F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iDrive Control Wheel Replacement
Studio RSR

03-25-2022, 05:04 AM   #1
makammo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 330e

iDrive Control Wheel Replacement

The control wheel on my 2017 f30 330e has just started being uncooperative (phantom clicks, non-responsive etc.). Nothing spilt on it so in the first instance I'll remove/disassemble and clean it, but if it's cooked I'm also looking at replacing it with one of the larger ones.

Problem is after consulting RealOEM I can't seem to figure out which are compatible. I don't have the smallest wheel, but I have the intermediate size one as below:

The one I would probably want to replace with if broken, is this type:

Now I know there are lots of different part nos etc., but RealOEM only lists the smaller type for mine (65826992827), but I have read that different generations have different KCAN/KCAN2 interfaces and that theoretically I should just be able to drop something newer like this to directly replace mine:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283676572366

Anyone done this/know the deal?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 05:06 AM   #2
makammo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 330e

For some reason my pictures aren't loading so they're now attachments.

The first two photos of the smaller one are my existing, the other is the style i'd like to replace with if I need to.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 07:15 AM   #3
orha12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 316i

First i will suggest for you to pull up the trim with the idrive controller, then you will be able to see the part number that you have right now.
It will be more easy for people here to help you and suggest you what will fitt for your HU system.

Be aware that the idrive controller you want has different buttons so it might not work well like the one you have right now. (maybe coding will figure this out)

I think that the easiest solution for you is to buy the same idrive controller (same part number) you have right now, and just change the wheel. (If you want bigger one)

There is a lot of aftermarket wheels for the idrive controller.
(ebay, aliexpress, etc..)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 01:08 PM   #4
SD Convert
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i convertible

The second controller (third picture) will work just like the first controller, but you will be able to connect a touch module to it to allow you to draw letters on the top of the controller in addition to turning the knob to select them. The module also needs a "Y" cable. I don't know if this would require any recoding in your head unit.

I recently had a good purchasing experience with eBay seller "naviandbmwparts" on a complete Nav system. He should be able to get the parts you need.
Appreciate 0