F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Anyone have high speed driveline vibration?
Extreme Powerhouse

10-27-2021, 06:50 PM   #133
gnolivos
Captain
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

Can someone explain whether there are f30 years without flex discs? Looked under my 2016 with local
Mechanic and he says this model has no guibo. I honestly couldn't see it either. There was a rigid metal structure in its place.
      10-27-2021, 07:02 PM   #134
im_an_alien
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
Can someone explain whether there are f30 years without flex discs? Looked under my 2016 with local
Mechanic and he says this model has no guibo. I honestly couldn't see it either. There was a rigid metal structure in its place.
Some guibos are metal with rubber inserts, however BMW discontinued using those and went back to all-rubber guibos. There will always be a guibo between the transmission output flange and the driveshaft, however the rear part of the D/S can be connected to the differential either with a guibo or insert nut depending on model.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 07:26 PM   #135
im_an_alien
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that response. I'm confused though about the explanation because you seem to indicate there are possibly 3 guibos on some models?

Anyway I'm considering buying the old style rubber guibo (presumably part no. 26117610372) and paying to get them swapped and see if my vibrations go away. I'm convinced that's the source of my issues but the mechanic test drove with me and says he feels nothing. Ugh. I know my car! It drove perfectly smooth for 50k miles and all of a sudden all the floorboard and pedals vibrate noticeably to me. Especially around 2000rpm on any gear.
No, there are either 2 at each end of the driveshaft, or just one at the front in conjunction with an insert nut at the rear. So a maximum of two and a minimum of one. As far as replacement, the metal guibo is no longer available and must be replaced by the rubber one.
Appreciate 1
gnolivos316.00
      10-27-2021, 07:45 PM   #136
im_an_alien
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks understood. I think mine has the metal guibos because I could not detect any rubber at all. Very rigid. Im unsure however if there was one or two guibos. Do you know if regardless, I can buy a set of 2 and place them in each end? Or would a rear insert nut have to remain if that's what I have?
If you have the metal guibo it will most likely be at the front with the insert nut at the rear. The insert nut does not need to be removed when replacing the front guibo. You cannot replace the insert nut with a guibo either. I did the guibo last year, I'll try to pull up some pics..
Appreciate 1
gnolivos316.00
      10-27-2021, 10:22 PM   #137
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
Quote:
Some guibos are metal with rubber inserts, however BMW discontinued using those and went back to all-rubber guibos. There will always be a guibo between the transmission output flange and the driveshaft, however the rear part of the D/S can be connected to the differential either with a guibo or insert nut depending on model.
Thanks for that response. I'm confused though about the explanation because you seem to indicate there are possibly 3 guibos on some models?

Anyway I'm considering buying the old style rubber guibo (presumably part no. 26117610372) and paying to get them swapped and see if my vibrations go away. I'm convinced that's the source of my issues but the mechanic test drove with me and says he feels nothing. Ugh. I know my car! It drove perfectly smooth for 50k miles and all of a sudden all the floorboard and pedals vibrate noticeably to me. Especially around 2000rpm on any gear.
i'm actually having same vibration issue right now, it started about 2 weeks ago, i have 46k miles on my car and have an appointment with a shop next week… your post makes me worried the shop won't be able to find what the source of the vibration in my floor and pedals is.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 01:18 AM   #138
im_an_alien
Major
Rep

A worn center support bearing will also cause floor and seat vibration, worth checking out..
Appreciate 2
gnolivos316.00
JBH661235.50
      10-28-2021, 07:29 AM   #139
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I know my car! It drove perfectly smooth for 50k miles and all of a sudden all the floorboard and pedals vibrate noticeably to me. Especially around 2000rpm on any gear.
A particular engine rpm is not indicating a specific drive shaft vibration, as it is not pin pointing it to drivetrain rpm. It would be different if, say, it vibrates at ~50mph in any gear, that would be a key clue.

I'd be looking for something rotating at a constant rpm. (Possibly engine/ancillaries, or gearbox related).
Appreciate 1
gnolivos316.00
      10-28-2021, 07:34 AM   #140
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
PLEASE let me know what they say or find! I will do the same. What year and model do you own? Mine is 2016 LCI.
im a 2017 340i xdrive 6mt, same for you, let me know if you find a fix

i still think this might be some sort of a resonating vibration, the low rpm vibration to me makes me think it's a harmonic vibration from exhaust or engine. possibly something is touching. but im not an expert
Appreciate 1
gnolivos316.00
      10-28-2021, 07:37 AM   #141
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Transmission mount perhaps then?
Definitely check them out. If the peak is ~2,000rpm, does it fade either side of that rpm?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 08:56 AM   #142
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
It does seem to peak at around 2000rpm. And fades both sides of that peak. Also seems to occur under load only. So if I set cruise control and force to a constant rpm with constant steady gas , the vibration seems not as present. But if I accelerate from 1000 rpm and sweep through the 2000rpm range is when it is felt the most.
Sometimes these sort of vibrations can be caused by very simple issues. I'd also ensure there isn't any 'temporary' exhaust or heatshield contact. The 'on load' issue could be mounts, allowing a bit of movement. High torque loads at a lower rpm can amplify movements and vibrations, smoothing out as rpm increases, even on a similar load.

