F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Comparing all tuning options (price/hp/tq) for F30 N55
GetBMWParts

03-05-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
kingc0bra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Comparing all tuning options (price/hp/tq) for F30 N55

Sorry still a noob here, tried researching but couldn't find anything...

Is there a thread somewhere that lists out all the tuning options available to us and lists out the price, HP/TQ increases, warranty for each?

Also, are there different types of tunes? I.e. I've read some you have to splice into wires and some you don't...

Thanks

Past: '10 370Z Roadster, 06 G35coupe, 02 Mustang GT, 02 Focus SVT, 96 Probe GT
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
Dosturbos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F48 X1 MSport

Pretty easy to find all that info just digging around a little.

The MPPK gives you 35HP at the crank and 32ftlbs at the crank

Dinan claims 75HP at the crank and 80Tq at the crank.

Burger stage 1 gives about 40WHP and 50WTQ

You can stack some of these also, The MPPK is a flash and dinan and burger are both piggybacks.

Also adding other little naughty bits like intake, downpipes, exhaust, and intercooler are going to net you more gains.
Methanol and upgraded turbos even more.
Burger JB4 is a great solution as it adapts easily to new mods.

I literally found all this in 3 minutes utilizing this search engine called google.

Appreciate 3
      03-05-2015, 01:31 PM   #3
kingc0bra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosturbos View Post
Pretty easy to find all that info just digging around a little.

The MPPK gives you 35HP at the crank and 32ftlbs at the crank

Dinan claims 75HP at the crank and 80Tq at the crank.

Burger stage 1 gives about 40WHP and 50WTQ

You can stack some of these also, The MPPK is a flash and dinan and burger are both piggybacks.

Also adding other little naughty bits like intake, downpipes, exhaust, and intercooler are going to net you more gains.
Methanol and upgraded turbos even more.
Burger JB4 is a great solution as it adapts easily to new mods.

I literally found all this in 3 minutes utilizing this search engine called google.

Thanks

I actually was already aware of those 3 but was wondering if there was a comprehensive list of all that's available out there, I know there's more tuners out there.

Would be nice to have a list with price and gains.

Also, which ones are the ones where you have to splice into wires? I want to make sure I don't even look at those lol

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 01:58 PM   #4
Dosturbos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I know AFE makes a tune, there are others out there too, but the most mainstream tested tunes are the above 3 mentioned.
You can get two different versions of the Burger JB tune, just a stage one, which doesn't involve any splicing, or you can get the full on JB4 which involves the splicing but allows a wide range of flexibility for mods to the car.
It really all depends on who your dealer is and if they're mod friendly(if you're worried about voiding your warranty).
I had my JB4 installed by my dealer but I talked to a technician and a service manager there beforehand. Both youngish dudes like myself who like party when they drive.
Some people like their Dinan tunes, which for 2K seems like a lot of money. You don't get a warranty through BMW for their product. They promise not to blow your car up if you use their tune sort of deal type warranty.
If you mod your car, it's pay to play, so you know going into it if you blow up your motor you're on the hook for it. It really all depends on how cool your dealership is.
Bang for the buck, you're not going to beat the Burger tunes. They're also a great company who stands behind their products. It's easy to get support and customer service from Burger.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2015, 02:05 PM   #5
kingc0bra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosturbos View Post
I know AFE makes a tune, there are others out there too, but the most mainstream tested tunes are the above 3 mentioned.
You can get two different versions of the Burger JB tune, just a stage one, which doesn't involve any splicing, or you can get the full on JB4 which involves the splicing but allows a wide range of flexibility for mods to the car.
It really all depends on who your dealer is and if they're mod friendly(if you're worried about voiding your warranty).
I had my JB4 installed by my dealer but I talked to a technician and a service manager there beforehand. Both youngish dudes like myself who like party when they drive.
Some people like their Dinan tunes, which for 2K seems like a lot of money. You don't get a warranty through BMW for their product. They promise not to blow your car up if you use their tune sort of deal type warranty.
If you mod your car, it's pay to play, so you know going into it if you blow up your motor you're on the hook for it. It really all depends on how cool your dealership is.
Bang for the buck, you're not going to beat the Burger tunes. They're also a great company who stands behind their products. It's easy to get support and customer service from Burger.
Good info, thanks.

Problem with Burger tune is that it's not legal in Cali and they explicitly state they won't sell their tunes in cali (anymore?).

