F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > How hard is it to retrofit pro nav?
Studio RSR

02-16-2016, 03:48 PM   #45
crazy-frog
Private
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal001 View Post
Just double checked it is for the NBT and includes

8.8" screen & cable
NBT computer
Standard controller
GPS antenna
Emulator

Coding fitting and apparently they code in the video in motion- which I wouldn't want or advocate.

How does that compare to buisiness or professional??

As I said toyed with the idea but then thought how much do I really want to spend on modding up / do I need it also do I want to put an old part in
That is very good, I just priced it up, with the armrest USB cable and glovebox USB I'm coming out at £583...

NBT Nav, 8.8" CID, iDrive Controller - £350
GPS Antenna - £5
Plug n Play harness - £123
NBT to CID cable - £22
Glovebox USB socket and lead - £30
Armrest NBT cable - £23
FSC Codes for maps - £30

That's with the aftermarket GPS antenna though.

Where do they route the antenna, the shark fin?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 03:50 PM   #46
crazy-frog
Private
Rep

Quote:

8.8" screen & cable
NBT computer
Standard controller
GPS antenna
Emulator

Coding fitting and apparently they code in the video in motion- which I wouldn't want or advocate.

As I said toyed with the idea but then thought how much do I really want to spend on modding up / do I need it also do I want to put an old part in
Have you got their details?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 04:04 PM   #47
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:

8.8" screen & cable
NBT computer
Standard controller
GPS antenna
Emulator

Is it for a European NBT system though (which doesn't have DAB)?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #48
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by meph137 View Post
Have you got their details?
vehicleinstallationsolutionsvehicleinstallationsol utions (258)
100% positive Feedback
Items for saleContact
Follow
We are the aftermarket accessories installation experts! please call us on 07969585292 Mon-Fri 0900 - 1730 Sat 1000 - 1300

Let me know how you get on - might be able to help with mirrors as well.
      02-16-2016, 04:14 PM   #49
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Is it for a European NBT system though (which doesn't have DAB)?
I'm assuming it is. Also looks like older I drive controller without writing recognition.

Might give them a shout to find out more and how much for one out of a newer car with dab and a free view tuner.
      02-16-2016, 04:18 PM   #50
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I'm assuming it is. Also looks like older I drive controller without writing recognition.

Might give them a shout to find out more and how much for one out of a newer car with dab and a free view tuner.
Doubt there'll be any with freeview tuner as nobody orders the TV option!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 04:18 PM   #51
crazy-frog
Private
Rep

Quote:

Whooaaa, wait a sec - freeview tuner?! I didn't know that was even an option!

Cheers for the details, will ring them up I rang Jason today, he's gonna give me some prices for various retrofits.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 04:25 PM   #52
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Doubt there'll be any with freeview tuner as nobody orders the TV option!
Quote:
Whooaaa, wait a sec - freeview tuner?! I didn't know that was even an option!

Cheers for the details, will ring them up I rang Jason today, he's gonna give me some prices for various retrofits.
Was available as an option but as Teaston said not widely taken up.

Believe they offer it as an option using non BMW parts which they can put into most/ all cars.

What upgrades are you looking at meph137??
      02-27-2016, 08:38 AM   #53
myszano1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f30

f30 NBT retrofit , no sound, trip computer not working

Hi.
Today Ihave cchanged my cd unit for NBT.
Installed are :
NBT
Screen 8"8
Controller.
Connected with emulator with harness.

Some features not working.
So far I discovered :
No sound at all
trip computer not working
rear parking distance (in donor car wac camera, I have only sensors)

I didn't tested all features, but Sat nav working
Bluetooth connection working but no sound
radio FM and dab ok, of course no sound
cd working

I didn't connect usb, coz probably I'll need to shave and rotate 180° plug.

Also I coded VO
I added codes 609 , 6AK, 6NS, 616
they are saved in FA.

When I read svt I have 3 errors. Please see pictures for details.

If anyone can help me with further coding, instructions, I'll be very grateful.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 05:16 PM   #54
litany
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 330dA M57NA

I had done several NBT retrofits on F series. I also flashing with latest firmware and prepare those units for required vin, Internet, bmw live, bmw apps available.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 05:34 PM   #55
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myszano1
Hi.
Installed are :
NBT
Screen 8"8
Controller.

So far I discovered :
No sound at all

cd working

Also I coded VO
they are saved in FA.

