F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > JB4 or BM3 for daily driving plan on going fbo
Studio RSR

05-16-2018, 11:38 PM   #1
JRam24
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Estoril Blue M-Sport

Garage List
JB4 or BM3 for daily driving plan on going fbo

Ok guys I’m planning on going fbo(all er, fmic, cp, turbo to icp, catless dp, with undecided cai) with my 14 335i MSport RWD Auto EWG. I am a traveling salesman so I drive 20-25k miles per year so reliability (as much as it can be I know it’s not a Toyota) is important. I’m torn over just piggy backing with a jb4 so I can disable when I’m just cruising or going bm3 because from what I’ve read the drive quality is better. What are your recommendations? Also mpg is important as well...go ahead and laugh but I’m getting 31mpg right now through 1/2 a tank on 100% gas 91 oct however I haven’t raced anyone this tank yet. Lol All suggestions and tips will be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 11:52 PM   #2
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

I have a jb4 and had one on my e90 and am happy with it. That being said, based on what see going on now, if i had to make a tuning choice now I would go with one of the flash tunes especially with obd2 flashing ability.

I am even considering going with Mhd at some point as more and more testimonials about it come out.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 12:17 AM   #3
JRam24
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
I have a jb4 and had one on my e90 and am happy with it. That being said, based on what see going on now, if i had to make a tuning choice now I would go with one of the flash tunes especially with obd2 flashing ability.

I am even considering going with Mhd at some point as more and more testimonials about it come out.
I haven’t checked into mhd. I will for sure. What makes it different from bm3?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 05:10 AM   #4
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Bm3 for sure. Easier and quicker to install and uninstall, no messing under the hood and exceptional support.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 05:13 AM   #5
Marlinman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Some are going to bash the JB4...I've used it for about five years. I enjoy it and generally haven't had any issues. I'd consider MHD now if I had to pick between the two. It is pretty comparable in price and it is just better driveability (yes you give up the ability to change maps on the fly) but overall I think folks are very happy with it. It is clean (nothing in engine bay) and easy to flash the car. Only exception is if you are an iOS user, it is still android only. JB4 support I have found to be fine, a bit finicky at times and I can't speak about support for MHD yet because I haven't needed it. (currently I have the two stacked).
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 05:35 AM   #6
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

MHD
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 07:22 AM   #7
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

bm3 for sure. you can flash back to stock map in under a minute. I actually saw an improvement in gas mileage with the bm3 tune during moderate driving. It tough not to hammer it though.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 07:45 AM   #8
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRam24 View Post
I haven’t checked into mhd. I will for sure. What makes it different from bm3?
You know, reading through threads the one difference I see is price with Mhd being less...many people say this one is better or that one is better, but there are very few true comparisons. What is needed are dynos at the same shop with cars with the same mods...and then there is a difference in maps.

You see a good amount of people who went from JB4 to flash but nobody who has tried the flashes and compared them side by side.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 09:14 AM   #9
JRam24
Rep

Garage List
Awesome info everyone. I do use android so mhd is an option for me. I did a little reading on it and it does seem to be less money but at this point its not about the money. I think i may have ruled out the jb4 to this point. Now its just a matter of bm3 or mhd...decisions decisions!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 10:57 AM   #10
Bimmertodd88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Awesome info everyone. I do use android so mhd is an option for me. I did a little reading on it and it does seem to be less money but at this point its not about the money. I think i may have ruled out the jb4 to this point. Now its just a matter of bm3 or mhd...decisions decisions!!!!
I was in your boat two months ago I also drive the same amount of miles I went with bm3. Mhd has just came out of beta a week after I got bm3. So the question is do you want to go with something that is already established and proven or go with MHD who has done exceptional work for the e series but are still working out the kinks for the f series. A lot of my n54 bodies get on me for not going mhd but to be honest for f series bm3 has proven power. The ots tunes are pretty good I took my car to the dyno and the guy said who ever tuned this know what they are doing because it is good. The support is amazing always diving my problem within a day so do your research search around in the forums for more information. Either way you can't go wrong with flash.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #11
badbread
not good, but bad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

MHD vote here as you can change maps on your phone and not be tethered to a computer.

