F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Side Wing Mirror Folding Motor Repair
GetBMWParts

07-23-2020, 01:16 PM   #23
Luckystrike24
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09, 335XI, Manual, E90

Quote:
I can not find any info on how to take it apart.
Use the link below, the information will show you how to break the mirror almost completely apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:
since you repaired yours, what do you think if it is repairable?
it sounds repairable for sure you have to check the folding motor if you look at the photos i posted, the circular metal disk has 4 tabs that index into the base of the mirror that attaches to the door. they will have to be in good condition to index properly. im assuming they might be bent due to the way it broke. If you cannot straighten them out then you will have to replace the folding mirror motor, at a minimum.

the very least amount of work i can see you needing to do is pop off the black circular disk on the bottom side of the mirror base and reinserting the mirror on to the base if the folding motor tabs are ok. this can be tricky as you insert the mirror to the base, then put a small amount of tension on the two pieces by twisting them and then you have to lift the mirror up away from the base and twist the mirror into position. its hard to describe, but if you find yourself using excess force you are doing it wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 04:17 PM   #24
Luckystrike24
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09, 335XI, Manual, E90

I wrapped up a few things and had some time to mess with taking the mirror motor assembly apart. I figured it was heat sealed and looked up headlight disassembly to give a starting point. It was clear that I ruined my motor housing pretty quickly and didn't seem like a good solution to try and take it apart. Ultimately, it did pop apart, so using the base line below, it may come apart with minimal damage.

If i were to do this over id say set the oven to 350 and leave it in the preheated oven for 10 ~ 12 minutes and see if it comes apart. i used a long flat 5 in 1 paint tool to pry the casing halves apart. That being said the repair gear that is pictured on amazon does look different than the gear that is inside the housing but it still may work. Doing this to save $100; eh it seems debatable (how long will the new setup last if you just slap it together & don't seal it up, how do you seal it up, did the housing get damaged beyond repair, etc)

Ive taken a bunch of photos of the mirror motor assembly and posted them in my Instagram page, just swipe thru the photos. if you have any questions i will try to answer them to the best of my ability. If you do take a motor apart post up and let us know what temp and how long you left it in for.

Last edited by Luckystrike24; 07-25-2020 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 08:14 PM   #25
adika
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike24 View Post
I wrapped up a few things and had some time to mess with taking the mirror motor assembly apart. I figured it was heat sealed and looked up headlight disassembly to give a starting point. It was clear that I ruined my motor housing pretty quickly and didn't seem like a good solution to try and take it apart. Ultimately, it did pop apart, so using the base line below, it may come apart with minimal damage.

If i were to do this over id say set the oven to 350 and leave it in the preheated oven for 10 ~ 12 minutes and see if it comes apart. i used a long flat 5 in 1 paint tool to pry the casing halves apart. That being said the repair gear that is pictured on amazon does look different than the gear that is inside the housing but it still may work. Doing this to save $100; eh it seems debatable (how long will the new setup last if you just slap it together & don't seal it up, how do you seal it up, did the housing get damaged beyond repair, etc)

Ive taken a bunch of photos of the mirror motor assembly and posted them in my Instagram page, just swipe thru the photos. if you have any questions i will try to answer them to the best of my ability. If you do take a motor apart post up and let us know what temp and how long you left it in for.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDFFDuzF0CB/
Hello , I have same problem and want to take motor side from bracket but links are not working anymore would you know any other place to show to to take it apart
Thanks
Appreciate 0