F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
Studio RSR

10-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #5083
reecio
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 F20

Volume Pain

Hi Guys,

Recently got the Andream NBT box, unfortunately I had to run the AUX cable to the arm rest (even though I plugged in the optical cables correctly) I'm guessing my 2014 model doesn't support the internal AUX.

Anyway, all ok with that and its working fine, however when I'm listening to Spotify and using maps at the same time its a nightmare, the voice over on the apple maps and google maps is super loud compared to the music volume, meaning I have to turn the volume super low on the music otherwise the voice over giving directions is super loud :'(

Has anyone had experience turning down the volume on the maps apps? I looked on the carplay and app settings but couldn't see anything obvious, any help would be super appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 06:41 PM   #5084
fomenter
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by amama View Post
Is it possible to have android auto start automatically instead of pressing menu button and pressing ok every time I start the car?
Thanks!
Have the same problem. Did you figure it out?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 09:35 PM   #5085
Estoril235
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecio View Post
Hi Guys,

Recently got the Andream NBT box, unfortunately I had to run the AUX cable to the arm rest (even though I plugged in the optical cables correctly) I'm guessing my 2014 model doesn't support the internal AUX.

Anyway, all ok with that and its working fine, however when I'm listening to Spotify and using maps at the same time its a nightmare, the voice over on the apple maps and google maps is super loud compared to the music volume, meaning I have to turn the volume super low on the music otherwise the voice over giving directions is super loud :'(

Has anyone had experience turning down the volume on the maps apps? I looked on the carplay and app settings but couldn't see anything obvious, any help would be super appreciated!
I had the opposite problem, Nav voice was too quiet unless I turned music up to an uncomfortable volume. No true fix that I know of but I think someone in this thread said they turned all levels on the EQ down and it evened it out. Not sure if it will help you since your problem is a little different.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 10:14 PM   #5086
asmodd
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper S 2016

Garage List
Hello everyone!

This thread is super useful, I am glad to see so many BMW and mini fans here!

I just purchased a MINI Cooper S 2016 that has navigation and a 8.8" display (non-touchscreen). When diving into the car settings, I find the version is "NBTevo_E17235A" and a picture of the screen is attached.

I would like to add wireless Android Auto via a MMI box, but am a bit confused (between some of the information in this thread and those of online sellers -- and the NBT/evo versions are confusing):
1) If I understand correctly, I have a "NBT evo ID4" version. Does this require different hardware compared to the NBT version discussed in this thread? Or is the different hardware required only for ID5/ID6?
2) I found that there is a (more expensive) Andream box for the EVO version (link here). Do I need to get that version, and does anyone know how to solve the widescreen "stretch" issue if I can't use the NBT software?

Thank you!
Attached Images

Last edited by asmodd; 10-25-2020 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 11:32 PM   #5087
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril235 View Post
I had the opposite problem, Nav voice was too quiet unless I turned music up to an uncomfortable volume. No true fix that I know of but I think someone in this thread said they turned all levels on the EQ down and it evened it out. Not sure if it will help you since your problem is a little different.
carlinkit can adjust volume for phone calls independently from music on CarPlay.

ANDream CANT. I have a B unit and can't swap firmware???

Surely others must be annoyed by this problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 11:33 PM   #5088
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecio View Post
Hi Guys,

carlinkit can adjust volume for phone calls independently from music on CarPlay.

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 12:55 AM   #5089
Mo_far
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, E93 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonchicken View Post

reecio Estoril235

I haven't used AA but in carplay the fix is easy:
- go to settings in your favourite Nav App
- usually there's a section for navigation audio or voice
- set the volume to lowest

In Waze there's a slider volume control so unlimited adjustment

In Google maps you have three options:
Soft --> Normal --> Louder

Change these settings on your phone not in the carplay app

screenshots:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
vennids16.50
      10-26-2020, 02:52 AM   #5090
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

A couple of questions;

I have an Andream A unit installed around June still running the original firmware and MCU, which of the MCU and firmware do I update first using the custom software?

Do the custom MCU and firmware now allow use of BMW BT for calls?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 04:27 AM   #5091
janel
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Hi All,
Short time lurker, first time here. I just found this thread yesterday and spend all afternoon reading most of the pages.
Now I'm a bit confused.
Based on your experience what vendor do you recommend:
Andream or RoadTop and which version is less buggy Ver A or Ver B?
My car is my F10, year 2011, CIC 10" screen.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 05:17 AM   #5092
reecio
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_far View Post
reecio Estoril235

Thanks for this, I'll give it a shot and report back

Quote:
Thanks I'll check out the levels after testing turning down in the app
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 07:00 AM   #5093
numpsay
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i, 2014 528i, 2017 X3

Quote:
I did a lot of different things that eventually fixed it. Ultimately, I think it was either adjust the phone call volume FROM THE NBT or max out the AUX volume on the NBT. YMMV

Oh, my situation was where the NAV/phone call volume was very low compared to music. You may be able to adjust it the same way though.

