F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Calling Bimmerpost f30 experts! front end damage..course of action for repair/Geico??
Studio RSR

02-16-2021, 09:38 AM   #23
adamf30e90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Looks far from being totaled. Maybe I missed it but what damage was done on the Toyota? Did you receive a citation? GL and hope you’ll be back on the road soon with proper repairs.
There was no police involved. We stopped took pics and exchanged info. It was very minor damage, some paint and scratches.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 12:14 PM   #24
jd_perspective
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i M-Sport

Not totaled, probably $10k in damage/rebuilding.
Go to BMW Certified Repair Center - not all dealers are certified repair centers. Make sure they put OEM parts on (I dont think certified centers would put aftermarket) but they could be refurbished.

2019 440i Coupe M-Sport - Retired
2018 330i Sedan M-Sport - Retired
2015 428i Gran Coupe M-Sport - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 03:38 PM   #25
adamf30e90
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_perspective View Post
Not totaled, probably $10k in damage/rebuilding.
Go to BMW Certified Repair Center - not all dealers are certified repair centers. Make sure they put OEM parts on (I dont think certified centers would put aftermarket) but they could be refurbished.
I got an estimate for parts and repair and labor for $8500 which includes after market parts. Unfortunately, I contacted bmw certified centers and they were strict on only using OEM parts and I would be on the hook if Geico didn't pay for the OEM value. I went to a reputable shop and trust their work so some aftermarket parts I can live with if the quality isn't compromised.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 03:50 PM   #26
adamf30e90
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
This is exactly what crumple zones are for. Glad you and the other driver are safe! IMO I don't think you'll have to worry about any unforeseen long term damage. This doesn't look like a total loss to me.There might be some damage to the front rails but they are there for pretty much this exact purpose. Fenders seem straight still (passenger side at least) so I doubt you have any frame or structural damage. Should be a pretty straight forward repair and DEFINITELY go to a BMW dealership that way you know you getting OEM parts. New hood, new headlight, new bumper/supports/components, new radiator and supports, new rails, new bmw emblem lol and you'll be good to go. Enjoy the loaner!
I got an estimate for parts and repair and labor for $8500 which includes after market parts. Unfortunately, I contacted bmw certified centers and they were strict on only using OEM parts and I would be on the hook if Geico didn't pay for the OEM value. I went to a reputable shop and trust their work so some aftermarket parts I can live with if the quality isn't compromised.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 04:30 PM   #27
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamf30e90 View Post
Quote:
This is exactly what crumple zones are for. Glad you and the other driver are safe! IMO I don't think you'll have to worry about any unforeseen long term damage. This doesn't look like a total loss to me.There might be some damage to the front rails but they are there for pretty much this exact purpose. Fenders seem straight still (passenger side at least) so I doubt you have any frame or structural damage. Should be a pretty straight forward repair and DEFINITELY go to a BMW dealership that way you know you getting OEM parts. New hood, new headlight, new bumper/supports/components, new radiator and supports, new rails, new bmw emblem lol and you'll be good to go. Enjoy the loaner!
Did you ask Geico if they would pay for OEM? I am just curious.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 05:13 PM   #28
adamf30e90
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimR View Post
So there's a couple of things, Geico checks the list shop sends them and they run it through their own suppliers. If they have it, it will be shipped to the shop. If shop seems it unfit or unsafe, Geico will go with the shops OEM suggestion.

They will be paying for some OEM parts but not all. I talked with the adjustor earlier this week and he mentioned they are required unless the shop doesn't accept it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 08:09 PM   #29
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
Most insurances don't pay ONLY OEM PARTS, specially on cars more than couple years, because the component being replaced is not a brand new. Therefore they don't feel they must replace with a brand new OEM part. The insurance premium would be over expensive if you make this requirement.

Last edited by Pauloxxi; 02-18-2021 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 08:47 PM   #30
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamf30e90 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimR View Post
So there's a couple of things, Geico checks the list shop sends them and they run it through their own suppliers. If they have it, it will be shipped to the shop. If shop seems it unfit or unsafe, Geico will go with the shops OEM suggestion.

They will be paying for some OEM parts but not all. I talked with the adjustor earlier this week and he mentioned they are required unless the shop doesn't accept it.
Got it. I added "OEM only" parts in my insurance. I pay like a couple dollars more or something but that was my solution. Hopefully I never have to use it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 08:16 PM   #31
joesid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xDrive

The type of parts used for the repair is usually determined by the individual state, not the insurance company or repair shop. I have Geico and have filed a claim in the past. You always have the option to use OEM parts, you pay the difference directly to the repair shop.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 08:36 PM   #32
SquareWheels
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M550

Garage List
2023 M550i  [10.00]
I bought my car new about a year and a half ago. The dealer mentioned if I was unfortunate and get into an accident and bring it to them for repair, they'd cover the deductible.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 11:31 PM   #33
heifetz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi

Sounds like you’re getting the help you need, but as others have stated choose a shop that’s reputable. DO NOT go to Geico’s preferred shop. To be a preferred shop they are required to offer discounts to Geico as well as meeting a quota for used and aftermarket parts.

Also do not necessarily choose a certified shop either. Being certified doesn’t automatically guarantee they will perform proper repairs. The bonus to a certified shop is if they do something wrong you have the backing of BMW NA to get it corrected. Geico cannot tell you where to go for repairs, or where to go for an estimate.

Geico will write for aftermarket parts. You won’t find a shop that will use strictly oem parts unless you either pay the difference or the shop is willing to price match.

I do this for a living. If you have any questions about the repair process or insurance please feel free to reach out.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 12:20 PM   #34
jd_perspective
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareWheels View Post
I bought my car new about a year and a half ago. The dealer mentioned if I was unfortunate and get into an accident and bring it to them for repair, they'd cover the deductible.
careful with that! if the insurance co. finds out they get in big trouble.
also i had a shop in ny do that, saved me my deductible on a hit and run.
a few months later I was involved in a snow storm pileup... the new shop (definitely wasn't worth going back to that other shop) show me pictures where the prior body shop used screws, washers and other bullshit stuff to cut corners on the repairs! remember if they're out to screw the insurance companies they're going to screw you too.

2019 440i Coupe M-Sport - Retired
2018 330i Sedan M-Sport - Retired
2015 428i Gran Coupe M-Sport - Retired
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      02-26-2021, 07:21 PM   #35
SilverFox335
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Agreed, go to dealer, especially with only $500 ded.

Quote:
As stated above, definitely go to the BMW dealership. As for insurance, given your low $500 deductible, you're capped on your cost sharing of the repairs. As for how GEICO settles the claim and your rates going forward, I would recommend not using GEICO anymore.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 07:50 PM   #36
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i

You can try JP Auto Body in south SF. They fixed our Infiniti and BMW multiple times and did great work, they are also BMW certified.
Appreciate 0