F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Tyre wear per mile
ARMA SPEED

08-30-2023, 02:52 AM   #1
Leeg1633
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW f31 330d xdrive

Tyre wear per mile

So I just had car in for recalls yesterday and BMW done the usual health check. When measuring tread depth I got the below ( pictured ) measurements. These tyres, Pirelli, were fitted 8400 miles ago which means I'm getting approx 1600 miles per mm of tread. I dont rate these tyres and will probably go for PS4's next. Question is.. is this about normal wear for an xdrive F31 330d?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 03:19 AM   #2
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

I have no idea to the answer but that level of wear feels pretty excessive. On a fwd car you would expect to get around 20k out of a set on the fronts, you are probably getting half that.
Appreciate 1
Allworth204.00
      08-30-2023, 03:26 AM   #3
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

My limited experience of Pirelli P zeros on a FWD car was they are very sticky but very soft and didn’t last long.

However, I’d take a look at why you have inner wear on one tyre and I would NOT replace only one tyre on each side on x drive. If you do you get excessive pull to the old tyre side and possibly damage the drivetrain.

In this case, I’d run the tyres a bit more and replace the full set before winter.
Appreciate 1
Leeg1633138.00
      08-30-2023, 03:33 AM   #4
Leeg1633
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

All 4 will be getting replaced at the same time and tracking done, in approx 1k miles. The near side appears to have worn faster on the front and the rear, is that normal? I've never paid too much attention to tyre wear but I was expecting to get more than 10k miles from a full set
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 04:04 AM   #5
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Are tyres 1 & 2 on the rear? If so the inner wear is due to the negative camber that BMW run and the outer shoulder wear on tyres 3 & 4 is typical especially if you do a lot of town driving as opposed to motorway.

Notwithstanding that, to wear down to just under half tread in 8K miles is pretty poor and excessive in my book. I've generally had S-drive BMW's but even though the rears used to wear faster than the fronts I would easily achieve 12K miles and still be on 4 to 5mm tread.

Nearside can wear more if your general driving includes lots of roundabouts but wouldn't expect it to be particularly excessive. A good geometry set up will help and also improve the feeling of the car once yo have some new tyres.
Appreciate 1
Leeg1633138.00
      08-30-2023, 05:03 AM   #6
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

The commonly accepted tread depth on new tyres is 8mm but it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. IIRC my Pirellis when new were about 7.2mm in * marked form (PS4S were 7.9mm). 3.5mm is still more than half worn but not quite as bad.

Were these tyres the first new ones you've fitted? How many miles did you get on the previous set?

It all comes down to driving style and situations. The PZ4 is a UHP tyre, like the PS4S, and that means performance over life. This is why I tend to disregard stock answers of 'fit this tyre' when the person hasn't even asked what the user will use it for. Granted Michelin will always wear better like for like IMO, but neither the PZ4 or PS4S are a motorway tyre, so the rubber is softer and will wear out faster than the likes of a Michelin Primacy or Pirelli Cinturato (or even Bridgestone S001). My PS4S lasted about 10-11k miles on the back on X-drive (down below the wear markers, oops) and the fronts were still at 3.5mm when I took them off at the same time, and all four were worn perfectly evenly across the tread. The same was true for the Pirelli Sottozero winters; rears worn about 40% faster than the front, and about 10-12k miles to the wear markers. In contrast the S001's that I took off the rears at 45k(ish) were the originals, and survived 12k with me. However, they were glidey, terrible under braking, terrible putting power down and very much not a UHP tyre. I don't think I've ever managed to get more than 12k from a set of genuine UHP tyres no matter who the manufacturer was or the car they were fitted to. I've had more when running plastic things like Pirelli P7's (but even then, never 20k), and on vans and 4x4's with AT's, but if you have a quick car and you're using it then the tyres will wear more quickly.