Makes me not want to risk it with them...

Have you heard of the Active Autowerke Active-8 tune? Thoughts on that?

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 04:29 PM   #6
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingc0bra View Post
Thanks

I actually was already aware of those 3 but was wondering if there was a comprehensive list of all that's available out there, I know there's more tuners out there.

Would be nice to have a list with price and gains.

Also, which ones are the ones where you have to splice into wires? I want to make sure I don't even look at those lol

Only Tune that will not touch wiring is "Flash". You could go Turbo/Piping upgrade if you're not interested in Piggyback...certainly not cheap tho.

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2015, 04:35 PM   #7
kingc0bra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
Only Tune that will not touch wiring is "Flash". You could go Turbo/Piping upgrade if you're not interested in Piggyback...certainly not cheap tho.
And the only flash tune is the MPPK?

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 05:13 PM   #8
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Good info, thanks.

Problem with Burger tune is that it's not legal in Cali and they explicitly state they won't sell their tunes in cali (anymore?).

Makes me not want to risk it with them...

Have you heard of the Active Autowerke Active-8 tune? Thoughts on that?
Only DINAN is CARB approved for California currently and the gains are on par with the BMS Stage1. The JB4 owns all of the F series N55 performance & dyno records and can be tuned from mild to wild depending on your specific needs.

Mike
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2015, 08:40 PM   #9
Dosturbos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think there are plenty of folks in CA rocking a burger piggyback of some kind, just because you can't buy it directly from them…I guess you could try the MPPK, as it is a legit flash from the dealer and will probably wake the car up a bit. You could also go the dinan route too. You should ask around the CA sub forum see what the locals are doing. Personally I would kill to be on the west coast, particularly soCal, despite the shitty 91Octane at the pump, you guys have lots of awesome tuners and performance shops out there who do some amazing things with BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 09:14 PM   #10
JoshVass
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i XD Alpine white

I'm planning on going the MPPK route and maybe stacking later on if I get bored or want more power
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 10:28 PM   #11
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Code:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz  

Quote:
And the only flash tune is the MPPK?
Well..........lots of rumors of the DME being hacked for aftermarket flash tuning via OBD. Only one I've seen for certain is MPPK.

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 10:45 AM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

MPPK flash tune that keeps your warranty ($2000)
Dinan piggy back that voids your BWM warranty but offer you the Dinan warranty instead (~$1000)
Jb stage 1 (you need to remove it before your dealership visit or else it will void you warranty , takes 10 minutes to remove stage 1 ) ($379)
Jb4 Complete piggyback tune with datalogging, code reading deleting, better boost control and power delivery than stage 1 ($479). ( if you are going FBO, this is the only option that has maps for catless Downpipes).
AFE piggyback comparable to the BMS stage 1 ($529)

In terms of power JB4 > Jb stage 1 ~ AFE > Dinan > MPPK

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
      03-10-2015, 03:27 PM   #13
kingc0bra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the info everyone, I think i'll look into the JB4 soon

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 09:29 AM   #14
Score04
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘23 BMW X3 M40i

MPPK is $2,000 and dinan is around $1000? Don't you mean that price is vice versa?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 09:36 AM   #15
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Score04 View Post
MPPK is $2,000 and dinan is around $1000? Don't you mean that price is vice versa?
MPPK is $1730 port installed. Dinan is $2000 plus install (About $300 at book rate).
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 12:20 PM   #16
ppll680
Rep
Drives: bmw 435i xdrive

stock intercooler 435i xdrive n55

can i run 400hp on stock intercooler

bmw 435i
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #17
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Not sure how the Dinan warranty works... still has to be under factory first?... and I've heard problems with them covering things... but saying that... your car is out of warranty... so in other words just flash it with MHD(easiest) BM3, etc.... and yes you have to upgrade the DP and FMIC for best results...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 11:21 PM   #18
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshVass View Post
I'm planning on going the MPPK route and maybe stacking later on if I get bored or want more power
My used car came with the MPPK. I would never pay that kind of money for what you are getting. MPPK only adds about +2psi of boost to the stock tune

JB+ is less than $200. Adjustable from 0 to +4psi. +3.5psi out of box. It's only a single connection at the TMAP sensor on the charge pipe that leads into the intake manifold, under the hood on the driver's side. You can remove it in 5 minutes with a small screwdriver to open the two plastic connectors.

