F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Lockdown - Christmas 2021
Studio RSR

11-27-2021, 09:41 AM   #111
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando72 View Post
I agree in part. But if you're letting everyone rush back now in high numbers, whole rugby teams for example, who are prime risks, it seems a little like a half measure.

Flights and airports chock full of people as they travel back from Africa over a few short days. What could go wrong.
I know, always seems they make exceptions. Still, didn't have to wait long as we have 2 cases of the new variant in the UK now (Chelmsford and Nottingham). https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59445388
Unfortunately if there are two in the UK there are probably more. Watch the spread over the next two to three weeks and that will give us a chance to see where we stand with this variant. We will see it soon in the US. If it is spreading due to travel and then person to person spread in that new country and it is more infectious than delta, we will see increasing numbers all over the world as hit the holiday season. As long as there is no change in the infection or disease profile, there is not likely to be major health issues….if there are changes for the worse than we should start putting masks on and maybe start worrying.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 01:50 PM   #112
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Good to see pre emptive steps being announced earlier and the mask policy should have stayed anyway.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2763.00
      11-27-2021, 04:02 PM   #113
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Good to see pre emptive steps being announced earlier and the mask policy should have stayed anyway.
Not good in the slightest, and I think it's evident a lot of people are getting very tired of it now too
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 04:35 PM   #114
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaEugence View Post
Not good in the slightest, and I think it's evident a lot of people are getting very tired of it now too
That's a shame, getting tired of staying safe. Must be hard, having to think of others for a little while....
Appreciate 2
Rbrown2763.00
      11-27-2021, 04:39 PM   #115
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:
That's a shame, getting tired of staying safe. Must be hard, having to think of others for a little while....
It's getting on two years.
Almost every adult is vaccinated with the most vulnerable a long time ago and now triple vacc'd also. Let's restore some sanity and remember life isn't risk free and it's getting a bit ridiculous now. There will forever be new variants, we can't keep coming back to this every time there's one which is a bit more concerning.
Appreciate 4
Pentland1708.50
Stainy265.00
G50932.00
JR16641146.50
      11-27-2021, 04:40 PM   #116
Hartside
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 128ti

Just back from northern Spain, everyone wearing masks in the workplace and also in all other settings with no complaints, they just get in with it. I seriously cannot see what is so difficult about it here
Appreciate 4
Ennoch2257.00
Rbrown2763.00
      11-27-2021, 04:51 PM   #117
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartside View Post
Just back from northern Spain, everyone wearing masks in the workplace and also in all other settings with no complaints, they just get in with it. I seriously cannot see what is so difficult about it here
Brits believe they/we have some kind of natural immunity to anything dangerous.

We used to rule the world, don't you know?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 04:54 PM   #118
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
We used to rule the world, don't you know?
Some people think we still do.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2021, 05:24 PM   #119
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i MPPSK.

Quote:
Yes, I've just come back from working in France during last weekend.
Everyone wearing masks when on trains, Paris Metro, anywhere covered and public. No issues, no complaints.
It's also a requirement to show your vaccination passport (stating you've had both jabs) when your waiter/waitress takes your order in a restuarant. They beep it on a scanner.
If you haven't got one, you're asked to leave..
Excellent.!

I arrive in London on the Eurostar, hardly anyone in masks at Kings Cross and on the train home.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2021, 05:27 PM   #120
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
You could say it’s hard to think of others but do others think of you?

Sadly the trend in the UK seems to be one of self entitlement.
For example;
Out the other day in a shop Edinburgh, several people not wearing masks, one wearing a mask around their neck, one had a mask hanging off their ear. Sadly you can’t challenge people now for fear of being accused of being racist, sexist etc or simply aggressive repercussions. No one is held to account.
The net result is to play the “so long as I’m alright Jack” card and look after yourself.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 02:05 AM   #121
Nibbles
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Quote:
Quote:
You just have to put a bloody mask on in shops and on transport it's not tricky, it's not a real hardship. People just need to do it to help stop the spread so that, hopefully, further restrictive measures that really do affect peoples lives don't have to be put in place.
It's like dealing with a country full of disobedient toddlers.
Appreciate 7
Hartside266.50
isleaiw18750.00
sahajesh2294.00
      11-28-2021, 03:57 AM   #122
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
It's because they are adults there. Really can't believe people whine like toddlers over wearing a mask. Might as well complain about the societal norm of being clothed. Pathetic.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 3
Hartside266.50
isleaiw18750.00
      11-28-2021, 03:58 AM   #123
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbles View Post
Quote:
Quote:
You just have to put a bloody mask on in shops and on transport it's not tricky, it's not a real hardship. People just need to do it to help stop the spread so that, hopefully, further restrictive measures that really do affect peoples lives don't have to be put in place.
It's like dealing with a country full of disobedient toddlers.
Hah, I used the toddler analogy too before getting as far as your post.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 2
Nibbles856.00
isleaiw18750.00
      11-28-2021, 04:18 AM   #124
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D F30

