suggesting that the parameters of the driving modes are somehow adapted to how the main driver uses the accelerator across time and miles with the vehicle?
I'm not sure you are. Here's my shifter for context:

And, technically, you're a bit off base with your assumptions. Transmissions DO adapt to driver input/driving style. If you're typically aggressive with quick stabs at the throttle, late braking, etc. the TCU will indeed recognize these traits and adjust it's mapping in anticipation. If you're very gentle and barely accelerate past idle it will adapt to that as well. Pretty much all electronically controlled transmissions do this and have done it since the advent of electronically controlled transmissions. Thus, the concept of resetting the adaptations...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 06:39 PM   #58
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic
Quote:

[IMG]https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/418800_x800.jpg[/IMG]

And, technically, you're a bit off base with your assumptions. Transmissions DO adapt to driver input/driving style. If you're typically aggressive with quick stabs at the throttle, late braking, etc. the TCU will indeed recognize these traits and adjust it's mapping in anticipation. If you're very gentle and barely accelerate past idle it will adapt to that as well. Pretty much all electronically controlled transmissions do this and have done it since the advent of electronically controlled transmissions. Thus, the concept of resetting the adaptations...
Oh, I didn't realize everyone knew each other on this thread. If it's constantly adjusting and changing since it's programmed that way, why the need to reset it unless major components of the car have been replaced? The info from BMW clearly states it can adapt based on different drivers so that's not justification for a reset either. Also, as you said, most ATs have been doing this (adjusting and being adaptive) ever since they've been electronically controlled. Needless to say, they are indeed called 'automatic' for a reason. The shift characteristics some people on here are describing illustrates verbatim how the transmission is intended to act in certain situations and driving modes. Also, it's unlikely the transmission is faulty without the dealer pulling any codes off of the computer. I'm just wondering what expectations he has for the performance of this transmission. I'm also wondering if his previous car has a CVT...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 08:31 PM   #59
otay
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic
Quote:

[IMG]https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/418800_x800.jpg[/IMG]

Oh, I didn't realize everyone knew each other on this thread. If it's constantly adjusting and changing since it's programmed that way, why the need to reset it unless major components of the car have been replaced? The info from BMW clearly states it can adapt based on different drivers so that's not justification for a reset either. Also, as you said, most ATs have been doing this (adjusting and being adaptive) ever since they've been electronically controlled. Needless to say, they are indeed called 'automatic' for a reason. The shift characteristics some people on here are describing illustrates verbatim how the transmission is intended to act in certain situations and driving modes. Also, it's unlikely the transmission is faulty without the dealer pulling any codes off of the computer. I'm just wondering what expectations he has for the performance of this transmission. I'm also wondering if his previous car has a CVT...
Totally off base assumptions. Why would you think that a service code must always be pulled before they replaced something? In this case, they sent a transmission fluid sample to BMW for analysis as a final determination. Would you like to see the service report?

CVT?

WTF?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 10:47 PM   #60
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Okay, maybe this is a stupid question...but regarding manual transmissions (6MT), is the throttle response "adaptive" such that it can be reset? I realize in the manual's case, the gear selection is removed from the computers equation, but the throttle is not.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2016, 07:46 PM   #61
otay
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
Okay, maybe this is a stupid question...but regarding manual transmissions (6MT), is the throttle response "adaptive" such that it can be reset? I realize in the manual's case, the gear selection is removed from the computers equation, but the throttle is not.
Great question, don't know. Have searched here and not found anything definitive. I'd like to try to reset the throttle...that is, if it has adaptation, and there was a way to do that...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #62
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post
Great question, don't know. Have searched here and not found anything definitive. I'd like to try to reset the throttle...that is, if it has adaptation, and there was a way to do that...
I've never seen anyone comment on this regarding manuals either. Anyone out there know if you can reset the "throttle" characteristics in the same way on a 6MT?

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 02:54 PM   #63
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
I've never seen anyone comment on this regarding manuals either. Anyone out there know if you can reset the "throttle" characteristics in the same way on a 6MT?
Throttle does not "adapt" as does the transmission. The only thing that alters throttle mapping (gain) is the mode button.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2016, 03:00 PM   #64
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The transmission adaptation is over an extended period of time with continuous refinement. Because of this, a sudden change is driving habits will not have much of an impact on the overall logged history. That's why it needs to be reset.

The concept of different adaptations for different drivers can be handled via the different/unique keys (I'm assuming this - I haven't had an automatic BMW other than my '91 750).

I haven't read every comment in the thread, but based on previous threads here, you're probably right that folks are griping about normal characteristics.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 04:43 PM   #65
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Throttle does not "adapt" as does the transmission. The only thing that alters throttle mapping (gain) is the mode button.
That certainly makes sense. Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 05:17 PM   #66
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
The transmission adaptation is over an extended period of time with continuous refinement. Because of this, a sudden change is driving habits will not have much of an impact on the overall logged history. That's why it needs to be reset.

The concept of different adaptations for different drivers can be handled via the different/unique keys (I'm assuming this - I haven't had an automatic BMW other than my '91 750).

I haven't read every comment in the thread, but based on previous threads here, you're probably right that folks are griping about normal characteristics.
I do wonder if erratic driver inputs are at least partly responsible for the negative feelings about gearbox function.

Adaptation to driving style is a continuous assessment and is not long term, so I don't follow why anyone requires to reset the gearbox adaptation values. Nothing to do with the driver style, gearbox adaptation values are essential to accommodate gearbox tolerances and wear. The "re-learn" process is not based on driving style, but specific driving procedures and protocol.

Like the 6HP, the 8HP is also equipped with ASIS (Adaptive Shift Strategy), which mirrors the driver’s mood within seconds, sharpening up response during quicker driving then slipping seamlessly into a more economical regime when the driver resumes a more relaxed approach.

Data for the 6HP with ASIS also states: "The driver-type adaptation is restarted each time the vehicle pulls away from a standstill". Still applicable to the 8HP.

I've driven my 5-series 8HP 'boxed example for 120 miles today in different driving conditions/environments. My outward journey was more relaxed, the drive home at a much faster pace. It works just as the comment above, mirrors the driver and conditions. There is no previous "driving style" to fight, it responds in seconds to a different style.

I've just don't follow this driver legacy nonsense we read about, not in 5, 6 or 8-speed ZF transmissions. Every drive is a new start, whether in slow driving flows, or a blast around the lanes, the gearbox wakes up when required, is lay back when the driver backs off.
Appreciate 0