F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Test drive a Tesla….
proTUNING Freaks

09-07-2021, 05:27 PM   #45
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
I've always thought that they would rather supplant Shell then General Motors, and that was the game plan.
Agree. I've always thought that the infrastructure was the end goal, with regular income. I think the cars are just a way to achieve that. Other manufacturers are / will always get there with the car tech, but at the end of the day, they are car companies. I see Tesla as a power company, that happens to currently make cars.
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2021, 11:07 PM   #46
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
I see Tesla as a power company, that happens to currently make cars.
I think you may be under estimating Elon Musks ego just a little, people who dream of been the next EDF or British Gas don't build stuff like this!!

Tesla is currently spending who knows how much $$$$$$$ on building the world's most powerful Supercomputer, along with trying to recruit the best AI software engineers around. Tesla's currently valuation is DOUBLE that of Toyota + VAG combined!!

That valuation is largely based on Tesla been able to deliver autonomous driving technology with their current fleet of car, which if they manage to do will revolutionise personal transportation overnight and potentially end the concept of personal car ownership.

https://www.networkworld.com/article...ims-valid.html

It all sounds like BS and a 5 year olds dream but than so does what Space X is doing right now. The Dojo Supercomputer is suppose to be coming on line next year with the latest version of the current FSD beta code been released to testers in the US this Friday. I suspect the next 12 months will either see Tesla share price collapse (to reflect the actual number of cars they sell compared to VAG/Toyota) or double/tripe if they can demonstrate full autonomy is with in reach!!

Last edited by gangzoom; 09-07-2021 at 11:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 02:59 AM   #47
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Indeed. I don't think it will come to that but Tesla are tripling their UK network apparently and it will be once in blue moon I'd need to charge away from home.

Also there's no queuing for hours its 1/2 hr max charge time and then some nice hefty fees kick in for Idle Fees.

Qtr on Qtr the network will improve.

Of course what we all want it just for it to be a perfect scenario with access for all and common adapters / plus and sites that work well! It will take some time but home charging will do me and would probably use the train for visits >3hr drive anyway now.
Yes this.

There's always so much focus on public charging/refuelling, as that's effectively what people use for their ICE vehicles, however with an EV your fuel station is at home (assuming off-street parking etc).

And in the 18 months I've been driving an EV, I've seen significant growth in the public charging network. It is changing rapidly.

However I will also state that if I had to run an EV without the ability to charge at home, well, F that!
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 1
JustChris17427.50
      09-08-2021, 03:13 AM   #48
Bryans69
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
I think you may be under estimating Elon Musks ego just a little, people who dream of been the next EDF or British Gas don't build stuff like this!!

Tesla is currently spending who knows how much $$$$$$$ on building the world's most powerful Supercomputer, along with trying to recruit the best AI software engineers around. Tesla's currently valuation is DOUBLE that of Toyota + VAG combined!!

That valuation is largely based on Tesla been able to deliver autonomous driving technology with their current fleet of car, which if they manage to do will revolutionise personal transportation overnight and potentially end the concept of personal car ownership.

https://www.networkworld.com/article...ims-valid.html

It all sounds like BS and a 5 year olds dream but than so does what Space X is doing right now. The Dojo Supercomputer is suppose to be coming on line next year with the latest version of the current FSD beta code been released to testers in the US this Friday. I suspect the next 12 months will either see Tesla share price collapse (to reflect the actual number of cars they sell compared to VAG/Toyota) or double/tripe if they can demonstrate full autonomy is with in reach!!

You are correct, power company isn't really what I meant, but a provider of infrastructure that others are tied into. This is also what he is doing with SpaceX and the Starlink network, which if successful could be even more significant than the Tesla stuff.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 03:25 AM   #49
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

^Don't forget Elons vision for SpaceX is Mars.

Cannot remember how much NASA spent on the Saturn V but its mad to see a private company come up with something bigger!

