F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Boxing
Studio RSR

12-05-2019, 11:04 AM   #1
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Boxing

I can't recall if we have much in the way of boxing fans on here.

If so, obviously Saturday night's Saudi Arabia offering should make for good entertainment. Quite happy that time differences mean it's a good time for the UK market who have otherwise been left to rot by not having the fight on home soil.

50/50 on the result for me - all down to whether AJ really was having an off-day at MSG in June. (I watched it in Las Vegas bizarrely).

Povetkin v Hunter is a good one for the undercard and Dillian Whyte always good value. So, not a bad card.

I'm being chopped up by the surgeon tomorrow so will be watching it at home as opposed to the pub - but will enjoy it with some beer and curry.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      12-05-2019, 11:12 AM   #2
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Hate boxing, think its barbaric, and the amounts of money they get obscene.

But good luck with the surgery tomorrow and enjoy the beer and curry.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #3
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I like boxing from the point of view it's the ultimate sporting test in terms of fitness and skill and heart, but I don't like a lot of the nasty talk before hand and of course sometimes people pay a heavy price for being in the ring.

99 times out of 100 though they are respectful and embrace afterwards so I know it's all just a game beforehand but it leaves a mad taste in my mouth, really don't like MMA stuff though I think it's a pub brawl in a ring and very distasteful IMHO.

I hope AJ wins but whatever happens he's set for life now so well done him.

Last edited by Wills2; 12-05-2019 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
RustyBitz1573.50
      12-05-2019, 01:23 PM   #4
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

I didn't see the MSG fight live but did watch the recent fly on the wall documentary a few nights ago.

AJ looked completely bewildered, not just from the initial punch behind his temple, but also at the realisation that he had completely lost control of the fight. His self-belief had completely deserted him.

Respect to Andy Ruiz for taking the first fight at short notice and being completely unfazed, but I hope AJ returns to form with an emphatic win.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I hope AJ does win, I was listening to an interview with him the other day and hes confident as you would expect but not a well end like alot of them are which is good.

Having done some basic boxing training many moons ago I think those guys are some of the fittest athletes in the world. It is knackering anyway and then add somebody trying to clump you one, it's a killer!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 01:53 AM   #6
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
Boxing fan here

Really looking forward to the fight tomorrow.

The build up has been fantastic we're on for a good show and for once the undercard is actually decent.

Anyone else interested to she how Dillian performs?

Couple of shots of the boxing I have been lucky enough to attend a few years ago.
Attached Images

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 1
Wills28647.00
      12-06-2019, 03:22 AM   #7
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

I saw Lewis fight Grant in Madison square gardens back in 2000, that was a great night just to be there and soak it all up.
      12-06-2019, 06:16 AM   #8
rokut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cosmic EP3 Type R

Yep, boxing and MMA fan here. Into MMA earlier than boxing and been following local MMA and UFC since around 2005. Slowly been getting more into boxing the last few years.

AJ/ Ruiz - I think AJ looks better, more suited to the style of Ruiz (leaner, less bulky and hopefully quicker on his feet and with his punches) but I really don't know if he has the true boxing flair/IQ or the mental strength to beat the likes of Ruiz/ Wilder/ Fury. I have a feeling Ruiz is going to retain on Saturday and really looking forward to it.
Povetkin is usually a decent watch with his lunging moves and Dillian is a brawler, so undercard bound to be entertaining.

I can fully understand why people on the outside of MMA look at it and think it's an ugly 'sport' and has no place in mainstream sport reporting/ viewing. BUT it has come a long way from where it started, the competitors are generally much more athletic these days and are legitimately incredible sports people and once you get over the ensuing blood (there's gonna be plenty with elbows, knees and small gloves) the battles are genuinely intriguing.

Anyway - back to Saturday - looking forward to it! Think Ruiz will take it. AJ needs to take a proper break. And I'd love to see Fury beat Wilder in Feb and Ruiz to take on Fury after that. We shall see!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 10:15 AM   #9
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Just watched a bit of the weigh in Ruiz looks very relaxed, AJ looks less muscle bound/pumped up than I've seen him before which is probably a good thing?
      12-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #10
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Just watched a bit of the weigh in Ruiz looks very relaxed, AJ looks less muscle bound/pumped up than I've seen him before which is probably a good thing?
Yeah he definitely looks leaner this time round which I guess means he should be a little quicker

Ruiz still looks like the little fat kids, but clearly looks are deceiving
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 10:23 AM   #11
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchoa View Post
Yeah he definitely looks leaner this time round which I guess means he should be a little quicker

Just think one punch from Ruiz and everything would go black we'd be sparked out, lucky to wake up.
      12-06-2019, 11:52 AM   #12
R0B
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokut View Post
Yep, boxing and MMA fan here. Into MMA earlier than boxing and been following local MMA and UFC since around 2005. Slowly been getting more into boxing the last few years.

