F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 340i Downpipe and Resonator Delete
GetBMWParts

12-15-2020, 09:21 PM   #23
leew102
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by parch8 View Post
At this point the order I'm thinking might be best to do the resonator see if it cleans up the sound cuz it will probably be good regardless of what downpipe I have to do this. If it still needs refining maybe go with a catted DP and if that's too muffled but tone is right get an axle back way down the line. I loved how it sounded with resonator delete but it needed a bit of volume and with volume sadly I got raspiness. If it wasn't for needing a downpipe for stage 2 I'd pull the downpipe up for the stock one and put an axle back on
Might be worth checking out CTS catted DP. I got my CTS Catted DP from MAPerformance for like $330. I don't think it adds too much rasp. There isn't a whole lot of info yet on the longevity of it, but there are a few people now on the forum that have installed it. CTS seemed like a popular brand over on the Audi forums when I had my RS5 so figured I'd give them a shot.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 09:27 PM   #24
parch8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9816 340i xdrive alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew102 View Post
Quote:
At this point the order I'm thinking might be best to do the resonator see if it cleans up the sound cuz it will probably be good regardless of what downpipe I have to do this. If it still needs refining maybe go with a catted DP and if that's too muffled but tone is right get an axle back way down the line. I loved how it sounded with resonator delete but it needed a bit of volume and with volume sadly I got raspiness. If it wasn't for needing a downpipe for stage 2 I'd pull the downpipe up for the stock one and put an axle back on
Might be worth checking out CTS catted DP. I got my CTS Catted DP from MAPerformance for like $330. I don't think it adds too much rasp. There isn't a whole lot of info yet on the longevity of it, but there are a few people now on the forum that have installed it. CTS seemed like a popular brand over on the Audi forums when I had my RS5 so figured I'd give them a shot.
My coworker who's in the Audi community and he said the same. Not completely against the idea especially at that price point for catted. My main concern is by running a catted it melting the cels over time with any burbles at all The only issue I had with CTS was finding one, I tried to get a catless from them cuz vrsf back ordered mine like 3x and I never heard back from cts when I reached out about stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 09:41 PM   #25
leew102
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 340i xdrive

Quote:
My coworker who's in the Audi community and he said the same. Not completely against the idea especially at that price point for catted. My main concern is by running a catted it melting the cels over time with any burbles at all The only issue I had with CTS was finding one, I tried to get a catless from them cuz vrsf back ordered mine like 3x and I never heard back from cts when I reached out about stock.
Yea same, at that price was kinda worried about the quality of the cats too but there have been instances where some of the more expensive ones also having their cats come apart or melted too. So i figured if even i get 2-3 years out of it, I'd be ok with buying a new one if needed especially at that price and me doing the install myself. 0 fitment issues and seemed really well constructed too so time will tell. I reached out to MAPerformance customer service directly, was a special order and got it in just a few days.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 10:45 PM   #26
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew102 View Post
Quote:
Yea same, at that price was kinda worried about the quality of the cats too but there have been instances where some of the more expensive ones also having their cats come apart or melted too. So i figured if even i get 2-3 years out of it, I'd be ok with buying a new one if needed especially at that price and me doing the install myself. 0 fitment issues and seemed really well constructed too so time will tell. I reached out to MAPerformance customer service directly, was a special order and got it in just a few days.
I'll definitely keep that in mind then cuz that's a good price for a catted downpipe by a lot! Thank you a lot for the info!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 10:17 PM   #27
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Update: had the vibrant resonator installed in the mid pipe and it helped clean up the sound a lot and I'm happy with the result for now! Cleaner sound and I'd say 15% volume reduction not much quieter but less rasp in the sound for sure. Hopefully my
Opinion doesn't change over time! Appreciate everyone's ideas on this!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 05:45 PM   #28
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Update: had the vibrant resonator installed in the mid pipe and it helped clean up the sound a lot and I'm happy with the result for now! Cleaner sound and I'd say 15% volume reduction not much quieter but less rasp in the sound for sure. Hopefully my
Glad you are happy. When I did my VSRF catted DP + AA cat back exhaust, I did the "ohh.... sh**..... what have I done...."