Ultimately all of this is just a game to Musk, his personal wealth is so big if everything goes pop he couldn't careless, it does make all the companies he has set up interesting to follow.

Appreciate 1
sahajesh2290.00
      09-08-2021, 04:02 AM   #50
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

It does make me laugh that Tesla EV is supposed to save the planet from carbon but on the other hand with no doubt some of the money being made from them he's firing rockets and burning tonnes of rocket fuel up into the upper atmosphere all the time!
Appreciate 4
gangzoom1643.00
sahajesh2290.00
RhysoTDI180.50
      09-08-2021, 05:29 AM   #51
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
It does make me laugh that Tesla EV is supposed to save the planet from carbon but on the other hand with no doubt some of the money being made from them he's firing rockets and burning tonnes of rocket fuel up into the upper atmosphere all the time!
Best post today
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 11:14 AM   #52
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW I01 i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
We really do need to get off this rock if we are to continue to grow and progress as a species, doubly so if we fail to keep it habitable.

Or he could be going to harvest the great riches of the asteroid belt.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 01:33 PM   #53
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcC View Post
Or he could be going to harvest the great riches of the asteroid belt.
I don't think Musk needs any more crazy ideas......When he starts twitting about asteroid mining you should sue him for stealing your idea .
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 09:51 AM   #54
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbles View Post
I really like the look of that EV6 and it's not outrageously priced either. It'll be interesting to see what the 585bhp version is like and how much it shortens the range.
Man-maths tells me the cost of getting into an EV6 GT-line AWD 321bhp model is roughly the same as paying off/running the M40i over the next 37 months. Ish. Sort of...

Quite like their visualiser;

https://www.kia.com/eu/about-kia/ev6...re/#visualizer
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2021, 12:48 PM   #55
Bryans69
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyamigo View Post
Mat Watson review of the EV6 which he seemed impressed with.

Richard Symons comparison of the Model 3 to the Model Y.

That Model Y is no looker. And what are they thinking with that boot. Why make an 'SUV' with such a low boot height? But then I don't get the X4 / X6 / Q8 etc either......
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 01:07 PM   #56
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyamigo View Post
Mat Watson review of the EV6 which he seemed impressed with.

Richard Symons comparison of the Model 3 to the Model Y.

That Model Y is no looker. And what are they thinking with that boot. Why make an 'SUV' with such a low boot height? But then I don't get the X4 / X6 / Q8 etc either......
Yes, SUV is really pushing it as a definition of the Model Y.

It's a crossover and not a very tall one, according to
Google it's 7cm shorter than a X3 and 10cm taller than a model 3. An Ioniq 5 is 5mm taller and I don't think that's even being labelled as a crossover ( I liked Car's description of it as a superhatch).

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 01:38 PM   #57
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

That EV6 does look good and I was all for until he mentioned the head rests, that would be a killer with my back!
Again for Tesla look at the model Y by any sensible stretch the perfect car for me, family sized still quick car that I can charge at home. Yet I would in no way consider it due to its looks.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2021, 02:23 PM   #58
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:

Google it's 7cm shorter than a X3 and 10cm taller than a model 3. An Ioniq 5 is 5mm taller and I don't think that's even being labelled as a crossover ( I liked Car's description of it as a superhatch).
I like the model Ys dimensions, wouldnt want it to be much taller / fatter / longer than the 3.

I can live with the hatch SUV as its mainly for a dog for me. A boot is no good.

EV6 might be a bit big for what I need. And I looked at the finance, over 37 months with 8k deposit, its £700 a month. I pay less a month for the RS4 over 48 months......
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 02:56 PM   #59
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:

I like the model Ys dimensions, wouldnt want it to be much taller / fatter / longer than the 3.

I can live with the hatch SUV as its mainly for a dog for me. A boot is no good.

EV6 might be a bit big for what I need. And I looked at the finance, over 37 months with 8k deposit, its £700 a month. I pay less a month for the RS4 over 48 months......
Absolutely not knocking the dimensions, just that it's not an SUV and shouldn't be saddled with the expectations, brickbats and bouquets associated with that.

