F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > H&R sport springs
Extreme Powerhouse

04-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
kburaks
Canada
Rep
Drives: e46 325ci

H&R sport springs

I am planing to install h&r springs to f30 328. Will it effect my warranty because i am leasing it.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Depends what kind of problem you run into...springs wont affect engine or interior..
      04-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kburaks
I am planing to install h&r springs to f30 328. Will it effect my warranty because i am leasing it.
I had the same question. I don't think it'll affect out warranty because it has nothing to do with the engine.

I think so... :
      04-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
kburaks
Canada
Rep

Thanx guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
kburaks
Canada
Rep

I am going to talk to my dealer tomorrow. Lets see what they are going to say.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
335R1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Do yourself a favor and don't mention any mods to your dealers. It will always be in their best interest to save and make money. Even when that means denying you warranty using every any excuse they can.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

yea, i am friendly with the head foreman at my local shop so i talked to him about a list of mods i was planning and he was cool with me telling me what i should and should not do.

But yea, dont say a word to your service advisor unless you have a great relationship with him/her

But if you do the springs, the obviously cant void anything engine, transmission related tho im sure they would try lol
      04-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
kburaks
Canada
Rep

Thank you guys. I appreciate for your help.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #9
kburaks
Canada
Rep

What will happen if I end up putting on the springs? Because I'll still go to the same dealership to get an oil change etc, wont they realize the change?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #10
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kburaks View Post
What will happen if I end up putting on the springs? Because I'll still go to the same dealership to get an oil change etc, wont they realize the change?
Yea, but they cant do anything about it. Like i said there are laws out there where they still have to cover warranty on your car unless said mod is causing the problem...

So a transmission problem or engine problem will still be covers since springs have no affect on them. Now if you have a suspension problem then they can probably try to say your mod caused the issue...
      04-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #11
kburaks
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kburaks View Post
Yea, but they cant do anything about it. Like i said there are laws out there where they still have to cover warranty on your car unless said mod is causing the problem...

So a transmission problem or engine problem will still be covers since springs have no affect on them. Now if you have a suspension problem then they can probably try to say your mod caused the issue...
Thanx
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

If they can reasonably attribute a failure of an original part or vehicle system to your aftermarket part/mod, then they can deny warranty coverage- and they will certainly try.

If you can wait for the product release (and you are willing to spend the extra $) you should consider the AC Schnitzer suspension upgrade. As I understand it, AC Schnitzer offers a 2 year warranty on their parts, and it extends to other BMW part failures if BMW won't cover it because they assert that the modification caused the failure. This is copied from AC Schnitzer's website:

"So as the customer, you're on the safe side: if your vehicle fitted with an AC Schnitzer performance upgrade develops a fault within the BMW warranty period for which BMW does not bear liability because it is causal connected with the AC Schnitzer performance upgrade, we step in. This AC Schnitzer warranty is provided with every performance upgrade or engine."
http://www.ac-schnitzer.de/en/bmw-ca.../general-info/
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #13
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817 View Post
If they can reasonably attribute a failure of an original part or vehicle system to your aftermarket part/mod, then they can deny warranty coverage- and they will certainly try.

If you can wait for the product release (and you are willing to spend the extra $) you should consider the AC Schnitzer suspension upgrade. As I understand it, AC Schnitzer offers a 2 year warranty on their parts, and it extends to other BMW part failures if BMW won't cover it because they assert that the modification caused the failure. This is copied from AC Schnitzer's website:

"So as the customer, you're on the safe side: if your vehicle fitted with an AC Schnitzer performance upgrade develops a fault within the BMW warranty period for which BMW does not bear liability because it is causal connected with the AC Schnitzer performance upgrade, we step in. This AC Schnitzer warranty is provided with every performance upgrade or engine."
http://www.ac-schnitzer.de/en/bmw-ca.../general-info/
Sounds like a warranty fight waiting to happen.

BMW...Sir your springs are aftermarket and they caused your issue. AC...Sir its BMW's issue there is no way our Springs caused your engine to throw a bearing!!! LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #14
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
Sounds like a warranty fight waiting to happen.

BMW...Sir your springs are aftermarket and they caused your issue. AC...Sir its BMW's issue there is no way our Springs caused your engine to throw a bearing!!! LOL
haha. Indeed, not a situation anyone wants to face. It all comes down to whether or not BMW can "reasonably" attribute a failure to an aftermarket part. So far, in my experience with BMW, they were very "reasonable" with their approach to completely replacing my wife's 1 series over a chronic door window leak. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I'd like to think they wouldn't blame a serious engine issue on some H&Rs....
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #15
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
That reminds me of an issue my wife used to have with the exhaust on her M3. She had an aftermarket exhaust on it and very often she had the 'check engine' message on. The dealer did not do anything because it voided the warranty and the only option was to get some kind of chip apparently. Now, funny thing happened, she actually received a message from BMW NA about a recall on her old M3 several months after she traded it in, related to that check engine message. Seems that, in the end, the message was not there because of the exhaust but because of some failure of the car itself lol

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0