F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Apple CarPlay Retrofit - Done! (Update:16/11/18...now also with full screen function)
proTUNING Freaks

11-24-2018, 10:35 AM   #221
SRL19
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d Touring

Hello all,

I’ve been following this thread for a while now, but am still confused about a couple of things. Similarly to someone else, I used a naff hire car the other day and was very surprised to see it had CarPlay.

I have a 64 plate 335d F31 touring with what I believe to be ID4 (photo hopefully attached) and would like to enable CarPlay if possible. Having read so far, I believe that I have two options if I want to get CarPlay: buy a new headunit, WiFi unit and CarPlay codes or use a third party MMI, like bimmer-tech.

For the first (and preferable) option, am I right in thinking that I will need to buy an ID5 headunit (unsure of exact part no.?), a WiFi antennae (61119372321), and then acquire codes to activate CarPlay? Is that a complete list of parts, or have I missed anything?

As for the MMI option, has anyone got any experience of the bimmer-tech kit? What is the quality like? Can I use the integral BMW USB under the armrest? Basically, I’m wondering if these kits are any good? I’d prefer to stick with standard BMW parts, but am willing to look at alternatives if an OEM option isn’t possible in my car.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 03:03 PM   #222
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

On your car, it depends on whether that headunit is an NBT or NBT evo unit, go to the MAP screen, press the options button on the idrive controller and go into the navigation settings > position and version > version information - if it says Evo in there then you can swap the headunit and retain all online services, providing you buy a unit coded to your vin.

If it is not an evo unit then you'll need a special emulator because most evo ID5 units don't come with a GPS plug on the back of them so this has to be provided by an emulator. Doing it that way means you lose the online services but Waze & google maps use live traffic, so not a big deal.
      11-27-2018, 04:45 AM   #223
SRL19
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d Touring

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have checked the car, and believe I have NBT (see picture). So, with my current headunit, is it not possible to swap it over for a newer headunit that is capable of using CarPlay (ID5/6)?

Am I able to buy a ID5/6 unit, somehow get it coded to my VIN, buy a WiFi antenna if necessary and enable CarPlay by acquiring an FSC code?

I’m not too bothered about losing online services if I’m able to get CarPlay working.

Thanks again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 06:48 AM   #224
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL19 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have checked the car, and believe I have NBT (see picture). So, with my current headunit, is it not possible to swap it over for a newer headunit that is capable of using CarPlay (ID5/6)?

Am I able to buy a ID5/6 unit, somehow get it coded to my VIN, buy a WiFi antenna if necessary and enable CarPlay by acquiring an FSC code?

I’m not too bothered about losing online services if I’m able to get CarPlay working.

Thanks again.
Yep, 100% possible.
      11-27-2018, 08:32 AM   #225
alg7_munif
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330e

I bought CarPlay code and VIM code for USB and they worked before. Last couple of week my car has been recalled for starter motor replacement and they updated the thing, now my CarPlay is gone.

Tried to use the USB file again but it won't work anymore. My Nav and Voice Command still work. Should I try the VIM code since it is a separate file?

Is there any way for me to get back CarPlay and VIM working?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 09:06 AM   #226
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alg7_munif View Post
I bought CarPlay code and VIM code for USB and they worked before. Last couple of week my car has been recalled for starter motor replacement and they updated the thing, now my CarPlay is gone.

Tried to use the USB file again but it won't work anymore. My Nav and Voice Command still work. Should I try the VIM code since it is a separate file?

Is there any way for me to get back CarPlay and VIM working?
the USB coding is blocked by the latest firmware. go back to your code supplier.
      11-27-2018, 11:21 AM   #227
alg7_munif
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbles View Post
the USB coding is blocked by the latest firmware. go back to your code supplier.
Can I get a permanent solution from you? Can pm me your offer. Hoping to get a lasting solution instead of time limited from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 02:45 PM   #228
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alg7_munif View Post
Can I get a permanent solution from you? Can pm me your offer. Hoping to get a lasting solution instead of time limited from BMW.
There are no permanent solutions. BMW have blocked all the USB activations in the latest firmware.
      11-27-2018, 08:17 PM   #229
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 X1

I have a 2018 X1 with the smaller screen (Alpine Entry Evo? No Navigation). Is there any way to activate CarPlay in my car without the expensive MMI kit?