BMW's will tend to wear the outer shoulder of the front tyres and the inner shoulders of the rears if you either drive mainly in a straight linen (more the rear than the front in that scenario), or if your natural style of cornering is like most people do and just wind on more and more lock to try and make a car turn that isn't settled right. If you get the car turned in properly and then use the throttle to steer you will reduce the load on the outer shoulder of the front tyre and transfer load onto the outer of the rears. This will give you more even wear.
Appreciate 1
Leeg1633138.00
      08-30-2023, 05:31 AM   #7
Danj94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 440i

Pirelli seem to be a soft compound and wear quickly had two sets of p zeros on previous cars. I think the Conti sport contact 7 gets great reviews for grip, wear, noise etc seems to be the tyre to go for perhaps even over the famous ps4s.

good review on youtube for them, it's what ill be fitting next.
Appreciate 1
Leeg1633138.00
      08-30-2023, 05:36 AM   #8
Leeg1633
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
Are tyres 1 & 2 on the rear? If so the inner wear is due to the negative camber that BMW run and the outer shoulder wear on tyres 3 & 4 is typical especially if you do a lot of town driving as opposed to motorway.

Notwithstanding that, to wear down to just under half tread in 8K miles is pretty poor and excessive in my book. I've generally had S-drive BMW's but even though the rears used to wear faster than the fronts I would easily achieve 12K miles and still be on 4 to 5mm tread.

Nearside can wear more if your general driving includes lots of roundabouts but wouldn't expect it to be particularly excessive. A good geometry set up will help and also improve the feeling of the car once yo have some new tyres.
Tyres 1 & 2 are the fronts. I would say my driving is pretty much 50/50 motorways and roads
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 05:41 AM   #9
Leeg1633
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
The commonly accepted tread depth on new tyres is 8mm but it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. IIRC my Pirellis when new were about 7.2mm in * marked form (PS4S were 7.9mm). 3.5mm is still more than half worn but not quite as bad.

Were these tyres the first new ones you've fitted? How many miles did you get on the previous set?

It all comes down to driving style and situations. The PZ4 is a UHP tyre, like the PS4S, and that means performance over life. This is why I tend to disregard stock answers of 'fit this tyre' when the person hasn't even asked what the user will use it for. Granted Michelin will always wear better like for like IMO, but neither the PZ4 or PS4S are a motorway tyre, so the rubber is softer and will wear out faster than the likes of a Michelin Primacy or Pirelli Cinturato (or even Bridgestone S001). My PS4S lasted about 10-11k miles on the back on X-drive (down below the wear markers, oops) and the fronts were still at 3.5mm when I took them off at the same time, and all four were worn perfectly evenly across the tread. The same was true for the Pirelli Sottozero winters; rears worn about 40% faster than the front, and about 10-12k miles to the wear markers. In contrast the S001's that I took off the rears at 45k(ish) were the originals, and survived 12k with me. However, they were glidey, terrible under braking, terrible putting power down and very much not a UHP tyre. I don't think I've ever managed to get more than 12k from a set of genuine UHP tyres no matter who the manufacturer was or the car they were fitted to. I've had more [...]
Interesting write up. Yes this is my first set of new tyres on this car. I do occasionally go for quite a 'spirited' drive. I was expecting more but my expectations of more miles was from reviews I read prior to purchase rather than real life experiences by myself
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 08:58 AM   #10
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

You've got a 'grippy' tyre (rated A for grip), but don't seem particularly happy that they are grippy, so that they are wearing out fast.

Buy something less grippy and they'll wheelspin if you give it some beans.

Oh, and if you regularly drive in ice/snow conditions, a harder compound of tyre will be utterly useless compared to crossclimate or 'proper' winter tyres, even with AWD.
Appreciate 1
Leeg1633138.00
      08-30-2023, 09:31 AM   #11
Leeg1633
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
You've got a 'grippy' tyre (rated A for grip), but don't seem particularly happy that they are grippy, so that they are wearing out fast.

Buy something less grippy and they'll wheelspin if you give it some beans.

Oh, and if you regularly drive in ice/snow conditions, a harder compound of tyre will be utterly useless compared to crossclimate or 'proper' winter tyres, even with AWD.
I dont think I implied that I wasn't happy with them. Just more curious as to expected mileage. I dont regularly drive in ice or snow, however in 8°c or less, even in dry conditions I did find them disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 11:53 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeg1633 View Post
Question is.. is this about normal wear for an xdrive F31 330d?
Difficult to answer, as tyre wear is a bit like asking, "how long is a piece of string?"