Now with the ER DP + AA exhaust (and I welded in the OEM valve to driver tip) it's perfect.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 07:18 PM   #29
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Quote:
Glad you are happy. When I did my VSRF catted DP + AA cat back exhaust, I did the "ohh.... sh**..... what have I done...."

Now with the ER DP + AA exhaust (and I welded in the OEM valve to driver tip) it's perfect.
Tbh I still like the idea of going to the ER downpipe. Everyone seems to be saying it's less raspy but right now I love how it came out although I might go with a valvetronic axle back in the future because they seem to be quieter with calves closed and louder with valves open than mine is nke
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 09:16 PM   #30
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Tbh I still like the idea of going to the ER downpipe. Everyone seems to be saying it's less raspy but right now I love how it came out although I might go with a valvetronic axle back in the future because they seem to be quieter with calves closed and louder with valves open than mine is nke
Was the AA exhaust noticeably loud than the stock muffler system in sport?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 09:19 AM   #31
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

This is my sequence of changes and experiences:

1) Did the AA cat back exhaust first. Has a nice raspy low throttle/low RPM sound, when you really lay into it, more of a "whoosh" than a growl. Honestly, initially it wasn't what I expected. I'm used to normally asperated higher higher cylinder count engines that just get insanely louder as you open it up.
2) Then decided I wanted a DP so I did the VSRF catted version. Fitment was brutal due to a manufacturing defect which placed the outlet at a weird angle. It was a 4" to 5" cat to 4" pipe that was really raspy and rough sounding. It ended up making the AA exhaust painful under light throttle/loud. When I was doing 40-50MPH going up a incline, you could feel the exhaust rasp through the drivers seat, glove box was rattling, etc. Cold start with the rear doors open just hurt your ears.
3) In the driveway I realized if I plugged on of the AA tips, this megaphone pain went away, so I welded the OEM flapper into the left AA outlet. Then it was perfect since that low RPM load/drone + cold start didn't make me regret life.
4) The VSRF went back since fitment was wrong, and I did the ER one. That DP is 4" through a 4" cat. It is MUCH more refined sound and nice and crisp.

All in all, VERY happy with the ER + AA + OEM exhaust flap. If you get into the throttle a bit in sport, it gets louder, under cruise the flap closes and becomes tame and tolerable. During cruise it's still louder than OEM, somewhere around the volume as the fake active sound in sport, but without that annoying drone.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 10:30 AM   #32
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
This is my sequence of changes and experiences:

1) Did the AA cat back exhaust first. Has a nice raspy low throttle/low RPM sound, when you really lay into it, more of a "whoosh" than a growl. Honestly, initially it wasn't what I expected. I'm used to normally asperated higher higher cylinder count engines that just get insanely louder as you open it up.
2) Then decided I wanted a DP so I did the VSRF catted version. Fitment was brutal due to a manufacturing defect which placed the outlet at a weird angle. It was a 4" to 5" cat to 4" pipe that was really raspy and rough sounding. It ended up making the AA exhaust painful under light throttle/loud. When I was doing 40-50MPH going up a incline, you could feel the exhaust rasp through the drivers seat, glove box was rattling, etc. Cold start with the rear doors open just hurt your ears.
3) In the driveway I realized if I plugged on of the AA tips, this megaphone pain went away, so I welded the OEM flapper into the left AA outlet. Then it was perfect since that low RPM load/drone + cold start didn't make me regret life.
4) The VSRF went back since fitment was wrong, and I did the ER one. That DP is 4" through a 4" cat. It is MUCH more refined sound and nice and crisp.

