F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Remus Catback Installed
Studio RSR

01-09-2018, 07:29 AM   #1
jtbazz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Remus Catback Installed

I just installed a Remus catback on my 340i and it sounds incredible. I will post a sound clip when the weather gets better. I can tell you the videos I have watched on you tube trying to capture the Remus sound do not capture it. Much different than any sound clips I have watched, exhaust is much, much better in person (at least to my ears).

My question is, hearing how amazing this exhaust sounds why are manufacturers making their OEM standard exhausts as quiet as possible and then pumping fake sound into the cabin....it makes no sense to me. By trying to create a fake sound to pump in to the drivers, they are acknowledging its a sound people want to hear. A nice exhaust like Remus, Dinan or M-Performance isn't obnoxious in the sense you are waking up neighbors by starting your car....My point is, skip the money in researching how to create a "nice" fake sound to pump into the cabin and let folks hear their engines. Rant complete!

Well anyway, on to the Remus. The sound is absolutely beautiful. I find myself turning off the stereo and just listening to the exhaust. It has a very nice deep warm and throaty tone and is insane in sport mode under acceleration. I went with the catback rather than the axle back and couldn't be happier with the choice.

Also, the quality of the exhaust and tips is amazing.

Props to Mike at Extreme Power House for helping me with my decision and for the great transaction.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 09:09 AM   #2
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

How's the install to the existing pipes? Weld or clamp?

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #3
jtbazz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
How's the install to the existing pipes? Weld or clamp?
Clamp. Everything from the cat back fit perfect!

Last edited by jtbazz; 01-09-2018 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #4
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Glad you like it! Test drive a 335 with one on. Sounded pretty badass but I didn't like the quad tips on that one car I drove though. Would have been perfect at dual imo.
      01-09-2018, 10:35 AM   #5
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I think I speak for most when I say

may be a video with sound too!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 10:40 AM   #6
jtbazz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37psi View Post
I think I speak for most when I say

may be a video with sound too!
It has been -10 with windchill here and not real fun to go make a video in. As said above I will add video shortly, haha. Weather is finally breaking
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13346.00
      01-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #7
435MSport6Speed
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport 6 Speed

Always wanted a Remus. Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #8
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

Interesting, how would you say the sound is in comparison to the M Performance exhaust?

My buddy installed a Remus dual exhaust on his car (320...) and side by side my MP exhaust was sounding louder.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 07:46 PM   #9
lkstaack
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbazz View Post
My question is, hearing how amazing this exhaust sounds why are manufacturers making their OEM standard exhausts as quiet as possible and then pumping fake sound into the cabin....it makes no sense to me.
BMW has to meet strict European noise standards, so they build a quiet muffler. They also build a relatively quiet cabin, so they pipe in an artificial sound for a sporty experience. My Super Sprint exhaust is also on the quiet side, like the MPE I had.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 08:06 PM   #10
jtbazz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC328_F30 View Post
Interesting, how would you say the sound is in comparison to the M Performance exhaust?

My buddy installed a Remus dual exhaust on his car (320...) and side by side my MP exhaust was sounding louder.
I have only heard the m performance on a 340i.the Remus is much much deeper and more aggressive than the m performance if you do the Remus as a catback. Axle back wont be as substantial.

Also, loud is subjective. I don't want noise, I want acoustics. I feel the Remus, to my ears, has much better acoustics. Also, the 320 doesn't have an inline 6 and the sound is going to be drastically different than the 340 since its a completely different engine.

I will try to capture a good sound clip in the next two day but as I state above, none of the sound clips I have heard even come close to capturing the sound.
Appreciate 1
7iM3less2593.50
      01-09-2018, 08:30 PM   #11
tsbrown
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
I just installed a Remus catback on my 340i and it sounds incredible. I will post a sound clip when the weather gets better. I can tell you the videos I have watched on you tube trying to capture the Remus sound do not capture it. Much different than any sound clips I have watched, exhaust is much, much better in person (at least to my ears).

