F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream Head Unit that is NOT Android Based
GetBMWParts

06-02-2021, 10:38 AM   #45
mrberry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 630i

password is 1368. have you checked with andream to to see if yours has the latest software version?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 04:05 PM   #46
lehtee
Private
Rep
Drives: F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrberry View Post
password is 1368. have you checked with andream to to see if yours has the latest software version?
Thank you,I was able to make this somewhat usable by tweaking some factory settings.

My software version is from march/april this year, so there is a good chance it's the latest one, but I will check it with Andream.

Anyway my biggest problem with this is the display quality, and software update won't fix that. You can probably live with the display if you upgraded from 6.5" OEM screen, but after having a true anti-glare 10.25" Android screen you just can't go back to this
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 06:35 AM   #47
mrberry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 630i

With the display i understand if you've had 10.25 full hd you'd notice the difference where as if you've got the standard one the quality similar
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 09:46 AM   #48
monoturbo
Rep
Drives: BMW

Does anyone have a link to the latest software for these units?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 09:46 AM   #49
mmcuz
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcuz View Post
Thanks all for the tips.

I'm trying to decide between an MMI box and one of these as I want CarPlay but don't want to go the Android route. The price difference in the UK is negligible so I'm leaning towards this - coming from a CHAMP2 HU it would easily be the cheapest way to upgrade my 6.5" screen at the same time as getting CarPlay (and much simpler than a full NBT/EVO HU swap).

One question for those with this unit - in the Factory Settings do you have the option to use the OEM Bluetooth? If so, does this run calls through the factory microphone? While the upgraded screen would be great to have, I'd rather not have call quality suffer by using the mic in the unit if I can avoid it.
Follow up on the above.

In an attempt to get OEM calls experience I installed an MMI box (from TA Auto Upgrades in the UK - NOT recommended)… this didn't work out for me. My CHAMP2 system needed aux running to the armrest and a tap cable running to the microphone. I had crashing problems even on latest software and call quality was so bad it was unusable. Needless to say the unit went back (after eventually getting the supplier to engage).

My experience with the 8.8" andream screen is totally different. Solid connection, good audio quality and no crashing. I still ran Aux cable to the armrest but calls work as described by @bernardo.fortes which is fine now I'm used to it. Touch sensitivity is no iPad but I prefer it as a UI to the iDrive controller. Definitely feels like good bang for buck compared to an ID6 retrofit.

I also went for an 8.8" for better resolution. From others' experience with the 10.25" I'm glad I made the choice I did.

Downsides:
- I have set up auto connect to wireless CarPlay on startup which works great for one device but isn't as good for switching between two phones because it needs to be manually connected each time. My compromise is to use wired while my wife uses wireless.
- idrive side looks worse with the new splitscreen-esque graphic on the side (my headunit can't be coded to change resolution). I don't use it other than for reversing sensors display but it irritates me.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 01:57 AM   #50
zDave
Rep
Drives: BMW 320

Quote:
Follow up on the above.

Downsides:
- I have set up auto connect to wireless CarPlay on startup which works great for one device but isn't as good for switching between two phones because it needs to be manually connected each time. My compromise is to use wired while my wife uses wireless.
Hey MMCUZ, does your unit auto connect wirelessly every time to your iPhone? I've just installed one of these and I have to remove and re-add the connection every time I want to use wireless car play. Did you have to change any settings in the unit, or in your phone? I've heard older iPhones may be twitchy, but I have a 12mini so I would have thought it should all be good. For me, this is the biggest PINA about the unit.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 12:58 PM   #51
stealth1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

Could anyone who owns this unit tell me if the touch interface works for native BMW functions?

I'm contemplating using this for an EVO retrofit instead of retrofitting an OEM 10.25" X5 or 5 series screen. This unit helps me avoid hacking up my dash or an OEM unit.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 03:26 PM   #52
lehtee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth1 View Post
Could anyone who owns this unit tell me if the touch interface works for native BMW functions?

