F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Catted, CEL & Emissions
Extreme Powerhouse

05-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #1
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Catted, CEL & Emissions

Hey guys, has anyone here gone with a catted downpipe? Anyone experience a CEL if so? I'm talking to a seller about a catted ER DP because I don't want super loud, the smell, and less chance of a CEL since I will have to do emissions test around the time my CPO runs out actually.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #2
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailec View Post
Hey guys, has anyone here gone with a catted downpipe? Anyone experience a CEL if so? I'm talking to a seller about a catted ER DP because I don't want super loud, the smell, and less chance of a CEL since I will have to do emissions test around the time my CPO runs out actually.
Sub'd...

Same boat. Same thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #3
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
The only catted DP that won’t trigger a CEL (supposedly), is Fabspeed, which uses an HJS core.

The only other potential one is from Active Autowerke (not yet released), which will use a GESI core.
Appreciate 1
thug10820.50
      05-11-2018, 07:00 PM   #4
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

Before getting my BM3, I ran my Fabspeed catted DP and only when the car was pushed really hard would I get a CEL to trigger for a bit until it turned off. The smell is bearable (noticeable more so when pushing the car but not nearly as bad as the catless I've been behind before). So just be mindful that it may not happen often but it sure is possible to trigger a CEL even with the HJS core that Fabspeed utilizes.

The DP is on an F30 with an M performance exhaust as I still want to enjoy having windows down with my music playing so I didn't opt for a more audible exhaust as with the DP, even in comfort mode it sounds great and in Sport / + it gets aggressive enough for my taste.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 07:20 PM   #5
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfectluck View Post
Before getting my BM3, I ran my Fabspeed catted DP and only when the car was pushed really hard would I get a CEL to trigger for a bit until it turned off. The smell is bearable (noticeable more so when pushing the car but not nearly as bad as the catless I've been behind before). So just be mindful that it may not happen often but it sure is possible to trigger a CEL even with the HJS core that Fabspeed utilizes.

The DP is on an F30 with an M performance exhaust as I still want to enjoy having windows down with my music playing so I didn't opt for a more audible exhaust as with the DP, even in comfort mode it sounds great and in Sport / + it gets aggressive enough for my taste.
So I have a BM3 license but I haven't flashed yet. Does BM3 work to clear CEL and at least enable you to pass emissions?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 07:26 PM   #6
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailec View Post
So I have a BM3 license but I haven't flashed yet. Does BM3 work to clear CEL and at least enable you to pass emissions?
Yes it clears CEL (default on Stage 2), but no it won’t pass emissions because OBD readiness is bypassed.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 07:28 PM   #7
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep

Kailec We have emissions check here in NYC and the Fabspeed DP passed it (last Feb) and my tuner also ran a OBD readiness check after I had my tune put on and everything passed fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 08:26 PM   #8
Forgiven
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22, X5 45e

Hey, I have the latest version of AFE catted downpipe that was replaced a year ago. It does not trigger CEL as they promised and I can approve that.

Let me know if you are interested in my catted downpipe since my wife want my car to be quite r.. I have AFE aftermarket exhaust along with AFE downpipe.
      05-11-2018, 09:28 PM   #9
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Kailec We have emissions check here in NYC and the Fabspeed DP passed it (last Feb) and my tuner also ran a OBD readiness check after I had my tune put on and everything passed fine.
Is this a custom tuner for BM3? Is it something I can do on my own through BM3?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 09:39 PM   #10
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep

Kailec Yeah, Enzo though I went to see him in person since he's in the same state as myself but yes you can put in requests for a tuner sending along your original stock readout and with the mods that you have and they will charge and shoot you over a custom tune for your vehicle.

I too first started with the stage 2 OTS map and then decided to get a custom tune if I already vested so much might as well get a tune that's going to be right for my vehicle and its setup so I went forth with it and worked with Enzo to dial in the tune even further to where I like it.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 10:17 PM   #11
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Kailec Yeah, Enzo though I went to see him in person since he's in the same state as myself but yes you can put in requests for a tuner sending along your original stock readout and with the mods that you have and they will charge and shoot you over a custom tune for your vehicle.

I too first started with the stage 2 OTS map and then decided to get a custom tune if I already vested so much might as well get a tune that's going to be right for my vehicle and its setup so I went forth with it and worked with Enzo to dial in the tune even further to where I like it.
Is there anything I can do myself for an OBD readiness check?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 10:24 PM   #12
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep

Kailec Yeah, if you could something like this should do the job for you

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Autel-Aut...&wl13=&veh=sem
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 08:43 PM   #13
rcaso26
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive

I have BM3 stage 1. If I were to upgrade to a high flow catted downpipe with BM3 clearing the CEL (if there is one), what do I need to do to pass NY emissions testing? Failing NY emissions is the only thing holding me back from getting a downpipe (id rather get a catted downpipe for less noise and less smell).

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0