Best to ask shawnsheridan
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #56
clinton.white
Private
Rep
Drives: 328ise F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal027 View Post
vehicleinstallationsolutionsvehicleinstallationsol utions (258)
100% positive Feedback
Items for saleContact
Follow
We are the aftermarket accessories installation experts! please call us on 07969585292 Mon-Fri 0900 - 1730 Sat 1000 - 1300

Let me know how you get on - might be able to help with mirrors as well.
I have just had a reversing camera fitted by Neil at Vehicle Installation Solutions – he is based near Sutton Coldfield.
Neil certainly knows his stuff and the camera he fitted for me is totally like OEM and picture quality is absolutely excellent – all at a fraction of the cost of getting the BMW OEM retrofit done at a dealers.
I have no hesitation in recommending him – a great job at a good price and a very nice guy to deal with.
Appreciate 2
Kal1013105.00
x-m4n148.00
      09-12-2018, 06:23 PM   #57
SuhaibD98
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 M Sport 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
Ok, here is a condensed guide but only if you are coming from HU_Entry and do not have a Combox in your boot (which is required for the Enhanced Bluetooth option on HU_Entry).

This is assuming a RHD drive car (e.g. UK) and you can reference the other thread for pictures (for now). I have taken a video of this process so I will try and get that edited and uploaded at some point.

What you will need:

* T20 screwdriver - for removing all screws
* Flat ice scraper or simpler blunt edge - for removing bottom trim
* NBT Head unit. Must be for the F30 and not the F10 or any other car
* New NBT bigger screen
* External GPS Module specific for cars
* iDrive controller
* Navigation Emulator
* BMW ENET cable for coding
* Laptop for coding

I got a German NBT from a UK seller on eBay for about £650. It came with the NBT (no DAB), normal iDrive Nav controller (not touch), Screen, Screen cable and External GPS. This is the one I bought:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2213434292...84.m1439.l2649

Warning, if your car has a manufacturing date of 07/2013 or later it will not work with the normal iDrive Nav controller. It will only work with the newer iDrive Touch controllers so I had to source another. The reason for this is the newer cars without (and with) Nav come with a new controller that uses the K-CAN2 protocol which is what the Touch controller uses. The older iDrive Nav controllers are K-CAN1 and even though the cable is the same they are not compatible. You can use your original No Nav controller just fine with the NBT, it is missing a couple of buttons but you can always press the Menu button to get to those functions. I don't have the Touch functions working yet as that needs another module costing £52 that I am waiting delivery from BMW on.

The Navigation Emulator sits between the NBT and the car and tells the NBT that the VIN of the car is what is in the NBT and tells the car the VIN of the NBT is what is in the car. Without this the Navigation / Apps / Voice FSC codes on the NBT will not work and so these features will be disabled. You can also Flash the NBT with your cars VIN and then you won't need the Emulator but the FSC codes are much more expensive than the Emulator. Example Emulator:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3212768442...84.m1439.l2649

I bought an ENET cable from eBay for £25 but it was rubbish. Takes about 5 attempts to get it connected. I had these ones made up myself and they work first time every time (good fit):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2613889260...84.m1555.l2649

HU_Entry Removal

* First of all you need to remove the Dash trim. Very easy just pull up on the edge closest to the wheel and move across to the left. Once pulled away from dash there are just two connectors on the back that need pulling away then this piece came be put aside.
* Next you need to remove the bottom trim piece above the cup holder. I just used an ice scraper to pry the top away, takes seconds. Then unplug the little LED light cable holding it in place.
* Next you need to remove the air conditioning controls. Very simple, just unscrew the 4 x T20 screws in each corner then unplug the single connector on the back.
* Now you can see the HU_Entry in all it's glory, held in by another 2 x T20 screws. Remove those and pull the radio out

Now you are at the business end of the process where you need to disconnect and reconnect cables.

* Remove all the round FAKRA connectors on the back of the radio. There is a tab on them that you need to press to remove. These have just two connections, inner and outer pin
* Remove the HSD connections. These look like the FAKRA connections but they have multiple pins in the middle. The USB plug is one of these
* Remove the big radio harness connector. This is the big square one on the back. Just life the handle from the bottom and it pulls out

With that done, the HU_Entry can be removed. Now to remove the old screen.

