F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Ticket for loud exhaust
GetBMWParts

09-14-2018, 11:17 PM   #1
WillSkill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 335i

Garage List
Ticket for loud exhaust

I just got pulled over for my car being too loud. I live in a small rural city around upstate NY, and was driving home from a friends house around 10:30pm. I was being extra careful not to speed because the area I was in is known for having plenty of cops.

That's when I see the cops lights come up from behind me. I was totally confused as to why I got pulled over until he said "that exhaust isn't stock is it?"

I hesitated a bit and answered that is wasn't stock, as that is the truth. I have a catless DP and akrapovic catback exhaust.

He gave me a fixit ticket and I have 24 hours to fix it and show proof to the court for charges to be dropped.

Over all this really sucks. Just wondering if you guys have had similar experiences?

I'm planning to switch to a catted DP, and keep the akra exhaust as that isn't too loud. What do you guys think?

Ps. I guess modding is pay to play
2013 Alpine White 335i -M Sport/// Akrapovic Catback Exhaust/// KW Street Comfort Coilovers/// BMS intake/// JB4/// ER front mount intercooler/// ER Charge pipe/// ER catless downpipe/// 18" Apex Arc-8 in Anthracite/// Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 11:18 PM   #2
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Did he take a decibel reading or something?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 11:57 PM   #3
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

Sucks man, those small town cops have nothing better to do

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 12:42 AM   #4
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

24 hours is crazy to have parts ordered and installed. You should be good once you drop the catless DP as the Akrapovic should be street legal in terms of decibels. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 02:30 AM   #5
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSkill View Post
I hesitated a bit and answered that is wasn't stock, as that is the truth.
Well if it's over the legal limit it's illegal.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 03:18 AM   #6
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

This where I have to draw the line and say that's an absurd charge. I don't care what stupid law was passed outlawing certain exhausts. This is a stark example of legislators and law enforcement that is spinning out of control. Clearly some folks are voting for the wrong candidates, and in some municipalities, there are too many law enforcement officials on the payroll if they can afford to take the time to harass people over their exhausts.

When enforcing a law results in harassing otherwise normal, well meaning citizens, there's a serious problem. I recognize that police officers have a difficult and often dangerous job, and I'm grateful for their service, but when people are forced to appear in court because their 3 series was too loud, people should be alarmed and take notice. Maybe you're like me, and have no intention of modifying your stock exhaust, but tomorrow it might be your lifestyle, hobbies, or interests that attract the scrutiny of some legislator some where looking for a pet project.
Appreciate 6
      09-15-2018, 04:29 AM   #7
pjkbrit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i 6MT ZHP

Ridiculous.... but hey... bikers with no mufflers always get a pass right?
Appreciate 8
      09-15-2018, 08:38 AM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Freedom to do what you like doesn't include intruding on the freedom of others not having to listen to your loud pipes. But the cop didn't get it right. New York doesn't prohibit exhaust modifications, so long as the car still meets inspection and noise level requirements. The fact that your exhaust isn't stock doesn't automatically mean that you're not within the letter of the law, and it's up to the cop to prove it. Take it to court. Without the necessary hard evidence it will get tossed. You might want to get a lawyer, but you may not need to. The ticket should list the specific statute that you supposedly violated. Look up that statute and make a copy of it as defense exhibit A. If the ticket does not list the statute in question that alone will get the charges dismissed.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 09:35 AM   #9
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

OP: Fight the Power.

Good luck!
Appreciate 2
      09-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #10
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSkill View Post
I just got pulled over for my car being too loud. I live in a small rural city around upstate NY, and was driving home from a friends house around 10:30pm. I was being extra careful not to speed because the area I was in is known for having plenty of cops.

That's when I see the cops lights come up from behind me. I was totally confused as to why I got pulled over until he said "that exhaust isn't stock is it?"

I hesitated a bit and answered that is wasn't stock, as that is the truth. I have a catless DP and akrapovic catback exhaust.

He gave me a fixit ticket and I have 24 hours to fix it and show proof to the court for charges to be dropped.

Over all this really sucks. Just wondering if you guys have had similar experiences?

I'm planning to switch to a catted DP, and keep the akra exhaust as that isn't too loud. What do you guys think?

