F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > AFE Power Mach Force Cat-Back Exhaust
ARMA SPEED

08-17-2017, 10:34 AM   #23
Climb Mode
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
Let's hear it!
Still waiting, over......
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 01:20 PM   #24
Kevin_Trxn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340i

Will post once we install it.
Soon soon
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 06:22 PM   #25
Kevin_Trxn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If you want to hear a quick sound clip check out my insta story @Kevin_Trxn

Only up for 24 hrs

Or wait for the vid lol
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 06:25 PM   #26
Kevin_Trxn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My experience added to original post
Appreciate 1
jalkster220.00
      08-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #27
Kevin_Trxn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sound clip and experience posted in original post
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 12:22 PM   #28
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
Thanks for the video & notes Kevin_Trxn!

Let us know if that rattle gets sorted out - it's much worse than the stock exhaust which annoys the hell outta me already.
      08-21-2017, 02:12 PM   #29
KD07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Trxn View Post
Just installed
Sounds great! 10/10 sound
When the flap is open it's pretty much a straight pipe from the cat back.

Will link video when its up.

Some things to note:
- Fitment is like 8/10. The mid pipe hugs the right side pretty close. Worried on some bumps it may tap the side heat shield.
- We had to bend the hangers to get the height of the tips the same but we couldn't get the tips the stick out the same length. The left tip sticks out a bit further than the right tip. May try and bring it to an exhaust shop to see if they can get better alignment.
- The exhaust flap RATTLES like a tin can in a hurricane on a cold start. The first start up was more rattle then rumble. Will contact AFE to see if there is a simple solution. Once the car warms up though the rattle goes away
- The logo on the tips..are half-in-half-out. Since they are black on a polished surface they are noticeable. It's odd because you only see half the logo. Would've been better on the side of the tips or just slightly engraved.

The sound alone is pretty amazing. I do over all like the exhaust. From behind its throaty and mean, lots of burbles and pops! The burbles and pops go away when in comfort mode. In the car, windows up, the cabin noise is only a notch louder, so you can still have a conversation and listen to music.
I had zero fitment issues, no rubbing anywhere and tips stuck out evenly with a few minutes of fine tuning adjustments. As for the rattle, I still have the same thing on cold starts which lasts until a minute or two later if the valve stays closed, or goes away as soon as it opens. I'm considering just unplugging it while the valve is open and covering each plug with electrical tape to eliminate the embarrassing rattles on cold starts. I run the car with valve open 98% of the time anyway.
      08-21-2017, 02:41 PM   #30
Kevin_Trxn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD07 View Post
Quote:
Just installed
Sounds great! 10/10 sound
When the flap is open it's pretty much a straight pipe from the cat back.

Will link video when its up.

Some things to note:
- Fitment is like 8/10. The mid pipe hugs the right side pretty close. Worried on some bumps it may tap the side heat shield.
- We had to bend the hangers to get the height of the tips the same but we couldn't get the tips the stick out the same length. The left tip sticks out a bit further than the right tip. May try and bring it to an exhaust shop to see if they can get better alignment.
- The exhaust flap RATTLES like a tin can in a hurricane on a cold start. The first start up was more rattle then rumble. Will contact AFE to see if there is a simple solution. Once the car warms up though the rattle goes away
- The logo on the tips..are half-in-half-out. Since they are black on a polished surface they are noticeable. It's odd because you only see half the logo. Would've been better on the side of the tips or just slightly engraved.

The sound alone is pretty amazing. I do over all like the exhaust. From behind its throaty and mean, lots of burbles and pops! The burbles and pops go away when in comfort mode. In the car, windows up, the cabin noise is only a notch louder, so you can still have a conversation and listen to music.
I had zero fitment issues, no rubbing anywhere and tips stuck out evenly with a few minutes of fine tuning adjustments. As for the rattle, I still have the same thing on cold starts which lasts until a minute or two later if the valve stays closed, or goes away as soon as it opens. I'm considering just unplugging it while the valve is open and covering each plug with electrical tape to eliminate the embarrassing rattles on cold starts. I run the car with valve open 98% of the time anyway.
You would need to have something to cover the edges to dampen the metal on metal but it also needs to be heat resistant! So Im trying to figure that part out. It does subside within a minute when the RPMs drop

And yeah I think I'm going to tinker with the fitment a little more!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 07:33 PM   #31
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
You would need to have something to cover the edges to dampen the metal on metal but it also needs to be heat resistant! So Im trying to figure that part out. It does subside within a minute when the RPMs drop

Might not be the same thing, but I also had a cold start rattle with my AWE catback and it doesn't have a valve. Turned out, it was my mid pipe hitting up against the chassis brace in cold weather (Colorado mornings are below 30 until May). I took it back to the shop and they spent 30 minutes trying to figure it out, and ultimately removed the chassis brace, and wallah, no more rattling.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #32
Kevin_Trxn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
Quote:

Might not be the same thing, but I also had a cold start rattle with my AWE catback and it doesn't have a valve. Turned out, it was my mid pipe hitting up against the chassis brace in cold weather (Colorado mornings are below 30 until May). I took it back to the shop and they spent 30 minutes trying to figure it out, and ultimately removed the chassis brace, and wallah, no more rattling.
That could be the case for some cars, but its my valve forsure. You can visibly see it rattle around haha.