* Unscrew the 2 x T20 screws on the bottom of the screen being careful not to lets the screws drop into the dash. Use a magnetic screwdriver
* Lift the screen up and feed the old screen cable out from the Dash

Installing the new screen:

* Insert the new pink screen cable to the new bigger screen
* Feed the screen cable behind the screen and into the dash. Feed the screen wire back down to where the NBT will be, there is plenty of space
* Push the screen down into the sockets for the two legs. These are not the original holes the smaller screen used but are already installed and are further forwards
* Screw the screen back in with the two screws

Installing the NBT:

* Reconnect all the Fakra connections to the same coloured connections on the NBT
* Reconnect all the HSD connections to the same coloured connections on the NBT, except the white USB one
* The White USB HSD is keyed differently and is one of the only tricky bits. You need to shave off the little sticky out bits that prevent this cable going in, then turn it 180 degrees and insert it into the NBT
* Plug the original square cable bundle from the HU_Entry into the socket on the Navigation Emulator
* Remove the black / green 2 wire MOST connector from the top corner of the square connector on your original square cable bundle. Be careful not to break this, there is a little tab at the top you just need to lift up with a flat screwdriver or your nails and it pops right out
* Insert this MOST cable into the same place in the other end of the Navigation Emulator which goes into the NBT.
* Plug the other end of the Navigation Emulator into the NBT and push the lever down until it snaps into place
* Feed the connector on your new GPS antenna through either the passenger or driver side vents (from the from) and down to the NBT. I used the top far left section of the passenger one
* Plug in your external GPS antenna to the NBT

You are almost there now. What I would do now is turn on your ignition and start the engine and check the NBT comes on. You will probably get no sound at this stage until the NBT has been coded for your car. The reason for this is the configured speaker system in the NBT may not match your car. For me I got nothing, but the NBT came on and worked. It would probably make sense to code the car at this stage so you can get the sound working before you reassemble. I'll summarise the coding tomorrow.

Putting it back together:

* Just a reverse of what you did.
* The Emulator needs to get out of the way of the NBT so you can push it back. I push the little black box down and below where the radio will sit and the other end of the cable down and to the right. Just find space out of the way behind the radio
* Push the NBT back into place and it should just go back easily without any force
* Secure the NBT using the top two holes and 2 x T20 screws the HU_Entry was using. The NBT has 4 screw holes but you don't have enough screws and it is very secure with only two.
* Plug back in the Air Con controls using the single plug then screw it back into place using the 4 x T20 screws you took out
* Plug in the two connectors to the big dash trim and reinsert the dash starting from the left and side and working your way right. Just push it and it clips back into place
* Secure the GPS cable. It can actually just be held by the edge of the screen. I then velcro'd the tiny module onto the Dash under the window

iDrive Controller (optional):

* Pull up the trim piece that the iDrive controller is seated in. There is a little gap at the base abutting the gear leaver controls. I just carefully prised a screw driver into that and lifted gently
* Once up, unplug the 4 pin connector from the old iDrive controller
* Remove the 3 x T20 screws holding it in and remove it
* Insert your new Nav controller and reinstall the three screws
* Clip the trim piece back into place

Remember the Touch functions will not work. I believe that needs an additional module with part number: 65829338800. I should have mine in about a week and will update this post with the info then.

So, it looks long and complicated but it really isn't and doesn't take all that long.
Hey!

My car is a 2014 model, can i use the nbt touch controller without purchasing a touch ecu?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #58
PixelVogue
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

is there any place that can the retro fit with parts?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 11:39 AM   #59
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuhaibD98 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
Ok, here is a condensed guide but only if you are coming from HU_Entry and do not have a Combox in your boot (which is required for the Enhanced Bluetooth option on HU_Entry).

This is assuming a RHD drive car (e.g. UK) and you can reference the other thread for pictures (for now). I have taken a video of this process so I will try and get that edited and uploaded at some point.

