F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Catted downpipe
proTUNING Freaks

10-31-2019, 07:09 AM   #23
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
If you got the extender with your order, you go the "pre-revision" batch, so you will need that to make the O2 wire reach.

+1 for the info request. I would like to know how it fits (aside from O2 issue) on both connection points with the clamps, how it lines up with the catback, and what codes you get and how long it takes to get them. Oh, and changes in sound - before/after clips if it's not too much to ask?
I should be installing this in 2 weeks. I'll take some sound clips before and after. I have the stock exhaust so the dp is the only change. I'm also interested in how the sound is changed.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 11:16 AM   #24
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
I should be installing this in 2 weeks. I'll take some sound clips before and after. I have the stock exhaust so the dp is the only change. I'm also interested in how the sound is changed.
Awesome, thank you. I also have stock exhaust, so this will be exactly the sound difference i am looking to see.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #25
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
bump - did you get a chance to install this yet? curious for results.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #26
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Yes I did but could not find this thread to post links to the sound clips. It definitely made a nice difference in power even though I am still bm3 stage 1. It did not change the exhaust note as much as I expected. It is barely noticeable. On cold start up there is a deeper sound and a tiny bit of rasp but I doubt nobody but a Bimmer enthusiast would notice. In the car you really don't hear much increase in sound. It sounds much louder on the video. It also really quiets down after about a minute or two. This is good since I didn't want to be ricey.

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw7...SynoUzRNTlrmA/
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 06:38 PM   #27
Jake From State Farm
Uhh... Khakis?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F250 Powerstroke

The VRSF catted DP will throw a code sooner or later. For those considering a catted DP for emissions and CEL do your research because if you’re trying to save money and skip on Fabspeed, CG or even Wagner you may as well go catless.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #28
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes I did but could not find this thread to post links to the sound clips. It definitely made a nice difference in power even though I am still bm3 stage 1. It did not change the exhaust note as much as I expected. It is barely noticeable. On cold start up there is a deeper sound and a tiny bit of rasp but I doubt nobody but a Bimmer enthusiast would notice. In the car you really don't hear much increase in sound. It sounds much louder on the video. It also really quiets down after about a minute or two. This is good since I didn't want to be ricey.

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw7...SynoUzRNTlrmA/
Thanks for the info and clips.

My other question was about the smell - any noticable increase compared to stock?

I know it will eventually throw a code and am not really concerned about emissions, I just don't want the smell of a catless DP. I have a catless 3000gt and i know how bad it is (although im sure a modern car would be a little less bad).
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 05:19 PM   #29
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the info and clips.

My other question was about the smell - any noticable increase compared to stock?

I know it will eventually throw a code and am not really concerned about emissions, I just don't want the smell of a catless DP. I have a catless 3000gt and i know how bad it is (although im sure a modern car would be a little less bad).
Sorry man. I am not getting updated on new response for some reason.

So the install was a pain like most have said. It is a smaller cat which should be easier to install but it is not. It is a real pain in the ass to get the top v-band clamp on from the turbo to the downpipe. It took me at least an hour and a half to get it on. After that the exhaust what never going to bolt up to the back of the downpipe. There was at least a 1/2" gap. The v-band clamp would not pull it together. I ended up dropping the exhaust where ever it was connected to the car. This allowed me to pull it in the mate up with the downpipe. Once it was secured with the v-band I bolted the exhaust back up. Work fine and was easy.

I can not smell a difference from oem. It seems to be doing a good job at burning residual fuel. I had an 07 Acura TL-S with test pipes and it smelled pretty bad. You should be fine with a catted pipe.

I many be the winner for fastest cel though. I got the check engine light for the cat after maybe 2 miles. Didn't cause any issues and I was able to suppress it in bootmod3.

So to recap I am stage 1 tune with full bolt on EWG N55. The power and sound are very nice!!! Stage 2 should be coming soon....
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 09:22 PM   #30
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Sorry man. I am not getting updated on new response for some reason.

So the install was a pain like most have said. It is a smaller cat which should be easier to install but it is not. It is a real pain in the ass to get the top v-band clamp on from the turbo to the downpipe. It took me at least an hour and a half to get it on. After that the exhaust what never going to bolt up to the back of the downpipe. There was at least a 1/2" gap. The v-band clamp would not pull it together. I ended up dropping the exhaust where ever it was connected to the car. This allowed me to pull it in the mate up with the downpipe. Once it was secured with the v-band I bolted the exhaust back up. Work fine and was easy.

