F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Used cars prices are going bonkers!
ARMA SPEED

06-23-2021, 07:35 AM   #23
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
That's crazy. I just put in the reg of the 72k mile 14 plate 335d I sold in March 2020 just before lockdown. WBAC offered £12,300 so not sure why they are less keen on my old car. Is your car low mileage?
I agree thats a crazy figure, and I am half tempted as its done about 500 miles in the last year! Mines on 52k miles. Thing is though with my luck as soon as I got rid of it I'd need a car for work again!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 07:58 AM   #24
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP YMB

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
On the other hand you could have splashed out on a new M3/M4 and then needed to sell it - I see a few about with 1000 miles on the clock and they're worth over £20k less than the purchase price according to WBAC - at this rate mine will be worth more than a G80 in 12 months
      06-23-2021, 08:03 AM   #25
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

I think the current inflated values are only helpful if you're looking to sell a car you won't need to replace; as others have said, if you're going to have to buy something else it's the bit in the middle that matters and if you're going to have to pay more for the replacement you're not really gaining anything.

There's also an element of can you even find a suitable replacement at the moment. Mrs JNW1's sister has just returned to the UK and is a cash buyer looking for something up to around £18k; however, the forecourts at a lot of the dealers around here are half empty which is presumably why they're prepared to pay such strong money to secure stock! Generally someone who's a cash buyer with no part-ex is in a strong position but not so much in this market....
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 08:16 AM   #26
Abrek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY18 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
I think the current inflated values are only helpful if you're looking to sell a car you won't need to replace; as others have said, if you're going to have to buy something else it's the bit in the middle that matters and if you're going to have to pay more for the replacement you're not really gaining anything.

There's also an element of can you even find a suitable replacement at the moment. Mrs JNW1's sister has just returned to the UK and is a cash buyer looking for something up to around £18k; however, the forecourts at a lot of the dealers around here are half empty which is presumably why they're prepared to pay such strong money to secure stock! Generally someone who's a cash buyer with no part-ex is in a strong position but not so much in this market....
Quote:

Absolutely agreed, hence why I felt it was good opportunity to go left field and order Tesla. If inflation in the next two years will be as bad as a lot of people predicting, we will see big price rises on new cars
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 08:21 AM   #27
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bars111 View Post
there's a difference on what's on paper vs what happens in practice.
I'm not talking consumer price inflation or or retail price index.

cost of big ticket purchases are going up
-housing
-cars
-holidays (once some stability returns)
-supermarket shopping (BOGOF deals etc much less prominent)

wages certainly aren't increasing in line with this.

real effects are starting to creep through but will only really be felt from the tail end of this year. Lets revisit this topic next year.
I tend to agree, not sure we are looking as high as 20% though....... having said that the sh1te storm will hit and hit hard at some point in the not so distant future.

IMO not a good time to be splashing the cash.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 08:31 AM   #28
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abzynthe View Post
WBAC currently offering me £25,180 for my F36 440i. December 2017 with 16k miles.

I also have about 4/5 people offered to buy my car when I sell, so could probably get an extra couple of K on top of that lol.
Im not planning on selling though, although its very tempting.
I know what you mean. Get out of a 20-month old car that sits on the drive most of the time and pocket £2K.

Stratstone are supporting the M135i just now to the tune of £4,673 with 2.9% APR, £399 deposit & £399 pm on a 48-month PCP

Would save me £160pcm on the PCP, lower VED band, lower fuel cost, I'd be able to buy decent non-RFT tyres, similar performance.... hmmm...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 09:03 AM   #29
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bars111 View Post
there's a difference on what's on paper vs what happens in practice.
I'm not talking consumer price inflation or or retail price index.

cost of big ticket purchases are going up
-housing
-cars
-holidays (once some stability returns)
-supermarket shopping (BOGOF deals etc much less prominent)

wages certainly aren't increasing in line with this.

real effects are starting to creep through but will only really be felt from the tail end of this year. Lets revisit this topic next year.
agree houses are going up more (9 to 10% according to reports I read), cars (short term supply issue), holidays (short term demand issue) but not sure I have seen my supermarket shop increase by very much at all....

20% I think is a made up number with no support, and unlike some others I dont see massive inflation continuing for the long term, short term blips will correct, and the main cause then will be wage inflation due to shortage of resource....

A bit of inflation is OK as long as we arent so far out of line with rest of world that our competitiveness suffers - but even then the ER mechanism should adjust to bring converted prices back into line....