What you will need:

* T20 screwdriver - for removing all screws
* Flat ice scraper or simpler blunt edge - for removing bottom trim
* NBT Head unit. Must be for the F30 and not the F10 or any other car
* New NBT bigger screen
* External GPS Module specific for cars
* iDrive controller
* Navigation Emulator
* BMW ENET cable for coding
* Laptop for coding

I got a German NBT from a UK seller on eBay for about £650. It came with the NBT (no DAB), normal iDrive Nav controller (not touch), Screen, Screen cable and External GPS. This is the one I bought:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2213434292...84.m1439.l2649

Warning, if your car has a manufacturing date of 07/2013 or later it will not work with the normal iDrive Nav controller. It will only work with the newer iDrive Touch controllers so I had to source another. The reason for this is the newer cars without (and with) Nav come with a new controller that uses the K-CAN2 protocol which is what the Touch controller uses. The older iDrive Nav controllers are K-CAN1 and even though the cable is the same they are not compatible. You can use your original No Nav controller just fine with the NBT, it is missing a couple of buttons but you can always press the Menu button to get to those functions. I don't have the Touch functions working yet as that needs another module costing £52 that I am waiting delivery from BMW on.

The Navigation Emulator sits between the NBT and the car and tells the NBT that the VIN of the car is what is in the NBT and tells the car the VIN of the NBT is what is in the car. Without this the Navigation / Apps / Voice FSC codes on the NBT will not work and so these features will be disabled. You can also Flash the NBT with your cars VIN and then you won't need the Emulator but the FSC codes are much more expensive than the Emulator. Example Emulator:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3212768442...84.m1439.l2649

I bought an ENET cable from eBay for £25 but it was rubbish. Takes about 5 attempts to get it connected. I had these ones made up myself and they work first time every time (good fit):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2613889260...84.m1555.l2649

HU_Entry Removal

* First of all you need to remove the Dash trim. Very easy just pull up on the edge closest to the wheel and move across to the left. Once pulled away from dash there are just two connectors on the back that need pulling away then this piece came be put aside.
* Next you need to remove the bottom trim piece above the cup holder. I just used an ice scraper to pry the top away, takes seconds. Then unplug the little LED light cable holding it in place.
* Next you need to remove the air conditioning controls. Very simple, just unscrew the 4 x T20 screws in each corner then unplug the single connector on the back.
* Now you can see the HU_Entry in all it's glory, held in by another 2 x T20 screws. Remove those and pull the radio out

Now you are at the business end of the process where you need to disconnect and reconnect cables.

* Remove all the round FAKRA connectors on the back of the radio. There is a tab on them that you need to press to remove. These have just two connections, inner and outer pin
* Remove the HSD connections. These look like the FAKRA connections but they have multiple pins in the middle. The USB plug is one of these
* Remove the big radio harness connector. This is the big square one on the back. Just life the handle from the bottom and it pulls out

With that done, the HU_Entry can be removed. Now to remove the old screen.

* Unscrew the 2 x T20 screws on the bottom of the screen being careful not to lets the screws drop into the dash. Use a magnetic screwdriver
* Lift the screen up and feed the old screen cable out from the Dash

Installing the new screen:

* Insert the new pink screen cable to the new bigger screen
* Feed the screen cable behind the screen and into the dash. Feed the screen wire back down to where the NBT will be, there is plenty of space
* Push the screen down into the sockets for the two legs. These are not the original holes the smaller screen used but are already installed and are further forwards
* Screw the screen back in with the two screws

Installing the NBT:

* Reconnect all the Fakra connections to the same coloured connections on the NBT
* Reconnect all the HSD connections to the same coloured connections on the NBT, except the white USB one
* The White USB HSD is keyed differently and is one of the only tricky bits. You need to shave off the little sticky out bits that prevent this cable going in, then turn it 180 degrees and insert it into the NBT
* Plug the original square cable bundle from the HU_Entry into the socket on the Navigation Emulator
* Remove the black / green 2 wire MOST connector from the top corner of the square connector on your original square cable bundle. Be careful not to break this, there is a little tab at the top you just need to lift up with a flat screwdriver or your nails and it pops right out
* Insert this MOST cable into the same place in the other end of the Navigation Emulator which goes into the NBT.
* Plug the other end of the Navigation Emulator into the NBT and push the lever down until it snaps into place
* Feed the connector on your new GPS antenna through either the passenger or driver side vents (from the from) and down to the NBT. I used the top far left section of the passenger one
* Plug in your external GPS antenna to the NBT

You are almost there now. What I would do now is turn on your ignition and start the engine and check the NBT comes on. You will probably get no sound at this stage until the NBT has been coded for your car. The reason for this is the configured speaker system in the NBT may not match your car. For me I got nothing, but the NBT came on and worked. It would probably make sense to code the car at this stage so you can get the sound working before you reassemble. I'll summarise the coding tomorrow.