Much more associated with driving style and conditions. From many years with all the answers you get from users, it is much like fuel consumption, the range can be from "half to double" someone else achieves.

As has been stated UHP tyres with soft compounds are easy to eat up.

The other factor to add, some 'replacement' generic tyres don't match the mileage of the OE fitment, even of the same make and specification...
Appreciate 1
Leeg1633138.00
      08-30-2023, 02:27 PM   #13
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Interesting write up. Yes this is my first set of new tyres on this car. I do occasionally go for quite a 'spirited' drive. I was expecting more but my expectations of more miles was from reviews I read prior to purchase rather than real life experiences by myself
My personal experience is that despite glowing reviews, some tyre manufacturers tyres never match up to these reviews in real world experience in the UK. Whether that be ambient temperatures, road surfaces or any other variable, the only consistency is that they're disappointing. Bridgestone are one such culprit. I've never had an impressive Bridgestone other than Blizzaks, and even then they lack the all round ability of other tyres at higher temps. Pirelli are another; they wear quickly and on cool and/or damp roads they feel greasy and unconnected to the road. In contrast I've always found Michelin and Good Year to be particularly good and consistent, irrespective of the reviews. Despite early reviews saying the new Conti SC7's being outstanding, these are predominantly track based reviews, not road based and so I'll keep them in the bucket of 'competent but far from outstanding' bucket that I've put all their previous tyres in. It's not that they're bad per-se but every UHP Conti has always worn reasonably quickly and just felt a little dead. Plenty of grip but at the expense of feel, balance and handling. This is where the PS4S has been strong, it's an absolute delight to dance about on tight roads despite being grippy. I don't know what it is with Michelin but they just work so well in the UK.
Appreciate 2
Leeg1633138.00
danb19791897.00
      08-30-2023, 04:58 PM   #14
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Orange F33 435dx Convertible

Tyre wear is so very variable based on driving conditions and roads. I have Good Year F1 asym 2s all round from new. xdrive with Run flats on 19" rims. Just gone under 4mm at 25,000 miles, so very pleased and surprised with that as I like to chuck it around on the country roads. Will replace them with Asym 3s when down to 3mm. Do run flats wear better?
      08-31-2023, 12:30 AM   #15
Leeg1633
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybunny View Post
Tyre wear is so very variable based on driving conditions and roads. I have Good Year F1 asym 2s all round from new. xdrive with Run flats on 19" rims. Just gone under 4mm at 25,000 miles, so very pleased and surprised with that as I like to chuck it around on the country roads. Will replace them with Asym 3s when down to 3mm. Do run flats wear better?
I like the idea of runflats, but I wouldn't go back to them, too harsh for my liking.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 12:32 AM   #16
Leeg1633
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My personal experience is that despite glowing reviews, some tyre manufacturers tyres never match up to these reviews in real world experience in the UK. Whether that be ambient temperatures, road surfaces or any other variable, the only consistency is that they're disappointing. Bridgestone are one such culprit. I've never had an impressive Bridgestone other than Blizzaks, and even then they lack the all round ability of other tyres at higher temps. Pirelli are another; they wear quickly and on cool and/or damp roads they feel greasy and unconnected to the road. In contrast I've always found Michelin and Good Year to be particularly good and consistent, irrespective of the reviews. Despite early reviews saying the new Conti SC7's being outstanding, these are predominantly track based reviews, not road based and so I'll keep them in the bucket of 'competent but far from outstanding' bucket that I've put all their previous tyres in. It's not that they're bad per-se but every UHP Conti has always worn reasonably quickly and just felt a little dead. Plenty of grip but at the expense of feel, balance and handling. This is where the PS4S has been strong, it's an absolute delight to dance about on tight roads despite being grippy. I don't know what it is with Michelin but they just work so well in the UK.
I think I will be trying the PS4s next. I agree with the greasy feeling on cold damp roads
Appreciate 1
danb19791897.00
      08-31-2023, 03:13 AM   #17
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Quote:
I think I will be trying the PS4s next. I agree with the greasy feeling on cold damp roads
I've been super happy with my GY Assym 6s since fitting them and they've not had any issues whatsoever

They got rave reviews via Jon's tyrereviews etc and that's made me choose them over the PS4s and PS5s (and the £250 saving)

But the Michelin PS4s do still interest me and will probably be my next tyre; had them on my Jap import E39 touring (albeit in 17" sizes); but they were superb tyres...