Come Monday morning I’m not convinced in the slightest the train I get is going to be full of mask wearers.

If the variant is here and ‘spreading’ at the speed they claim then there is little we can do to stop it other than go back into full lockdown.

It’s quite clear any mitigations have minimal impact on the spread.

I have to wear a mask on a train on my way into work but can then go out for lunch or drinks with work colleagues unmasked and rammed in a London Pub.

Masks is all they have without resorting to extreme measures, they know they have little impact but they need to be seen to be doing ‘something’.

I’ve said this before but I wonder what would have happened if the health service had ample capacity, would they just accept more deaths?

Assuming I am in for a fine otherwise, I guess I will have to dig out the old masks for Monday then.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 04:21 AM   #125
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
It's getting on two years.
Almost every adult is vaccinated with the most vulnerable a long time ago and now triple vacc'd also. Let's restore some sanity and remember life isn't risk free and it's getting a bit ridiculous now. There will forever be new variants, we can't keep coming back to this every time there's one which is a bit more concerning.
Well 80% ish. out of what, 40 million. So about 8 million who arent, some because they cant be.... not quite almost all...

Once they know if the vaccine works against this strain I am sure they will react appropriately, but as a PM its unacceptable to say "do you know what, people are a bit tired of putting a mask on when in a shop or on a train, so we'll risk a couple of hundred thousand more deaths and the NHS collapsing"

Dont you think? And yes we can if we have to. They've asked you to wear a mask in a couple of places, its not a lockdown.... I dont get the problem!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 04:24 AM   #126
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
You could say it’s hard to think of others but do others think of you?

Sadly the trend in the UK seems to be one of self entitlement.
For example;
Out the other day in a shop Edinburgh, several people not wearing masks, one wearing a mask around their neck, one had a mask hanging off their ear. Sadly you can’t challenge people now for fear of being accused of being racist, sexist etc or simply aggressive repercussions. No one is held to account.
The net result is to play the “so long as I’m alright Jack” card and look after yourself.
I dont know, I was brought up with the saying "two wrongs dont make a right" so I still do it right if surrounded by a bunch of selfish t*ats.

Its like my tax return. We all know that some people dont declare all of their earnings, or even any of it - but I still do mine accurately. Because I should. If we all drop to the lowest level we might as well end civilisation now.
Appreciate 2
mcoops1757.00
      11-28-2021, 04:26 AM   #127
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well 80% ish. out of what, 40 million. So about 8 million who arent, some because they cant be.... not quite almost all...

Once they know if the vaccine works against this strain I am sure they will react appropriately, but as a PM its unacceptable to say "do you know what, people are a bit tired of putting a mask on when in a shop or on a train, so we'll risk a couple of hundred thousand more deaths and the NHS collapsing"

Dont you think? And yes we can if we have to. They've asked you to wear a mask in a couple of places, its not a lockdown.... I dont get the problem!
You’re assuming mask wearing is the silver bullet here, it’s not.

The only sure fire way to prevent most of those deaths is to go back into full lockdown. That or ensure everyone has an N95 type masks and wear it properly at all times, including then visiting family etc.

I’m not convinced in the slightest Shazza wearing her mask round her neck in Primark is causing 50k cases a day, not a chance. Household mixing and schools are the vectors for spread.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 04:28 AM   #128
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKing View Post
Come Monday morning I’m not convinced in the slightest the train I get is going to be full of mask wearers.

