F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > NBT Evo Touch IDrive Controller Retrofit on NBT
Studio RSR

05-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #1
speed608
Private First Class
Malawi
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

NBT Evo Touch IDrive Controller Retrofit on NBT

Does anyone know if it’s possible to retrofit the newer touch iDrive controller to the older NBT.

I have the standard controller with small knob and want to upgrade to the controller with the bigger knob and thought why not get the newer Evo Controller instead if it will work that is. I don’t need the touch functionality just want the better look of the bigger controller.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed608 View Post
Does anyone know if it’s possible to retrofit the newer touch iDrive controller to the older NBT.

I have the standard controller with small knob and want to upgrade to the controller with the bigger knob and thought why not get the newer Evo Controller instead if it will work that is. I don’t need the touch functionality just want the better look of the bigger controller.
Yes you can retrofit a larger NBT Touch Controller but you need to retire to KCAN2 bus.

The larger NBT Touch units from 2014-2015 are not NBT EVO units.

You do not need a NBT EVO controller.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 03:04 PM   #3
speed608
Private First Class
Malawi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Yes you can retrofit a larger NBT Touch Controller but you need to retire to KCAN2 bus.

The larger NBT Touch units from 2014-2015 are not NBT EVO units.

You do not need a NBT EVO controller.
I understand that the larger controllers will work with the NBT I have but I thought since I’m buying one from eBay and there are some well priced NBT Evo controllers available I thought why not buy the newer controller.But I don’t want to risk the newer controllers not working with the older NBT unit.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2018, 06:47 AM   #4
speed608
Private First Class
Malawi
Rep

I think what I meant is will controller from the id5/6 NBT work with the older NBT. That’s the pic of the controller I’m enquiring about.
Attached Images

Last edited by speed608; 05-06-2018 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: Added a picture
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2018, 09:55 AM   #5
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed608 View Post
I think what I meant is will controller from the id5/6 NBT work with the older NBT. That’s the pic of the controller I’m enquiring about.
It will work as ZBE3 and ZBE4 are pretty much identical. Just make sure that if the vehicle has any warranty left on it, to put the original controller back in because you never had ZBE4 from factory and dealer programming will not go through.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2018, 10:23 AM   #6
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
It will work as ZBE3 and ZBE4 are pretty much identical. Just make sure that if the vehicle has any warranty left on it, to put the original controller back in because you never had ZBE4 from factory and dealer programming will not go through.
Yes. Instead of wiring direct, I installed several plugs in place so I can plug in the older controller in 5 seconds when car needs to go to Dealer.

Never seen anyone else mention it and wonder what they do with wiring when it goes back to Dealer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-06-2018, 01:21 PM   #7
speed608
Private First Class
Malawi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
Thank You very much for the confirmation and advise on when it goes in for service.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 11:58 AM   #8
cozzzz
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i

Quote:
Yes. Instead of wiring direct, I installed several plugs in place so I can plug in the older controller in 5 seconds when car needs to go to Dealer.

Never seen anyone else mention it and wonder what they do with wiring when it goes back to Dealer.
Hi, bumping an old thread here but I was wondering if there is any specific reason for that custom wiring you made. I am looking to upgrade the controller to zb4 as well and as far as I can see, they all have the same 4-pin plug(G20, G30, newer F30 etc). Putting back the old one when going to the dealer would just be a matter of plugging in/out in that plug right? or am I missing something
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 04:27 PM   #9
Alexf92
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F45 225XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzzz View Post
Quote:

Hi, bumping an old thread here but I was wondering if there is any specific reason for that custom wiring you made. I am looking to upgrade the controller to zb4 as well and as far as I can see, they all have the same 4-pin plug(G20, G30, newer F30 etc). Putting back the old one when going to the dealer would just be a matter of plugging in/out in that plug right? or am I missing something
I haven't retrofitted the nbt evo.

But looking at the pictures I imagine the new controller requires additional cables to function. Maybe some sort of controller to change the canbus signals?

Therefore with his plug I would think it would save chopping the cables and therefore to remove the idrive controller without his plugs it would require undoing the modifications and recrimping cables together which the may cause issues if he took it to bmw they could blame his retrofit.

Something along them lines anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 08:34 AM   #10
cozzzz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexf92 View Post
I haven't retrofitted the nbt evo.

But looking at the pictures I imagine the new controller requires additional cables to function. Maybe some sort of controller to change the canbus signals?

Therefore with his plug I would think it would save chopping the cables and therefore to remove the idrive controller without his plugs it would require undoing the modifications and recrimping cables together which the may cause issues if he took it to bmw they could blame his retrofit.

Something along them lines anyway.
I did this retrofit eventually, found a listing for the updated controller at a local salvage yard and went to check it out. Turns out there are (at least) 2 variants for the nbt evo controller when it comes to button configuration: one with media/com and map/nav rocker buttons(this is what I think most people mean when refering to the new nbt evo controller) AND one version that has the exact buttons as the nbt controller which I have. That's the one I got, it's a straight swap with the old one, has the same 4-pin plug and requires no coding.

Old part number is 65829350723, new one is 65826829086. Also Realoem for the new one shows the old one as 'Exchangeable retrospectively'.

Side note: I also tried the one with media/com and map/nav buttons and while it also worked right away, the Com and Map buttons worked as Radio and Tel, which is weird but somewhat normal since they have the same placement.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 01:00 PM   #11
RalF-BMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzzz View Post
I did this retrofit eventually, found a listing for the updated controller at a local salvage yard and went to check it out. Turns out there are (at least) 2 variants for the nbt evo controller when it comes to button configuration: one with media/com and map/nav rocker buttons(this is what I think most people mean when refering to the new nbt evo controller) AND one version that has the exact buttons as the nbt controller which I have. That's the one I got, it's a straight swap with the old one, has the same 4-pin plug and requires no coding.

Old part number is 65829350723, new one is 65826829086. Also Realoem for the new one shows the old one as 'Exchangeable retrospectively'.

Side note: I also tried the one with media/com and map/nav buttons and while it also worked right away, the Com and Map buttons worked as Radio and Tel, which is weird but somewhat normal since they have the same placement.

If you go from the control pictured on the left to the new version with the com/ map buttons, do you need to change or upgrade the idrive controller unit?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 11:03 AM   #12
cozzzz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalF-BMW View Post
If you go from the control pictured on the left to the new version with the com/ map buttons, do you need to change or upgrade the idrive controller unit?
Nope, I tested it and it worked fine, except Com and Map work just like the buttons on the same position in the old controller. Com ---> Radio, Map ---> Tel
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 04:53 PM   #13
Elvin86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F34gt

Does the new idriver controller have a touch module in it?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 05:38 PM   #14
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

No, still need the separate TBX module.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 03:27 AM   #15
Elvin86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F34gt

my idriver touch is 65826829086 have mounted touch module with idriver. touch works on phone search but not on navi or other functions. have tried to code with bimmercode zbe touch zbe navi but still doesn't work. Anyone who has upgraded who can help me?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0