F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > Mineral Grey 335i Track Build - Australia
GetBMWParts

02-07-2022, 06:11 PM   #1
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Mineral Grey 335i Track Build - Australia

Hey All!

Decided it was time to try and create a post with an update on my car in one place.

I bought my 335i (RWD, auto) late last year to be used as a track car/fun weekend car (mostly track car though).

It was to replace an R34 Skyline I recently sold (with Skyline prices rising so much, parts started to get expensive and it didn't make sense to use such a nice car for the track!)

I managed to find the cheapest 335i in Australia. It had 172,000kms (110,000 miles) but was in really nice shape. Interior was perfect and just had a few dents on the outside.

Car came with Eibach lowered springs, ebay no name intercooler, metal charge pipe and K&N drop in filter.

Decided to see what the base car was like, so took it to a local track event with everything stock, including the wheels and tyres.

The standard setup was not great. The staggered wheels (225 front and 255 rear) had a terrible balance, the eibach springs were too stiff and brakes were not sufficient.... but I knew all this would be the case before I went.

Changes I made to the car were:
-MHD Stage 2 tune (Black Friday sale, couldn't resist)
-M Performance rear calipers, 345mm, twin piston (Did this as finding good pads for the 330mm caliper was very difficult, this gave me a lot more options)
-Ferodo DS Uno Front Pads
-Ferodo DS2500 Rear pads
-KW V3 Coilovers (found a lightly used set at a good price)
-Millway Camber Plates
-VRSF Highflow Cat
-GTC GT-CX wheels (same as the VMR V710) 18x9.5 +33 all round
-Zestino Gredge 07RS 255/35 semi slick tyres all round
-Aliexpress Carplay retrofit MMI
-Crank Seal Guard
-Crank Bolt Capture
-Metal Shift paddles (Aliexpress)
-Fire Extinguisher and Under Seat Bracket
-Replaced the coolant ppipe that always breaks and the mickey mouse flange that was failing on my car
-Usual service items, oil, diff, transmission fluid and oil

The changes i made were substantial. Took it to the same track as last time and the car was night and day different (which is to be expected). Balance was very neutral, turn in was excellent and overall it is now very confidence inspiring and predictable.

Wheel alignment settings I used were:
-2.4 Front Camber (max available)
-2.2 Rear Camber
0mm Front Toe
-4mm Rear Toe (-2mm each side)

I think the rear toe has really helped in getting on the power earlier at corner exit.

Its a fairly tight course and the stock time i did was 50.4, after the mods i was able to do a 48.5, so a significant reduction in time. I think the car will break the 47’s next time I am there.

I did find the tune was not happy though with high IAT and i think the high flow cat is still a restriction. so the next mods I have planned are:
-BMS Intake (More for sound)
-VRSF Race Intercooler (Get the IAT's down)
-Catless Downpipe
-CSF Dual Core Oil Cooler (Get those oil temps down!)
-Accsump (Ensure oil pressure for the long high g corners)

I think after these changes I am likely to leave the car as is and enjoy it as much as I can. Maybe sometime in the future i'll upgrade the turbo, but I don't think that will be anytime soon. Overall I am loving this car and platform! My one big issue is I am still learning to use an auto on the track. Sounds odd, but I've only ever had manual track cars and am just struggling to know what gear I am in with the auto. Something i will need to work on!
Attached Images

Last edited by Tobz_au; 05-01-2022 at 07:08 AM..
Appreciate 3
FrankDK171.50
rjd_F301999.50
      02-09-2022, 10:20 PM   #2
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

So have been deciding on the best way to deal with any oiling problems on track. As per the above I’ve been looking at installing an accusump since I got the car. But after a bit of research I’ve decided to do down a different path.