If the variant is here and ‘spreading’ at the speed they claim then there is little we can do to stop it other than go back into full lockdown.

It’s quite clear any mitigations have minimal impact on the spread.

I have to wear a mask on a train on my way into work but can then go out for lunch or drinks with work colleagues unmasked and rammed in a London Pub.

Masks is all they have without resorting to extreme measures, they know they have little impact but they need to be seen to be doing ‘something’.

I’ve said this before but I wonder what would have happened if the health service had ample capacity, would they just accept more deaths?

Assuming I am in for a fine otherwise, I guess I will have to dig out the old masks for Monday then.
Well it doesnt kick in till Tuesday so probably not much change on Monday...

The train is a requirement to get to work, the pub optional. And its hard to eat and drink wearing a mask so if you are going to remove for 90 mins to eat, why put on to go to the bog?

your mask should be handy, after all they have been asking you to wear one out of respect for others all the time. Guess you dont respect others

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 04:30 AM   #129
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
You’re assuming mask wearing is the silver bullet here, it’s not.

The only sure fire way to prevent most of those deaths is to go back into full lockdown. That or ensure everyone has an N95 type masks and wear it properly at all times, including then visiting family etc.

I’m not convinced in the slightest Shazza wearing her mask round her neck in Primark is causing 50k cases a day, not a chance. Household mixing and schools are the vectors for spread.
As you say, the only way to stop spread is to stop mixing. Bit given some cant wfh and we all have to shop, doing what you can to help the spread with a mask is a start, without killing the economy again.

And on the basis that requiring you to wear one in the places people have to go is not such a big issue, that may help prevent the spread a little, why wouldnt you...?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 04:34 AM   #130
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
. Guess you dont respect others

Yup, that’s a sure fire way to get people to do what you think they should do.

You ever break the speed limit? Yes, well I guess you don’t care another others and you want them to die then!!! Christ almighty.

Same as the 20% unvaxxed, you calling them names etc will achieve nothing. We have to accept a number won’t be vaccinated and plan accordingly. It’s sat on 80% for months now.

I’ve been double jabbed but won’t be having a booster, my wife has decided she won’t be either. The goal posts keep moving, we’re gonna be jabbing babies every six month at this rate for a virus which has a virtually nil risk to them.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 04:51 AM   #131
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Here you go folks, it's simple enough.
Obviously not all masks are created equal. Wearing a filthy old rag around your neck is next to useless. An FFP2 or even better, an FFP3 mask worn properly will protect you and others. I've been in Portugal for a fortnight recently. They have one of the lowest infection rates around, not to mention having 88% of their entire population vaccinated. Everyone wears masks where they have to and people just get on with life. It's not difficult - unless you're a selfish thick British twat, of course.
Attached Images

isleaiw18750.00
      11-28-2021, 04:55 AM   #132
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
The goal posts keep moving, we’re gonna be jabbing babies every six month at this rate for a virus which has a virtually nil risk to them.
It's not about moving goal posts, its about keeping the virus the in check.

The vaccines has been nothing short of a miracle interms of reducing morbidity caused by the virus. I cannot actually remember the last COVID patient I sent to ITU, its certainly been 6 months of near 'normality' in hospitals.

The current policy of essentially letting the virus run rampant in the lowest risk groups - kids, has been working very well. I don't think I know of any parents whos kids haven't had a + test or at the very least been in class where a significant number have tested +. Essentially schools have done their job as with any virus in letting it spread round to build up immunity at virtually zero risk whilst the vaccines have protected the highest risk groups.

I'm quite surprised how hard/quickly the governments around the globe has actioned on this new variant. For countries like the UK where vaccine rates are really high in the high risk groups increased transmission poses no risk to anyone apart from those unvaccinated. So just increased transmission rates alone is no reason to do anything.

To essentially start putting in steps that will eventually lead to going to back to a Xmas lockdown like last year, there must be some serious concern from virologists that this mutant can sidestep the vaccine protection and cause increased morbidity, essentially taking us back to pre-vaccine days.

Time will well tell, and I think if there is even a hint this mutant is as worryingly as feared we'll be having Xmas lock down 2021 whilst the 4th modified booster dosage is deployed in the high risk population.
Appreciate 0