Look for the simple possibilities first. For example, does the engine move about more than expected, when out of gear and throttle blipped and revved through the critical rpm? Any odd vibrations in that scenario?
Appreciate 1
gnolivos316.00
      10-28-2021, 09:26 AM   #143
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
No vibrations when throttling in neutral (parked or even coasting).
They took the car up twice and inspected everything. Two different shops. They said all dampening structures are intact and like new.
I see you have xDrive. I hope it isn't a transfer box issue developing. With inspections, has anyone suggested it could be?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 10:02 AM   #144
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I see you have xDrive. I hope it isn't a transfer box issue developing. With inspections, has anyone suggested it could be?
I'm not sure if a transfer case would only cause a cabin vibration at a low rpm, i would expect there to be an audible noise as well. correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldnt it also be felt in steering wheel, not just the pedals and floor?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 10:28 AM   #145
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxik View Post
I'm not sure if a transfer case would only cause a cabin vibration at a low rpm, i would expect there to be an audible noise as well. correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldnt it also be felt in steering wheel, not just the pedals and floor?
Agree it is not the usual first symptom. But this vibration peaking around 2,000 rpm is not your typical issue either.

More an "exploring the options" we have, when it is not the usual road speed type vibration. Doesn't seem to fit a normal fault finding path. Not in a BMW, but I've known transmission bearings cause a similar thing. So 'if' it is transfer box related, may not be the normal type of failure.

Torque Convertors can do some odd things as well. But again, not showing the typical first indication of that is the issue either.

An unusual one to try and identify, unless someone has come across this before.
Appreciate 1
gnolivos316.00
      10-30-2021, 02:54 PM   #146
unsayf
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d XDrive Step Auto

I'm also seeing the same vibration. It becomes noticeable (i.e. passenger seat and phone mount start to shake) around 80mph under a heavy right foot and most often occurs in sport mode.

Initially put it down to a bad wheel alignment or uneven tyre pressures but the behaviour is not consistent and sometimes I can creep up to same speed or faster without noticing anything, especially in comfort mode.

Booked into the local indie in a couple of weeks for an oil service and I've asked them to take a look at the transfer box and driveshafts to see if there's anything obvious.
Appreciate 1
gnolivos316.00
      11-15-2021, 05:14 PM   #147
danidoki
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 330d 2012.

Vibration - BMW F31 330d

Hi Everybody,

I join to your club, I have vibration too, with a special low noise, between 115 and 135 km/h ( 70 to 87,5 miles/h). I have tried three set of tyress and wheels, my differential replaced to a new one, but the vibration stayed with us. My mechanics say, my ZF8hp70 automaic transmission can cause these sympthons, but I have doubt. The vibration doesn't depend on he gears, I can feel and hear in tne 6th, 7th and 8th gear too, between 115 and 135 km/h speed. The driveshaft looks very good, the middle bearing is not loose, the front and rear guibo look good. I hear the voice stronger and I feel a small smooth vibration on the steering wheel, especially during acceleration and by riding upwards.

Front of my driveshaf I have metal guibo, maybe it is too rigid or inflexible, a newer and full rubber maybe can eliminate the vibration?

Best regards,
Daniel
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 09:29 AM   #148
mambo2097
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D X-Drive (F31)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsayf View Post
I'm also seeing the same vibration. It becomes noticeable (i.e. passenger seat and phone mount start to shake) around 80mph under a heavy right foot and most often occurs in sport mode.

Initially put it down to a bad wheel alignment or uneven tyre pressures but the behaviour is not consistent and sometimes I can creep up to same speed or faster without noticing anything, especially in comfort mode.

Booked into the local indie in a couple of weeks for an oil service and I've asked them to take a look at the transfer box and driveshafts to see if there's anything obvious.
I've a similar issue on my 330D F31 X Drive that I'm struggling to get to the bottom of. Next on my lister is transfer box service so I'd be interested to see how you get on / notice any improvement
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 09:34 AM   #149
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M/SPORT xDRIVE INDIVIDUAL

Buckled wheels?

Evdok

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 04:18 PM   #150
danidoki
Rep

Maybe the solution?

Hi Everybody!

Maybe I found the answer, the solution against the vibration?

At first I changed the differential to a newsy one, the newer differential had about 4.000s km. Nothing changed. I was first upset, but to know, that my differential is near to a new one, for only 350 Eur, it made me calmer.