JB Stage1 is about $379 plus $35 for Burger USB/serial cable if you want to connect to your laptop to adjust boost. Adjustable from 0 to +6psi of boost added to the stock tune. +3psi is the default out of the box. It's a plastic box with wires that connect to both the TMAP and the MAP sensors. The MAP sensor is located on top of the intake manifold about a foot above the TMAP sensor. The MAP sensor connection allows the JB Stage1 tune some additional control over the engine timing so I've been told that it runs smoother and with more power than the JB+. It's a little more involved to install and deinstall but I could probably do it on the side of the road in about 15-20 minutes assuming I had the correct tools with me. I'm in the process of writing up the step by step procedure and cheap Walmart tool list to keep in the trunk for myself right now. I'd be happy to share it.

JB4 is obviously the top level, most adjustable tune with logging and all kinds of cool stuff. It installs very much the same way as the JB Stage1, except uses more connections to engine sensors. So it's more involved to install and deinstall. Might be best to wait until BMW warranty expires.

One great thing is that there is an upgrade path from the JB+/JB Stage1 to the JB4. Give Mike at X-PH a call to ask about the details. He was extremely helpful when I had questions. Hope some of this helps!

Oh, and if you haven't spent money on an aftermarket intake, the least expensive but still effective thing that you can do is to replace the stock air filter with an aFe ProDry filter for about $85. It's a lifetime filter that you can clean yourself. Avoid any kind of oiled filter which will just gunk up the expensive sensors in your air intake system. I felt the HP difference as soon as I installed the aFe filter.

Last edited by johnung; 09-20-2018 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: added air filter info
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 12:00 AM   #19
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppll680 View Post

bmw 435i
I can't see how you are going to get your engine up to 400hp without swapping out the intercooler. There is zero labor cost in upgrading the intercooler since it has to be removed to upgrade the plastic charge pipe which is going to break with added boost. I did a lot of research on intercoolers since I wanted a very responsive unit with quick heat recovery for daily driving/street performance. I went with the Wagner Competition EVO1 which is a tube/fin design like the stock intercooler but with much more cooling capacity and less pressure loss. I have zero heat soak now even after many pulls in a row. The heavy bar & plate units are mostly designed for high rev track use.

To get to 400hp you are probably looking at upgrading:
Rear performance exhaust
Downpipe- catless (usually smells bad) or performance 200cel catted
Air intake & filter
Charge pipe & intercooler
High End Tune: JB4, BM3, MHD, etc
93 Octane- all tunes run better with higher octane. If you are in an area without access to 93 then you won't be able to get to 400hp unless you start talking about injection, etc.

Then you can start getting into springs, dampers, coil overs, sway bars, wheels, tires- all with their own caveats.

I've noticed that many people focus on the HP gains but ignore their brakes. The 335/435 typically have the four piston Brembo calipers in the front. But unless you have the blue M Sport brake calipers all around, then the rear brakes are only 1-piston calipers made by Bosch/ATE/etc. The car tends to dive upon braking. Increase the HP and that only makes the braking problem worse. Great solution is to find a set of rear blue Brembo 2-piston calipers and the correct rotors to go with them. Essentially this is the M Sport factory brake upgrade with slightly smaller rotors in the front. Just paint the calipers all whatever color you like with G2 Caliper paint. Instead of the front end diving upon braking, the entire car will squat evenly like it should. I also upgraded all of the pads to Hawk HPS 5.0. Great street pad with much better stopping than stock pads and less brake dust too.

Hope some of this helps!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 12:13 AM   #20
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Flash tune and run boostane 96 octane mix and appropriate map
Stepcore FMIC for street or heavy duty for track
forget the DP for now... not worth it in my opinion on 2014 and newer...unless you track the car.
Upgraded Charge Pipe

If the car isn't fast enough... go PS2 and new pump/ catless and be done with it at 500whp +/-

P.s. Love my Mbrakes...

Last edited by FastF30; 09-21-2018 at 12:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 01:16 AM   #21
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppll680 View Post

bmw 435i
Not without an upgraded turbo, downpipe and custom tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 02:44 AM   #22
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Patience better turbo setups than PS2 are coming out and will surpass the 400whp bench mark with ease. I would certainly recommend upgrading the FMIC to start with.

Go flash tune as well I’m hearing and seeing better results than jb4 hp and drivability wise.

Last edited by ceedawg; 09-22-2018 at 07:41 AM..
Appreciate 0