I’m now in the process of ordering the following parts:
MMR Sump Baffle
King Rod bearings (std)
New oil pan gasket and bolts
F80 engine mounts (got a good deal and supposedly they fit)
Hard Race Front Sway Bar

I decided on the mmr baffle over different options after speaking to mmr directly. They assured me the baffle system is appropriate for track usage and will hold up under long sustained g cornering. Not only have they done a bunch of research themselves, they have sold over 400 units without any failure. So that sold it for me, especially since the price point is really good.

Hopefully will be able to get this all done in the next few months depending on shipping times

Ordered the sway bar as if I’m dropping the subframe, now is the time to replace it!
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2022, 06:37 AM   #3
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
That's a sweet setup. You could look into harder bushings for your front control arms, that would help with front braking feel; you should be able to buy bushings and press them into the stock arms.
Are you looking into a diff cooler as well?

Charles
      02-10-2022, 07:41 PM   #4
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Front control arm bushes sound interesting. I havent looked into arms and bushings yet as its such a slippery slope. On the skyline i remember I started with front upper control arms for camber and then by the time i sold it, every arm was aftermarket and adjustable and it would take almost half a day to do an alignment! So I've been ignoring that for now :P

Haven't looked into a diff cooler as yet as i do want to go to an LSD eventually.... Also usually on the track I only do 3 hot laps at a time as the tyres will be overheating after that. Usually that also helps with maintaining temps across the car as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 11:54 PM   #5
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

So after work today I decided to install my new intake and oil cooler.

Firstly the csf oil cooler upgrade has been the easiest oil cooler I’ve installed. Took 25 mins and that was mostly just taking the wheel and liner on and off. Everything fitted perfectly and just added 600ml oil top up and I was good to go!

Bms intake was also easy enough.

Also picked up a dodgy super cheap “carbon fibre” rear wing that is attached to the boot with double sided tape. For the price I’m happy!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
FrankDK171.50
CJ4211559.00
      02-16-2022, 08:24 PM   #6
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Managed to get a good deal on a mishimoto intercooler (50%off) ordered yesterday and arrived today, so super happy with the postage time.

Packaging is very impressive and the intercooler looks good so far. Will be a big step up from the 5 inch no name intercooler the car came with!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 01:29 AM   #7
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Started to pull the car apart as I am going to do the rod bearings, mmr pan and replace the pan gasket over the next little while.

I also got the mishimoto intercooler in. I am currently trying to get in touch with them as it doesn’t clear the crash bar. Which is annoying. Should have just gone the vrsf race cooler
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 09:45 AM   #8
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobz_au View Post
So after work today I decided to install my new intake and oil cooler.

Firstly the csf oil cooler upgrade has been the easiest oil cooler I’ve installed. Took 25 mins and that was mostly just taking the wheel and liner on and off. Everything fitted perfectly and just added 600ml oil top up and I was good to go!

Bms intake was also easy enough.

Also picked up a dodgy super cheap “carbon fibre” rear wing that is attached to the boot with double sided tape. For the price I’m happy!!
Clean! Love it
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 10:14 AM   #9
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Get an M sport steering wheel. Feels so much nicer.
      02-21-2022, 12:59 PM   #10
Overpow
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

nice car man
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 05:15 PM   #11
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
Get an M sport steering wheel. Feels so much nicer.
So I have the msport wheel in my X5 and I actually prefer the non-msport wheel for the track car. It but the standard wheel is nowhere near as nice looking, I personally prefer the feel (maybe the leather?) of the non msport.

Here is a picture of our current family... X5 is my daily, X3 is the wifes car and the 335i is my track toy
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-27-2022, 02:38 AM   #12
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Mishimoto got back to me and advised there is slight differences between US and non US cars in regards to the crash bar (really???)

But basically I need to slightly modify it… which I’m ok with.

Also ordered front and rear H&R sway bars

Had some issues with my engine support bar, finally got it all sorted so now waiting on my bearings to arrive (2 of the king bearings I ordered were incorrectly packaged and they sent 0.25 instead of std sizing)

So will drop the subframe after work this week and start to get everything ready for when the parts arrive.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Polo088161610.00
      03-17-2022, 02:08 AM   #13
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Have just finished swapping out my bearings to the King STD size bearings. All clearances were good at .002

Old bearings looked really good! Especially for 174,000kms!