I'm contemplating using this for an EVO retrofit instead of retrofitting an OEM 10.25" X5 or 5 series screen. This unit helps me avoid hacking up my dash or an OEM unit.
Touch function won't work on idrive sadly

And I wouldn't buy this even if it worked, the display quality is so bad compared to OEM display.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 03:41 PM   #53
stealth1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

That tells me what I needed, thank you! Onto explorations of an 10.25" OEM F15 or G30 screen retrofit..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 09:23 AM   #54
mmcuz
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by zDave View Post
Quote:
Follow up on the above.

Downsides:
Hey MMCUZ, does your unit auto connect wirelessly every time to your iPhone? I've just installed one of these and I have to remove and re-add the connection every time I want to use wireless car play. Did you have to change any settings in the unit, or in your phone? I've heard older iPhones may be twitchy, but I have a 12mini so I would have thought it should all be good. For me, this is the biggest PINA about the unit.
In factory settings I turned CarPlay Automatic to on. This loads CarPlay automatically when starting the car without having to press anything on screen. It may not be a fix for your problem but worth a shot?

It only works/pairs with one phone at a time (wife and I both have iPhone 12). We have to force the connection each time we switch devices but it works solidly with just the one. She drives more in the week so our solution is to have hers paired wirelessly and I use wired. The only quirk is that when we are both in the car and I'm driving I have to select wired before it auto connects to her phone
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 09:52 AM   #55
lehtee
Private
Rep

Just retrofit NBT EVO to your car... and all your problems are gone. Did that few days ago and couldn't be happier

You get:
- Better sound quality
- Instant carplay connection
- 100% stable carplay connection
- Smooth carplay experience (no more 0.5s delay whenever using idrive knob...)
- Better display quality
- Proper support for multiple paired devices
- OEM microphone for calls, other people can actually hear you..
- Voice commands + siri using OEM mic
- Music information on instrument cluster when using steering wheel controls to skip tracks

and much more

Installation is not any harder than installing an android unit. Sure this costs about 5x more but it's worth it if you ask me. I really regret dealing a year with these chinese craps.

Last edited by lehtee; 06-27-2021 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 01:29 PM   #56
trumani
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoturbo View Post
Does anyone have a link to the latest software for these units?
Bump. I'm interested too.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 01:31 PM   #57
trumani
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In factory settings I turned CarPlay Automatic to on. This loads CarPlay automatically when starting the car without having to press anything on screen. It may not be a fix for your problem but worth a shot?

It only works/pairs with one phone at a time (wife and I both have iPhone 12). We have to force the connection each time we switch devices but it works solidly with just the one. She drives more in the week so our solution is to have hers paired wirelessly and I use wired. The only quirk is that when we are both in the car and I'm driving I have to select wired before it auto connects to her phone
I wonder if it is my firmware, which I still need to find an update file, but "carplay automatic" never sticks in the factory settings. Whenever I exit and go back to it, it switches the option to the other one, not automatic.

Is there a way to factory reset the unit?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 02:16 PM   #58
trumani
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoturbo View Post
I have this unit and I find the audio quality to be good, no obvious difference from using Aux. Of course, it's important to keep the aux volume at around 50%.

I do have a problem where it occasionally doesn't connect to wireless CarPlay, which is a bit of a pain. I asked the vendor for a software update but they did not have one.

The other problem I have is that, sometimes, the car switches to the CD and turns the audio off from Aux. I haven't figured that out yet.

I'm very happy with the screen quality.

Hey Monoturbo, by 50%, do you mean the settings in the OEM bmw menu (via the volume knob) or in the android head unit volume settings that you adjust via touch screen?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 09:42 AM   #59
monoturbo
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumani View Post
Hey Monoturbo, by 50%, do you mean the settings in the OEM bmw menu (via the volume knob) or in the android head unit volume settings that you adjust via touch screen?
It turns out the problem I had with audio cutting out was due to a harness issue that I'm still trying to figure out. If I poke the harness when the audio cuts out, it comes back.

The 50% I mentioned is on the BMW side of the screen, the aux input volume. I find if I raise it up much beyond 50%, it starts to distort.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 06:46 PM   #60
BETA V1
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Andream 10.25" Carplay Headunit

2013 335i with HK (CIC-High)
iPhone XS Max (iOs 14.6)

Installed the 10.25" Andream Carplay Headunit two weekends ago and have given it a few drives to settle in to it. Available from their website and and I found a replica on Waaka.com with better write ups and instructions.

