F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F36 side skirt extensions
GetBMWParts

02-21-2021, 06:19 AM   #1
Yawn07
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 435d GC

F36 side skirt extensions

Hi, I fancy fitting some genuine side skirt extensions to my F36. Messaged a seller on EBay who said they are just glued on and the fixings were not included. Checked the BMW instructions and that says use the fixings (15 a side I think) and glue.
Don't really fancy using glue as it would be messy if they ever had to come off.
So my question is, how did you fit yours?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 07:09 AM   #2
Abzynthe
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Gran Coupe LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yawn07 View Post
Hi, I fancy fitting some genuine side skirt extensions to my F36. Messaged a seller on EBay who said they are just glued on and the fixings were not included. Checked the BMW instructions and that says use the fixings (15 a side I think) and glue.
Don't really fancy using glue as it would be messy if they ever had to come off.
Thanks!
I've got the oem skirt extensions. They come with plastic screws and you need to drill holes in your skirt.
Since fitting, I have used screws, washers and bolts to make sure they don't budge.

They also have a thin strip of double sided tape across them.
Attached Images

02-21-2021, 07:12 AM   #3
Yawn07
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abzynthe View Post
Quote:
Thanks!
I've got the oem skirt extensions. They come with plastic screws and you need to drill holes in your skirt.
Since fitting, I have used screws, washers and bolts to make sure they don't budge.
Thanks for the reply mate. Did you not use glue at all?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 07:13 AM   #4
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Thanks!

You could use small bolts but they would be subject to corrosion.
They shouldn’t be glued as such. The process is to use the 3M tape to align the blade and then use plastic rivets to secure (all which come with the blades). If the fixings are missing, the rivets are available from BMW and are not expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 07:15 AM   #5
Yawn07
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Quote:
Thanks!

You could use small bolts but they would be subject to corrosion.
They shouldn’t be glued as such. The process is to use the 3M tape to align the blade and then use plastic rivets to secure (all which come with the blades). If the fixings are missing, the rivets are available from BMW and are not expensive.
Thanks mate. That's pretty much how I thought they went on but wanted to confirm that was secure enough.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 03:06 PM   #6
cramsnik
Crustacean denier
Rep
Drives: M3LR

3M tape is how I did mine on the F31. The blades for that model have a raised strip toward the inner side, you sort of hook it behind the panel and it lines up perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 03:47 PM   #7
Yawn07
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramsnik View Post
3M tape is how I did mine on the F31. The blades for that model have a raised strip toward the inner side, you sort of hook it behind the panel and it lines up perfectly.
Thanks pal
Appreciate 1
cramsnik388.50
      02-21-2021, 06:11 PM   #8
SuperHamz
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

I used 3M double sided tape along with self tapping zinc coated hex head screws to reinforce.
      02-22-2021, 02:09 AM   #9
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHamz View Post
I used 3M double sided tape along with self tapping zinc coated hex head screws to reinforce.
Thats what i did for my F32 too.. just jacked the car up slightly to be able to screw them in.

Although in hindsight its was probably easier to just remove the sideskirts from the car to fit them on a bench.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 02:29 AM   #10
cramsnik
Crustacean denier
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazi View Post
Although in hindsight its was probably easier to just remove the sideskirts from the car to fit them on a bench.
I did this, not sure of your into the side decals but this method works out easiest for doing this as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 03:48 AM   #11
Yawn07
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I did this, not sure of your into the side decals but this method works out easiest for doing this as well.
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks chaps
Appreciate 0