F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > High Flow Catted Downpipe w/ no CEL
GetBMWParts

11-29-2018, 01:55 PM   #23
F30NFifty5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i XDrive 6mt / e83 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Tuned or no?
No tune yet.. Charge pipe is getting delivered next week so I'm waiting to install that before I tune the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #24
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Most of our customers have a CEL free experience with our downpipes but we've been working hard on our existing F chassis lineup and we should have a Euro6 standard catted option on the way for both the 3.5" and 4.0" models that will be guaranteed to pass inspection.

They'll be the same price as our existing options and should be ready for purchase Q1 2019.

Last edited by Tiago@VRSF; 11-29-2018 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 03:09 PM   #25
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Most of our customers have a CEL free experience with our downpipes but we've been working hard on our existing F chassis lineup and we should have a Euro6 standard catted option on the way for both the 3.5" and 4.0" models that will be guaranteed to pass inspection.

They'll be the same price as our existing options and should be ready for purchase Q1 2018.

Uh, it's currently Q4 2018. Either you're 3 Qtrs late or you mean 2019
Appreciate 1
scostu1623.00
      11-29-2018, 04:32 PM   #26
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
Uh, it's currently Q4 2018. Either you're 3 Qtrs late or you mean 2019
Dang where did the time go?

Corrected!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 06:23 PM   #27
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
By comparing the readings of the two O2 sensors, the computer monitors the effectiveness of the catalytic converter. If the computer does not see the second sensor, it throws a hissy fit and lights up your dashboard. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with the motor.
      11-30-2018, 07:33 AM   #28
rcaso26
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post

They'll be the same price as our existing options and should be ready for purchase Q1 2019.
Any plans for a catted downpipe for the N26 engine?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 09:25 AM   #29
VAF30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
What? don't say this... great... I'll let the installer know... did it look like a one time deal or possible just that's the way it is... first I've heard of fitment issue... How long ago did you install this... hoping I have a newer better batch...
Sorry for the delayed reply.. got caught up in the real world...

When the tech had the old downpipe off the car and he noticed when trying to install the new fabspeed pipe that the flange on the pipe was too tall and would not let the downpipe sit flush to the turbo or the clamp hold on it. I have some pictures of the 2 flanges so you can see , the measured stock unit is about 4.5mm tall, the new downpipe was about 5.5mm.
I had them mill down the flange on the new downpipe to match to ensure a good tight fit.. cost me an hours labor and have run with no problems..

That said I love the pipe, love the sound, and run a kind of stage 2+ custom tune pushing the stock turbo for everything its got.. (PS2 next spring) .. so although disappointed I would still recommend.. such is the life of playing with aftermarket parts.. No I did not contact FabSpeed.. meant too but sometimes lifes events over run us .. Let me know how yours turns out.

Mike
[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 09:27 AM   #30
VAF30
Private
United_States
Rep

Let me try to get old pipe on here again..

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 09:36 AM   #31
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
[QUOTE=VAF30;24070823]Sorry for the delayed reply.. got caught up in the real world...

When the tech had the old downpipe off the car and he noticed when trying to install the new fabspeed pipe that the flange on the pipe was too tall and would not let the downpipe sit flush to the turbo or the clamp hold on it. I have some pictures of the 2 flanges so you can see , the measured stock unit is about 4.5mm tall, the new downpipe was about 5.5mm.
I had them mill down the flange on the new downpipe to match to ensure a good tight fit.. cost me an hours labor and have run with no problems..

That said I love the pipe, love the sound, and run a kind of stage 2+ custom tune pushing the stock turbo for everything its got.. (PS2 next spring) .. so although disappointed I would still recommend.. such is the life of playing with aftermarket parts.. No I did not contact FabSpeed.. meant too but sometimes lifes events over run us .. Let me know how yours turns out.