Well anyway, on to the Remus. The sound is absolutely beautiful. I find myself turning off the stereo and just listening to the exhaust. It has a very nice deep warm and throaty tone and is insane in sport mode under acceleration. I went with the catback rather than the axle back and couldn't be happier with the choice.

Also, the quality of the exhaust and tips is amazing.

Props to Mike at Extreme Power House for helping me with my decision and for the great transaction.
Mike at XPH also helped me with my axle-back Remus exhaust for 340i. I've had it since August and it sounds awesome, though cat-back probably sounds better. I chose the Remus because it sounded deeper/richer than the raspy, higher pitched MPPSK (or any other option except Akrapovic), but I also already had the Dinan Elite tune. I think it gets better after break-in. What sounds good is very subjective, but this Remus exhaust sounds fantastic to me after 6 years with an E90 M3. Highly recommended.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 09:51 PM   #12
Climb Mode
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Is the mid-pipe completely unresonated? Does it incorporate a valve?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 09:47 PM   #13
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Believe it or not, only a handful of people want to hear other cars' exhaust while driving, and fraction of those people will actually enjoy the sound of your car. So they make your muffler quiet for everybody else. But after all of the sound deadening strategies to block out unwanted road noise, they have to pipe in engine sounds so your car doesn't sound like a electric car.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 10:39 AM   #14
jtbazz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Believe it or not, only a handful of people want to hear other cars' exhaust while driving, and fraction of those people will actually enjoy the sound of your car. So they make your muffler quiet for everybody else. But after all of the sound deadening strategies to block out unwanted road noise, they have to pipe in engine sounds so your car doesn't sound like a electric car.
Well I disagree to an extent and I would venture to guess most people on this forum would too. I can understand not putting a full exhaust on a Dodge Neon but a 6 cylinder sport sedan with a turbo greatly benefits from a better exhaust. The sound is not obnoxious whatsoever, I am talking a proper exhaust. I am not talking about an extremely loud muffler a 16 year old puts on his Civic. Also, I think BMW is starting to realize people appreciate their engine's real sound and a more free flowing exhaust by offering the M-Performance exhaust. They wouldn't invest in creating that option if it was in demand by more than just a handful of people.

Also, a performance exhaust frees up some of the power in your engine, allowing for a quicker, more efficient path for exhaust gases to escape. This allows your engine to breathe better and is less restricted. Increased power, increased fuel economy, better sound, win win..

For me, personally, this was the best upgrade I have ever done to a car.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 12:17 PM   #15
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Well I disagree to an extent and I would venture to guess most people on this forum would too. I can understand not putting a full exhaust on a Dodge Neon but a 6 cylinder sport sedan with a turbo greatly benefits from a better exhaust. The sound is not obnoxious whatsoever, I am talking a proper exhaust. I am not talking about an extremely loud muffler a 16 year old puts on his Civic. Also, I think BMW is starting to realize people appreciate their engine's real sound and a more free flowing exhaust by offering the M-Performance exhaust. They wouldn't invest in creating that option if it was in demand by more than just a handful of people.

Also, a performance exhaust frees up some of the power in your engine, allowing for a quicker, more efficient path for exhaust gases to escape. This allows your engine to breathe better and is less restricted. Increased power, increased fuel economy, better sound, win win..

For me, personally, this was the best upgrade I have ever done to a car.
i'm not talking about the demand of the people driving the car. i specifically said people don't want to hear other car's exhaust. So while the .02% of drivers that drive a 340i/440i may like to hear their exhaust, a good 90% of the rest of the people on the road don't. That's why there are noise ordinances and legal requirements around how loud your exhaust can be. The majority considers it an annoyance.

And on top of that, the enthusiasts or other people that don't mind some exhaust sounds will still have a preference on what sound they want to hear. So your muffled 6 banger annoys a portion of those people too. Just look at the reviews for the F8x exhaust note. Even I think most people on F30Post make their cars sound horrible and raspy because the most common mods are catless downpipes and resonator deletes/midpipes. Anywhere other forum will say that rasp is the enemy but for some reason bmw people love it imo an axle back produces the best sound. but that's why there are multiple options available, because everyone has different tastes.