I would pay to even get it done by BMW but i've been getting mixed messaging.

(I haven't done any firmware updates in months if that helps)

Last edited by quote; 11-27-2018 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 01:11 AM   #230
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quote View Post
I have a 2018 X1 with the smaller screen (Alpine Entry Evo? No Navigation). Is there any way to activate CarPlay in my car without the expensive MMI kit?

I would pay to even get it done by BMW but i've been getting mixed messaging.

(I haven't done any firmware updates in months if that helps)
No, sorry. It's OEM activation or an MMI kit on that unit.
      11-28-2018, 04:45 AM   #231
Registered
Rep

Quote:
No, sorry. It's OEM activation or an MMI kit on that unit.
What is OEM activation? Is it something US BMW dealerships will do post purchase?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 08:17 AM   #232
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

Quote:
What is OEM activation? Is it something US BMW dealerships will do post purchase?
it is via the BMW connected drive store.
      11-29-2018, 11:54 PM   #233
Registered
Rep

Quote:
it is via the BMW connected drive store.
ah, that’s missing from my connected drive store. i’m guessing i’m missing a needed package of some kind.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 01:18 PM   #234
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

Quote:
ah, that’s missing from my connected drive store. i’m guessing i’m missing a needed package of some kind.
You'll be missing hardware.
      12-01-2018, 03:15 AM   #235
starwilling
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
You'll be missing hardware.
Hi, do you sale OEM CarPlay FSC?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #236
fatwok
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 328d wagon

EBT and Wifi Antenna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R99 View Post
Antenna is from BMW - part number is in one of my previous posts if you need it - they are under £20 from the dealers!

It plugs the HU, but it’s on the back of it so you have to remove the HU to get to it sadly.

I can take pictures on Sunday if you want? Craig (Wibbles) will be doing the work.
How do I find out if my 2018 328d wagon has enhanced Bluetooth and wifi antenna? I would really like to get carplay and screen mirroring.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 10:28 AM   #237
Deleted-User
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatwok View Post
How do I find out if my 2018 328d wagon has enhanced Bluetooth and wifi antenna? I would really like to get carplay and screen mirroring.
I was able to plug in the WiFi Antenna without removing the headunit. I just removed the bottom cover, inserted my hand to feel where the open is (I looked a diagram online first to make sure) then I routed the cable while my hand was in the pocket and snapped it into place.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #238
Mrklaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 320i msport

No navigation or now playing info in the instrument cluster from CarPlay? Apparently that’s been an option in CarPlay since 2016 but isn’t widely supported
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 11:40 AM   #239
Simon89
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D XDrive

My F30 is a late 2013 model with the business navigation (champ). Can I buy an NBT headunit and screen, install and activate CarPlay?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 03:45 AM   #240
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwilling View Post
Hi, do you sale OEM CarPlay FSC?
There is no such thing as an OEM Carplay FSC code - BMW activate via Provisioning file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatwok View Post
Check your VIN in an online decoder - see if your car has any of the following options: 6NW. 6WD, 6CP - if yes then you have the antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrklaw View Post
No navigation or now playing info in the instrument cluster from CarPlay? Apparently that’s been an option in CarPlay since 2016 but isn’t widely supported
That is down to BMw not integrating carplay in that manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon89 View Post
My F30 is a late 2013 model with the business navigation (champ). Can I buy an NBT headunit and screen, install and activate CarPlay?
Yes but more than just the headunit & screen are required - Most NBT Evo ID5 units don't have a GPS socket on the back so a special emulator is required or an ATM retrofit in order to supply the GPS signal to the headunit.
      12-03-2018, 05:35 AM   #241
Simon89
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D XDrive

Quote:
Yes but more than just the headunit & screen are required - Most NBT Evo ID5 units don't have a GPS socket on the back so a special emulator is required or an ATM retrofit in order to supply the GPS signal to the headunit.
So would something like this be any good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-F30-F...aLJQ:rk:2:pf:0
      12-03-2018, 06:57 AM   #242
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon89 View Post
So would something like this be any good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-F30-F...aLJQ:rk:2:pf:0
Nope, that is an older NBT ID3 unit, not capable of running Carplay natively.