But happy to look back next summer and see if we had or have 20% inflation. I am old enough to remember the days of inflation at those levels and none of the the causes then are in place now...
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2021, 09:06 AM   #30
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethbridge View Post
On the other hand you could have splashed out on a new M3/M4 and then needed to sell it - I see a few about with 1000 miles on the clock and they're worth over £20k less than the purchase price according to WBAC - at this rate mine will be worth more than a G80 in 12 months
Even on a new G80, no one is paying near list, are they?

And yours will never be worth more than a G80, the looks will grow and the F80 will start to look old hat.... that's just how life works but takes a bit longer when the new one is more radical....
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 09:14 AM   #31
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrek View Post
Quote:

Absolutely agreed, hence why I felt it was good opportunity to go left field and order Tesla. If inflation in the next two years will be as bad as a lot of people predicting, we will see big price rises on new cars
I certainly get the thinking in your case; not much in the way of discounts available on Teslas at any time - so the deal on that is pretty much what you'd get anyway - but you've got a load more than you expecting for your 435d and hence the cost to change is as small as it's likely to get. Makes total sense in that scenario, hope the Model 3 meets expectations when it arrives!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 09:24 AM   #32
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP YMB

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post

And yours will never be worth more than a G80, the looks will grow and the F80 will start to look old hat.... that's just how life works but takes a bit longer when the new one is more radical....
You'd be surprised - the discounts just aren't there outside of the Armed Forces/NHS scheme through Park Lane most are struggling to get more than 8% from a select few dealers - the stock just isn't there - especially if you want AWD - situation is not looking like it is going to change much this year. That's why they are a significant step up from the F8X as the GFV is very little more and there's no 0% so PCPs are eye watering... my other point was an attempt at making the point that the G8X seems to be the exception at the moment where despite limited stock and the market in general being strong and limited discounts etc the used car market is dropping fast if you take any notice of the likes of WBAC - so it is fact that mine is increasing while the G8X is decreasing... Of course I'm not expecting mine to be worth more at any point it is 3 years older...
      06-23-2021, 09:31 AM   #33
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:

Generally it's the reverse of that, it's more profitable to sell to someone who wants finance and has a part ex, the dealer gets the margin on the car then the finance commission and another car to sell (rinse and repeat)

A cash buyer with no part ex is the least profitable opportunity for a dealer, all things being equal there is zero commercial reason for the cash buyer to get a better deal the lack of a part ex being the biggest issue.
      06-23-2021, 09:31 AM   #34
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abzynthe View Post
WBAC currently offering me £25,180 for my F36 440i. December 2017 with 16k miles.

I also have about 4/5 people offered to buy my car when I sell, so could probably get an extra couple of K on top of that lol.
Im not planning on selling though, although its very tempting.
I know what you mean. Get out of a 20-month old car that sits on the drive most of the time and pocket £2K.

Stratstone are supporting the M135i just now to the tune of £4,673 with 2.9% APR, £399 deposit & £399 pm on a 48-month PCP

Would save me £160pcm on the PCP, lower VED band, lower fuel cost, I'd be able to buy decent non-RFT tyres, similar performance.... hmmm...
Worth checking they are still offering that deal, mind… My local dealer will not be matching that any time soon… I believe there are still some slots for September…
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2021, 09:34 AM   #35
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:

I think a lot has changed in the last few weeks… discounts are not now what they were in April… dealers have to make margin now on less available cars.. it is seriously bonkers out there at the mo…
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 09:39 AM   #36
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
You'd be surprised - the discounts just aren't there outside of the Armed Forces/NHS scheme through Park Lane most are struggling to get more than 8% from a select few dealers - the stock just isn't there - especially if you want AWD - situation is not looking like it is going to change much this year. That's why they are a significant step up from the F8X as the GFV is very little more and there's no 0% so PCPs are eye watering... my other point was an attempt at making the point that the G8X seems to be the exception at the moment where despite limited stock and the market in general being strong and limited discounts etc the used car market is dropping fast if you take any notice of the likes of WBAC - so it is fact that mine is increasing while the G8X is decreasing... Of course I'm not expecting mine to be worth more at any point it is 3 years older...
Ta, havent looked at the G80 prices since they first came out when I laughed at the list and the residual....
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 10:25 AM   #37
cramsnik
Crustacean denier
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
That's crazy. I just put in the reg of the 72k mile 14 plate 335d I sold in March 2020 just before lockdown. WBAC offered £12,300 so not sure why they are less keen on my old car. Is your car low mileage?
Just put mine in, 2014 335D with 78k on the clock comes out at £11,800
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      06-23-2021, 10:26 AM   #38
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Worth checking they are still offering that deal, mind… My local dealer will not be matching that any time soon… I believe there are still some slots for September…
I've emailed them to see what the script is, and will let you know....
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 10:36 AM   #39
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:
Generally it's the reverse of that, it's more profitable to sell to someone who wants finance and has a part ex, the dealer gets the margin on the car then the finance commission and another car to sell (rinse and repeat)