The Goodyears apparently wear quicker as they're a softer compound, but we're lucky to do more than 6k miles a year; so wear rate doesn't worry me all that much (same with fuel economy etc); but it's good to have them not wear out stupidly quickly...

Seen some reviews on various tyres where fok have said they've worn out in less than 6k miles etc...

They must drive like complete knobs; or their car needs some serious suspension tweaking!
Leeg1633138.00
      08-31-2023, 06:33 AM   #18
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Quote:
I'm also a Michelin fan but my experience of the CS7 on my 330d has been absolutely fantastic. Insane wet grip. I'd used CS2, CS3 & CS5 in the past and I would agree they were a bit vague and average grip wise, but the 7 is a completely different animal.

Bridgestone I've had good luck with, in particular the RE720 and S02, but the Bridgestones fitted to my 330d when I got it were dreadful. Not sure what model they were.

Pirelli are just hideously crap tyres unless you go for the mental Supercar grade ones. The P600, P6000 and P Zeros are probably the worst tyres I've ever experienced. Even Yokohamas grip better than those in the wet, and that's saying something.

Goodyears have been middling for me, apart from the F1 SuperSport, which is phenomenal in the dry and wet, but not as good as the PS4 from stone cold. On a par with the PS4S in that respect.

PS4 and PS4S I found to be a bit overrated, especially the PS4. The PS4 hates sudden and heavy changes of direction, such as tight roundabouts. Squeal city! The PS4S is better in that respect, but the trade off is average cold weather warm up time.

The CS7 and F1 SS have never squealed on me, ever.

I'd put the PS4S, CS7 and F1 SS down as my top 3 tyres. Hopefully the PS5 and the PS5S will address the squealing and vagueness off centre issues the current ones have....but then again, with such a horribly vague and detached steering system in the Fxx in the first place, we are in no position to complain about a lack of steering feel

But this is exactly why reviews of pretty much anything and everything should be taken with a pinch of salt, because just like oils and brakes etc, tyres have too much brand bias and subjectivity attached
Appreciate 1
Leeg1633138.00
      08-31-2023, 07:23 AM   #19
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Tyres 1 & 2 are the fronts. I would say my driving is pretty much 50/50 motorways and roads
That sounds as if there's something not quite right then with the geometry, as would expect the rears that do normally have negative camber to wear the other way inners more than outer, yours are the opposite so perhaps too much positive camber. Not that the comment relates to the overall wear but more toward you needing a geo check & set which you have on board.
Appreciate 1
Leeg1633138.00
      08-31-2023, 07:38 AM   #20
Leeg1633
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
That sounds as if there's something not quite right then with the geometry, as would expect the rears that do normally have negative camber to wear the other way inners more than outer, yours are the opposite so perhaps too much positive camber. Not that the comment relates to the overall wear but more toward you needing a geo check & set which you have on board.
I will get the geometry done once the next set of tyres are on. It was done previous to fitting this set but honestly the potholes round here have been awful and the front left wheel seems to take the worst hits.
Appreciate 1
Alscoob2120.50
      08-31-2023, 12:40 PM   #21
Ofield_94
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 430d

I got around 16k out of my old rear PS4S on a 430d sdrive. Current running PS5's on the back and they've only gone down by 1mm in the 5k miles I've had them!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 12:20 PM   #22
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

my goodyear asymmetric 3's (non run-flats) on the fronts lasted 4 years, almost to the day, before i had to replace both for MOT last week.
That was a total mileage covered of 24331 miles.
That's probably 70/30 motorway/urban and when it comes to roundabouts i don't hang about.
I've stuck with goodyear and replaced with asymmetric 6's, the 3's were great especially in the wet and don't understand why people bother paying a whole lot more for very expensive michelins, unless you are driving on the absolute edge of grip on the limit, everywhere - which absolutely no one is.

therefore you should be expecting a lot more from your tyres.
Appreciate 0