Ps. I guess modding is pay to play
Should have lied and said it was. He would have to test using decibel and such. Always deny till proven otherwise. I wasn't ever pulled over, but I was parked at a Walmart once and was getting out of my car and a cop car pulled up and ask if my car is stock and if it's normal for it to be that loud, told him yes it came with the performance package of the car and smiled and he said oh ok smiled with his buddy and left.
cjack29.50
      09-15-2018, 10:12 AM   #11
5ilver-5amurai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

That sucks - 24 hours is definitely not enough time either.

Granted, if someone's car is stupid loud then they probably do deserve a ticket, but I've never seen an F30/F32 actually that annoyingly loud. Most of the fart-boxes I've seen that are actually that loud are old modded civics and imprezas.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 10:40 AM   #12
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
That's ridiculous! I hear all these horror stories about people getting tickets for exhaust, being low, tint, camber, lights and other dumb things. Do these cops up north have nothing better to do? I live in the panhandle of florida and have never ever heard of such a thing. I had a slammed straight piped jetta with the darkest tint in the world and only ever got compliments from officers, NOT tickets. Are we going to have to start a cars are not a crime campaign? geez.
BootMod3 stage 2 93 octane AGG| K&N Drop In| Turner Motorsports Intercooler| BMS Catchcan| FTP Chargepipe & TIC| MST Turbo Intake Pipe| CW Catless Downpipe| BAV Coils| KW DDC Coilovers| Active Autowerke Exhaust| CF Mirrors| CF Spoiler| Rohana RFX11| Black Painted Roof| @instagram.com/fastactionjax/
@youtube.com/fastactionjax/
Appreciate 1
Breezin20.00
      09-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #13
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

oh no, soon the police will pull over kids on their bicycles that put a baseball card on their spokes to make the 'exhaust' louder and cool.. what is this world coming to lol
Appreciate 3
akf30119.50
Fr3sh29.50
      09-15-2018, 11:48 AM   #14
Breezin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 335I XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastActionJax View Post
That's ridiculous! I hear all these horror stories about people getting tickets for exhaust, being low, tint, camber, lights and other dumb things. Do these cops up north have nothing better to do? I live in the panhandle of florida and have never ever heard of such a thing. I had a slammed straight piped jetta with the darkest tint in the world and only ever got compliments from officers, NOT tickets. Are we going to have to start a cars are not a crime campaign? geez.
No they don't...Basically if you live up north in New England they have nothing better to do besides harass drivers. Low crime rate (at least lower than most states), terrible economy, and expensive living. You'd think they would take it easy on people but they hammer away, VT just had our whole inspection statue revised due to so many cars not passing inspections and getting pulled over. Now i can get my car inspected with any amount of front tint, and i believe they extended the time to get an inspection from 14 days after expiration to 30 days after. Traffic court rooms used to be jam packed, not sure how they are now since i haven't gotten a ticket in 8 years (knock on wood).

I don't understand how motorcycles can be loud as hell, and a 3 series bmw gets a ticket even with a catless DP and exhaust. Can't tell you how many times i've had my music all the way up in my car and a bike comes flying by, screaming like a damn fighter jet, and scares the living hell out of me. That to me is dangerous, and should be a ticket!
      09-15-2018, 11:57 AM   #15
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Whining about it might make you feel good but there are a lot of stupid laws on the books. They vary from location to location & you have to be willing to take the hit if you want to play where you live.

Pulling the cats is also a violation of fed & state tampering regulations thats why he most likely hit with a quick fix ticket. The noise gave him probable cause to pull you over.

You can win with a not guilty on noise without a sound check but they still have you on the cat removal so you lose.

As for stupid laws or at least conflicting laws my COBRA is street legal headers to straight side pipes in NC. If I pull the cat on my 440 I fail inspection & am subject to a "tampering" ticket.

https://youtu.be/_fJysY168Zk

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 12:35 PM   #16
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezin View Post
No they don't...Basically if you live up north in New England they have nothing better to do besides harass drivers. Low crime rate (at least lower than most states), terrible economy, and expensive living. You'd think they would take it easy on people but they hammer away, VT just had our whole inspection statue revised due to so many cars not passing inspections and getting pulled over. Now i can get my car inspected with any amount of front tint, and i believe they extended the time to get an inspection from 14 days after expiration to 30 days after. Traffic court rooms used to be jam packed, not sure how they are now since i haven't gotten a ticket in 8 years (knock on wood).