Mike

I didn't have this problem with my Fabspeed Sportcat on my 435 EWG - installed it over 1 yr ago & fitment was perfect, mebbe yours fell thru the quality control check?
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 10:06 AM   #32
VAF30
Private
United_States
Rep

Mike

I didn't have this problem with my Fabspeed Sportcat on my 435 EWG - installed it over 1 yr ago & fitment was perfect, mebbe yours fell thru the quality control check?[/QUOTE]

Agreed.. did a lot of research and thinking and never heard of a fitment issue.. so I am assuming it was a one off..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #33
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAF30 View Post
Mike

I didn't have this problem with my Fabspeed Sportcat on my 435 EWG - installed it over 1 yr ago & fitment was perfect, mebbe yours fell thru the quality control check?
Quote:
Agreed.. did a lot of research and thinking and never heard of a fitment issue.. so I am assuming it was a one off..
Thank you for responding back... I will check mine today when it comes in... Hopefully yours was just a one-off...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #34
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

[QUOTE=1QuikWS6;24070875]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAF30 View Post
Sorry for the delayed reply.. got caught up in the real world...

Mike

I didn't have an issue either. Has been on the car +6 months, no problems.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 01:10 PM   #35
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Just checked the flange... measures with the calipers 5.6-6.1mm stick-out from flange ... will tell installer to watch out for fitment...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 06:26 PM   #36
Derekrpd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i Xdrive

So what's the verdict? Is the catted DP worth the expense? Sounds like exhaust sound is improved a bit but did anyone notice any hp gains according to the butt dyno?
      12-04-2018, 06:32 PM   #37
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekrpd View Post
So what's the verdict? Is the catted DP worth the expense? Sounds like exhaust sound is improved a bit but did anyone notice any hp gains according to the butt dyno?
Definitely worth it... especially if vrsf new claim is true for no cel guaranteed... turn on "torque act clutch nms" to see the difference in torque.... I'm going custom tune and I feel you have to upgrade at that point no matter what... Mine is with stock OEM.... Seba is with the fabspeed...

https://datazap.me/u/fastf30/log-154...og=0&data=4-17

https://datazap.me/u/seba77w/log-154...0&data=3-13-22
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 07:06 PM   #38
GPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

I just installed a Fabspeed catted DP (thanks Mike), and the AA Stage 2 tune. The difference is very feels substantial. The Stage tune added low end boost over my Stage 1+. The sound with the Akrapovic is addictive. I do find myself leaving it in comfort mode more often with the wife aboard and when riding through the neighborhood. In Sport and Sport+ its more than loud enough for me.
      12-17-2018, 09:19 AM   #39
F30NFifty5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i XDrive 6mt / e83 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Only catted DP that is guaranteed to not throw CEL is the FabSpeed with Hi Flow 200 Cell HJS Cat Elements as previously mentioned

Proven fact in my case as that is what I use in PA - passes Emissions Inspection every time, no CEL

FabSpeed is actually based in PA so I made sure when I ordered they were certain. Tech stated they had many cars in PA using them without a problem & if my car didn't pass they would accept return for full refund

Any other DP mfg. NOT using the HJS Cat Elements, that state they will not throw CEL, are full o poop

And yes, they are expensive ~$1400 - should have bought one during Cyber Monday sale when they were 25% off

They are truly a work of art & fitment is dead on

So since my VRSF catted downpipe threw a cel, I will not be able to pass emissions here in NY... so can I clear the code and pass emissions with jb4 or bootmod3??
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 06:04 PM   #40
ssanders307
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xdrive coupe

2015 435i xdrive. Installed a Fabspeed Sport Cat Downpipe 2 weeks ago - no cel so far with about 1500 miles. Throttle response is excellent and the car pulls much harder than before. Sounds much more aggressive yet restrained. Worth every bit it cost me.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 08:17 PM   #41
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30NFifty5 View Post
So since my VRSF catted downpipe threw a cel, I will not be able to pass emissions here in NY... so can I clear the code and pass emissions with jb4 or bootmod3??
No. It'll have a readiness check not set to ready even if you clear the cel
      04-22-2019, 08:50 PM   #42
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEST DRYVER View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
If you look at the FabSpeed DP pics I posted in #4 you see (2) bungs

(1) is BEFORE the cat element and is used for the upstream O2 sensor (regulating lambda probe) that is used for engine management/control

(1) is AFTER the cat element and is used for the downstream O2 sensor (lambda monitor sensor) that monitors functionality of the cat