AJ/ Ruiz - I think AJ looks better, more suited to the style of Ruiz (leaner, less bulky and hopefully quicker on his feet and with his punches) but I really don't know if he has the true boxing flair/IQ or the mental strength to beat the likes of Ruiz/ Wilder/ Fury. I have a feeling Ruiz is going to retain on Saturday and really looking forward to it.
Povetkin is usually a decent watch with his lunging moves and Dillian is a brawler, so undercard bound to be entertaining.

I can fully understand why people on the outside of MMA look at it and think it's an ugly 'sport' and has no place in mainstream sport reporting/ viewing. BUT it has come a long way from where it started, the competitors are generally much more athletic these days and are legitimately incredible sports people and once you get over the ensuing blood (there's gonna be plenty with elbows, knees and small gloves) the battles are genuinely intriguing.

Anyway - back to Saturday - looking forward to it! Think Ruiz will take it. AJ needs to take a proper break. And I'd love to see Fury beat Wilder in Feb and Ruiz to take on Fury after that. We shall see!
AJ is coming to box this time so I think he'll be using every last bit of range and jab. But I do actually believe in what the Ruiz camp have said about their specific training for his style.

It's a real hard one to call. I'm not fussed on AJ winning just because he's a Brit - Ruiz has been massively generous with his new wealth and is a big country and community man.

I'm not widely into the conspiracy theories but no doubt the Saudi's would like AJ to win to keep Hearn on side. So I'd fear a points decision to be totally honest.

Dillion will win - he's on a point-making exercise so it'll have been a scrutinised decision opponent wise.

Hunter Povetkin will be a great one.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 01:30 PM   #13
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

I think Ruiz is pretty good, but over hyped from the last fight. I think a bad night from Joshua made him look better than he is. His "heavy hands" haven't knocked many people out as he moved up to the better fighters. Quite a few went the distance and were decisions.

Joshua is better than he's given credit for, too many saying he can't box, he hasn't achieved all he has by being a bad boxer.

Lewis lost a few fights and avenged all of them. I'd be surprised if he doesn't do the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 04:42 AM   #14
R0B
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Just think one punch from Ruiz and everything would go black we'd be sparked out, lucky to wake up.
I feel like I've taken one today after being chopped up yesterday! Send grapes and Macallan 18
Appreciate 1
Wills28647.00
      12-07-2019, 08:26 AM   #15
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Yep....I do think it wouldnt take long to hit the canvas.

I just cant believe his build and shape though.....he’s clearly fit, but just looks likes he’s a had few beers and kebabs too many
Appreciate 1
Wills28647.00
      12-07-2019, 08:31 AM   #16
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:

I just cant believe his build and shape though.....he’s clearly fit, but just looks likes he’s a had few beers and kebabs too many
I'd throw myself at the canvas as the bell rang. Yes you'd think that he wouldn't have the fitness to go through a 12 round bout perhaps if AJ can stay away from him that might be the key to winning?

Ruiz comes across as a really nice guy, I noticed at the weigh in when they "face off" he broke off first with a smile and a hand shake.
      12-07-2019, 08:36 AM   #17
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B View Post
I feel like I've taken one today after being chopped up yesterday! Send grapes and Macallan 18
Would some swollen plumbs be ok? Or do have them already....
      12-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #18
R0B
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Would some swollen plumbs be ok? Or do have them already....
The op was on my ears - but the pain is in my throat from the tubes, and bizarrely my neck and shoulders feel like they've had a massage from Mike Tyson.

Putting off the 'other' procedure... just making sure I am in the right direction in the interim
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 11:57 AM   #19
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I just cant believe his build and shape though.....he's clearly fit, but just looks likes he's a had few beers and kebabs too many
I'd throw myself at the canvas as the bell rang. Yes you'd think that he wouldn't have the fitness to go through a 12 round bout perhaps if AJ can stay away from him that might be the key to winning?

Ruiz comes across as a really nice guy, I noticed at the weigh in when they "face off" he broke off first with a smile and a hand shake.
Hahaha, I would run around the ring and then throw in the towel. Undercards are bloody awful fights so far.

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 1
Wills28647.00
      12-07-2019, 01:45 PM   #20
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Bloody hell, Hunter doesn't mess around. That first round.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 02:31 PM   #21
R0B
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBitz View Post
Commentary very biased - Povetkin is tough as nails.
Appreciate 2
RustyBitz1573.50
rokut398.00
      12-07-2019, 02:33 PM   #22
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBitz View Post
Commentary very biased - Povetkin is tough as nails.
Agreed didn't think that was a draw though.

Appreciate 0