Putting it back together:

* Just a reverse of what you did.
* The Emulator needs to get out of the way of the NBT so you can push it back. I push the little black box down and below where the radio will sit and the other end of the cable down and to the right. Just find space out of the way behind the radio
* Push the NBT back into place and it should just go back easily without any force
* Secure the NBT using the top two holes and 2 x T20 screws the HU_Entry was using. The NBT has 4 screw holes but you don't have enough screws and it is very secure with only two.
* Plug back in the Air Con controls using the single plug then screw it back into place using the 4 x T20 screws you took out
* Plug in the two connectors to the big dash trim and reinsert the dash starting from the left and side and working your way right. Just push it and it clips back into place
* Secure the GPS cable. It can actually just be held by the edge of the screen. I then velcro'd the tiny module onto the Dash under the window

iDrive Controller (optional):

* Pull up the trim piece that the iDrive controller is seated in. There is a little gap at the base abutting the gear leaver controls. I just carefully prised a screw driver into that and lifted gently
* Once up, unplug the 4 pin connector from the old iDrive controller
* Remove the 3 x T20 screws holding it in and remove it
* Insert your new Nav controller and reinstall the three screws
* Clip the trim piece back into place

Remember the Touch functions will not work. I believe that needs an additional module with part number: 65829338800. I should have mine in about a week and will update this post with the info then.

So, it looks long and complicated but it really isn't and doesn't take all that long.
Hey!

My car is a 2014 model, can i use the nbt touch controller without purchasing a touch ecu?
If your car is KCAN2 you can just use the controller but the handwriting part won't work.

Best of chucking your vin into realoem and see if the controller was able available for you build date.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #60
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myszano1 View Post
Hi.
Installed are :
NBT
Screen 8"8
Controller.

So far I discovered :
No sound at all

cd working

Also I coded VO
they are saved in FA.

No sound? Did you move the MOST cable into the emulators quadlock?

Another thing to check is if you had a combox? If so did you disconnect the MOST from the combox using a MOST Loop?

Last edited by kitster; 11-12-2018 at 05:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 04:08 PM   #61
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelVogue View Post
is there any place that can the retro fit with parts?

See two posts above yours

There was a guy on here Vorph but some plonker got him banned.

Look up Bavarian Coding.
      11-13-2018, 03:03 AM   #62
r654321
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 2015 335d xDrive

When I was doing my reversing camera retrofit I wasn't getting steering wheel controls working until I moved the green cables from the original connector into the back of the new quadlock. I think I had audio (can't remember tbh) but maybe it's a similar issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 03:06 AM   #63
r654321
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 2015 335d xDrive

Can't work out how to get pics in the correct order but;

Bottom pic. Original car connector

Middle pic. New Quadlock

Top pic. The green cables which were the issue.

Easy to remove from the old connector with a long thin small bladed screwdriver
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 06:26 AM   #64
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r654321 View Post
Can't work out how to get pics in the correct order but;

Bottom pic. Original car connector

Middle pic. New Quadlock

Top pic. The green cables which were the issue.

Easy to remove from the old connector with a long thin small bladed screwdriver
The black ribbed/green cable is the MOST cable. The sound is transmitted on it.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 01:23 PM   #65
Jay928S4GT
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 928s4 GT, GC6

Quote:
That is very good, I just priced it up, with the armrest USB cable and glovebox USB I'm coming out at £583...

NBT Nav, 8.8" CID, iDrive Controller - £350
GPS Antenna - £5
Plug n Play harness - £123
NBT to CID cable - £22
Glovebox USB socket and lead - £30
Armrest NBT cable - £23
FSC Codes for maps - £30

That's with the aftermarket GPS antenna though.

Where do they route the antenna, the shark fin?
Hi, did you successfully install everything?
Br
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 10:55 PM   #66
rudigrr
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Xdrive F31

So I've decided to retrofit my 15 F31 with the factory nav. So far I've purchased the 8.8" screen, the head unit with nav, the touch controller and idrive controller box, along with the y cable for the idrive controller.

I have the 6.5" with enhanced bluetooth. There's alot of scattered information from what I've seen, and I have a few questions.

Do I need an emulator?

Do I need additional parts since I have the enhanced bluetooth?

Should I look into buying the shark fin gps antenna? Or will an aftermarket installed in the dash work just as well?

Is there anything I'm missing?

I've ordered an enet cable, and currently looking for a windows laptop.
Appreciate 0