F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Aftermarket XM Receiver Install Question
GetBMWParts

10-15-2021, 06:46 PM   #1
mcsweeto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M-Sport 435i xDrive (6MT)

I thought I had this figured out, but I might be a bit off and need some expert advice.

To deal with the unfortunate limitations of the Sirius radio in my car, I purchased a new SXM receiver and wired it up this afternoon. The radio claims it has good high and low band signal, but also complains something is wrong with the connection.

I installed a male to 2x female fakra splitter to intercept the pink connection going into the HU. One end of the splitter continues onto the HU, the other end connects to the XM receiver via a fakra male to smb adapter.

Is there something special about the pink fakra connection coming into the head unit that might not be suitable for a non-factory satellite tuner? Should I have tapped that wire somewhere further upstream?

Thanks

Edit: 07/2014 F32 NBT ID4

Update: I removed the splitter. The fakra/smb adapter that's plugged into the XM receiver is now directly plugged into the pink connector originally bound for the HU. In limited testing, all station info is coming in and no more complaints from the receiver about antenna connection issues. I've now orphaned a factory installed connection on the HU. Hopefully this only affects the Sirius service on the NBT, which I don't intend to use. I'll check codes tomorrow and see if anything shows up

Last edited by mcsweeto; 10-18-2021 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 0