F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iDrive Retrofit Options Carplay/Android/MMI/ID6
ARMA SPEED

02-17-2021, 08:31 AM   #1
heshky
Registered
Rep
Drives: F32 428i

iDrive Retrofit Options Carplay/Android/MMI/ID6

Hi all,

I have a 2014 BMW 428i, currently with the 6.5 inch screen
It has Business Navigation, and HU_EntryNav.

From buying the car, I had always intended to get a retrofit on my HU as I feel like I missed out on the professional media package. I looked at doing this myself, but I do not feel quite comfortable. I've detailed what options I have below and would appreciate some advice for me to make the decision on what to go for.

iDrive 6/NBT Evo Upgrade
This would be including the 8.8 Screen, updated iDrive system to the ID6 software including carplay and tiles interface etc, then the touch iDrive Controller also. I've had this quoted from a few places in the UK, the lowest rate I got was £1300 for parts and installation.
Not too shabby, but the only thing I am worried about is when upgrading this, I have been told the ConnectedDrive no longer works as expected due to the IMEI numbers on the media units being different to my specific model.

What I am wondering is, if I did go for the full upgrade, then come the time where I look to sell/part exchange the car, this may not be acceptable due to the modification to the media unit - and I couldn't reverse this process without paying out for it all to be switched over again. Could anyone shed some light on this process and experience with part exing a car with a retrofit?

Screen Upgrade & MMI Box
At the moment, this is the choice I am leading towards the most. I know my model can fit the 8.8 screen with the breites_display and other code that needs to be done, and I have found a couple of places happy to do the install for a reasonable price. As for an MMI box, I know if I did come to sell the car, removing the MMI box wouldn't be as much hassle/cost than if I had the full ID6 upgrade. The andream seems a good choice, there is a Bimmertech supplier near me in Herts, but the quote was £920 for the installation of the BimmerTech MMI prime and the 8.8 screen upgrade.

There is another fitter in Dartford, who would be happy to do the screen change over for £300 (in comparison to £480 from the Bimmertech installer) and then would be happy to install an MMI box for me, but only if I had brought one along that I bought myself, I think he quoted about £75 for the labour and coding on that also

Android Screen
I have looked into these but I just don't really like the look of the system and how non OEM the screen looks. I don't think I would go for this option, despite easy removal come selling the car.

If anyone could take the time to give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated. If anyone also knows somewhere local to Herts who could help me out with the installation, would be very thankful!

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 09:03 AM   #2
mmm-five
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC + 2015 320D M-Sport

I'm in a similar predicament myself for my June 2015 pre-LCI F31, with similar choices, but as I already have the bigger screen & touchpad iDrive controller (part of Pro Media I guess) I'm just leaning towards the MMI Prime and a reversing camera retrofit.

Unfortunately, my closest 'authorised' installer in the north-west is 60 miles away - so not close enough to mitigate the risk of a lockdown fine at the moment.

Maybe I'll make do with retrofitting the M-Performance alcantara trim & folding rear headrests for now (which I think I handle myself).
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 07:22 PM   #3
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

From the videos I watched, the newer iDrive just needs to be coded, and that is just a plug in replacement (swap the screen, head unit + idrive controller). Really easy to do.

I'm in the same boat. Alibaba is the cheapest route for the android screen or the mmi box. I'm leaning to the MMi box to get wireless android auto, but I'd like the touchscreen. Ughhh... Now I'm looking at the replacement android screens but not 100% solid on that yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 04:14 PM   #4
heshky
Registered
Rep
Drives: F32 428i

I have decided to go with a BimmerTech MMI prime and 8.8 screen upgrade, being installed this week. Looking forward to it, will update with some pics. Might go for a idrive knob cover change, if anyone's done one of these please give us a pic!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 03:06 PM   #5
SJLenz1340
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Has there been any experience here with “Retrofit My Bimmer”? I see a complete NBT6 retrofit for those of us with NBT4.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 09:18 AM   #6
EasyBimmerCoding
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJLenz1340 View Post
Has there been any experience here with “Retrofit My Bimmer”? I see a complete NBT6 retrofit for those of us with NBT4.
The RMB retrofit kit will have a NBTEVO equipped with 4GB

You can Flash your current headunit to iDrive 6 for fullscreen carplay but the unit only has 2GB...

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0