F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Ipod Style Menu using USB stick
Extreme Powerhouse

01-07-2014, 07:49 AM   #1
Banksy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Ipod Style Menu using USB stick

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

I am looking to play all my music from a USB stick (only have 16gb memory on iphone) and would like to be able to see an ipod style menu on the idrive screen, so i can select playlist, album, artist etc.

I would also like to see album art for each song when playing music in a given playlist. 90% of my music listening is from playlists i have created in itunes.

I have opted for pronav,

Can someone point me in the right direction please?!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #2
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

As I understand it, and certainly from what I've read here, you just need to put the files in sensible folders and it should just work...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksy View Post
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

I am looking to play all my music from a USB stick (only have 16gb memory on iphone) and would like to be able to see an ipod style menu on the idrive screen, so i can select playlist, album, artist etc.

I would also like to see album art for each song when playing music in a given playlist. 90% of my music listening is from playlists i have created in itunes.

I have opted for pronav,

Can someone point me in the right direction please?!
Just list the albums in folders with the songs for each album with in that folder. If you store them as mp3 files your memory goes a lot further. Stick your USB stick in the port in the glovebox and transfer the data to the car. Your music will then appear like on a iPod. Remove your stick when uploaded.

Just repeat the process as new albums are purchased. The hard drive on Pro Nav is 12GB for music.

In addition you can play from the stick using the USB in the arm rest.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
Just list the albums in folders with the songs for each album with in that folder. If you store them as mp3 files your memory goes a lot further. Stick your USB stick in the port in the glovebox and transfer the data to the car. Your music will then appear like on a iPod. Remove your stick when uploaded.

Just repeat the process as new albums are purchased. The hard drive on Pro Nav is 12GB for music.

In addition you can play from the stick using the USB in the arm rest.
It's 20GB for an NBT idrive and there's no port in the Glovebox, you transfer/play music using the USB port in the centre console.

As pointed out if you want to play music from a USB Stick, just copy your iTunes > Music folder to the USB (or external hard drive etc..), Album Art is embedded in the MP4 files so that will work fine, playlists are a bit more involved though as you need to edit your playlist files to work with the music locations on a USB/External Drive (Playlist files in iTunes will be listing the music locations based on your PC file system, such as C:\User etc.. and not the USB Drive).

You can also transfer the music to your Hard Drive, but again the playlists might not work properly unless you edit them.

I decided to just obtain an iPod Classic, but I do also run music from the Hard Drive, I only use external drives for Video at the moment.
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4springer View Post
It's 20GB for an NBT idrive and there's no port in the Glovebox, you transfer/play music using the USB port in the centre console.

As pointed out if you want to play music from a USB Stick, just copy your iTunes > Music folder to the USB (or external hard drive etc..), Album Art is embedded in the MP4 files so that will work fine, playlists are a bit more involved though as you need to edit your playlist files to work with the music locations on a USB/External Drive (Playlist files in iTunes will be listing the music locations based on your PC file system, such as C:\User etc.. and not the USB Drive).

You can also transfer the music to your Hard Drive, but again the playlists might not work properly unless you edit them.

I decided to just obtain an iPod Classic, but I do also run music from the Hard Drive, I only use external drives for Video at the moment.
Good to know, we have the earlier system in our 2012 car....

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I don't know about the NBT system, but the hard drive interface on the older CIC system is just utter rubbish in all sorts of ways. No way of editing the content unless you re-import it all, no album art, etc, etc.

I just use a tiny USB stick like this in the centre console socket:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's so low profile you don't even know it's there, and if you use a simple folder structure such as artist name / album name it works a treat. Album art works, and it's a doddle to update.

If you want to create playlists on it, just create a text file in the root of the USB drive named whatever you want with a ".m3u" extension, and add the tracks you want to it, one to each line, using the same format as your folders. e.g.

Elbow\The Seldom Seen Kid\An Audience With The Pope.mp3
Bob Marley\Legend\Exodus.mp3

Just note that the initial folder has no "\" before it.
Appreciate 0