A cash buyer with no part ex is the least profitable opportunity for a dealer, all things being equal there is zero commercial reason for the cash buyer to get a better deal the lack of a part ex being the biggest issue.
Your experience must be different from mine as selling my old one privately - and negotiating on the replacement without a part-ex in the equation - has invariably worked best for me; aside from getting more for my existing car I've always found it easier to negotiate a good price on the replacement without a part-ex muddying the waters. Perhaps it's different if you're part-exchanging something really desirable to a dealer who wants to retail it on their forecourt but most just move run of the mill stuff straight through the trade; Mrs JNW1's sister is fancying a used Mini but, even in normal times, you don't see many non-Minis on the forecourts of Mini dealers - problem at the moment is there aren't very many Minis either!

I do take your point about commission on finance but (as I obviously should have made clear!) when I was talking cash buyer in this context I didn't necessarily mean she wouldn't take finance, only that she had nothing to sell or trade-in. That said I've never been offered a better deal on a used car when I've offered to take finance; different with a new car when there's been support from someone like BMWFS to take a PCP but on a used one whenever I've asked if they can do better if I take their finance there's been nothing doing....
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 10:42 AM   #40
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

It has got to a point now if you want Big Discounts with the likes of BMW, Audi, Merc etc you need to take out their finance. Nothing stopping you paying it off as soon as you take delivery though which is what I did with the 840 and it didnt cost me a penny extra
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #41
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
It's absolutely crazy at the moment. I paid just over £48K for my new X3 M40i in November 2019, the exact same spec & slightly higher mileage is selling at c. £46K now at the stealer's. A quick check on WBAC values mine at just shy of £44K. I haven't checked if that sees me in positive equity, and don't really have any intention of getting rid of the X3 as I really love it, but it does make you think about the inevitable longer term move to EV's as the OP's done...

EDIT: I actually had a recent statement from BMW so it looks like even with a WBAC valuation I'd be about £2K in the black.
In about 4 months Mr TP's X3 M40i has gone from about £6k negative equity to £1,500 positive equity!
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2021, 11:42 AM   #42
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
In about 4 months Mr TP's X3 M40i has gone from about £6k negative equity to £1,500 positive equity!
Pretty much the same here. Does make you wonder if this is a good time to 'get out' ?

I didn't put anything in at the start, so to walk away now with £1.5-£2K equity in my pocket, and no balloon payment looming in a couple of years' time feels tempting... with the proviso that I'd still need wheels of some sort.

Mrs BT has a year old 118i which is a perfectly decent & adequate motor; if I'm going to be working 50-75% at home in the next year or two before I retire, and I don't need to regularly drive any great distance for work, then pocketing the cash and just buying a decent city car might be the sensible thing to do.

Nah! I like my noisy big f-off ICE beastie too much.

Still....
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 11:53 AM   #43
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Pretty much the same here. Does make you wonder if this is a good time to 'get out' ?

I didn't put anything in at the start, so to walk away now with £1.5-£2K equity in my pocket, and no balloon payment looming in a couple of years' time feels tempting... with the proviso that I'd still need wheels of some sort.

Mrs BT has a year old 118i which is a perfectly decent & adequate motor; if I'm going to be working 50-75% at home in the next year or two before I retire, and I don't need to regularly drive any great distance for work, then pocketing the cash and just buying a decent city car might be the sensible thing to do.

Still....
Its a conundrum isn't it? I don't need my car, I have another. And whilst I put in a sizable deposit, I can get that and more out if I sell now....

But there is more to life than money and you have to have some fun.... and I just know if I sold it wearing my sensible head I'd be buying another wearing my less sensible head a few weeks or months later....

So I might as well keep the one I have a bit longer... and it is nice and clean now!
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2021, 12:04 PM   #44
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post

Still....
Mr TP is getting itchy fingers.. he's been looking at Velars!
Appreciate 0