It shipped from China to California in about a week. Installation went as expected except for that white connector on the back of the screen slipped out and was causing a signal error. Figured that out and got it to fit more snugly. But there is plenty of youtube and other posts about the install if you want to know more. I ran the AUX cable up to the armrest and did the BMW Phone Cradle Delete at the same time to make more room in the armrest. I ran the USB connector cable under the little door and rubber mat next to the cigarette lighter (5V connector). So it was clean install.

I ran through the setup which is pretty smooth to adjust the screen size and then turn on some of the settings (the ones we know what they do at least) like Automatic Carplay.

So......after a few weeks here are some initial thoughts and some issues I have. Maybe someone knows how to fix some.

1. Audio on AUX (with 3.5mm plugged in) is ther easiest way to have a seamless experience. Quality is not as good as BT.
2. I did the AUX delete which then utilizes the Quad Connection as the AUX input (no need to run a 3.5mm under the armrest). Audio was only slightly better. Aux delete post:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1784474
3. So with that in mind, I am utilizing the BT connection form iDrive and then switching over to Carplay. I turned off the Automatic AUX feature on the setting within the Andream Headunit. Sometimes the car just starts right up and Carplay loads and music is going from BT but other times I have to cycle through some inputs to get BT to kick in from iDrive. I think this is an iDrive issue with he 2013 CIC-High system and not Andream. Prior to ever having this headunit, my BT was not 100% working. Sometimes I had to cycle to the radio and then back to BT to get it play. But all in all quality is better and I think the little back and forth is no big deal to get better quality.
4. I do not really use my phone in the car to talk so I wont really comment on that and they way it works. its just not a priority for me.

iDrive Controller Issues
My biggest gripe really is the way the iDrive controller behaves with the Andream unit within the Carplay Environment. It works completely fine in the BMW software environment and I think it might be a 2013 CIC-High Issue. Maybe some of the other users with NBT can comment.
Nav Button - its supposed to jump to the Carplay Nav (Google Maps or Apple Maps) but instead it just turns on Siri.....What???!?!?

Menu Button - the long push to switch between BMW and Carplay acts a little funky. If you are in BMW iDrive and long push the menu button, Carplay blinks for a second and then the Andream menu loads which forces me to select another menu. If you are in Carplay and long push Menu it goes to iDrive - skipping the Andream menu. Also interestingly enough if you push MEDIA from within Carplay it will bounce right back to the media menu in BMW iDrive.

Back Nudge - I would think if you nudge back it would go back 1 page but it goes back to the Andream Menu (with the three options).

Up Nudge - does nothing which it should since scrolling on the wheel is slow between menu hierarchy

Down Nudge - does nothing

Forward Nudge - Toggle between "now playing", Carplay Homescreen, and Carplay Icon Tiles. Usefully actually.

Back Button - would think it would go back one page but also just jumps straight to the Andream Menu

Option - I would think within Carplay this would go to Carplay Setting but it jumps to the settings of the Andream menu.

On the Steering Wheel - "Voice Command" on one push does not bring up Siri but brings up BMW Voice. If you hold it longer Siri pops ups and you can't talk to here though because the BMW lady is talking and trying to listen.....can this be coded off? No BMW voice command?

On Steering Wheel - even though I am using BT the scroll wheels will change tracks. The up push will go backwards and the down push will go forwards in to the next track. That seems backwards or upside down. Can this be fixed?

On Dash - the two arrows to skip track next to the presets work except for the forward arrow which will skip two songs when pushed. The back arrow works correctly and goes back 1 track.
I understand this is all trivial considering the screen is touch enabled but I don't like reaching and would just like the controller to work. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 04:47 AM   #61
spyro512
Rep
Drives: Mini F60

Does anybody know why is it only suitable for LHD?