Not to mention that a majority of people do not/cannot pay an additional $1500 on their car's price for an exhaust they can live without. Hence why it is a port installed option and not something that can be equipped at the factory. It actually wastes BMW money to slow down their line and add installation stations for the mperformance bits that the few of us actually opted to spend the $$ for an OEM product vs eBay or some other aftermarket offering.

And a proper exhaust is not increasing the performance of your car. You're maybe getting 5 peak hp with a straight pipe, and every muffler/resonator that's included knocks it down 1 or 2. All it's doing in the real world is giving you more sound.

At the end of the day, people on this forum are in the minority. We just give each other a false sense of reality. If you look at the road you'll see a sea of 4 cylinder f30s with every option except msport and track handling, because what most of us care about is not what most people care about.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 3
      01-11-2018, 09:08 PM   #16
jtbazz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
i'm not talking about the demand of the people driving the car. i specifically said people don't want to hear other car's exhaust. So while the .02% of drivers that drive a 340i/440i may like to hear their exhaust, a good 90% of the rest of the people on the road don't. That's why there are noise ordinances and legal requirements around how loud your exhaust can be. The majority considers it an annoyance.

And on top of that, the enthusiasts or other people that don't mind some exhaust sounds will still have a preference on what sound they want to hear. So your muffled 6 banger annoys a portion of those people too. Just look at the reviews for the F8x exhaust note. Even I think most people on F30Post make their cars sound horrible and raspy because the most common mods are catless downpipes and resonator deletes/midpipes. Anywhere other forum will say that rasp is the enemy but for some reason bmw people love it imo an axle back produces the best sound. but that's why there are multiple options available, because everyone has different tastes.

Not to mention that a majority of people do not/cannot pay an additional $1500 on their car's price for an exhaust they can live without. Hence why it is a port installed option and not something that can be equipped at the factory. It actually wastes BMW money to slow down their line and add installation stations for the mperformance bits that the few of us actually opted to spend the $$ for an OEM product vs eBay or some other aftermarket offering.

And a proper exhaust is not increasing the performance of your car. You're maybe getting 5 peak hp with a straight pipe, and every muffler/resonator that's included knocks it down 1 or 2. All it's doing in the real world is giving you more sound.

At the end of the day, people on this forum are in the minority. We just give each other a false sense of reality. If you look at the road you'll see a sea of 4 cylinder f30s with every option except msport and track handling, because what most of us care about is not what most people care about.
Kern, its almost bed time and figured you would want a lullaby

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 01:07 AM   #17
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
jtbazz how are you liking it so far? How much louder would you say the catback is over stock? I'm deciding between the Remus and the Dinan catback so any input you have would be great.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 07:53 AM   #18
jtbazz
Private First Class
Rep

The catback is amazing. It's is a drastic difference over stock in sport mode and especially WOT. I wouldn't do it without going the full cat with the Remus. I will get a better sound clip and post it as the sound clips do it no justice. I find myself driving with the stereo off and windows open(it's winter and freezing here, lol) because the sound is soooo amazing. Nice deep and aggressive sound. Dinans are amazing too but the Remus tips are on a different level.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 07:44 PM   #19
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Just to be clear, this is only catback exhaust? Do you think it would sound sameish on 335i/435i?

I'm shopping for 435i and I had the M perf exhaust as a must have but this must sound so well when based on your description seem to be louder, especially from inside.

EDIT: Ohhh, the 440i is a new BMW engine... so I guess that answers my question, it won't.

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 02-19-2018 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 08:51 PM   #20
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

That was glorious.
      02-21-2018, 05:15 AM   #21
ZoranTerzic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f32 435i

Resonated midpipe? Sounds amazing.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:39 AM   #22
jtbazz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoranTerzic View Post
Resonated midpipe? Sounds amazing.
Thanks. Yes the Remus mid pipe is resonated.

Last edited by jtbazz; 02-21-2018 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0