I can not smell a difference from oem. It seems to be doing a good job at burning residual fuel. I had an 07 Acura TL-S with test pipes and it smelled pretty bad. You should be fine with a catted pipe.

I many be the winner for fastest cel though. I got the check engine light for the cat after maybe 2 miles. Didn't cause any issues and I was able to suppress it in bootmod3.

So to recap I am stage 1 tune with full bolt on EWG N55. The power and sound are very nice!!! Stage 2 should be coming soon....
Thanks for the additional info and install tips. I am probably just going to end up dropping the extra money for a Fabspeed or AA catted downpipe with the sales going on. Yes, it's a lot more expensive, but i dont want to have a secondary O2 sensor on an extension (i know no impact on performance), the fitment issue connecting to exhaust (read this from other users of VRSF catted DP also), and no brackets on the DP as there is for stock (i feel this puts extra stress on the turbo outlet), etc. Plus after the issues i had with VRSF IC+CP i don't really want to buy another one of their products anyways.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 12:56 PM   #31
pw0n
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Don't mean to threadjack, but does anyone know how durable/reliable the high-flow catted DPs are?

Not only are they significantly more expensive than catless DPs, but they're also prone to breaking since they still have cats.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 02:25 PM   #32
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw0n View Post
Don't mean to threadjack, but does anyone know how durable/reliable the high-flow catted DPs are?

Not only are they significantly more expensive than catless DPs, but they're also prone to breaking since they still have cats.
In all of my research i have not read of a single instance of a cat "breaking" on these cars. Not sure what you even mean... melting because of excessively high EGTs? The DME actually calculates EGTs to protect the stock cat so i imagine you shouldnt have any concerns. People have been running the aftermarket cats for tens of thousands of miles and i think if there were issues we would hear about them.

Now if you are using excessive burbles that would most likely shorten the lifespean and probably cause issues in the long run. I have no interest in running burbles (above stock tune) so not a concern of mine.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 10:48 PM   #33
pw0n
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
In all of my research i have not read of a single instance of a cat "breaking" on these cars. Not sure what you even mean... melting because of excessively high EGTs? The DME actually calculates EGTs to protect the stock cat so i imagine you shouldnt have any concerns. People have been running the aftermarket cats for tens of thousands of miles and i think if there were issues we would hear about them.

Now if you are using excessive burbles that would most likely shorten the lifespean and probably cause issues in the long run. I have no interest in running burbles (above stock tune) so not a concern of mine.
Good to know. And yeah, I should've clarified - I'd probably like to run excessive burbles.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #34
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkiledj View Post
Why is there such an extreme price difference in the various catted downpipes? VRSF $400, Fabspeed $1400! $1000 price difference for the same part. Is there really that much of a difference in quality?
Its the cost of the CAT..

Some cats are VERY expensive and some are VERY cheap. So that is what drives the cost.

For example HJS cats are SUPER expensive but they guarantee no CEL.

Mike
Appreciate 1
pkiledj46.00
      11-26-2019, 11:28 AM   #35
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw0n View Post

Depends on the quality of the cats. High quality cats last a long time.

I probably would not run aggressive burble though

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
pkiledj46.00
      11-26-2019, 04:50 PM   #36
pkiledj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 6MT xDrive M-Adaptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Quote:
Why is there such an extreme price difference in the various catted downpipes? VRSF $400, Fabspeed $1400! $1000 price difference for the same part. Is there really that much of a difference in quality?
Its the cost of the CAT..

Some cats are VERY expensive and some are VERY cheap. So that is what drives the cost.

For example HJS cats are SUPER expensive but they guarantee no CEL.

Mike
Do you have any feedback on passing CA smog with Fabspeed? Not the visual part I mean the "ready" part.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 04:08 PM   #37
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Do you have any feedback on passing CA smog with Fabspeed? Not the visual part I mean the "ready" part.
Fabspeed should give ready state based on all user's experience i have read, and the ready check does not vary by state. So if fabspeed gives ready for cat monitors, that would apply to all states.
Appreciate 1
pkiledj46.00