Shouldn't it fit RHD anyways?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 11:18 PM   #62
BETA V1
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

There is a setting in the Andream unit where you select LHD or RHD. I have not tested it though.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 08:10 AM   #63
ragenitro6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i pre LCI

I ordered the 10.25" Andream unit for my 2017 F30 320i w/Entrynav

We are in for rain almost all week so probably won't get to install it until the weekend since I don't have a garage - but I'm excited to install this and get rid of my 6.5" OEM screen

My only initial concern is going to be the non-anti-glare screen - but I think if it's an issue, I had seen on some other posts somewhere that some were buying the 10.25" anti-glare 3-pack from Avin and those helped - so that will be my backup plan for now

From reading this thread, those that have the iDrive that doesn't display properly, you need to go into settings and pick the car 'closest to your configuration' and not paying attention if it starts with a different model number
i.e. I think the Andream says like F48_F49 6.5 or 8.8/10.25" etc - if you look at this youtube video it will show you what I mean if you go to the 21:00 minute mark

Hope this helps some others

I'll post after I get mine installed and advise what my experience is with it
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 08:19 AM   #64
trumani
United_States
Rep

Welcome to the club! The upgrade is totally worth it. I know I've been posting a few issues here and there, but I think the overall sentiment is that it's quite an upgrade. Mine is what seems like a rebranded Andream (also possible Andream is also rebranded)

I'll be curious to know what version of firmware/software yours has (1368 is the passcode). I tried reaching out to andream to simply ask what is the latest version, let alone ask for any sort of upgrade file, but they won't answer any of my questions without showing proof of purchase. If that type of thing matters to you, would appreciate sharing any info you find on firmware versions either upcoming or already released!
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragenitro6 View Post
I ordered the 10.25" Andream unit for my 2017 F30 320i w/Entrynav

We are in for rain almost all week so probably won't get to install it until the weekend since I don't have a garage - but I'm excited to install this and get rid of my 6.5" OEM screen

My only initial concern is going to be the non-anti-glare screen - but I think if it's an issue, I had seen on some other posts somewhere that some were buying the 10.25" anti-glare 3-pack from Avin and those helped - so that will be my backup plan for now

From reading this thread, those that have the iDrive that doesn't display properly, you need to go into settings and pick the car 'closest to your configuration' and not paying attention if it starts with a different model number
i.e. I think the Andream says like F48_F49 6.5 or 8.8/10.25" etc - if you look at this youtube video it will show you what I mean if you go to the 21:00 minute mark

Hope this helps some others

I'll post after I get mine installed and advise what my experience is with it
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 11:47 AM   #65
ragenitro6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumani View Post
Welcome to the club! The upgrade is totally worth it. I know I've been posting a few issues here and there, but I think the overall sentiment is that it's quite an upgrade. Mine is what seems like a rebranded Andream (also possible Andream is also rebranded)

I'll be curious to know what version of firmware/software yours has (1368 is the passcode). I tried reaching out to andream to simply ask what is the latest version, let alone ask for any sort of upgrade file, but they won't answer any of my questions without showing proof of purchase. If that type of thing matters to you, would appreciate sharing any info you find on firmware versions either upcoming or already released!
Cheers
Once it get it all installed I will post what version of firmware mine has

I did notice mine came w/a GPS antenna with a beige connector and there is a beige connection spot on the back of the display - I noticed the guy in the video didn't have that on his - but his was also an NBT Evo HU so he probably didn't need that - but I haven't seen any of the other ones that have had that to my recollection

I'm hoping I get a window of opportunity with all the rain in our forecast to do it before the weekend - because I'm anxious to install it lol
Fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:30 PM   #66
ragenitro6
Private First Class
Rep

Well I caught a break in rain and installed it after work this evening
Overall really pleased with it - it was beyond dark when I finished and was using my light on my phone to finish putting everything back together lol

Here's a quick crappy iphone pic

So far everything is working great with the limited time I messed with it, but OEM backup camera is working, wireless car play, nav on car play etc

App version: BMW-LZH-2021-03-21 19:49:20(7d7f0e1)

MCU version: 415199bLZH-NBT-HW7-210419[B1280]

OS version: BMW-LZH-d: 2021-04-06 18:48[c7bb9dc]

Here is exact link I got mine from
https://www.android-car-dvd.com/prod...33378247508104

Ordered on 7/20/21 and took 2 weeks to get here - got it yesterday from China on 8/2/21

I'll provide more detailed info after I mess around with it for a day or two
Attached Images

Last edited by ragenitro6; 08-03-2021 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
trumani10.50