Today we have changed the driveshaft too, the older one (which was in my car, made in 2012 and has 250.000 km) looked nice, no symptons at the joint. Something changed, but not so much. (Ps: the new driveshaft made in 2018, took into a test car in 2019, but only for a few kilometres, so it is perfect). The guibo at the back is new, the front one is still the metal one, with small bushes, looked perfect, too. The bushes were hard fit to the metal guibo, they didn't moved and they didn't looked overused, so I let them in the guibo.

And now the main point. After we took down the original driveshaft, (and before we took up the new driveshaft), we started the engine without driveshaft, I took the ZF Gearshift into "D" posiion, and I pushed the gas. After a time we felt a very small vibration for a short time (1 or 2 seconds), and my mechanic hold the automaic gearbox with his hands (from the inspection pit) and he felt the vibration too (when the Gearbox was in higher gear). We stopped the engine and my mechanic started to pull up and down very hard with his hands the outshaft of the Automatic Gearbox. It had a little play a slack in the direction up and down.

So. My car produces the same sympthons with a new differential and driveshaft (but something changed, I dont hear the specioal annoying voice so hard, but it is in still present) and I feel vibration on the steering wheel from 120-140 km/hours) and we felt today under the repar time vibraition at the Zf8hp70, and a slack, a play at the outshaft, so I started to suspect to the ZF8hp70.

Maybe an oil change for the gearbox, or a total restoration for the ZF 8hp70 (included the outshaft and the planetary gears) can solve the problem? We have a common parameter by our cars. All of us have a ZF8hp, as I know, but I dont know, do you have a slack or play by the outshaft of the ZF8hp70?

Thanks,
Daniel
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 05:57 AM   #151
oilburner2017
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 328d Msport

Just adding my car to the heap of vibrational frustration. 2014 F31 328d ZF8 130k km. Vibration and noise at ~ 120-130 kph Driving me nuts! Sure hope Daniel is onto something with his transmission theory. Seems we're all throwing parts and $ at a mystery.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 04:08 PM   #152
danidoki
Rep

Hello Oilburner,

since then I have changed my "guibo", you can find close to the ZF8hp, because the original one was a metal (Aluminium) guibo (with small rubber insets). I thought, the metal guibo can not absorb so much vibration, as the rubber one. After the replacement, I feel nothing changed, so unfortunately I have to hold my opinion, that the responsible part of the system is the ZF 8hp70 Transmission.

It is interesting, because I feel the virbration on the steering wheel too, beside the annoying noise. (I have no x-drive). I started to wander to change the engine mounts, but my engine stays in its proper position in spite of hard acceleraion, and by cold start there is no sharp shocking, etc.

I am not sure, that by the outshaft of the gearbox is it normal to be a little lash or play? If not, it can be stated with great certainty, that the bearing at the outshaft of the transmission, or the whole bearing of the transmissions shaft is the responsible.

It is sad, because I thought one of the strongest part of the F31 is the 8hp70... And some interesting facts. I went to an ZF Service, the mechanic heard the problem and he said, "it is not the ZF Gearbox, it is the driveshaft. When a gearbox goes wrong, it has another sympthoms." I think in most cases it is right, but it is an unusual symphtom and problem...
Appreciate 1
JBH661235.50
      01-01-2022, 06:30 PM   #153
im_an_alien
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danidoki View Post
Hello Oilburner,

since then I have changed my "guibo", you can find close to the ZF8hp, because the original one was a metal (Aluminium) guibo (with small rubber insets). I thought, the metal guibo can not absorb so much vibration, as the rubber one. After the replacement, I feel nothing changed, so unfortunately I have to hold my opinion, that the responsible part of the system is the ZF 8hp70 Transmission.

It is interesting, because I feel the virbration on the steering wheel too, beside the annoying noise. (I have no x-drive). I started to wander to change the engine mounts, but my engine stays in its proper position in spite of hard acceleraion, and by cold start there is no sharp shocking, etc.

I am not sure, that by the outshaft of the gearbox is it normal to be a little lash or play? If not, it can be stated with great certainty, that the bearing at the outshaft of the transmission, or the whole bearing of the transmissions shaft is the responsible.

It is sad, because I thought one of the strongest part of the F31 is the 8hp70... And some interesting facts. I went to an ZF Service, the mechanic heard the problem and he said, "it is not the ZF Gearbox, it is the driveshaft. When a gearbox goes wrong, it has another sympthoms." I think in most cases it is right, but it is an unusual symphtom and problem...
I doubt it's the auto transmission, this issue has been reported by people with 6 speed manual boxes as well.
Appreciate 1
JBH661235.50
      01-02-2022, 07:39 AM   #154
f30crezee
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
I doubt it's the auto transmission, this issue has been reported by people with 6 speed manual boxes as well.
agreed
Appreciate 1
JBH661235.50