-N
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 07:08 AM   #5094
Estoril235
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by numpsay View Post
Quote:
I did a lot of different things that eventually fixed it. Ultimately, I think it was either adjust the phone call volume FROM THE NBT or max out the AUX volume on the NBT. YMMV

Oh, my situation was where the NAV/phone call volume was very low compared to music. You may be able to adjust it the same way though.

-N
Thanks guess I need to keep messing with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 07:09 AM   #5095
Estoril235
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Can you clarify which unit you have, where did you see carlinkit has this function?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 07:51 AM   #5096
mclark2112
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

I am on the one of the latest builds on my Andream, but I still have annoying bug. Waze does not automatically switch to night/day mode. In fact, if it is set to auto, it dark all the time. BUt that is only when plugged into the Andream. On its own, Waze works as expected.

All other apps, like Google Maps and Apple Maps switch automatically with no issues. Is this a global problem, or just me?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 07:54 AM   #5097
xenirox
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 32D Luxury 184HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeBeemer View Post
@xenirox :

Hi, did you install the same camera for the front & the back?
No not the same, for the back it is in the trunk, and the front a small one in the bumper.
But i didn't use the Andream unit to process the signal, because i've found it too slow, so i got my old reverse cam unit, and put it in series with the Andrea unit, and it work like a charm!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 09:37 AM   #5098
Kyokushin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 428i, F32 420i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark2112 View Post
I am on the one of the latest builds on my Andream, but I still have annoying bug. Waze does not automatically switch to night/day mode. In fact, if it is set to auto, it dark all the time. BUt that is only when plugged into the Andream. On its own, Waze works as expected.

All other apps, like Google Maps and Apple Maps switch automatically with no issues. Is this a global problem, or just me?
Its problem of Waze and its Carplay implementation.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 11:40 AM   #5099
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Honestly as much as I love waze, the fact that its normal view has lane guidance but its Android Auto view does not have lane guidance drives me nuts. To the point that I only use waze for police notifications, and google maps for navigation.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 12:55 PM   #5100
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenirox View Post
No not the same, for the back it is in the trunk, and the front a small one in the bumper.
But i didn't use the Andream unit to process the signal, because i've found it too slow, so i got my old reverse cam unit, and put it in series with the Andrea unit, and it work like a charm!
Can you explain how specifically you connected in series and what unit did you have?

I have an older Bimmertech unit and I was able to see the front camera by pushing up on the iDrive knob. Would like to see if this is still doable. Currently I have to snap into reverse so it will cycle to the front camera. Annoying but trivial to not having wireless CarPlay lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 06:16 PM   #5101
amama
Rep
Drives: F31 320dX M-Packet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrr View Post
Yes, in my case with a Carlinkit MMI and custom firmware. Just take a look at the first posts to know with which other firmwares/modules it is posiible.

Regards
I have the andream B version, as far as I know, there is no such custom firmware for that, only for A version :-(
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #5102
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can you clarify which unit you have, where did you see carlinkit has this function?
I have Andream rev B. This can not be flashed to the Carlinkit firmware. I've been trying to get Andream tech support to add the setting in the main menu. it gives you the option to adjust the level for Siri, phone calls and nav. Carlinkit already has it. Even my janky unichip CarPlay box had this option. in a proper OEM CarPlay integration such as bmw or Honda or whatever, you can change the volume of phone calls by using the volume control, and it will remember the relative level to that of the music. If you search some of my earlier posts in this thread, you'll see I referenced another post regarding the addition settings that Carlinkit has. at this point, I will most likely sell my Andream and buy the Carlinkit because this one setting is ruining an otherwise perfect solution. Andream asked me for a video of someone adjusting the levels on their carlinkit box. WTF?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 07:40 PM   #5103
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
reecio Estoril235

screenshots:
Thanks for the suggestion, but navigation level settings do nothing for phone call volume. In CarPlay, there is a way to adjust phone call levels relative to music levels. Carlinkit has this setting, Andream can't understand what I'm asking for.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 07:47 PM   #5104
Mo_far
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, E93 325

Quote:
Quote:
reecio Estoril235

screenshots:
Thanks for the suggestion, but navigation level settings do nothing for phone call volume. In CarPlay, there is a way to adjust phone call levels relative to music levels. Carlinkit has this setting, Andream can't understand what I'm asking for.
No idea mate. I route the calls via cars BT and haven't had any issues with call volume. Believe it's still adjustable using the steering wheel as OEM.

If you try this and still see it out of sync with music volume try this:

Assuming you're connecting to car BT for phone only like me

1- disconnect from Andream and change your audio source to whatever other than AUX
2- make a call and adjust the volume on BT to your liking
3- reconnect to Andream and AUX and test the call and music volumes again

I haven't tried this but the logic should work
Appreciate 0