F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > First time to the dragstrip-- recommendations?
proTUNING Freaks

07-16-2020, 09:57 PM   #1
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
First time to the dragstrip-- recommendations?

Looks like tomorrow night will be my first outing to a local 1/4 mile prepped drag strip for a test and tune night and I'm curious about input. I've read a few of the 'bring lists' for track outings and those make sense, I do similarly for my autocross weekends.

I'm more interested in input about addressing heat soak when waiting for runs, etc. It's a 90°+ day tomorrow.

Any WOT pulls I've done are while driving and out on the road where I'm able to closely monitor IATs and bring the temp down by cruising before attempting another pull. I've seen some people use ice on the intake manifold side of the engine while dyno'ing, I assume that's an option if I want to bring a few 20 lb bags?. My mods are in my sig and heat is definitely something I'm watching if I'm just sitting and idling. If I'm out on that tarmac, in the sun, with a bunch of other hot cars, I can see IATs creeping up into the mid 120's F pretty easy. I hate the idea of going WOT with a starting temp that high.

I'm not looking for a glory run tomorrow or setting any records, just want to learn how to launch on a prepped surface and do it without damaging anything. What drag strip tricks or tips should I know?
Appreciate 0