Appreciate 1
isleaiw18608.50
      09-09-2021, 03:08 PM   #60
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Absolutely not knocking the dimensions, just that it's not an SUV and shouldn't be saddled with the expectations, brickbats and bouquets associated with that.
Ah, the media preoccupation with pigeonholing....

Its an electric family car to me, no more or less. But what is a SUV - sports, utility vehicle. Well its quick and handles pretty well. It has flexible space with a tailgate and fold down seats so pretty utility. And its vehicle. But then I'd describe my car as a SUV too..... I am not sure a utility vehicle has to be able to tow a caravan across a ploughed vehicle....
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 03:08 AM   #61
Bryans69
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ah, the media preoccupation with pigeonholing....
I'm not sure it's media pigeonholing, but how the manufacturers are trying to market it, and maybe the media saying "hold on" ?

Quote:
Its an electric family car to me, no more or less. But what is a SUV - sports, utility vehicle. Well its quick and handles pretty well. It has flexible space with a tailgate and fold down seats so pretty utility. And its vehicle. But then I'd describe my car as a SUV too..... I am not sure a utility vehicle has to be able to tow a caravan across a ploughed vehicle....
This is a good point. When I look at the Model X, I see an S Max Coupe. Nothing wrong with that, as everyone I know with more that 2 kids drives one, or an equivalent.

I get the American idea of an SUV, where you'd load up the back with beer and guns, and head for a cabin 20 miles from the nearest road, but here? Very few activities require, or allow you, to drive far from a carpark that is 200 metres from a road. Muddy field is normally about the worst you get. And based on my experience, you'll see more estate cars and vans, as they are more practical than the equivalent priced "SUV"

I'm sure the Model Y is very good (if you can get past the looks), and will probably sell boatloads, but SUV? Not convinced.

I still think that in a few years time, SUV marketing will be seen as the model to follow
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 08:38 AM   #62
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

Pure SUV's have two factors that punish range when in EV form, aerodynamics and weight. Hence it is surprising to see manufactures toning down typical SUV features when designing EV " crossovers"
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 09:19 AM   #63
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgreenwood View Post
Pure SUV's have two factors that punish range when in EV form, aerodynamics and weight. Hence it is surprising to see manufactures toning down typical SUV features when designing EV " crossovers"
Rivian:

"hold my beer"
      09-10-2021, 10:30 AM   #64
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

A lot of good mentions for the EV6 and Ioniq5 here, on looks I;d have the hyundai but there a lot more to it all than that. Car Mag this week on

T M3 LR for 'just' another £1500 this car is 0-60 3.7s
Ioniq5
Polestar 2
Audi eQ4

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-re...tesla-model-3/
      09-10-2021, 10:35 AM   #65
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
A lot of good mentions for the EV6 and Ioniq5 here, on looks I;d have the hyundai but there a lot more to it all than that. Car Mag this week on

T M3 LR for 'just' another £1500 this car is 0-60 3.7s
Ioniq5
Polestar 2
Audi eQ4

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-re...tesla-model-3/
Yes I read that review. Shame about the comments on the Hyundai's ride. Although relative to a Disco it may feel autobahn steady!

Appreciate 1
JustChris17427.50
      09-10-2021, 11:01 AM   #66
Nibbles
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Quote:
Yes I read that review. Shame about the comments on the Hyundai's ride. Although relative to a Disco it may feel autobahn steady!
According to Auto Express this week there's a hot version being tested which will hopefully fix that. I'm looking forward to driving the EV6 to find out if waiting for a GT version will be worth it. If not I might wait to see what Hyundai can do instead as the 5 seems more practical than the EV6 but I'm undecided on the looks as although there are shades of Integrale about it, there are also angles from which its more Austin Maestro.
Appreciate 2
isleaiw18608.50