I usually run the 93 octane map mixing e85 but when I'm not able to get e85 it's nice to be able to switch back to a 91 map anywhere I go.
      05-17-2018, 11:12 AM   #12
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
There does appear to be one huge advantage to the flashes-ease of install. JB4 is not hard but just plugging a wire in and waiting for a bit sounds a lot easier than connecting connectors and running wires.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #13
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

The JB4 has things to offer flash tuning can't do, and flash tuning has things to offer JB4 can't do. So best option is both. BMS makes it easy and inexpensive by providing free flash maps specifically for use with the JB4.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 01:27 PM   #14
jwalk1877
Rep
Drives: 335i xdrive

I actually ordered a JB4 today. There was an issue processing my payment at burger i had to clear up with my card company. Funky thing is, they have a google number for their business line and they seem to take forever responding to email.

Both of these do not give me a warm fuzzy, and makes you question what kind of customer support will be available when it really matters...so I am canceling the order and probably going to go with a BM3 instead.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 02:30 PM   #15
JRam24
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmertodd88 View Post
I was in your boat two months ago I also drive the same amount of miles I went with bm3. Mhd has just came out of beta a week after I got bm3. So the question is do you want to go with something that is already established and proven or go with MHD who has done exceptional work for the e series but are still working out the kinks for the f series. A lot of my n54 bodies get on me for not going mhd but to be honest for f series bm3 has proven power. The ots tunes are pretty good I took my car to the dyno and the guy said who ever tuned this know what they are doing because it is good. The support is amazing always diving my problem within a day so do your research search around in the forums for more information. Either way you can't go wrong with flash.
Bimmertodd88 What kind of problems have you run into that they needed to address? Just curious. It sounds like you've had great luck and are happy with bm3.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 02:32 PM   #16
JRam24
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbread View Post
MHD vote here as you can change maps on your phone and not be tethered to a computer.

I usually run the 93 octane map mixing e85 but when I'm not able to get e85 it's nice to be able to switch back to a 91 map anywhere I go.
badbread Have you run into any probs with mhd?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 03:03 PM   #17
Bimmertodd88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Bimmertodd88 What kind of problems have you run into that they needed to address? Just curious. It sounds like you've had great luck and are happy with bm3.
Just simple things like problems with the WiFi agent nothing tune related. But like mike said best thing is both but if I had to pick it's a flash and you can pick up a jb4 when you decide you wanna do meth injection or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 03:48 PM   #18
JRam24
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just simple things like problems with the WiFi agent nothing tune related. But like mike said best thing is both but if I had to pick it's a flash and you can pick up a jb4 when you decide you wanna do meth injection or something like that.
Imthink im gonna start with flash then explore stacking them if i need to at a later date. At the moment i dont have plans to do meth or anything too crazy but we all know that can change when you keep wanting to go faster.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 03:50 PM   #19
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Xdrive Coupe

I have an FBO 435i running Stage 2+ MHD. And I can tell you this thing is amazing! Stock like drivability with huge power gains and like others have said I did see an improvement in mpg after the flash. If you're an android user then MHD will be super easy for you. They have great options too like cold start delete , burble settings of soft, medium or hard and duration. Top speed limit removal, 91, 93, 95 octane and E20 maps. And a great logging monitor. It's really a great product. I will also suggest BM3 as well I just don't know much about it but I'm sure it's better than just throwing on a JB4. Either way I think flash is the way to go. Also if you do decide to go with JB4 first and eventually want flash MHD offers great Back end Flash to work with your JB4.
      05-17-2018, 03:56 PM   #20
JRam24
Rep

Garage List
Seba77W i know there are free maps with the bm3. How much are the maps on mhd. I cant really find any info other than its cheaper. Im just wondering if i buy the bm3 and $50 for all the ots maps would that be easier than buying 1 map at a time with mhd
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 04:02 PM   #21
Bimmertodd88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Imthink im gonna start with flash then explore stacking them if i need to at a later date. At the moment i dont have plans to do meth or anything too crazy but we all know that can change when you keep wanting to go faster.
Yeah that's where I'm at right now fbo but need more power.
Appreciate 1
JRam243.50
      05-17-2018, 04:05 PM   #22
Bimmertodd88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Seba77W i know there are free maps with the bm3. How much are the maps on mhd. I cant really find any info other than its cheaper. Im just wondering if i buy the bm3 and $50 for all the ots maps would that be easier than buying 1 map at a time with mhd
Yeah I paid the 50 bucks. MHD and BM3 are both good options. I like MHDs logging better and offline accessibility but BM3s tunes are killing it and the access to custom tuners from everywhere is cool. You are able to see a bunch of tuners willing to tune over the air for a price of course but the platform is really good and still improving
Appreciate 0