All in all, VERY happy with the ER + AA + OEM exhaust flap. If you get into the throttle a bit in sport, it gets louder, under cruise the flap closes and becomes tame and tolerable. During cruise it's still louder than OEM, somewhere around the volume as the fake active sound in sport, but without that annoying drone.
Wow seems like it was a real PITA for you trying to find the right sound with the setup. But I can see what you mean about vrsf with the raspy tone for some reason. Once I did mine (fitment wasn't an issue with catless one maybe they fixed the fitment issues in recent models) it was absurdly raspy like I didn't want to get on it because when I gave heavy throttle I felt like I had a ricey sounding car and was not happy. The resonator made me love it but tbh I do still debate doing the ER or a different brand in the future to see if I get a cleaner tone I'm glad it all worked out in your setup though bet with that combo it sounds amazing under throttle!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 08:11 AM   #33
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Quote:
Glad to hear you found a setup you like. Please share a link to the resonator you installed. Thanks!
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 05:40 PM   #34
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
Quote:
Glad to hear you found a setup you like. Please share a link to the resonator you installed. Thanks!
Vibrant Performance 1794 Bottle... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001804TPI...p_mob_ap_share

That's the one I had installed the 3" version. And thank you!
Appreciate 1
PeterWT251.00
      01-18-2021, 07:11 PM   #35
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Wow seems like it was a real PITA for you trying to find the right sound with the setup. But I can see what you mean about vrsf with the raspy tone for some reason. Once I did mine (fitment wasn't an issue with catless one maybe they fixed the fitment issues in recent models) it was absurdly raspy like I didn't want to get on it because when I gave heavy throttle I felt like I had a ricey sounding car and was not happy. The resonator made me love it but tbh I do still debate doing the ER or a different brand in the future to see if I get a cleaner tone I'm glad it all worked out in your setup though bet with that combo it sounds amazing under throttle!
Actually, it started with the wife doing a maintenance visit that she liked the sound of the MPPSK. I wouldn't pony up the cash so I bought the axle back (really wanted the DP). So I figured I'd do the DP, and "lucky" for me, the VSRF had a factory defect so I changed brands.

Long story short, I'm happy where all the cards landed, and a bit happy that the VSRF didn't work out (in my setup).

My "assumption" is you probably want to stick with a cat the same size as the DP tube. VSRF went from 4" to 5" (same cell count) so the holes are bigger and it sounded bad. Maybe it flowed more, but it was loud and obnoxious to me. If you are doing the non-cat, then it really doesn't matter since it's just a straight pipe.
Appreciate 1
parch841.00
      01-18-2021, 08:58 PM   #36
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Actually, it started with the wife doing a maintenance visit that she liked the sound of the MPPSK. I wouldn't pony up the cash so I bought the axle back (really wanted the DP). So I figured I'd do the DP, and "lucky" for me, the VSRF had a factory defect so I changed brands.

Long story short, I'm happy where all the cards landed, and a bit happy that the VSRF didn't work out (in my setup).

My "assumption" is you probably want to stick with a cat the same size as the DP tube. VSRF went from 4" to 5" (same cell count) so the holes are bigger and it sounded bad. Maybe it flowed more, but it was loud and obnoxious to me. If you are doing the non-cat, then it really doesn't matter since it's just a straight pipe.
Yea that's a very good point about that, I'm glad my setup worked out how it did, but might have to explore my options depending on how inspection goes next month 😅😅. Really hoping I should be ok since that's my only not ready monitoring system which apparently is how the state does it here but if so I think I'm going to avoid vrsf for a catted one Heard good things about ER and cts as well
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 08:56 AM   #37
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Quote:
Yea that's a very good point about that, I'm glad my setup worked out how it did, but might have to explore my options depending on how inspection goes next month 😅😅. Really hoping I should be ok since that's my only not ready monitoring system which apparently is how the state does it here but if so I think I'm going to avoid vrsf for a catted one Heard good things about ER and cts as well
I don't know what the MA inspection consists of, but if it includes an emissions test (HC, CO, NOx), you will almost certainly fail.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 02:40 PM   #38
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
Quote:
I don't know what the MA inspection consists of, but if it includes an emissions test (HC, CO, NOx), you will almost certainly fail.
Apparently it does not according to someone I know who's shop did stickers for years Not sure how that all works out here so just hoping for the best and if not I'll deal with it and fix it lol.
Appreciate 0