I don't understand how motorcycles can be loud as hell, and a 3 series bmw gets a ticket even with a catless DP and exhaust. Can't tell you how many times i've had my music all the way up in my car and a bike comes flying by, screaming like a damn fighter jet, and scares the living hell out of me. That to me is dangerous, and should be a ticket!
This is absolutely ridiculous to me, We have a drug epidemic in this country and kids are dying left and right from opiate overdoses in bathrooms and in their homes and cops are wasting their time giving tickets for tint and exhaust and your absolutely right. My bike is 10x louder than any car I've put an exhaust on (I didnt think about that). I remember watching a video a few years back of the big car show you guys put on up there in New England and the whole video was of people having to dip out from the cops because of camber, exhaust and the all the other stuff we've mentioned. Why host a custom car show in town and bust everyones balls? Especially when said event brings tons of revenue to the town. its unfair that I can do it and you cant. ridiculous.
BootMod3 stage 2 93 octane AGG| K&N Drop In| Turner Motorsports Intercooler| BMS Catchcan| FTP Chargepipe & TIC| MST Turbo Intake Pipe| CW Catless Downpipe| BAV Coils| KW DDC Coilovers| Active Autowerke Exhaust| CF Mirrors| CF Spoiler| Rohana RFX11| Black Painted Roof| @instagram.com/fastactionjax/
@youtube.com/fastactionjax/
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 01:49 PM   #17
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
I'm sorry... but these are cars are far from loud... you got profiled....
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 02:15 PM   #18
tsm007
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 328xi  [10.00]
2003 Honda CBR954RR  [0.00]
These small town cops have nothing better to do. They're just trying to make their quota, even if it means giving bogus tickets. I'd just take the hit for now & not drive through that town if possible. If it's not loud exhaust, maybe they'll get you for tints, or whatever they can think of.
If you do decide to go to court most likely they won't even drop the ticket. Just say they do drop the ticket, you're still paying court fees. It's a really corrupt system.
      09-15-2018, 02:16 PM   #19
tsm007
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 328xi  [10.00]
2003 Honda CBR954RR  [0.00]
Quote:
This is absolutely ridiculous to me, We have a drug epidemic in this country and kids are dying left and right from opiate overdoses in bathrooms and in their homes and cops are wasting their time giving tickets for tint and exhaust and your absolutely right. My bike is 10x louder than any car I've put an exhaust on (I didnt think about that). I remember watching a video a few years back of the big car show you guys put on up there in New England and the whole video was of people having to dip out from the cops because of camber, exhaust and the all the other stuff we've mentioned. Why host a custom car show in town and bust everyones balls? Especially when said event brings tons of revenue to the town. its unfair that I can do it and you cant. ridiculous.
This is the easiest way the PD makes money. It's not surprising.
      09-15-2018, 02:17 PM   #20
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
That sucks. This is where it pays off to keep stock parts.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 02:31 PM   #21
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
The Northeast is not car friendly at all & the local laws just reflect that attitude.

To them strict enforcement of numerous anti-car regulations has the extra benefit of being a revenue enhancer for the local jurisdiction.

General idea of how far apart we are. I run a 1965 Black & Yellow COYOTE license plate on rear my car (we are a one plate state)

My real 2018 license plate, an Antique Auto, is carried in the trunk with the cars paper work. On a reproduction home built I can register it as the year of the original & run a tag of that year as long as I carry the state issued plate in the car. No emissions requirements, no annual state inspection & reduced annual car property tax.

Friends up in Jersey are jumping through all kinds of expensive state regulation hoops including full 2018 emissions compliance & annual inspections just to get their cars registered.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 2
tsm00764.50
otay826.00
      09-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #22
That340i
Im real pressed.
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i X-Drive

Sorry OP that sucks! Since we moved back to North Carolina (Temporarily again) I've noticed how once again things are super different here, no wonder my family refuses to move away since the cops here basically let you get away with anything car related like tint,exhaust,music etc....(excluding speeding). Im gonna hate it we move back to Cali...And since our cars have Cali plates (and are filthy) we get more "Attention" from other driver's and cop's. Hopefully I won't be pulled over for my tint here although It was Illegal back in Cali but the difference is the tint limit is 35% here and nobody in my family has 35% they have 30% 25% or 15%. And I have 15% so hopefully (Fingers Crossed) I wont get a fixit ticket.