I also made sure the pipe cleared the cross brace

I contacted AFE John Gray was great help.
He gave a couple suggestions that I will try first and report here.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 08:18 PM   #33
New2010
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1999 BMW 323i

Hey nice exhaust setup, did you have to put it on comfort mode to get the rattle to stop?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 09:51 PM   #34
Kevin_Trxn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2010 View Post
Hey nice exhaust setup, did you have to put it on comfort mode to get the rattle to stop?
Rattle stops after the car warms up or you can put it in sport mode to just open the valve

AFE mentions we can tweak the valve motor bracket or reset the valve motor itself to fix the rattle on cold start. I havent gotten around to it yet
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 09:58 PM   #35
New2010
Second Lieutenant
Rep

ohh how do you do that? nice exhaust!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 10:02 PM   #36
Kevin_Trxn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2010 View Post
ohh how do you do that? nice exhaust!
The bracket is rotatable, just 3 screws

You can twist the motor connection (i was told)

Your end goal is to put a little more tension when the valve is closed so proper seal is formed

Sport mode is just a button in your car, it changes some dynamics and opens your exhaust valve
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 10:04 PM   #37
New2010
Second Lieutenant
Rep

ok gotcha
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 12:40 PM   #38
Kevin_Trxn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

FIXED: Exhaust flap rattle

I just bent the clip that connects the valve motor and the flap to put more pressure on the flap when close

I tried to reset the motor but that doesn't seem to budge
I also tried to unscrew and reposition the bracket but that was too much of and adjustment

So I went with bending the clip and it worked out nicely
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DrifterX514.00
      08-31-2017, 02:12 PM   #39
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Looks like this in stock and CAD vs. USD is stronger than it was a couple months ago... I'm so tempted to buy this but I'm torn because the MPPSK includes an ECU tune, not just a piggyback. $4,800+13% tax CAD just for MPPSK (without labour) is way out of the budget tho

Quote:
I just bent the clip that connects the valve motor and the flap to put more pressure on the flap when close

I also tried to unscrew and reposition the bracket but that was too much of and adjustment

Is the rattle completely gone now or is it just less audible?
      08-31-2017, 04:29 PM   #40
Kevin_Trxn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
Looks like this in stock and CAD vs. USD is stronger than it was a couple months ago... I'm so tempted to buy this but I'm torn because the MPPSK includes an ECU tune, not just a piggyback. $4,800+13% tax CAD just for MPPSK (without labour) is way out of the budget tho

Quote:

Is the rattle completely gone now or is it just less audible?
Rattle is pretty much gone! The extra pressure to keep the valve closed worked out well

My OEM exhaust rattled too, i just think it comes with having valves lol
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 12:43 PM   #41
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
aFe Power has this exhaust for 25% off with their black Friday sale. I'm really tempted to purchase this over MPPSK right now and get a JB4 eventually.

Decisions, decisions...

Kevin_Trxn, have you heard the MPPSK exhaust in person to compare with your exhaust? Any opinions?
      01-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #42
Kevin_Trxn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
aFe Power has this exhaust for 25% off with their black Friday sale. I'm really tempted to purchase this over MPPSK right now and get a JB4 eventually.

Decisions, decisions...

Kevin_Trxn, have you heard the MPPSK exhaust in person to compare with your exhaust? Any opinions?
I haven't heard mppsk hooked up to a b58.

IMO since this exhaust is pretty much a straight pipe from the cat back when the valve is open, the sound is unbeatable.

These cars have great sound insulation. So even with the valve open the cabin highway noise is only when you give it a good amount of gas.

Windows down is a whole other world.

People have told me:
The popping on deceleration is lowkey like a lambo................
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 09:29 PM   #43
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I ended up going for the MPPSK which is straight pipes when the two valves are opened - it's definitely intoxicating. Can't wait to drive with the windows down come spring!
      08-16-2018, 01:57 AM   #44
New2010
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Has anyone installed a cat back on a awd model because they don’t have make it for a awd model and already purchased it for my car?
Appreciate 0