I'm guessing that this DP was not installed by you? If you have (1) of those bungs open, with NO O2 sensor installed (I'm guessing the one missing is downstream O2 since car would not run without the upstream O2 installed) that would definitely affect how the car is running & should be causing a CEL constantly
Ok, this information is greatly appreciated! So I can't personally install shït! I've been involved in performance cars and modifications for several years, on many different brands and platforms. I read quite a bit and understand the differences in parts and how or why the work (kind of =). But I don't install a single item. I leave that to professionals. I make my money doing what I know best, and I pay people to do what they know best. My wife makes fun of me because I can't fix basic things around the house, but I do always get it fixed...
As far as the downpipe; I have a 2015 335i M-sport with an AR design catted downpipe. After some recent trouble with the car, I had a non tuner mechanic (Porsche Master Tech) take a peek under the hood to see if there's anything out of place. I was actually the one to notice that nothing was connected to the lower bung. The tech inspected the downpipe and saw that the bung was completely uncovered and was open all the way through. This tech is a smart guy, but he does not work on modified cars. When he saw the open bung, he capped it off with something (I'm not sure what). He said having that open could trigger a CEL and possibly effect the cars performance. So was that wrong? Should I not be covering the hole? Is there something that fell out that needs to be reconnected?
Please advise...

The car was at the Dealership for a day, then my wife has been driving the Beemer for the last 2 days, so I've yet to drive it. I'm still on a stock tune and the car has yet to set off a CEL. My drive to work is 50 miles. I'll drive it to work tomorrow, and if I don't have a CEL light by the time I get to work, I'll re-install the BM3 tune.
FYI- I have the same car as you. There are definitely two screw-in sensors, one above the cat and another below the cat. The wires connected to each of those sensors go straight up into the engine bay and attach to a dual clip bracket which is near spark plug #5.

When your downpipe was swapped out these two wiring connections at that dual clip would have been disconnected so that the two wiring harnesses could be fed down and then out with the old downpipe. Then the two sensors get unscrewed from the old downpipe and screwed into the new downpipe. Then some sort of pull-string is used to pull the two wiring harnesses back up into the engine bay to be reconnected. Check out Kies Motorsports on YouTube for a downpipe install video. It shows exactly what I just described.

It appears that during the downpipe replacement one of the sensors and its wiring harness either was not reinstalled, or wasn't installed right enough and fell out. I suspect the former, because if the sensor fell out the wiring harness would have been found hanging. (Doesn't sound like that was the case unless they didn't tell you.)
Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 03:19 AM   #43
Vanosman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e93/2014 F10/2004 M3 Conv

Anyone try China DP with 200 cell ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-N20-F10....c100005.m1851
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 04:47 PM   #44
bluef32
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435ix 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEST DRYVER View Post
Ok, this information is greatly appreciated! So I can't personally install shït! I've been involved in performance cars and modifications for several years, on many different brands and platforms. I read quite a bit and understand the differences in parts and how or why the work (kind of =). But I don't install a single item. I leave that to professionals. I make my money doing what I know best, and I pay people to do what they know best. My wife makes fun of me because I can't fix basic things around the house, but I do always get it fixed...
As far as the downpipe; I have a 2015 335i M-sport with an AR design catted downpipe. After some recent trouble with the car, I had a non tuner mechanic (Porsche Master Tech) take a peek under the hood to see if there's anything out of place. I was actually the one to notice that nothing was connected to the lower bung. The tech inspected the downpipe and saw that the bung was completely uncovered and was open all the way through. This tech is a smart guy, but he does not work on modified cars. When he saw the open bung, he capped it off with something (I'm not sure what). He said having that open could trigger a CEL and possibly effect the cars performance. So was that wrong? Should I not be covering the hole? Is there something that fell out that needs to be reconnected?
Please advise...

The car was at the Dealership for a day, then my wife has been driving the Beemer for the last 2 days, so I've yet to drive it. I'm still on a stock tune and the car has yet to set off a CEL. My drive to work is 50 miles. I'll drive it to work tomorrow, and if I don't have a CEL light by the time I get to work, I'll re-install the BM3 tune.
I have an AR design catted dp also with ceramic coating. I got it installed about 5 months ago with about 3k miles on it so far. I haven't had any issues thus far. How is your AR design dp holding up?