Have started putting it all back together. The MMR baffle looks really good!

Sway bars arrived today and am waiting on the new water pump to arrive! Feels good putting it all back together now
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-27-2022, 01:17 AM   #14
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Slowly getting there.

Finally got time on the car this Sunday

Managed to swap out the water pump, thermostat, get the sway bar swapped over and the sub frame back on.

Feeling good now that it’s almost back together!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      04-28-2022, 06:35 PM   #15
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Feels good having the car all back together.

Have been driving around town and it looks like everything is working as it should. No leaks, no noises, just silky smooth bmw straight six

Also put the xHP transmission tune on, went straight to stage 4

Car is driving like a dream now. Will do my first Motorsport test after the changes this weekend. That will determine if I do the rear sway bar now, or later.

Future mods I want to do are the MPerformance rear helical lsd and some monoblock front brake calipers. I’ll also look to upgrade the rear subframe bushes.

But at the moment loving the car as it is, especially knowing I have catered for the most common issues
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 04:40 AM   #16
gerryi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobz_au View Post
So I have the msport wheel in my X5 and I actually prefer the non-msport wheel for the track car. It but the standard wheel is nowhere near as nice looking, I personally prefer the feel (maybe the leather?) of the non msport.

Here is a picture of our current family... X5 is my daily, X3 is the wifes car and the 335i is my track toy

This family looks so happy!
And a real cozy house! Nice one!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 12:57 AM   #17
AusMcK
Registered
Rep

Hi mate, how did you go about modifying the crash bar to fit the intercooler?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 06:40 AM   #18
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusMcK View Post
Hi mate, how did you go about modifying the crash bar to fit the intercooler?
I cut it slightly with an angle grinder.

Before I cut I marked it all out as you can get it on a little and see where it fouls. Then I cut a box shape out of the back bottom.

I would say do this based on your own assessment only. You will be removing some of the crash bar which may impact what occurs in a crash. Based on my review I am comfortable that the part I removed would not impact rigidity all that much. But I am not an engineer. I haven’t cut all that much out and if I wanted, I could weld in some addition aluminium to replace what was cut out and add back the structure.

Also worth noting that bar is primarily designed for low speed crashes to protect expensive parts like the radiator etc. worth a read of this:

https://link.springer.com/article/10...032-017-0365-y

Last edited by Tobz_au; 05-02-2022 at 07:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 01:24 AM   #19
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Couple of updates, I have the m performance front brake upgrade ordered and in the mail, this is to match the rear performance brakes I already have. Will be good to get the slightly larger 370mm disc.

To compliment this I have a set of Apex FL5 18x9.5 +35 wheels coming as well, super excited for the wheels. Got a great deal on a very slightly used set.

Also going off to do a track in Sydney called Luddenham. It’s tight and technical and a lot of fun. It is about 300kms away from me. Going with the wife and she wants a car while I’m at the track so towing it up will be interesting to see how the X5 tows with a heavy load
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 04:41 AM   #20
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Car performed awesome! Got 60-70 laps in at race pace, everything held up great! Now need a harness, body is super sore trying to stay in the seat! Also need more front camber so will likely get the M3 wishbones. Other than that awesome little car!
Attached Images

Last edited by Tobz_au; 05-22-2022 at 04:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2022, 01:12 AM   #21
F30_320D_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D M-Sport

Nice one! Car looks great. 60-70 laps is immense!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 04:00 AM   #22
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Small update, have installed the M3 front control arms. Small but significant increase to camber. At my last track day I wore the outsides of the tyres pretty bad even with the top camber plates installed. Hopefully this will help more

Edit: no idea why the picture is uploading sideways….
Attached Images

Appreciate 3